BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea (h) - 28/10/23

No complaints today as I thought we were beaten by a better side.  Swansea moved the ball at pace and with purpose.  Their passing was crisp and they got the ball into dangerous areas which caused our defence problems.

It might have been different if we had taken the chance in the opening minutes - a perfect ball from Dolan which JRC and Brittain completely missed.

After the opening 15 minutes, Swansea took control with Grimes running the game in midfield.  Their front men were quick and always looked dangerous.

Too many of our players were slow and wanted too many touches which Swansea didn't allow.   As on Tuesday, Sigurdsson offered very little and it was no surprise that JDT said Sigurdsson and Brittain were removed for tactical reasons.  However, the changes didn't really work either.  

I think today highlighted just how threadbare our squad is becoming and with no likely reinforcements in January, unless there is a massive turnaround in the financial situation, mid-table looks the best we can hope for. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I agree. Plays for himself more than the team and is struggling to settle in to the way we play. He'll come good, just needs more time. With Smods and him having an off day at the same time, we don't have enough goalscorers in the team.

Lineup was probably due for a shakeup today, but noone deserved to be dropped after three wins in a row.

Exactly what we said, it's fair enough to play a winning line up, but he's been off it for the last 3 games. 

As you say, no doubt he'll come good, but maybe too much too soon. 

• Like 1

Disappointing result but I reckon that kind of sums up were we are at. Like so many Championship sides we are inconsistent and it'll likely leave us pottering around in mid table for the season. No real complaints about the final result.

We are really going to miss having Hyam in the team. He offers an assured and calm presence that Scott Wharton just doesn't have, which in turn will impact on Carter.

I suspect we might see Adam Wharton come in alongside Tronstad at Norwich, which in turn could mean JRC at right back with Hill moving into the CB role. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Norwich sack their manager soon, hopefully its not before we play them!

8 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

It might have been different if we had taken the chance in the opening minutes - a perfect ball from Dolan which JRC and Brittain completely missed

Brittain actually got a touch on it when he should have left it to JRC to tap in. JRC spent the rest of the first half shaking his head every time Brittain messed up (which was a lot)

6 minutes ago, lraC said:

I think I saw him holding his ribs. Possibly picked up a knock there.

He certainly wasn’t alone today but I thought he was really poor. Think he is trying to live up to the star billing a little bit too much, had numerous opportunities today and end product was either wrong decision or appalling efforts on goal. The real disappointment today was that the Swansea keeper’s contribution was largely limited to time wasting, I can’t recall him having to make a real save, nearest being Leonard’s header which was straight at him.

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

How did you guess…

“We made it easy for Swansea to get momentum and were sloppy on the ball. Those things happen when you concede a goal, especially with a young team.

Whilst there is an element of truth to it obviously it is wearing very thin now there's more than enough experience and ability to win matches as they've shown.

When we win it's because we are an exciting young side with togetherness and desire but every time we lose we are a young team lacking experience and expected to make mistakes.

Standard tag lines he needs to move away from.

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Whilst Leonard is a fine prospect I'd put Ennis in and see what he can or cannot do. Otherwise why have him here.? 

Maybe we signed him up to a 4 year deal because we knew it'd take at least a year for him to be fit enough to contribute. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Whilst there is an element of truth to it obviously it is wearing very thin now there's more than enough experience and ability to win matches as they've shown.

When we win it's because we are an exciting young side with togetherness and desire but every time we lose we are a young team lacking experience and expected to make mistakes.

Standard tag lines he needs to move away from.

The purpose of the standard tag lines is to take the pressure off the players. It's good man-management. 

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Maybe we signed him up to a 4 year deal because we knew it'd take at least a year for him to be fit enough to contribute. 

I find it incredible and intolerable that he's been here 5 months and still isn't fit enough.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not the result we all wanted today but we created more enough chances to score at least 2 goals today. Should have been 1 nil after 50 seconds. Then 2 other opportunities first half to score. Cullen for Swansea scored a good goal. Looks decent, supposedly someone we looked at signing in the summer. 

I was surprised that Wharton and either Ennis or Leonard didn't come on at half time. Also surprised that Markanday came on. I would have triple change at half time with Wharton, Moran and Ennis on for Sigurdsson, JRC and Brittain. 

Leonard's movement is very good and he should have scored both chances he had. Szmodics also had a great chance. 

We were sloppy today. We got 6 points from 3 games this week which is good return on those 3 games. 

Time to look forward to Chelsea and Norwich this coming week now. 

Agree on Leonard. His movement and strength for a 19 year old #9 is well beyond his years. The fist chance should have been finished, the header he won over a center defender, was a difficult goal to score. He won it, got good pace on it but hit it right a the keeper…you see that from stokers ever weekend that are worth millions of pounds. Only the elite routinely put those away. 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

No complaints today as I thought we were beaten by a better side.  Swansea moved the ball at pace and with purpose.  Their passing was crisp and they got the ball into dangerous areas which caused our defence problems.

It might have been different if we had taken the chance in the opening minutes - a perfect ball from Dolan which JRC and Brittain completely missed.

After the opening 15 minutes, Swansea took control with Grimes running the game in midfield.  Their front men were quick and always looked dangerous.

Too many of our players were slow and wanted too many touches which Swansea didn't allow.   As on Tuesday, Sigurdsson offered very little and it was no surprise that JDT said Sigurdsson and Brittain were removed for tactical reasons.  However, the changes didn't really work either.  

I think today highlighted just how threadbare our squad is becoming and with no likely reinforcements in January, unless there is a massive turnaround in the financial situation, mid-table looks the best we can hope for. 

Well I have complaints about today. We where beaten by a shit side, who we made look average. That in my opinion has got to rank as the worst performance of basic football skills, that I have seen from a Rovers side. That includes 7-1 away at Shrewsbury and the 1-7 at home to Fuham. There is no justification in todays performance. I would be disappointed in pub players playing like that, never mind professionals. If all that is said, is that the club is disappointed with the result, then they can give my seat away, I won't be going again.

10 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

The purpose of the standard tag lines is to take the pressure off the players. It's good man-management. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Agree on Leonard. His movement and strength for a 19 year old #9 is well beyond his years. The fist chance should have been finished, the header he won over a center defender, was a difficult goal to score. He won it, got good pace on it but hit it right a the keeper…you see that from stokers ever weekend that are worth millions of pounds. Only the elite routinely put those away. 

It is never a good header if it doesn't go in.

26 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Nonsense it's just a blanket statement that deflects away from questioning the managers tactics/selection/subs etc

• Like 2