SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

Just watched the interviews with hedges and pears

https://www.rovers.co.uk/videos/

Both of them mentioned that JE said

" we've got the tools in the squad "

Also mentioned that "we need to unite and bring togetherness in the squad"

I got a sense that JDT grumbling about the lack of quality and lack of signings was probably having a negative impact on the players, they aren't good enough and they probably didn't like to hear that but it's the truth.

So let's see what JE can do with "the tools in the squad" based on last night they don't have the right tools but "we stick together"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Just watched the interviews with hedges and pears

https://www.rovers.co.uk/videos/

Both of them mentioned that JE said

" we've got the tools in the squad "

Also mentioned that "we need to unite and bring togetherness in the squad"

I got a sense that JDT grumbling about the lack of quality and lack of signings was probably having a negative impact on the players, they aren't good enough and they probably didn't like to hear that but it's the truth.

So let's see what JE can do with "the tools in the squad" based on last night they don't have the right tools but "we stick together"

Are they sure he didn’t say “we’ve got a few tools in the squad”? 🤔😉

Edited by Roverthechimp
Wording
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Clearly, we can't go in with that same gameplay for the rest of the season. 

I'm clinging to the hope that he's 3 days in and given a bit more time, he'll have us set up better.

Birmingham fans have spoken positively about him, they can't have played like that every week, surely?

Worryingly I saw a few comments on Twitter last night from Birmingham fans about being glad they no longer played ’Eustace ball’ and how, despite being grateful of the job he did for them, they were now enjoying playing under a less negative manager in Mowbray. 
None of which inspires much confidence if I’m honest - I fear tactics like last night might become the norm under this guy. And if that’s the case you could give ST’s away for free next season and you still won’t fill the ground!!

4 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

Worryingly I saw a few comments on Twitter last night from Birmingham fans about being glad they no longer played ’Eustace ball’ and how, despite being grateful of the job he did for them, they were now enjoying playing under a less negative manager in Mowbray. 
None of which inspires much confidence if I’m honest - I fear tactics like last night might become the norm under this guy. And if that’s the case you could give ST’s away for free next season and you still won’t fill the ground!!

Gosh.

Mowbray football was absolutely dire.

I don't miss the hoof ball up to Adam Armstrong.

The one thing I would say is we looked better under Damien Johnson.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeilInBristol said:

He said nothing of use, very generic comments but he did slip in that 50points is the target that is what he was brought in for.

Get us to 50 points. 

Well you've got 15 games to get 14 points John. 

Looking at our fixtures that seems a huge challenge and big club was a strong chance of at least 1 point.

His words not mine!

Ha, reminds me that 51 points didn't do the job back in 16-17.

Hell, we probably 'deserved' relegation that year all things considered, but yeesh was that harsh... Apparently Peterborough has the record for highest point total while still getting relegated at 54.

Had a quick look and apparently ~43 is the average needed for staying up. We're on pace for 53 (current form of course a concern), QPR in 22nd is on pace for 43. Looks like Cifuentes has QPR back on track, but worth keeping in mind there's still a few shit teams between us and them.

Should be doable... although I say that having missed last night's game...

What's so ridiculous about our current predicament is suppose Eustace fails spectacularly and we get relegated (unlike Mowbray where we got relegated despite decent form under him - I don't mean to spark that debate!) I bet it'd still be up in the air whether we sack him as we wouldn't have the cash on hand to pay him off.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 1

If we’d have won lat night we’d have been closer to the play offs than the bottom 3. 

Shows just how well we were going as we entered December (and how tight this league always is, parachutes aside).

Been a calamitous loss of form since.

• Like 1

We ought to have the tools to play a more direct style of football but that’s expecting Gally to play a more traditional centre forwards role and he rarely does. He’s too easily dominated by physical centre halves. He’s more of an old style inside right than a centre forward. If that bit of the plan isn’t working the rest of the plan struggles.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

They were diagonal balls to AA if we are to be correct and there was plenty games that was plan A with no plan B.

Other days it was similar to Gallagher on the right and the performance at Brum under Mowbray i referred to earlier was every bit as bad as last night.

A total no show with twice the squad.

Based on the evidence of the first two games under Eustace it seems we have gone from one extreme to the other. Under Tomasson we created many chances (and in fairness missed most of them) with a higher tempo and incisive movement in the final third. Under Eustace it doesn't appear we will create nearly as many chances as he looks to adopt a far more pragmatic style based on defending quite deep and in numbers. I really think this will impede Szmodics who flourished under Tomasson and his goal against Stoke aside has looked ineffective.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DaveyB said:

That’s football fans for you.  Lose on Saturday and they will be calling Mowbray.

Like JDT, Eustace has to work with “the tools” he has been given by Broughton (currently invisible).

He can hardly come out and say, “God, this squad is shit”, can he?

He has to try and instil some confidence.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Based on the evidence of the first two games under Eustace it seems we have gone from one extreme to the other. Under Tomasson we created many chances (and in fairness missed most of them) with a higher tempo and incisive movement in the final third. Under Eustace it doesn't appear we will create nearly as many chances as he looks to adopt a far more pragmatic style based on defending quite deep and in numbers. I really think this will impede Szmodics who flourished under Tomasson and his goal against Stoke aside has looked ineffective.

I suppose Sammi isn’t a natural fit in a rigid 4-4-2 , unless he plays in the Dolan role with Gallagher.

Eustace has had 1 hour training session so far. So very limited amount of time to stamp his authority on the squad tactical. Yes I think we will play a abit more direct under Eustace creating less amount of chances but being more solid at the back. 

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I suppose Sammi isn’t a natural fit in a rigid 4-4-2 , unless he plays in the Dolan role with Gallagher.

when are playing 4-4-2? 

Why can't Szmodics just off Gallagher with Dolan and Hedges wide? 

Would you stick with a back 3 for PNE with Dolan and Szmodics just off Gallagher or go for 4-3-3/4-2-3-1? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

when are playing 4-4-2? 

Why can't Szmodics just off Gallagher with Dolan and Hedges wide

I didn’t watch last nights game but the was the inference I got. 

Regarding your second point,  Sammi probably could. Not everybody like Dolan out wide but those two are probably our best bet at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Regarding your second point,  Sammi probably could. Not everybody like Dolan out wide but those two are probably our best bet at the moment.

well we played the same formation as Saturday with back 3 with 2 wing backs, 2 centre mids and Dolan/Szmodics just off Gallagher in 3-4-2-1 formation

I think this is a case of be careful what you wish for, as far as people moaning about playing style

The football under John Eustace will not be as expansive as it was under JDT or even Mowbray. It will be very much about doing the right things at the back and trying to generate them counters, set pieces or moments of brilliance to get a goal at the other end

Some days it will come off - Stoke - and others you will feel a sense of frustration

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sammi was forced to come deeper and deeper. Ironically i think Gallagher coming back and Moran being dropped has strangled the supply line (of course losing A Wharton hasn’t helped either)

But a response on Saturday is needed

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think this is a case of be careful what you wish for, as far as people moaning about playing style

The football under John Eustace will not be as expansive as it was under JDT or even Mowbray. It will be very much about doing the right things at the back and trying to generate them counters, set pieces or moments of brilliance to get a goal at the other end

Some days it will come off - Stoke - and others you will feel a sense of frustration

What worries me is we appear to be trying to play a Big Sam type game without us having the sort of players required to pull it off.

• Like 1