BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I don't think this needs to be made into something bigger or more elaborate. I think it is actually quite simple.

People on the ground, manager, Broughton, Silvester, do what they need to do to get the deal ready for finalising.

One of the final steps on this route is Indian approval. No purchases or cash commitments can be made without,

That approval doesn't come through in time. Either because they are busy doing more important things with their time, far too important to concern themselves with this organisation, can't agree on whether to do it or are bullshitters when it comes to money and won't authorise it despite previously promising to, fundamentally the end result is the same - no authorisation and therefore no transfer.

People on the ground are understandably left looking rather silly, so they can either be honest and blame the Indians and lose their jobs, or make up various increasingly unbelievable excuses but keep their jobs.

I can believe this scenario…

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lraC said:

Funny how there were no issues sorting the sale of Wharton out. We could have done with his transfer away being messed then we could have kept him for the remainder of the season at least.

The conspiracy theory may just be that, just like an error on the funds they sent, which we supposed to be for the club, but were accidentally used to buy a house and fund a pop star. 

There were issues though…the deal went through & was confirmed relatively late. Multiple journalists were saying there was a late snag…nothing we do presently is efficient/effective…clown car club

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBlue said:

I'm finding the situation so farcical that it becomes almost implausible for our executives to have made such a mistake again.

Just beggars belief!

It surely does…but we are building up quite the portfolio of rank incompetence aren’t we ? Those Orlando guys put an amazing Twitter thread together in hours from scratch because so much madness has taken place under the current owners. 

My point about the 'conspiracy' was that a lot of clear-thinking, intelligent members of this board are repeating it, so has this been leaked from somewhere, however tenuous? 

Also, in relation to our McGuire cock-up and alleged appeal, has the Athletic story been corroborated by anyone else, as I assumed it would have by now, similary to when the O'Brien debacle was corroborated and confirmed? There was more than one source of that story.

I do believe that there was/is a problem, as there hasn't been a squeak about DM on the Rovers website since Fri(Thurs?).

27 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

There were issues though…the deal went through & was confirmed relatively late. Multiple journalists were saying there was a late snag…nothing we do presently is efficient/effective…clown car club

I've been wondering if we could hire a clown car to drive round EP, pre-match.

• Like 2

It's 100% incompetence and we're seeing two different camps pulling in different directions, two different goals working against each other, if you drew a Venn diagram between Venky's, the financial side versus JDT and GB on the footballing side, there'd be little crossover. "Versus" would be the right word too. 

Just look at the way the club communicates with the fans on any serious matter over the last 10 years, that tells you all you need to know, it's classless and without any love or care. I don't include JDT and GB in that, I think they're exempt from criticism in that regard. 

It's why United are struggling, doesn't matter what manager you have, if from the top down there's not a clear goal with everyone drawing in the same direction the issues bleed down from the top and disrupt everything. 

It's why Brentford and Brighton, and even clubs like Luton are enjoying success - everyone at the club knows their role and the feeling of confidence and belief resonates through the entire business. We are totally the opposite. 

• Like 5

The problem with these last minute deals is that if they are not tied up by 6 pm our time due to the time difference with India the raos have gone to bed with do not disturb hanging outside the door 

• Like 3

If you were to imagine a timeline, but rather than dates it was incompetence and intentional disruption by Venkys - looking at the below where do you land 

Jdt pointing to Suhail and Waggot directly in the first press conference following him being silenced

Gregg working at well respected clubs (Bodo, Norwich) 

Sylvester being a club sec longer than Orlando has been a club 

McGuire sat waiting till the last minute then ferried around the north west in the back of a car 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

There is a long list of documents which are required to be sent to the EFL before they’ll okay a transfer.

They should (but clearly can’t!) be able to get these right every time.

Yeah, they’re all Standard docs that get filed easily and will be part of a package we have laid out. Rick here, sign here, etc. most of which get done by a secretary/staff while negotiations take place, especially on deadline day when time is tight. That is why this makes no sense, it’s not like we’d had several days to fill out the bulk of the paperwork ready to go 

• Like 2

I hope McGuire's mum gives them hell. Hell hath no fury an' all that.

I'm imagining her giving Waggott and co a right ticking off, proper handbag to the face job, while young Duncan is stood there in full kit clutching his happy meal from Clitheroe maccy d's.

• Like 8

Surely Gregg has no choice but to resign if the Dunc deal does not go through. You cannot come out in the press a year ago and say you take full responsibility and new measures are in place to ensure that doesn't happen again...and then a year later the same thing happens again. This year is even worse as we actually announced the signing.

Talk of of a pre-contract being done if it doesn't get ratified now. That seems a long way off though with the very real prospect that we may be in league 1 next season.

Edited by rovers11

It will go against us and there's no getting out of this one for them.

I have every faith in their level of incompetence... I said at the start of the window, you can't function properly as a club with owners like this.

These things will happen again and again and again until they are gone.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Surely Gregg has no choice but to resign if the Dunc deal does not go through. You cannot come out in the press a year ago and say you take full responsibility and new measures are in place to ensure that doesn't happen again...and then a year later the same thing happens again. This year is even worse as we actually announced the signing.

Talk of of a pre-contract being done if it doesn't get ratified now. That seems a long way off though with the very real prospect that we may be in league 1 next season.

