BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

I don't know why people use the Dunn example of Souness' mismanagement.... because there are far better examples to choose if one wishes too laugh.gif

Dunn handed in a transfer request under Kidd and was on his way out. Under Souness, Dunn developed into a superb midfielder and got his first England cap. Dunn then (for whatever reasons) has gone completely off the boil.

If Souness was completely wrong about this, the Dunn would be a superstar at Birmingham and would have made the central-midfield position his own,and would be a starter for Portugal 2004. But he isn't, he hasn't, and he won't.

Looking at 'statistics'.. I know this is bad and doesn't always reflect on a player's true contribution, but :

Emerton has played 30 games. With two goals, twelve 'assists', 15 shots-on target and 73 'successful crosses', which is the most in the league. On a statistical base, he is the 9th best midfielder in the premiership.

Dunny has played 20 games. Two goals (both of them match-winning), one assist. Seven successfull crosses.

Dunny was sold for 5.5 million pounds. Emerton was bought for 2.5 million pounds.. or there-abouts.

Emerton has less talent, flair,creativity and potential than Dunn, on that I will agree.

But so far, Souness is still ahead on that managerial decision IMO.

If your argument is 'but a decent manager should have been able to turn Dunn around and harness his true potential'... well that is a fair point. But so far Steve Bruce seems to have given up as well. So that's Kidd/ Souness / Bruce that Dunn has gone through so far.

Take Souness to the cleaners for his formation choices/player selection/treatment of other players as much you like, but the old 'look what he did to Dunny' chestnut doesn't stand up in the light of day anymore.

Edited by pg

For me there is a compelling reason to sack Souness this week - he hasn't a clue about who to pick and how to tell them to play.

We will go down if he is in charge for the next seven games.

We have to have a better chance if those next seven games are under the control of someone better at formations and tactics than Souness, which is just about anyone.

Our players are very experienced, I'm sure they can stick to a plan if it's a good one.

Regardless of the topic I must say that I have found that the attitude of rover6, despite him at times being personally insulted, to be extremely refrershing. Despite much abuse he has not resorted to answering back.

Not that I agree with anything he says, just that I respect how he puts across his opinion without resorting to namecalling which many on here (including probably myself) have at times been guilty of...

All those calling for Gresko and Gray- I'm sorry-If you want that, you'll need a new manager first. Souness doesn't have the wit, tactical acumen or foresight to actually play people who would balance the side- he hasn't all season so why would he try now?

Let's get behind the team, but get rid of the dead wood manager first.

And by the way- I'd rather have Mickey Adams (fed up with Leicester) Mark Hughes (might have some fondness for the club) or Mike Newell (Ditto) than That *******. This is one time I REALLY wish I could swear on here. He deserves it.

mmmmmm lets see jan ,you seem to be like the emperor who fiddled when rome burned ,you and jimbo seem to be having orgasms as we falter....pathetic.

If we are as led to believe we are skint ,lets see.

sacking soey 2?3? million.(would YOU or JIm or anyone walk away from a job where you could a huge wad if you weres acked or would you swallow pride and say f. it I will jack and it will save the club millions .Hand on heart I know what Id do and it wouldnt involve writing a resignation.

say we sacked him jan ,bringing in mickey adams or a 1st div manager as as been discussed on here would cost a considerable amount of money.

Hughsey I know hes won a few as wales manager but what else as he done manager wise ,transfers ?etc.

Newell woukld be the one whose head was called for after promotion was nearly blown.

All this talk and of sacking and stealing manager from somewher else (who remebers uproar when soey was linked with spuds)costs money ,which would be spent at the expense of strenghting the team whichever div were in next season.

tris well said mate, couldnt have put it better myself. My missus is doing her trolley in as all my overtime that was earned over xmas/jan and feb was going to the holiday pot as usual its just that Rovers have a need and I need to be there ! Not a happy bunny with me spending all the money ! (jhc that rhymes).

As for Abbey, well mate if jim can have an orgasm at 89yrs of age then I want to know what he drinks rolleyes.gif

Right, now I've calmed down a bit I'll try to get perspective back.

I don't want the club to go down, but I honestly fear for the future if we keep Souness. We don't have assets to sell any more(except perhaps Ferguson if anyone wants him and he comes back ok), our players are less fit than your average dodo (they lumbered compared to Liverpool yesterday, and our manager has no idea of what his best team are). You may use the "injury" excuse- but he SHOULD by now have figured out a "best of the rest"- he hasn't and we get tinker after tinker each week.

Does it make me happy to be right? Not for the club (I'd deny anyone personally to be happy about being wrong)- we have the eighth highest wage bill in the Premiership and we're languishing.

