BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] De Pedro Signs

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the mumblings from southampton is that they were ###### that he and the club wanted more money.

Part of it was that we wern't willing to pay the extra that Real wanted. However De Pedro was more than happy with the wages we were prepared to offer, like i said he was only on 4k a week. Again no one seems to be taking me seriously, thinking I'm here to say how crap he is just bitter that we didn't get him. He can be a great player for you, as a lot of us wish he had for us. As for his 'problem' (which you have all picked up on and made it bigger than it is.) I'd love to know what it is, it may be something tiny but Lowe seemed to think it was a big deal. Anyway none of it matters now, let's see how he performs for you!

Ah c'mon, I'm sure you can take a bit of good natured banter, and the info is appreciated by some of us. Will let you know if De Pedro is any good or not after he tees up Steadinho for his hat-trick at your place next season... biggrin.gifwink.gif

P.S. If he was willing to accept 12k a week it's an even better piece of business by JW and Souey in my book.

I wonder what Revidge will think? unsure.gif

I've not seen him play so I'll reserve judgement.

However for a free he could be a very good signing and a two year deal isn't excessive given his age. Weren't we quoted £1.5 or £2m for him in the January window?

Without getting into the "have we any money" debate if there were no major departures and if we could hypothetically offload Flitcroft and bring in Butt we might have the makings of a top 6 side once again.

Also agree with the new poster who said we need a centre half and decent right back. Mills and Matteo on reduced wages would do nicely.

Where are Newcastle waving £3m at us for Neill when you need them? rolleyes.gif

How true, I don't know, but I have seen numerous reports saying that he was dropped at Real as he had refused to sign a new contract.

Makes sense to me - why play a player who is definitely leaving, when you have somebody to take his place.

I am fairly optmistic that Souey may have pulled off a bit of a coup - after all, only a few months ago Southampton were prepared to pay £1.5m for a 31 year old biggrin.gif

although i don't want to see flitty get sold...i hve to agree revidge in that we would not really lose anything if we got rid of flitty and brought in nicky butt. but....rather than sell flitty i would look at selling steven reid and some other fringe players to hopefully get a few million for them and try and get nicky to come here...cracking signing he would be no matter what people think.

oh and btw....we don't want newcastle or anyone else for that matter to try adn buy lucas wink.gif

Why sell Neill?He had a below-average season but he will be back and we already have good competition for right back now with Emerton likely to play there at times next season,I HOPE!

Thompson-Emerton also challenging for the right wing spot and probably Thompson and De Pedro challenging for the left wing spot.

Now if we can get rid of Yorke,Todd and possibly Flitcroft if we need money and sign a CD and maybe Nicky Butt.

Blackburn is not alot different to Sociedad and I’m sure you’ll enjoy dining at the town’s many Spanish restaurants. You can of course try the local cuisine. The chippy at the top of Shear Brow does an excellent steak pudding and mushy peas with gravy. Better than paella I’d say!

Sociedad? Where on earth is this place called Sociedad???

As for the chippy at the top of Shear Brow...it's a chinese now you know..

..do you keep up you old fart/tart tongue.gif !!!....

Edited by FourLaneBlue

For those of you who don't read the media watch forum, a short extract from fansfc.com:

"De Pedro was one of Spain’s stars in the 2002 World Cup but had a disappointing last season in San Sebastián, drifting in and out of the team." sad.gif

Later, however, it came out, through various sources including Lowe, that there were other reasons we didn't sign him. Saints not only scout players on the pitch, but also off it, and apparently the club were shocked at aspects of his lifestyle. He is said to have a 'big problem', but no one really knows what it was Saints found. Anyway we will watch De Pedro with much interest, and hope, of course, he turns out to be crap biggrin.gif

What a suprise!

After Lowe messed up yet again some other things came out??? You amaze me!

I won't be so amazed again until the next time you need a manager and Lowe goes sniffing around Hoddle's arse once more...

PS- liquidsaint, i'm not slating you- just interesting how these rumours came out after he turned your lot down and not before...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Now we need AT LEAST ONE DEFENDER. Preferably a Central Defender. It surely has to be top of the priority list now. Given that Babbel and Todd (likely) are not here, we need to delve for a top notch central defender.

