BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Chelsea (a) - 1/11/23 - Carabao Cup

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Brian Clough used to say “ Nobody can lose you a game quicker than your goalkeeper, so sign the best one you can afford “. That was when he signed Peter Shilton.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing last night for the first goal. Schoolboy stuff and a poor schoolboy at that.

12-year-old schoolboys 

Someone said it was like a Sunday league goalkeeper, which is in fact an insult to Sunday league goalkeepers. I've rarely seen amateur keepers make the gaffes Wahlstedt (sp?) did at Millwall and Chelsea. 

Both of our goalkeepers are liabilities. Tomasson has to be ruthless.  Bring Pears back until January and find a better goalkeeper in the next transfer window

• Like 1

Can’t have too many complaints at the result. We should’ve had one, possibly 2 penalties, however the ref missed a blatant early one for them when Travis flew in after Sterling got away from Brittain.

Wahlstedt is now a definite concern. That limp slap for the first goal was a joke and would’ve been embarrassing for a kid playing in the park with their mates. His concentration seems to be really lacking and he often looks panicked. I didn’t have a good view at all of the second from in the ground, and I’ve watched it back on the highlights. It looks to me like Carter has pulled up, and someone is screaming “Leo, Leo, Leo”, but he seems oblivious and throws a silly ball out to Brittain whose pass was pathetic.

Pickering put in an honest performance but was absolutely brutalised due to his lack of pace. I’m pleasantly surprised he wasn’t sent off - which would’ve been an injustice as his early yellow was very soft. Britain’s performance was less honest and he hid sometimes. He’s so much more comfortable further up the pitch, out wide, with time and space. The ball becomes a hot potato when he’s under pressure. Travis got better when he realised throwing himself on the floor was less effective than trying to actually keep hold of the ball. Moran showed glimpses, Markanday ineffective and makes questionable decisions.

Hill, Carter and Adam Wharton were the big positives and didn’t look at all out of place. Once again Leonard has to be hitting the target with that chance where he got through. Would’ve been nice for the fans for Sigurdsson to score late on - that ball from Garrett was the best bit of play all game.

The big difference was our lack and their abundance of physicality. They were bigger, quicker and stronger all over the park.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

This is the same referee who last season:

Sent Jake Garrett off at Coventry - later rescinded.

Should have sent Jack Robinson off in the FA Cup quarter final at Sheffield United for a second yellow card.

Should have given us a penalty at Ewood when the dingle drunken driver handled the ball.

Should have sent Cork off in the same game for serious foul play after going over the ball with Dolan.

In the Sheffield United match he actually gave us a penalty for handball but that was only after a VAR intervention.

That is five KMI's wrong in probably four or five games where he refereed us

With such a litany of wrong key match incidents I believe Rovers should be writing to the PGMOL asking for an explanation as to why a full time official has got so many game changing decisions wrong against us.

Couldn’t agree more, how the linesmen and the referee both missed the handball, when it was plain to see from the far end of the stadium is pretty unbelievable.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Can’t have too many complaints at the result. We should’ve had one, possibly 2 penalties, however the ref missed a blatant early one for them when Travis flew in after Sterling got away from Brittain.

Wahlstedt is now a definite concern. That limp slap for the first goal was a joke and would’ve been embarrassing for a kid playing in the park with their mates. His concentration seems to be really lacking and he often looks panicked. I didn’t have a good view at all of the second from in the ground, and I’ve watched it back on the highlights. It looks to me like Carter has pulled up, and someone is screaming “Leo, Leo, Leo”, but he seems oblivious and throws a silly ball out to Brittain whose pass was pathetic.

Pickering put in an honest performance but was absolutely brutalised due to his lack of pace. I’m pleasantly surprised he wasn’t sent off - which would’ve been an injustice as his early yellow was very soft. Britain’s performance was less honest and he hid sometimes. He’s so much more comfortable further up the pitch, out wide, with time and space. The ball becomes a hot potato when he’s under pressure. Travis got better when he realised throwing himself on the floor was less effective than trying to actually keep hold of the ball. Moran showed glimpses, Markanday ineffective and makes questionable decisions.