I feel sorry for John Williams too, as he doesn't seem to much like his manager, but has stuck by him throughout bad times and worse times this season, and has tried to maintain a sound financial footing doing it. This would- and make no bones about it- be destroyed by relegation.

I'm not a supporter of player power. I was totally against Sherwood for what he did to Hodgson. I cannot be unbiased enough to be sure that this is not the same, although in Hodgson's case it was mainly down to one player- this time it seems to be quite widespread- again impression only.

This season has reminded me SO much of 1999 it's scary, except then Jack Walker was there to see it. Poignantly the fans yesterday started to sing "there's only one Jack Walker" to motivate the players. Unfortunately there was not a player on the pitch who remembers Jack Walker or was influenced personally by him. He's only been dead three years. Where are the good 21/2 year olds who were around the club at that time???

The overwhelming feeling this season is sadness. We'll all disagree about the Dunn/Duff/Berg situation till............well...........forever, but I doubt anyone would argue that if we'd done the limited purchasing we were going to do (Gresko) and kept those three, we'd be in a better position than we are now. Greed/stupidity has played its part in our downfall. We'll be here to witness whatever happens next season, the rubber dinghy men won't.

Right, now I've calmed down a bit I'll try to get perspective back.

I don't want the club to go down, but I honestly fear for the future if we keep Souness. We don't have assets to sell any more(except perhaps Ferguson if anyone wants him and he comes back ok), our players are less fit than your average dodo (they lumbered compared to Liverpool yesterday, and our manager has no idea of what his best team are). You may use the "injury" excuse- but he SHOULD by now have figured out a "best of the rest"- he hasn't and we get tinker after tinker each week.

Does it make me happy to be right? Not for the club (I'd deny anyone personally to be happy about being wrong)- we have the eighth highest wage bill in the Premiership and we're languishing.

I feel sorry for John Williams too, as he doesn't seem to much like his manager, but has stuck by him throughout bad times and worse times this season, and has tried to maintain a sound financial footing doing it. This would- and make no bones about it- be destroyed by relegation.

I'm not a supporter of player power. I was totally against Sherwood for what he did to Hodgson. I cannot be unbiased enough to be sure that this is not the same, although in Hodgson's case it was mainly down to one player- this time it seems to be quite widespread- again impression only.

This season has reminded me SO much of 1999 it's scary, except then Jack Walker was there to see it. Poignantly the fans yesterday started to sing "there's only one Jack Walker" to motivate the players. Unfortunately there was not a player on the pitch who remembers Jack Walker or was influenced personally by him. He's only been dead three years. Where are the good 21/2 year olds who were around the club at that time???

The overwhelming feeling this season is sadness. We'll all disagree about the Dunn/Duff/Berg situation till............well...........forever, but I doubt anyone would argue that if we'd done the limited purchasing we were going to do (Gresko) and kept those three, we'd be in a better position than we are now. Greed/stupidity has played its part in our downfall. We'll be here to witness whatever happens next season, the rubber dinghy men won't.

Well said Jan2. I agree with everything you have said there.

I (Like JW) have stuck with Souey all along even though I havent always agreed with some (well most) of his decisions. But only now am I like yourself think back to 1999 and cant help but say - its happening again. I am totally against saking any manager until the end of the season but if we do go down (please no) then I do not want Souness in charge next season.

Great post Tris.

Jan, you actually admitted you would like to see us relegated if we were financially secure and now you back track.

Pathetic.

All of your spiteful posts on this site directed at Souness and your " told you so " posts to fellow members here are beyond words.

No true Rover would like to see us go down regardless of circumstances and personnel feelings to one individual at the club.

But only now am I like yourself think back to 1999 and cant help but say - its happening again.

yeah, i'm starting to get that feeling, i think likely Foxes in about two weeks could easily be the Forrest game again, i don't know the outcome, but seeing our lot go up against a forever battling City team is worrying. I'm still worried about the midfield, its so weak, we had 27% possession in the first half Sunday

BUT - we are still outside the bottom three.

THERE - are still about 7 teams that could go down (along with Rovers).

A miserable day - yes, end of the world - no.

Time and time again Rovers have surprised us this season - usually surprise that they can play so badly, but also surprise results pulling out wins when even the most dedicated of fans thought it wasn't possible.

The only good thing that could come out of Sunday - is that the players actually wake up to the fact that they are in a relegation dog fight. Too often this season, they seem to have put the effort in for the odd match - just to keep themselves out of the bottom three.