And if its true that we haven't needed to pay serious money for De Pedro and Dickov then surley the majority of the pot should go towards a Centrl Defender.

Just the problem of who now! - Pity Puyol hadn't just fell out wi folk at Barca and refused a new contract. He's top notch!!!

I'm delighted we've signed a left midfielder/winger, but I have to say that I'm a little worried about how he's going to settle and whether his heart will really be in it.  Let's face it, how many Spaniards have come over to play in England and been a success?  I'm sure there must be one or two but I'm struggling to think of them.

I suspect he'll start off like a house on fire for about 10 games and quickly become a fans favourite before fading when he starts to get a little tired and the weather becomes a tad too chilly for him.  Then obviously in January he'll pick up a career-threatening injury like most of our new signings do and be out for the rest of the season.

Still, even if we only get 10 good games out of him next season it'll be 9 more than anyone else has managed on the left since Duff departed.

Well that's hardly a ringing endorsement from the bloke who a couple of months ago was citing the lack of a left footed player (any left footed player, Souness should have found one!) as one of the principal reasons for Rovers poor showing.

Now we've got one, he gets grief because he's Spanish!! Why didn't you say two months ago you only wanted a left midfielder from anywhere else but Spain !??

We discussed at that time about our (London Branch) Q and A session with John Williams, I tried to explain - without saying what we'd been asked not to say - how Rovers had made left midfield the number one priority in the transfer window but would not sign players at the wrong price. De Pedro was a major target in January.

At the time De Pedro was a £2 million pound player according to his club. Wrong price. Today he was a free transfer. Right price.

Once again, Williams and Souness have got this absolutely spot on. The critical element on here should take a step back and actually look at how well our club is being managed, on the tightest of budgets.

5 Premiership clubs would have loved to have taken De Pedro on - rumoured off-field problems or not. We know 9 Premiership clubs would have loved Dickov on their books. We've now got both, to add to an already fantastic array of talent in midfield and up front.

Look forward to the addition of a centre half, the return of Ferguson and co, and roll on August.

Edited by Tris

I'm delighted we've signed a left midfielder/winger, but I have to say that I'm a little worried about how he's going to settle and whether his heart will really be in it. Let's face it, how many Spaniards have come over to play in England and been a success? I'm sure there must be one or two but I'm struggling to think of them.

I suspect he'll start off like a house on fire for about 10 games and quickly become a fans favourite before fading when he starts to get a little tired and the weather becomes a tad too chilly for him. Then obviously in January he'll pick up a career-threatening injury like most of our new signings do and be out for the rest of the season.

Still, even if we only get 10 good games out of him next season it'll be 9 more than anyone else has managed on the left since Duff departed.

Like any true Rovers fan, I really hope De Pedro works out.

Is his heart still in it? Who knows. As Souness himself said - every signing is a risk and you don't know until they've been here a while if they are going to work out. So well done for filling the gaping hole and lets hope he's hungry.

My only real worry is that our track record in non-Scandinavian footballers new to the country has been one of 100% failure (to the best of my memory); mostly due to failure to settle:

Donis

Perez

Valery

Grabbi

Yordi

Suker

Baggio

The only ones to thrive either came from somewhere colder (Berg) or were already acclimatised to the UK, usually at somewhere colder and wetter:

Tugay in Glasgow

Arentoft in Newcastle

To change this trend, I would hope that someone of importance in the club is demanding to know what will be done differently this time to help the guy ( and presumably a family) settle in?

On the plus side, the presence of a seemingly happy Campo over t'hill in Horwich might be of benefit.

So I'd like to suggest that De Pedro forsakes the Ribble Valley and lodges with my Mum and Dad in Tockholes; so he'll be nice and close to his fellow Spaniard. And with the Black Bull, Rock, Vic and Royal to choose from; he won't have any reason to complain about the lack of somewhere to eat out.

I'm delighted we've signed a left midfielder/winger, but I have to say that I'm a little worried about how he's going to settle and whether his heart will really be in it.  Let's face it, how many Spaniards have come over to play in England and been a success?  I'm sure there must be one or two but I'm struggling to think of them.

