BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (h) - 10/11/23

The biggest frustration for me watching last night is that we have no one to turn to on the bench. They bring on Ched Evans a big physical striker, I look at our bench and you can’t see anyone that’s going to impact the game. I love that we have a young team but the focus must be in January/Summer to bring in some experienced heads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We are a short, underweight, non physical team who don't like a scrap who are told to continue with dead ball routines that cause us more problems than the opposition.

We persist in trying stuff we can't do and in which we have an established record of failure, a sure sign of madness is its repetition.

I don't see that as a criticism of the manager or players, just the truth.

If you are referring to the corner routine I agree. I'm not really sure on the 'trying stuff' you refer to where you say we have a record of failure. We have just won four of our last five league games before last night and competed physically at Millwall to come from behind and win. We are playing some of the best football we have played since the Souness and Hughes days and Tomasson is the guy who is behind it and doing it with one arm tied behind his back. Of course he gets things wrong but some of the things said last night were ridiculous and a couple I saw were hinting that he should be sacked.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Gamst21 said:

The biggest frustration for me watching last night is that we have no one to turn to on the bench. They bring on Ched Evans a big physical striker, I look at our bench and you can’t see anyone that’s going to impact the game. I love that we have a young team but the focus must be in January/Summer to bring in some experienced heads.

The owners won’t allow it. Broughton/JDT are only allowed to bring in players with re sale value. 

I would imagine the reason we don’t bring in more physicality and big buggers is because they’re naturally less adept at playing the ‘creating value’ way too (in addition to the age factor above).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The owners won’t allow it. Broughton/JDT are only allowed to bring in players with re sale value. 

I would imagine the reason we don’t bring in more physicality and big buggers is because they’re naturally less adept at playing the ‘creating value’ way too (in addition to the age factor above).

Well if that is the case , I am finished after this season .

The club may as well fold !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, arbitro said:

It's more of a question of Tomasson is prepared to be patient in all honesty. I can see what he is trying to do and I am fully on board and supportive. The stumbling block lies several thousand miles away.

But that stumbling block will always be there as long as they own us. Imagine for one minute we got promoted. What would happen next ? The full spotlight of the Premier League circus will be on them and their dodgy dealings. They’ll be expected to chuck relatively serious money at the team, otherwise we’ll be embarrassed in front of the English football world. 
As I see it there’s no incentive for them to back a promotion team and every incentive to keep us bumping along, not making waves, in the lower reaches of this league.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Gamst21 said:

Yeap, I watched our lot warm up at half time and thought, yeah we arnt winning this game…Subs win matches and that’s what it boiled down to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yankfan said:

Not to mention the ball played to the man who crossed it was offside 

I think you will find that on this occasion that appears to be factually incorrect.

if you go to the following page scroll down you will see a video that is perfect from the Rovers end that will evidence clearly that no to be the case.

Matchday Thread - The Plastics v Preston North End - 10/11/23 - KO:8PM - Championship | Page 43 | PNE Online (pne-online.net)

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But that stumbling block will always be there as long as they own us. Imagine for one minute we got promoted. What would happen next ? The full spotlight of the Premier League circus will be on them and their dodgy dealings. They’ll be expected to chuck relatively serious money at the team, otherwise we’ll be embarrassed in front of the English football world. 
As I see it there’s no incentive for them to back a promotion team and every incentive to keep us bumping along, not making waves, in the lower reaches of this league.

I think the majority on here understand why we have regressed under these owners and are extremely unlikely to progress. Which is one of the reasons I appreciate what Tomasson is trying to do here with meagre resources. Missing the playoffs in goal difference was a terrific achievement last season. 

Supporters angst should be directed at those horrible Indians, not a manager who is, if anything over achieving.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

For last night's match we were missing Pears, JRC, Hyam, Carter, Pickering, Hedges and Gallagher. That's seven players who would all potentially have started last night. If you take seven key players out of any squad it will have a massive effect.

I agree with that, in fact I said it myself earlier. Why is it that we have so many starters out injured ? I read somewhere on this site that JDT said “ We train as we play “. If that’s true, at this point in the season it’s not too smart a policy.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think the majority on here understand why we have regressed under these owners and are extremely unlikely to progress. Which is one of the reasons I appreciate what Tomasson is trying to do here with meagre resources. Missing the playoffs in goal difference was a terrific achievement last season. 

