BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (a) - 10/04/2024

49 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm lukewarm on Hedges. I don't think he really excels at anything in any position to be honest, but he's tidy enough on the ball and reasonably quick and broad shouldered. Lots of our other options are lacking either in size or ability, so he balances the team and doesn't go missing like others have the tendency to do.

I'm happy enough to have him in the squad, but if he's comfortably in our best XI then it doesn't say much about the rest of them to be honest. 

His best position is on the right. He has a good shot too, so when he can turn inside he can be dangerous

At the moment, comfortably in our best 11 for me. Last season, maybe not, but we have such a void in attacking talent at the moment and Hedges stands out for me as one of the best options

He's a better footballer than Sigurdson in my eyes

• Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Hedges isn't lacking in talent at all. Has a decent first touch, good weight of pass and can beat a man. His fitness is terrible though

Do agree on the game of opinions. When do you reckon will be the next time you have a good opinion of one of our players? 🤣

When we sign some good ones!

I have a good opinion of Szmodics. I also seem to have a much higher opinion of Scott Wharton than many.

I think you're forgetting we're on a run of one win in twenty odd games under two different coaches the first of whom many on here revere as the best thing since sliced bread so they can't be that good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

When we sign some good ones!

I have a good opinion of Szmodics. I also seem to have a much higher opinion of Scott Wharton than many.

I think you're forgetting we're on a run of one win in twenty odd games under two different coaches the first of whom many on here revere as the best thing since sliced bread so they can't be that good.

Totally agree 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

His best position is on the right. He has a good shot too, so when he can turn inside he can be dangerous

At the moment, comfortably in our best 11 for me. Last season, maybe not, but we have such a void in attacking talent at the moment and Hedges stands out for me as one of the best options

He's a better footballer than Sigurdsson in my eyes

Agree that he currently gets in our best team. Sigurdsson has been very disappointing so far, although his best moments suggest he might have more ability than Hedges (Watford goal aside!). Quite different players, admittedly. 

He's solid at this level. If he starts 30+ games on the right of a front three he'd probably have a half decent goal return and he'd set up a few. But I don't think there's any particular aspect of his game that I'd say is outstanding, even at Championship level. In fact you'd probably say the best thing about him is that he's well rounded and adaptable enough to do a job in lots of positions. But I think that sums him up, he does a job. 

• Like 1

First time at Ashton Gate tonight. I have circumvented my fears of the dirge I might be served up in exchange for my match ticket and hotel costs and day off work by partaking in this city's excellent public house provision. Half the time I think if I had to do all this teetotal I think I'd get another hobby.

• Like 7

On the game, feeling dangerously optimistic about the result after four improved performances which isn't a good sign given my punting record.

Think we'll win or draw but won't be betting on it everyone will be glad to hear.

41 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Blimey, shows what a game of opinions football  is! I think Hedges is absolutely dire and would struggle to get a game at League 1 or League 2 level if he wasn't here. Like Gallaher he's an absolute sick note as well so you'd be extremely hard pressed to find two players who offer less in terms of talent  and reliability than either of those 2 imo. 

Haha agreed mate but the forums is all about opinions which is great 

5 minutes ago, GHR said:

First time at Ashton Gate tonight. I have circumvented my fears of the dirge I might be served up in exchange for my match ticket and hotel costs and day off work by partaking in this city's excellent public house provision. Half the time I think if I had to do all this teetotal I think I'd get another hobby.

Haha welcome to Bristol!!!

• Like 1

A huge, huge game. Win and we are effectively safe and can put this horrible season behind us. Lose and it's going to be a very edgy end to the season with some tough fixtures. A draw and we move a little closer to safety but still have a nervous end to the season.

Sounds like Bristol City have a defensive injury crisis tonight so will have to shuffle things around. A big chance for us. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Agree that he currently gets in our best team. Sigurdsson has been very disappointing so far, although his best moments suggest he might have more ability than Hedges (Watford goal aside!). Quite different players, admittedly. 

He's solid at this level. If he starts 30+ games on the right of a front three he'd probably have a half decent goal return and he'd set up a few. But I don't think there's any particular aspect of his game that I'd say is outstanding, even at Championship level. In fact you'd probably say the best thing about him is that he's well rounded and adaptable enough to do a job in lots of positions. But I think that sums him up, he does a job. 

I think Hedges is one of our few players who I can see stepping up a level like Szmodics and Diaz have in the past. But his injury record is horrendous and he can't settle a run of a games. 

In terms of all round ability he's got a lot going for him - great workrate, strong, a goal threat, reasonable pace. He rarely does less than a 7/10 performance and the odd one better than that. How we get him to play more than half a dozen games in a row is the problem. Similar to JRC in that regard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

Team for tonight

Rest key players Gally, JPC (Joe Poppadom-Costello), Ronnie Pickering & Wharton with the quick turn around before the Leeds game

Rest assured Eusless will revert to boring and stick with the same as Saturday with Markanday in for Hedges OR even go a defensive 3–4-3 and bring Carter in as a 3rd CB

IMG_6513.jpeg

Of the two, tonights game is the one we could get a result from so the other way round for me

• Like 4

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think Hedges is one of our few players who I can see stepping up a level like Szmodics and Diaz have in the past. But his injury record is horrendous and he can't settle a run of a games. 

In terms of all round ability he's got a lot going for him - great workrate, strong, a goal threat, reasonable pace. He rarely does less than a 7/10 performance and the odd one better than that. How we get him to play more than half a dozen games in a row is the problem. Similar to JRC in that regard.

Pointing to his injury record is fair enough. Perhaps If he could strong together 15-20 appearances then he could kick on. 

I think goal threat is stretching it a bit though. At Aberdeen yes, but how many has he got for us since being here? A few, but not enough to say that's really a feature of his game. 7/10 most weeks, with reasonable pace and decent strength sums him up really well I think, but I'm not as optimistic as you that he has another level in him. 

Compare that to JRC, who you could really see as being a key player in a promotion chasing team if he could stay on the pitch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHR said:

Agreed with this. Bristol has some excellent pubs/bars. Couple of suggestions for folk en route(ish) to the stadium: Orchard Inn or Steam Crane. Both usually offering a good selection of local brewery beers and ales.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Really nervous about this one, it’s certainly a must win 

really feel we can`t lose tonight,we`re going to get **** all at leeds imo,especially with tired legs due to our tiny squad,makes the sheff wed game absolutely massive,wonder if our progresive and forward planning board are doing anything to encourage a big crowd,i suppose they`ll look into while giving wednesday the whole darwen end

Lets Rovers can pick up the win tonight and pretty much secure our championship future for another season. 

Expect 3 or 4 changes tonight like Chrisene, Buckley and Markanday in for Pickering, JRC and Hedges. 

On Hedges debate, I think he is quality player at this level and this opinion he wouldn't get a game at Stanley is totally BS tbh. 

Just now, Polky said:

After last nights results, we need to get three points. I don’t care if the performance is crap, just win!

Yep, three points and I'd be surprised if we went down even if we didn't win another point.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Goal threat? according to Wiki as far as I can see at Championship level or above  he's scored 11 goals for Aberdeen and and six Championship goals in England inc 4 in  43 for us.

17 career goals at a decent level and he's 28!

38 minutes ago, G Somerset Rover said:

Agreed with this. Bristol has some excellent pubs/bars. Couple of suggestions for folk en route(ish) to the stadium: Orchard Inn or Steam Crane. Both usually offering a good selection of local brewery beers and ales.

Was recommended the Orchard but have dropped in at the Bag of Nails now so it's too far off the path sadly.

• Like 1