BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

28 minutes ago, philipl said:

Turning all SWAG for a moment, yesterday should keep us in the Championship without relegation worries.

With Fleck, MacFazdean and Garrett likely to feature, the ice pack and stitches count in the opposition dressing rooms will go up quite a bit...

We might be a half physical team again. Remember when the big clubs were scared of our physicality. We’ve been SO soft in recent years 

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

It wouldn't surprise anybody.  It's been their MO for years.  

Another awful window. Still think we'll be looking nervously over our shoulder come April. 

Clear as day that Swag had the Wharton deal lined up to plug costs - where else was his 'next tranche of funding' coming from?

There's nothing to sell in summer so if the court issue isn't addressed, things should get interesting. 

Alternatively, if it is, the usual bollocks about ffp won't be an excuse for a year or two.  I'll not hold my breath. 

Still plenty to sell in the summer and they will. Dolan, Gally, Sigurdsson and Hyam all with just 1 year left assuming the options are taken up on the first two. That's probably £5m plus the Raya money. And Travis to be sold assuming he persists in asking for a transfer. Oh and there's decent money to be had for Carter too. It's not the lack of incoming funds but the refusal to spend any of it. 

• Like 2

Quick question re: loan with option to buy. If McGuire comes in and is really good is there anything to stop a club with more money to offer a bigger transfer fee or higher wages come the summer? Could McGuire just refuse and take a better offer?

2 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Mixed feelings over the window. Considering where we were yesterday morning, to pull three signings out of the bag isn’t bad going and at least we got McGuire over the line.

The Travis move makes less sense than all the others. Exactly the type of player we need but clearly off the pitch factors played a part.

Wharton hurts. The money is good but the timing clearly speaks to the dire financial situation we’re in. If Wharton going secures the club’s medium term financial future than so be it - but it’s going to need to be a big summer to fill all the gaps in the squad and justify the sale of our biggest asset.

Also, Elliott Jackson is completely out of the loop with what’s going on at the club. Declared everything was done after McGuire and was feeding off other journalists all day.

I think Jackson just sits at home reading social media and press agency sites. No insight whatsoever. 

7 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Went to bed last night after the McGuire signing very disillusioned and actually was going to come on here and ask for Waggots and Broughtons e mail addresses to let them know what I thought of their transfer window.

Woke up to find we had signed John Fleck (on another short term deal admittedly) and after some thought I am hoping this is the case :

Certainly we lacked leaders and experience as admitted by JDT and these two certainly bring both of those qualities without doubt.

I should know better after all this time with these owners , but I am prepared to accept that the Wharton money may have come to late to do any major deals and to possibly make some mistakes by panic signings

IF that money is made available in the Summer (and it won't be £18m) then it gives the recruitment team breathing space to identify targets.

Let's see if Broughton confirms that in his post window assessment. If not I'll be back on asking for those e mail addresses 

It’s vital we get some assurance from GB about summer. Unlike Waggot he’s not a cold lier.

As a temporary fix this squad is okay, really think Fleck will make a difference and for me he’s the signing of the window along with the Crewe lad.

We just need confidence that replacements will be made in summer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheWeasel said:

Quick question re: loan with option to buy. If McGuire comes in and is really good is there anything to stop a club with more money to offer a bigger transfer fee or higher wages come the summer? Could McGuire just refuse and take a better offer?

I might be wrong, but isn't this part of what went on with O'Brien. We have to have agreed terms of a contract with the player which will come into force if we execute the option? Not that there's any way we will be spending £5.5m on a striker in the summer, regardless of how he performs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheWeasel said:

No and Yes.

But we're not likely to be paying the sort of sums quoted anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

Can't believe we didn't offload Gallagher and bring in Mcguire who's 5 or so years younger permanently effectively for free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

IF he's fit. Hardly played this season, and the Yorkshire Post reports that he's been beset with injury problems.

Might as well have signed Paul Gascoigne. 

• Like 3

Just to play devil's advocate as there's a lot of negativity going around and I won't get into whether it's justified or not, everyone has their feelings on it. But we brought in 8 players, yes we didn't spend a lot, but neither did any championship side and we brought in more players than any other championship side. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
40 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Only problem with that is, ours has @K-Hodin 😂 

Cheeky swine! You were slagging off this forum as being extremist in that chat, yet here you are 😀.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, waynerovers said:

Just to play devil's advocate as there's a lot of negativity going around and I won't get into whether it's justified or not, everyone has their feelings on it. But we brought in 8 players, yes we didn't spend a lot, but neither did any championship side and we brought in more players than any other championship side. 

The main worry for me is did we spew a big chunk of the Wharton fee on loan fees in desperation just to plug gaps and how much agents fees have we spent again ?

If its been done on the cheap then as annoying as it is it might not be a bad thing but if that lot has cost c4 r 5 mill in associated expenses that is an outright disaster.

Because that money is gone, dead in the water.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about McGuire, it's just a shame that we probably won't sign him even if he does well

Sure we will. If his values raises we can sell him on for a profit, so it would make sense not so sign him if he does well.

19 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It’s vital we get some assurance from GB about summer. Unlike Waggot he’s not a cold lier.

As a temporary fix this squad is okay, really think Fleck will make a difference and for me he’s the signing of the window along with the Crewe lad.

We just need confidence that replacements will be made in summer.

How can Broughton give assurances about anything?

Summertime budget cut after bringing in 2 players

January making cash bids for players 24 hours later we can only sign players till the end of the season.

• Like 2

Just now, rob_of_the_rovers said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about McGuire, it's just a shame that we probably won't sign him even if he does well

Watching his YouTube highlights doesn't inspire confidence. Likewise Broughtons track record for signing strikers - Hurst,Ennis, Telalovic - none of whom have scored a league goal yet. 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

What's to stop some other team buying him instead if he does well enough?

Usually the ‘option’ in loan-with-option includes first refusal, hence the elevated fee.

• Like 5

Just now, rob_of_the_rovers said:

What's to stop some other team buying him instead if he does well enough?

The purchase option is solely ours so there's an agreement for that already in place. If he does so well that there are other bidders, we buy him first and move him on for a profit in the same window.

Theoretically.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheWeasel said:

If it is an obligation to buy, then if the player/Rovers meet the stated obligation (it may be appearances made, goals scored, Rovers finishing position etc) then the transfer becomes permanent (for example, the O'Brien deal was to be an obligation to buy IF Rovers were promoted)

If it is an option to buy rather than an obligation to buy, then Rovers would have first refusal to buy him for a set fee.

So in theory, if the option is £3M (I have no idea what it actually is) and he goes on to become the new Ronaldo and scores 20 odd goals before the end of the season, and other clubs want to buy him for £20M, Rovers would still have the first refusal at £3M and then could turn around a quick sale for a profit of £17M.

* All figures and fees are made up for the sake of example

• Like 3

Got enough body’s in and decent experience to keep us in the division, hopefully we can then see some of that £25-£30million reinvested in the summer window, squad needs an overhaul don’t mind a mass exodus at the end of this season

Has the fee involved for McGuire been confirmed anywhere? 

If it's the $7m option to buy that the American guy suggested then it's almost a laughable deal. Even if he tears the league up in the 20 or so games he's available there is no chance we're paying £5m for him. 

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

You can’t compare this place to anywhere else, because all of the most angry, most reactive, most short sighted, most regularly dismissive of others and arrogant, the most likely to be finger pointing and blaming other fans…

They’re already here! Moderates have been chased out in droves. 

This one ever meet thenodrog?

• Like 1