BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Chelsea (a) - 1/11/23 - Carabao Cup

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you must be watching someone else because he certainly is`nt slow,needs to work on his final ball but otherwise,he`s an improvement on markanday and dolan

I must be because hes certainly not fast and especially out wide.

Neat and tidy, technically fine, but doesnt really achieve much. What does he really offer to worry teams?

An improvement on Dolan and Markanday is a very low bar, but im not convinced he is, or if he is, not much. 

The front 4 today were all similar, that attack wouldnt do much damage in League 1. 

• Like 1

A Rovers 11 starting 7 academy graduates, and only 1 player over 25 gave a good account of themselves. 

It was always going to be hard, especially with Rovers having no goal threat, but the goals conceded were very poor. A half slap and a bad pass cost 2 goals. Without those incidents and if Chelsea kept Nico Jackson on it may have gone to penalties.

It's been pointed out many times this season and it really stood out tonight; Rovers are a small side. Chelsea's players were much much bigger and looked miles stronger than the Rovers lads. 

• Like 4

Extended highlights courtesy if the EFL 

Also the slightly longer version from Chelsea FC

I'll post the Rovers version of the extended highlights when they appear on YouTube...... Warning.... Do not hold your breath.......

I watched the match live via the Chelsea feed.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Not a bad night, huge gulf in class, skill and strength but Rovers gave a good account of themselves. Two silly, soft goals given away and Leonard and Siggurdson should have scored but they are the differences that big money buys. The Rovers support was excellent as always 

A few observations 

Harry Pickering will have nightmares about Raheem Sterling. I’ve not seen a player given the run around like that for a long time. Otherwise the Rovers defence played well, Brittains gaffe for the 2nd notwithstanding

We need another goalkeeper. The lad inspires no confidence whatsoever and he’s going to cost us alot of points this season.

I didn’t understand the subs. Garret looked out of his depth so why did he stay on? Ennis is embarrassingly awful and one of those players you wonder how he became a pro.

The standout for me was the difference kn physicality between the teams. Chelsea were big and strong and some of our lot are like schoolboys in comparison 

The gulf is incredible. Chelsea’s third string, loaned out players included, would beat our first, I would guess.

I don’t know if everyone is aware of the chasm that is accelerating and how terrible it is for the game.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Extended highlights courtesy if the EFL 

Also the slightly longer version from Chelsea FC

I'll post the Rovers version of the extended highlights when they appear on YouTube...... Warning.... Do not hold your breath.......

I watched the match live via the Chelsea feed.

Thanks

The Leonard opportunity looks worse than first thought. Especially from the angle. He will learn though 

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

The gulf even within the Premier League is ridiculous. 

Look at the dingles. They absolutely pissed this league last year, spent 133 million and are second bottom. 

I raised the point last year that when we were promoted, we finished 10th and won a trophy, both of the other teams also stayed up. I speculated that the dingles would have no chance of that. So far I've been proven right. 

The whole parachute payments is a total scam and is designed solely to benefit the Premier League and make it a closed shop. The payments are only made to clubs who fail to get promoted on the first attempt, and the money that doesn't go to the clubs that do this just stays in the Premier League. 

Massive brutal changes are required to sort this out but they are highly unlikely to happen as they would lead to the wealthiest clubs being knocked down a few pegs. 

At least some of us got to experience football as a competitive sport that was entertaining to watch.

When we were promoted to the Premier League for the first time we finished 4th. And with only 2 new signings--mind  you the signings were quite good!

I agree with you about the ever-widening gap, all about money.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Our pride is still intact as we put in a good performance against a team full of internationals from all over the world. Our game plan was really good and generally worked but against the quality Chelsea have we were punished for two mistakes, mistakes which we could possibly get away with in the Championship. In fact I reckon we created the two best chances of the game with Leonard and Sigurdsson missing when clean through. Throw in the clear penalty we should have had which somehow the referee couldn't see how unnatural the position of the Chelsea players arm was and it gives a clear picture of how well we played. We weren't overawed or intimidated and at times out passed them with Adam Wharton and James Hill looking quite comfortable against some top players.

On the night their class told but there was lots of pride from the Rovers fans in West London last night. I listened to some Chelsea supporters on the tube after the match and they were complimentary towards us particularly 'that skinny kid in midfield' 😁😁

A thin Jan Molby perhaps?