Supporters angst should be directed at those horrible Indians, not a manager who is, if anything over achieving.

No doubt he's doing an amazing job given the circumstances. If he was backed properly we'd get promoted. 

Still some things that need sorting though. 

Those short corners, absolutely pointless. May as well give them a goal kick.

Playing from the back. There's a time to do it and a time to get rid.

He also needs a plan B when things aren't working. 

We're about 3 or 4 quality players from being a force to contend with. We all know why that won't ever happen.

• Like 1

If i was a Rovers fan i wouldn't be to despondent after last nights performance and i would not be to harsh on the manager.  If you are to be rational and look at the play with a depleted squad then we would all admit that last night Rovers could have easily won the game.   If you can get your players back in playing a style that is great on the eye then you have as much chance of getting into the play offs as anybody. (note i didn't say us as i do not feel we have the capability as yet)  I accept that on another night Preston could have taken their chances and maybe won by more i have  seen the xg figures but the feeling i got from the game was that both teams created chances in both halves but we took one more chance you did,.

The game appeared to go one way than another with each team controlling periods of play after Preston scored it looked like in boxing terms that they were looking for the knock out and then after half time Blackburn came out of the blocks and scored and nearly blew the game away with some fast exchanges of passing and movement.  Towards the end we looked good and in the end took one more chance than you did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We are a short, underweight, non physical team who don't like a scrap who are told to continue with dead ball routines that cause us more problems than the opposition.

We persist in trying stuff we can't do and in which we have an established record of failure, a sure sign of madness is its repetition.

I don't see that as a criticism of the manager or players, just the truth.

The corner routine is embarrassing now we even have other teams fans laughing at it when they see it on the box.  It takes 3 players down in to the corner to do what ?

Draw the opposition over ?   Yet we have no one on the edge of the area and no one of any presence in the box even on the very rare occasion in might get crossed in.  It's one of those routines that will work maybe once or twice a season at very best.  It'll also as many times lead is to be countered and losing a goal.

A standard corner routine will have a higher success rate even for lightweights like us.

• Like 4

I don't mind admitting in, I'm in full SULK mode this morning, if she asks me if we can go to the bloody garden centre one more time, its winter FFS!

I'll just add, I love watching this side, I don't like seeing us get beat, but they're an exciting side to watch and this manager is special, can we keep him........

Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, Gamst21 said:

When have we ever had anybody like that to bring on from the bench ?

I mean a proper no frills but potential game changer, points winner ?   We have to go back a long long way these nicey nicey managers we have are immune to the fact you need the odd gruff rough and ready forward in your squad in this league.

I'm more convinced than ever now that we really are the modern day version of Gradis Crewe.  The only concern is there were some nice passages of play and possession, lads getting more experience and value but hey the points slipped away but we are pleased with everything else.

Load of old bollocks then you look at the rabble from west of the M65 and their only concern was getting 3 points, no fannying around no sermons on great football just get out there and win whatever it takes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So what’s the reasons for consistently conceding late goals? It’s not just under Tomasson, it happened regularly under Mowbray too. 

The culture at the top of the club isn’t right. There is no real pressure on results from the owners. We don’t have enough players with a winning mentality. We retreat into the last third of the pitch too easily. We lack the courage to keep playing a “ normal ” game and persist in dropping back. I got told as a young player - “ You can defend your own half for a long while, you can defend the penalty area for a short while, but when you try to defend the six yard box for any length of time you’re in trouble “ .

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The corner routine is embarrassing now we even have other teams fans laughing at it when they see it on the box.  It takes 3 players down in to the corner to do what ?

Draw the opposition over ?   Yet we have no one on the edge of the area and no one of any presence in the box even on the very rare occasion in might get crossed in.  It's one of those routines that will work maybe once or twice a season at very best.  It'll also as many times lead is to be countered and losing a goal.

A standard corner routine will have a higher success rate even for lightweights like us.

I think the corner drills are all about maintaining possesion.

As you say, the trouble is - and we saw this a couple of times last night - is that we end up with 3 players around the ball near the corner flag, we go and lose it, the opposition breaks quickly, and we're caught on the hop with said players out of position.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Well if that is the case , I am finished after this season .

The club may as well fold !

Total frustration isn't it...just rinse and repeat Season after Season.No expectation,no pressure on anyone for promotion.

Having the life sucked out of our support.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 3