A while ago Souness said that maybe we would need to drop in the bottom three to make the players realise the predicament we are in. If yesterdays match proves nothing more than a wake up call - then it will be a silver lining to a b****y big dark cloud.

Neophox that post was rubbish the first time you posted it, it's not going to look good no matter how many times you do it.

Thommo and Ferguson? I believe crutches are against FA regulations.

what I meant is that its our best team when everyone's fit!

Sorry.

Regardless of the topic I must say that I have found that the attitude of rover6, despite him at times being personally insulted, to be extremely refrershing. Despite much abuse he has not resorted to answering back.

Not that I agree with anything he says, just that I respect how he puts across his opinion without resorting to namecalling which many on here (including probably myself) have at times been guilty of...

Must agree. And unlike other members of the Souness out brigade he's not started crowing 'I told you so'.

Fair play to him and long may he have his say, it's as valid as anyone's.

Must agree. And unlike other members of the Souness out brigade he's not started crowing 'I told you so'.

Fair play to him and long may he have his say, it's as valid as anyone's.

fair play to that, but a little while ago every single thread was turning into a Rovers6 slagging thread which got on my tits, there would be three pages to every thread replying to a Rovers6 comment.

Personally i think people that slagged off Souness in October were wrong to do so it was too early and LUCKY that that their prediction came true because i could have never guessed that Gresko, Neill, Tugay,Flitcorft, Cole, Jansen, Thompson, Ferguson, Freidel, Babbel, Thompson, Baggio, Reid, Amoruso (have i missed anyone) would all lose form or get injured.

people slagging off Souness in recent months maybe more people respect their opinions now

how does a manager deal with so many players being inconsistent, the answer!, he panicks makes mistakes, can't find his staring line up for every game, falls out with players, changes the team, yet we have still made no progress.

I'm walking the gangplank onto the same boat as Capt Tris. Doubt my match costs are quite in the same league as others (Tris, Jordan, T4E........) but there I was feeling very hacked off, sat in the coach outside Anfield yesterday as we went nowhere for an hour. After watching that performance 'why do I do this' came to mind. It's called being a Rovers fan.

I'll be there next season (haven't been to Millmoor before) no matter what happens and I hope GS will be given at least half a season to try and kick what's left (there's a pun in there somewhere) after summer into shape. There's loads of players he's brought in remember.

Bob F - it's time to dust that understairs cupboard.

The problem for me is, i said that to T4E as we were driving into Liverpool.

My trip counter in the car tells me I spent 8 hours 25 minutes driving yesterday from where I filled up my car up in the morning to when I got home at 10pm. Whats the bloody point?

Roll on Leeds rolleyes.gif

Except calling everyone on the site facists in his second ever post....

I think that it would be a disaster for us to get rid of Souness now, because there wouldn't be anyone available, who would be good enough to keep us in the League. I think that Souness can keep us up, but that depends on how he gets the players to respond to the situation we are in. If we do stay up, then I think we should see how we do next season, before making the decision of whether or not Souness should go.

They already do, blue phil, it's those involved with the direct running of the team that aren't doing so.

Definitely not having a go at Williams or the board , Percy ; their position is unenviable to say the least . I'm just hoping and praying that contingency plans are being made for if we lose on Saturday . Souness's position will be untenable then and I just hope Williams will be able to dangle a straw for us to clutch at....

That probably wasn't his best moment I agree.

Actually, I just went back and read it, and WHILE I DO NOT AGREE with what he said, it was actually a pretty funny post.

Souness must go if lose to Leeds. Similar position to Fulham last season wgo sacked Tigana and then won 3 out of last 5 to stay up. Having said there is no Coleman in the wings so Peter Reid would be the prime candidate to motivate the uselless idle prats.

I cant see Souness resigning. He just loves that money. I certainly dont wish to see us relegated just because I dont like the manager but having said that I shudder to think that if we stay up the board will extend Souness' contract.

At the end of the day the players have to respect the manager whoever he may be and the manager has to give ALL his players respect and a fair crack of the whip. This is just not the case at Ewood which is no surprise with the comments made to me by 3 different players last season when I have carried out work for them. That is fact not fiction.

The choice for the manager at this present time would have to be Mark Hughes, a lovely man who would carry the utmost respect of all the players and he himself would respect his playing staff.

Kenny of course would be the same but it is not always a good move to return to a club so I would perhaps rule him out.

One ex player who I would think would eventually make an excellent Rovers manager would be Henning Berg.

Let me say now that no matter what any of our views may be, we all want Blackburn Rovers to be a success and for some of the posts to insinuate otherwise is totally ludicrous.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.