• Like 4

Always going to be tough but the team done themselves proud. Fans brilliant as always throughout the whole game. It felt like a shop window game for me, don't take that as a bad thing either because a lot of positives come out of that game. Young Wharton matching world cup winners in the midfield, Chelsea fans raving about him on social media. He is going to the very top and will take some deal to get him

• Like 1

Notwithstanding Chelsea's 8 injuries, Pochetino  put out a seriously strong side last night and there was a clear gulf in class between the two sides. Not entirely surprising considering the Chelsea squad has cost north of a billion and Rovers under 10 million- a mere 100 to 1 ratio.

Our starting team last night had cost 2.5 million.

That said, the difference on the football pitch was two gifted goals, two penalty decisions not given and Rovers not taking our chances when we made them.

Could have been a very interesting night without those two mistakes- much as I like Wahlstedt, palming the ball to the Chelsea defender at the corner was a horror error and his premature release of the ball put Brittain into a nightmare situation which Callum should have gone Row Z with. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Jdt mentions the penalty twice

LT report

Callum Brittain - 7

Did well against the very lively Sterling. Could've earned Rovers a penalty but the referee waved away the strong claim

I didn't see it and the highlights don't show it.  Was it that bad a decision?

Brittain crossed it and Gallagher turned his back with his arm out. Hit the arm and should have been a penalty. If VAR was in use then it would have been given.

Edited by Polky
  • Like 4

I thought we did ok, two poor mistakes costing us. As to be expected, they looked bigger and stronger but I am getting really frustrated about over playing, why will no one seemingly pull the trigger and have a shot. Would have liked to have seen Ennis on much earlier, sometimes you need a bit of physical presence to try a plan B and we were never going to win that game outplaying them. Fans did there bit, loud and proud whilst the Chelsea fans tried to match the morgue like match atmosphere that very sadly, mostly prevails at Ewood.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

LT report

Callum Brittain - 7

Did well against the very lively Sterling. Could've earned Rovers a penalty but the referee waved away the strong claim

VAR would have given both penalties.

Gallagher arm was outstretched (unnatural) and in the slow mo replay he slaps the ball with his hand. I watched a Russian feed and they replayed the incident four times in play during the first half.

In the second half, Cucarella shoves the Rovers player to make him miss his header. I had the Chelsea feed second half and the incident looked iffy in real time. It got replayed from a different angle a couple of minutes later and the Chelsea commentator just said "oh"... It was absolutely blatant.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NeilInBristol said:

Thanks

The Leonard opportunity looks worse than first thought. Especially from the angle. He will learn though 

He doesn’t “learn” though. He misses far too many. Last night he didn’t even hit the target. I was right behind the goal. It was a bad miss, worse than Siggi, and should have been a goal

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

LT report

Callum Brittain - 7

It is in the EFL highlights posted by AllRoverAsia. Could see it clearly from the far end of the pitch, no idea how the ref and linesman could miss it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

VAR would have given both penalties.

Gallagher arm was outstretched (unnatural) and in the slow mo replay he slaps the ball with his hand.

In the second half, Cucarella shoves the Rovers player to make him miss his header.

I agree on both counts there, that the penalties would have been given by VAR.

I do wonder if the push on Wharton was done with the defender knowing full well, there was no VAR. I suspect he would not have done that in a league game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Polky said:

Brittain crossed it and Gallagher turned his back with his arm out. Hit the arm and should have been a penalty. If VAR was in use then it would have been given.

The referee had a clear view. Why didn’t he give it? 

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

He doesn’t “learn” though. He misses far too many. Last night he didn’t even hit the target. I was right behind the goal. It was a bad miss, worse than Siggi, and should have been a goal

Pretty harsh that, as I reckon a bit more experience and a touch more confidence and he will gain the composure, to be finishing chances like that.

I think he will learn and will turn into a decent second tier striker, remember he is a young lad in his first season in the first team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, philipl said:

Notwithstanding Chelsea's 8 injuries, Pochetino  put out a seriously strong side last night and there was a clear gulf in class between the two sides. Not entirely surprising considering the Chelsea squad has cost north of a billion and Rovers under 10 million- a mere 100 to 1 ratio.

Our starting team last night had cost 2.5 million.

That said, the difference on the football pitch was two gifted goals, two penalty decisions not given and Rovers not taking our chances when we made them.

Could have been a very interesting night without those two mistakes- much as I like Wahlstedt, palming the ball to the Chelsea defender at the corner was a horror error and his premature release of the ball put Brittain into a nightmare situation which Callum should have gone Row Z with. 

Big money players don’t make those mistakes.

Just now, lraC said:

Pretty harsh that, as I reckon a bit more experience and a touch more confidence and he will gain the composure, to be finishing chances like that.

I think he will learn and will turn into a decent second tier striker, remember he is a young lad in his first season in the first team.

He’s going to be one of those strikers who needs 6 or 7 chances to score 1. 

• Like 2