BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (h) - 10/11/23

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

The top 6 is fast getting away from us, got to admit I’m more looking down at the bottom than top however.

we are 11 points from 3rd bottom at the moment but that can quickly be eaten up.

its not going to be a vintage season anyway

The bottom 3 (especially the bottom 2) are so bad that it would take a lengthy period of fixtures for that gap to be made up even if we lost every game in that time. So we shouldnt be in serious danger.

But with a squad so thin, especially if we get more injuries (quite possible when we will have to keep flogging roughly the same 11 players) a poor run will never be far away. Talk of a genuine top 6 push is head in the clouds stuff, the owners have ensured that sadly. But we should be fine at the other end. I have said before, id have us down for probably a bottom half finish, maybe 13th to 18th.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Because we clearly needed some physicality and a plan B.

interesting. Cos I thought we need more movement and a forward to run in behind which is Leonard. Given how we played our attacking play is about movement and playing short passing football. From what I have seen of Ennis is someone who can hold the ball up and be more of focus point

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The bottom 3 (especially the bottom 2) are so bad that it would take a lengthy period of fixtures for that gap to be made up even if we lost every game in that time. So we shouldnt be in serious danger.

But with a squad so thin, especially if we get more injuries (quite possible when we will have to keep flogging roughly the same 11 players) a poor run will never be far away. Talk of a genuine top 6 push is head in the clouds stuff, the owners have ensured that sadly. But we should be fine at the other end. I have said before, id have us down for probably a bottom half finish, maybe 13th to 18th.

One of the poorest Sheffield Wednesday teams ever and yet Buckley still can’t get a shirt !

• Like 2

If Tomasson doesnt ever plan to play with a focal point and Ennis is seen as that, again, why was he signed? Did Tomasson want him?

Just now, Penwortham Blue said:

One of the poorest Sheffield Wednesday teams ever and yet Buckley still can’t get a shirt !

Indeed. People have mentioned about wishing he hadnt been loaned out. He definitely would be more use than basically any of the subs last night, but he isnt particularly good. The issue was the assumption that his wage could go elsewhere but typically Venkys allowed the out but not the in.

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

To give us a bit of size at both ends of the pitch, plus some hold up play in their half. If he can’t do that why did we sign him ?

bit of size? Ennis is 5ft 11 hardly a big man is he? 

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Potts might not be a hard man, I didn't saw he was.  Whether he's a hard man or not, he certainly bullied us in a way that is unacceptable and worrying.  The likes of Jim Brannigan, Glen Keeley, Gary Flitcroft, Andy Todd etc would have had him in the Riverside in no time.

Football has made move on from these type of hard man now. 

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As for Benson, and Lowe for that matter, to me, it is one of sporting life's great mysteries how these two remain in post at Ewood.  I would suggest it's outside JDT's remit - didn't we 'lose' two potential new managers before JDT was appointed because Waggott / Pasha insisted Benson and Lowe remained in place?  I've heard gossip / rumour about their respective abilities, or otherwise, as coaches and it's not complimentary; whether the gossip / rumour is correct or not, I know what I see with my own eyes and I've seen Lowe in 'action' at Brockhall, Academy matches and with the first team and I think it's fair to say, that IMO, he's one of the least charismatic and dynamic and uninspiring coaches I've come across.  It might be that I have got it all wrong and these two guys are coaching geniuses, somehow, I don't think I'm wrong!

You tell me if we lost two potential new head coaches before GB appointed JDT cos of Lowe and Benson staying on the coaching team? Its your point at the end of the day. I don't know the full story. 

I am confident that if JDT wants to change Benson and Lowe, the club would back him in this

Edited by chaddyrovers

9 hours ago, white boy said:

I think you will find that on this occasion that appears to be factually incorrect.

if you go to the following page scroll down you will see a video that is perfect from the Rovers end that will evidence clearly that no to be the case.

Matchday Thread - The Plastics v Preston North End - 10/11/23 - KO:8PM - Championship | Page 43 | PNE Online (pne-online.net)

Except it shows is is indeed offside at the moment the ball was played  

IMG_3383.png

24 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Except it shows is is indeed offside at the moment the ball was played  

IMG_3383.png

That still is a moment before the ball was actually played. When it is actually passed Scott Wharton is playing him on. You can tell it’s not when the ball is played because when he passes the ball Adam Wharton is wholly in the area. On that still he is just outside. Sky froze it to check both during and after the game.

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

The 10m from his sale will be greatly welcomed. He's off to the premier league so we can't deny him that. Softens the blow.

• Like 7

Maybe I’m biased because he sent me a get well message when I was in hospital after recovering from a heart attack but I really think he could be an absolute star with the right management. Of course he needs to be prepared to do what the manager wants.

Edited by Uddersfelt Blue
Spelling
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Maybe I’m biased because he sent me a get well message when I was in hospital after recovering from a heart attack but I really think he could be an absolute star with the right management. Of course he needs to be prepared to do what the manager wants.