Hill, Carter and Adam Wharton were the big positives and didn’t look at all out of place. Once again Leonard has to be hitting the target with that chance where he got through. Would’ve been nice for the fans for Sigurdsson to score late on - that ball from Garrett was the best bit of play all game.

The big difference was our lack and their abundance of physicality. They were bigger, quicker and stronger all over the park.

I felt sorry for Harry Pickering. His lack of pace and poor positional play, coupled with the lack of help and cover from either Garrett or Moran, allowed James and Sterling especially in the second half the freedom of the right flank. It was excruciating to watch.

It's game like these when you realise many of our players just aren't good enough for the higher levels - and Harry's one of them. 

Funnily enough, I though Markanday did OK, quite tidy, didn't give the ball away much and made some good runs. He's always going to struggle because of his size though,, he's such a little lad. Chelsea's big hulks just brushed him aside

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, lraC said:

Genuine question, as I have not followed him.

Him coming into the side last season coincided with them having a good run.

They won 7 of the 14 he started. It was the second half of the season when he came into the team. 

They won 5 of the 28 he didn't.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I felt sorry for Harry Pickering. His lack of pace and poor positional play, coupled with the lack of help and cover from either Garrett or Moran, allowed James and Sterling especially in the second half the freedom of the right flank. It was excruciating to watch.

It's game like these when you realise many of our players just aren't good enough for the higher levels - and Harry's one of them. 

It didn't help that he 'took a booking' for an innocuous shirt pull in the first half. He then became scared to tackle. After that he got a bit of a roasting.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Our group was right behind the goal. He didn’t need to lace the ball, it just needed a left foot side foot into the corner but he couldn’t even test the keeper. His age is irrelevant, it was a bad miss and he misses  a lot

Even going through on goal, I had no confidence that he was going to score. His eventual effort was terrible, really weak and off target.

He has missed a number of chances (he does find himself in good positions to be fair) and not only that, he keeps missing the target.

It was shit, we shouldn't be reluctant to say that because of his age. Of course, the fact that he is our main striker whilst Gallagher is out is a sad indictment on the owners and the cuts they have inflicted causing such a shoddy, thin squad.

19 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Good point on the Sterling penalty, it was a definite one after a stupid challenge.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Him coming into the side last season coincided with them having a good run.

They won 7 of the 14 he started. It was the second half of the season when he came into the team. 

They won 5 of the 28 he didn't.

Cheers and fair play to him.

• Like 1

I was very disappointed with our approach to the game last night. I always think we should play our strongest team in the latter stages of a cup no matter who the opposition is  . Markanday,  for example, was never going to have an impact against Chelsea and it gives the impression from the off that we are not too serious about trying to win the game. Our only chance against a team so much better and bigger than us is to get stuck in, get them rattled and hope they get riled and make mistakes. I thought Travis and Garrett may have been picked to do this but they hardly put a tackle in. We were never going to outplay them but we insisted in trying to play out of defence and it never transitioned into a serious acting threat and eventually gifted them a goal. We need to be much more direct sometimes as with Leonard 's chance and the goal at Millwall.  Not disgraced at all last night but I don't think we ever had enough belief in ourselves and I think the manager needs to work on that.

59 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I didn’t have a good view at all of the second from in the ground, and I’ve watched it back on the highlights. It looks to me like Carter has pulled up, and someone is screaming “Leo, Leo, Leo”, but he seems oblivious and throws a silly ball out to Brittain whose pass was pathetic.

Just watched it back myself & you're right, Carter has his hand up and you can clearly hear him screaming to Leo with his hand up clearly trying to tell him to 'hang on a minute'. If the mics around the pitch are picking it up above the crowd noise then surely he must be able to hear him.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

12-year-old schoolboys 

Someone said it was like a Sunday league goalkeeper, which is in fact an insult to Sunday league goalkeepers. I've rarely seen amateur keepers make the gaffes Wahlstedt (sp?) did at Millwall and Chelsea. 

