BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Chelsea (a) - 1/11/23 - Carabao Cup

Just seen the highlights. The first goal - wtf was our keeper doing ? I’d be shocked if a schoolboy keeper had done that. Second goal - you have to know “ when to stick and when to twist “. That wasn’t the time to be playing short balls around our box. If things carry on like this Pears will be straight back in when he’s fit again. 

Leonard did almost everything right, he showed good pace, ran in front of his marker so he either had to let him go or bring him down, then he put it wide of the post. Grr. Siggy wanted way too long with his chance. To get anything from games like that 1) your keeper has to have a blinder. 2) you have to take what ever chances come your way.

Neither of those things happened.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What do people think of Moran? I know he is a different player positionally but lots of similarities with Morton. Technically fine, neat and tidy but struggles to impact games. Slow, weak and no real spark.

you must be watching someone else because he certainly is`nt slow,needs to work on his final ball but otherwise,he`s an improvement on markanday and dolan

• Like 4

The difference in quality was clear. Especially in the areas that mean the most. Inside their box we really struggled to look dangerous often playing back. In ours they always seems a threat. There were moments where we did well but never really threatened. A chance with Leonard an hand ball that should have been a pk, but we didn’t really trouble them. All in all a good showing and one the lads can take pride in as they weren’t run off the pitch by a side that cost 20x ours. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you must be watching someone else because he certainly is`nt slow,needs to work on his final ball but otherwise,he`s an improvement on markanday and dolan

I think we'd be a better team with him starting as a #10 (he's a much better footballer than Szmodics) - but unfortunately (for him) our only consistent source of goals plays at #10. 

Not a bad night, huge gulf in class, skill and strength but Rovers gave a good account of themselves. Two silly, soft goals given away and Leonard and Siggurdson should have scored but they are the differences that big money buys. The Rovers support was excellent as always 

A few observations 

Harry Pickering will have nightmares about Raheem Sterling. I’ve not seen a player given the run around like that for a long time. Otherwise the Rovers defence played well, Brittains gaffe for the 2nd notwithstanding

We need another goalkeeper. The lad inspires no confidence whatsoever and he’s going to cost us alot of points this season.

I didn’t understand the subs. Garret looked out of his depth so why did he stay on? Ennis is embarrassingly awful and one of those players you wonder how he became a pro.

The standout for me was the difference kn physicality between the teams. Chelsea were big and strong and some of our lot are like schoolboys in comparison 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t believe we paid real money for the new lad.

I'll be honest, I actually like him. He's only young & obviously comes from a continental background where punching, rather than catching, is the norm.

As daft as it sounds, I'm not as nervous with him in goal as Pears. Not a patch on TK obviously, but I at least have confidence in him stopping a shot.

This punching shit needs to stop though & needs coaching out of him him - is BB the man to do this? I very much doubt it. All the drills I see online are shot stopping!! Nothing relating to dealing with crosses into the box under pressure! 

• Like 4

You can put together a decent championship Rovers team from our squad that didn’t play this evening!

Pears, JRC, Hyam, Szmodics, Tronstad, Hedges, Gallagher, Gilsenan etc

All of whom have contributed this season in league or cup.

Let’s not get overly carried away with a bonus match. Back to the bread and butter on Sunday, far more important issues at hand.

18 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think we'd be a better team with him starting as a #10 (he's a much better footballer than Szmodics) - but unfortunately (for him) our only consistent source of goals plays at #10. 

Yes, isn’t that where he plays for both his "parent club" and the Irish Republic u-21s?

19 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

I'll be honest, I actually like him. He's only young & obviously comes from a continental background where punching, rather than catching, is the norm.

As daft as it sounds, I'm not as nervous with him in goal as Pears. Not a patch on TK obviously, but I at least have confidence in him stopping a shot.

This punching shit needs to stop though & needs coaching out of him him - is BB the man to do this? I very much doubt it. All the drills I see online are shot stopping!! Nothing relating to dealing with crosses into the box under pressure! 

I could have sworn we bought Kempinski from a continental background??

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Of course we will lose a game but I will never predict my Rovers team to lose. 

This does make your predictions fairly pointless though. You might as well not make any, we already know you'd only say we'll win.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Harry Pickering will have nightmares about Raheem Sterling. I’ve not seen a player given the run around like that for a long time. Otherwise the Rovers defence played well, Brittains gaffe for the 2nd notwithstanding

We need another goalkeeper. The lad inspires no confidence whatsoever and he’s going to cost us alot of points this season.

I didn’t understand the subs. Garret looked out of his depth so why did he stay on? Ennis is embarrassingly awful and one of those players you wonder how he became a pro.

Think Pickering weakness (speed) is Stearlings best asset. That’s never a good match up for him. 

part of me thinks JDT knew it was a long shot. Chelsea a much bettter side than the 2 premier clubs we beat last year and with no European competition they can put more emphasis on the cup. Add to that our small squad and busy fixtures since the international break, it made sense to rest as many legs as we could. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t believe we paid real money for the new lad.

Walstedt plays as if he's wearing oven gloves. Very little is caught so inevitably some clearances land with an opponent. He also lacks physical presence. Pears will be back between the sticks as abject as he is. 

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I was really hoping that Markanday would kick on after his injury but he looked lost.
Nothing worked for him and what good  positions he did get into the end result was poor. 

He's just too slow to play out wide.

He might have a career as a #10, but he won't get that opportunity here. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Not a bad night, huge gulf in class, skill and strength but Rovers gave a good account of themselves. Two silly, soft goals given away and Leonard and Siggurdson should have scored but they are the differences that big money buys. The Rovers support was excellent as always 

A few observations 

The standout for me was the difference kn physicality between the teams. Chelsea were big and strong and some of our lot are like schoolboys in comparison 

Garrett played a wonderful ball in behind for the Sigurdsson chance - he needs playing time to progress.

With regards to Pickering, Johnson (the Nottingham Forest player... who I think they sold to Spurs?) absolutely abused him last year in the cup. He can't handle pace at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Leonard needs a loan out to practice his finishing in mens football. It worked for Carter.

The difference now is we can't afford to loan players out since the owners pulled the rug from under us.

That's always been my concern with Leonard - I think he's athletic enough to play as a lone striker (he's 5'11" I think?) and clearly has a very good footballing brain (his movement and link up play is very good for a 19/20 year old), but I do worry about his finishing. 

He should have scored today and realistically he should have taken one of his two chances against Swansea. I just don't see a natural finisher. 

• Like 3