I think he has really underachieved and simply hasn’t fulfilled his potential, as yet. He has gone up in my estimation as a person, taking the time to message a Rovers fan when in hospital. 

• Like 4

The squad has depth it just doesn't have the level of quality because of the budget and the need to blood youngsters to avoid spending and bring in future player sales.

As depressing as it is, the bench is only so weak because of the amount of injuries we have. This international break, whilst being on the back of a loss isn't ideal will at least allow us to get some bodies back in contention.

I thought we did OK last night. Missed some of those injured players especially JRC and even Gallagher as a focal point even if it meant we swung a few corners in. We really miss someone who can go past 1 or 2.

The nature of the defeat being last minute and to a neighbour makes it all the more harder to swallow but had it been a win last night there would be a lot more talk about the play offs and what we could achieve.

I'm not saying this squad is good enough to make the play offs but a few wins on the bounce suddenly makes things very different in this league.

Edited by Southside Rover
  • Like 2

It seems to me that we largely only score 2 types of goal--the central though ball which Szomdics (usually) sidefoots wide of the advancing keeper and the pull-back from the by-line tapped in from a few yards out.

I'm used to seeing more variety than this! Where's the quick break down the wing and the pinpoint header from the central striker? Where's the screamer from 25 yards that bulges the net? How many other teams score regularly from a corner--either a direct header or a scramble from the confusion?

We hardly ever shoot  now. Even with a clear shot available on the edge of the penalty area we have to try one more pass.

Clearly, we haven't the personnel and we have to work so much harder to create gilt-edge chances.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

I'm not saying this squad is good enough to make the play offs but a few wins on the bounce suddenly makes things very different in this league.

We are capable of winning a few low key games on the bounce, but as sure as eggs is eggs, once we come to a game with a bit more pressure on it, (like last night), or any game at the business end of the season, (if we are in control of our own destiny), we all know what happens.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, martonrover said:

We are capable of winning a few low key games on the bounce, but as sure as eggs is eggs, once we come to a game with a bit more pressure on it, (like last night), or any game at the business end of the season, (if we are in control of our own destiny), we all know what happens.

A very good summary, spot on.

• Like 1

Great performance from a team with lots of injuries.We were unlucky not to get something out of this game, after hitting the bar twice. Overall I thought Rovers were the better team on the night. Preston were very physical and should have had a few more of their players in the book. Well done Rovers, it gives us hope when the injured return after last night's performance.

• Like 2

My own thoughts from last night :-

1. Good to see Adam Wharton back in some sort of form - though still got caught out on the odd occasion. Tronstad continues to grow and improve

2. Strangely - thought Szmodics didn't play that well - obviously goal apart.

3. Considering make shift nature of defence - thought they did ok.

4. Best team lost on the night - but I feared that most of the night as we are always vulnerable to a sucker punch from ale-house teams.

5. Referee should really have got to grips with the repeated fouling from PNE. A yellow card for the foul of Moran early in the match (a clear push in the back which put the player in danger) would have set the tone.

6. We are a decent striker away from being half good - with the inability to put in crosses or even corners given the general size of our team is a constant issue. With a decent striker we would have been 1 or 2 up in the first 30 mins - but our inability to take chances always leaves us vulnerable. Though I am not sure Gallagher is the man to score the goals we need - we could have benefited from him playing last night.

7. As depressed as I was at the end - I actually enjoy watching our brand of football - just need to cut out the late goals (or preferably score when on top (22 shots and only 1 goal is nowhere near good enough).

Be very interesting to see whether the owners want to see some return on their investment - can't help feeling that if still in touching distance by xmas - we could creep into the top six with the right investment in January.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Be very interesting to see whether the owners want to see some return on their investment - can't help feeling that if still in touching distance by xmas - we could creep into the top six with the right investment in January.

I can't help thinking that future transfers in depends on sales out. In that case we are probably waiting for the right time to accept bids for Wharton. That probably means nothing in January of any consequence and therefore a nothing end to the season.

Perhaps a sale in the summer, but will we get some, all or none of it for transfers in?

That's the essential problem we face. There is no plan, no time lines. We just drift according to the whims of erratic owners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 47er said:

I can't help thinking that future transfers in depends on sales out. In that case we are probably waiting for the right time to accept bids for Wharton. That probably means nothing in January of any consequence and therefore a nothing end to the season.

Perhaps a sale in the summer, but will we get some, all or none of it for transfers in?

That's the essential problem we face. There is no plan, no time lines. We just drift according to the whims of erratic owners.

Don’t think anyone would pay decent money with Wharton in the form he is in this season 

He’s doing well, he’s a teenager playing week in week out in a tough league, it’s exactly what PL clubs want to see. Of course there will be interest, promising England youth internationals are hoovered up by PL clubs. Though I suppose it depends what you mean by ‘decent’, as say, £9/10 million is pocket change to them, but will do bugger all for our team when it disappears into the famed running costs.

Edited by Mattyblue