Both of our goalkeepers are liabilities. Tomasson has to be ruthless.  Bring Pears back until January and find a better goalkeeper in the next transfer window

If we are being honest too Reece James had a shot in the first half that went through his legs and was only stopped because it hit him on the arse on the way down.

• Like 3

great atmosphere before and during the game from our fans. 

We played well, but my god ive not seen a side so allergic to shooting and crossing a football. Im not just talking baout last night but this is every game. Its actually painful to watch. Players 20 yards out refusing to shoot. Adam Wharton at 1-0 just before they scored the 2nd had the whole goal to shoot at 20 yards out, and decided to do the most impossible ball to leonard and it went out for a goal kick. Then sterling gets 1 sniff and thank you very much. All well and good passing it all game and looking nice, but just shoot or get the bloody ball in the bloody box. 

Im also fed up of free kicks, we put one hand on the ball then pass it as quick as possible. It was hammering with rain, nice and wet, great conditions to get shots off, we get a fee kick 23 yards out from goal, and we take a quick short free kick just to pass it some more and give it away. It really does my nut. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

A few things.  Whashdet or however u spell it isn't an upgrade on pears. How was that not a penalty? As for Leonard he isnt up to the standard.  Maybe in a couple of years. We desperately need a forward 

I was watching a Chelsea feed and the commentators said it looked a penalty for handball.

I'm warming to Leonard. He needs to build up his physical strength as he doesn't have lightning pace. He does have more of the look of a striker in the making that any others I've seen for us but he's way off the finished article.

Like all strikers he needs one in the onion bag asap.

• Like 2

Whilst he could and should have done better with his chance last night, Leonard is only just coming back from injury so probably needs a game or 2 more to get back up to full speed, not even some of the best players can come straight back in after injury and start banging them in, especially when leading the line on your own against some fairly hefty defenders. He chased and harried well and I do think he will become reasonably consistent in terms of scoring. He gets into the positions you'd want and that's half the battle. 

Deffo penalty last night, but I think our tactics were spot on. My mates a big Chelsea fan and he said they've struggled against teams who sit in a deep block, much like we do, so it actually was spot on. We just needed to be more clinical with our final passing. If that Moran chance had gone in it would easily have been goal of the round, great team move! 

I think JRC will move back to right back Sunday meaning that we could get Wharton in there, with Hill CB with Wharton snr.

Every keeper makes mistakes, obviously. Its the quantity and how bad they are. Wahlstedt has made 2 absolute howlers (especially the Millwall one) in the last 3 games. Throw in a total inability to catch a ball and you would not like to be a defender in front of him.

Kaminski made a couple of big mistakes when he was carrying an injury. Youll also find one or two others dotted around during his time here. But in general, he commanded his box, he made saves he wasnt entitled to and the defenders could feel comfortable with him behind them.

9 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

We played well, but my god ive not seen a side so allergic to shooting and crossing a football. Im not just talking baout last night but this is every game. Its actually painful to watch. Players 20 yards out refusing to shoot. Adam Wharton at 1-0 just before they scored the 2nd had the whole goal to shoot at 20 yards out, and decided to do the most impossible ball to leonard and it went out for a goal kick. Then sterling gets 1 sniff and thank you very much. All well and good passing it all game and looking nice, but just shoot or get the bloody ball in the bloody box. 

Im also fed up of free kicks, we put one hand on the ball then pass it as quick as possible. It was hammering with rain, nice and wet, great conditions to get shots off, we get a fee kick 23 yards out from goal, and we take a quick short free kick just to pass it some more and give it away. It really does my nut. 

Absolutely spot on.

1 hour ago, ruggles1995 said:

Been thinking about that one a lot today. Adam had time to shoot at goal with either foot and he's good enough to do it. Instead he choose the most difficult option.

They are brainwashed in their taking of free kick, corners and short passing from the keeper.... And not competent at what they try to do.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2