All depends on whether the issue was under his control. The change from purchase to loan was very late - so difficult to say if the owners threw in a last minute curve ball.

I would say it might make his position untenable - but that would be his decision - and those with a mortgage etc  will understand why he may decide to stay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I'm sorry I do not get the stick for GB, there's loads of comments online about him - it's all about those above him. He came out in the press last year as he's the only person who could do it, and it's his job, I think SW could have done it, but he's just a shitehawk. I think both deals have been scuppered by others, not GB. It's just plain sad.  

There's two things I'm confused about:

1) Why has JDT gone from "ask gregg" to suddenly "ask steve and sunhail"?

2) Our recruitment was better under Mowbray, and some say that Hyam, Brittain and Szmodics weren't GB signings. So are GB and his team actually worse at finding and sourcing players, have they less real-world football connections, using just pure pass-completion data bollocks from excel spreadsheets, or has his "project" changed as well, and he's now working with his hands tied behind his back too, forced to scrape the bargain basement just to get bodies through the door?

If that's the case I have sympathy for him, he has to front up and take it on the chin. He's got every right to be frustrated as we do but is trying to present a positive front, possibly just to save his job. Maybe that's the issue. If Gregg walked, I'd have a lot of respect for him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Why has JDT gone from "ask gregg" to suddenly "ask steve and sunhail"?

This is when Tomasson was asked about the McGuire deal. It's widely reported that the Board blockaded the permanent deal, and I presume that will have been communicated to Waggott and Shaikh who are probably the only conduits between the Board and the employees and contractors (Broughton and Tomasson).

Whether or not it was said in the sense of Broughton having already gone from the club, we won't know until the fallout of this repetitive saga.

• Like 1

Everything been brushed under the carpet today then?

JDT refusing to walk without a pay off, owners refusing to shell out to pay him off, our DOF mute as usual on the window in general and Mcguire in particular and as with 12 months ago no obvious accountability for anyone for another calamitous failure?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

I'm sorry I do not get the stick for GB, there's loads of comments online about him - it's all about those above him. He came out in the press last year as he's the only person who could do it, and it's his job, I think SW could have done it, but he's just a shitehawk. I think both deals have been scuppered by others, not GB. It's just plain sad.  

There's two things I'm confused about:

1) Why has JDT gone from "ask gregg" to suddenly "ask steve and sunhail"?

2) Our recruitment was better under Mowbray, and some say that Hyam, Brittain and Szmodics weren't GB signings. So are GB and his team actually worse at finding and sourcing players, have they less real-world football connections, using just pure pass-completion data bollocks from excel spreadsheets, or has his "project" changed as well, and he's now working with his hands tied behind his back too, forced to scrape the bargain basement just to get bodies through the door?

If that's the case I have sympathy for him, he has to front up and take it on the chin. He's got every right to be frustrated as we do but is trying to present a positive front, possibly just to save his job. Maybe that's the issue. If Gregg walked, I'd have a lot of respect for him. 

My guess as to the answers to your questions

1) It was Gregg who appointed JDT and probably made promises to him when doing so. Nominally Gregg is the boss when it comes to recruitment and signings. So I expect in the early days JDT assumed, like most people would, that Gregg was in control of this and that when things went right or wrong he was responsible for it.

I think JDT has learned over the last 12 months that actually Gregg is another who has been played like a fiddle and made into a scapegoat when the problems lie much higher up the chain, and I suspect JDT even has some sympathy for Gregg, and is doing his best to turn the focus onto the real problem here, and the chuckle brothers who occupy the directors box.

2) I believe that Mowbray had a 'personal' link to the owners due to his trips to India and that as a result of this he essentially had his own power base and authority to do certain things, within reasonable limits. I suspect this is the reason why Mowbray had more freedom, he was effectively unsackable whilst under contract and he was able to go out into the market and recruit under his own steam (e.g. Hedges). The shift to the D of F structure has severed any link between India and the team management and instead left the shadow man as the only direct link to India. As such the only way anything happens is through him and when India approve it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Any update on Duncan McGuire???

Rest assured, if it was good news, we would have known.

The might try to bury it, under some other news, such as Greg has walked or Steve has been recruited by Tesco Burnley branch.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My guess as to the answers to your questions

1) It was Gregg who appointed JDT and probably made promises to him when doing so. Nominally Gregg is the boss when it comes to recruitment and signings. So I expect in the early days JDT assumed, like most people would, that Gregg was in control of this and that when things went right or wrong he was responsible for it.

I think JDT has learned over the last 12 months that actually Gregg is another who has been played like a fiddle and made into a scapegoat when the problems lie much higher up the chain, and I suspect JDT even has some sympathy for Gregg, and is doing his best to turn the focus onto the real problem here, and the chuckle brothers who occupy the directors box.

2) I believe that Mowbray had a 'personal' link to the owners due to his trips to India and that as a result of this he essentially had his own power base and authority to do certain things, within reasonable limits. I suspect this is the reason why Mowbray had more freedom, he was effectively unsackable whilst under contract and he was able to go out into the market and recruit under his own steam (e.g. Hedges). The shift to the D of F structure has severed any link between India and the team management and instead left the shadow man as the only direct link to India. As such the only way anything happens is through him and when India approve it.

One other important factor here too, Steve and Tony are pals.

• Like 2