I suspect he'll start off like a house on fire for about 10 games and quickly become a fans favourite before fading when he starts to get a little tired and the weather becomes a tad too chilly for him.  Then obviously in January he'll pick up a career-threatening injury like most of our new signings do and be out for the rest of the season.

Well that's hardly a ringing endorsement from the bloke who a couple of months ago was citing the lack of a left footed player (any left footed player, Souness should have found one!) as one of the principal reasons for Rovers poor showing.

Now we've got one, he gets grief because he's Spanish!! Why didn't you say two months ago you only wanted a left midfielder from anywhere else but Spain !??

We discussed at that time about our (London Branch) Q and A session with John Williams, I tried to explain - without saying what we'd been asked not to say - how Rovers had made left midfield the number one priority in the transfer window but would not sign players at the wrong price. De Pedro was a major target in January.

At the time De Pedro was a £2 million pound player according to his club. Wrong price. Today he was a free transfer. Right price.

Once again, Williams and Souness have got this absolutely spot on. The critical element on here should take a step back and actually look at how well our club is being managed, on the tightest of budgets.

5 Premiership clubs would have loved to have taken De Pedro on - rumoured off-field problems or not. We know 9 Premiership clubs would have loved Dickov on their books. We've now got both, to add to an already fantastic array of talent in midfield and up front.

Look forward to the addition of a centre half, the return of Ferguson and co, and roll on August.

What an excellent signing. I would have to agree with Tris 100% and say that this was an excellent piece of business on the part of Souness and Williams, signing at the right valuation and at the right time. I am sure several other english clubs would have wanted his signature but we were the first. The fact that Souness persued Pedersen shows he had a variety of targets and that left midfield is very much his priority and overall i am delighted at our progression so far. The question remains - will he be able to adapt? But with similar questions over Pedersens progression/adaptability i think we have to take that risk with most available players. At 30 he is probably past his best but on a free transfer he isnt going to cost the club.

Overall i am delighted at the progress made so far this summer. Providing we purchase a central defender, for the first team or for backup, I will be a very happy fan come August. Well done Souness and JW

Edited by tcj_jones

Finally a left sided midfielder!

I would have liked to snap up Gamst Pedersen, simple for his youth and scope for improvement and such. But, the fact that we got De Pedro on a Bosman does make business sense.

I hope MGP doesn't go somewhere and tear it up, but oh well..

Welcome Javier.

ever since i heard he was unsettled in october i have been pushing for this signing.

Hes a good player that will have to work on his pace, but he has a killer shot/cross and shouldn't dissapoint rovers fans.

I am really pleased with this signing.

For this coming season (which is the only one which REALLY matters), de Pedro is probably much less of a risk than MGP.

He has been there done it and played consistently well in one of the world's top leagues as well as internationally for Spain.

It means that oppositions have to cover the full width of the park to stop potential Rovers' match winners and it is a long time since that was last the case.

Whilst San Sebastien (home of Real Sociedad) is one of my favourite cities visually, it isn't exactly a bundle of laughs- there is heavy industry, unemployment and the security situation is not good with an average of at least two ETA outrages in the city every year. It has the same uneasy feeling as parts of Ireland with the amount of Basque flags and political grafiti.

Oh, and we talk about rain in Blackburn? You ain't seen rain until you have been to the Basque country!

If he had been living in the countryside around San Sebastien, I don't think he will find the countryside and people in it that different around Blackburn.

As for his problem (which he clearly has- Sociedad isn't such a rich club they could sideline a star player for most of a season, even if he said he was off on a Bosman at the end of the year- Bolton would have nobody playing for them on that basis!), it could easily become our problem.

The Rovers must have had a lot of experience of knowing how best to bring in overseas players by now and to be honest, I think they have been plain unlucky in the past. After all, by all accounts, Grabbi was very happy living in Lancashire- shame about the football!

Lets see if Souey has learnt some new managerial skills during his post-season reflection he told us he would be doing. A big fall out with de Pedro is the last thing we want.

This is the first that I have actually heard of the transfer coming through.

I’m really pleased that we have got him. He’ll bring a balance to the team now and allow another option to the midfield.

His skill is top class; he will be a star in the Premier League from what I have seen on him, clips from La Liga, brilliant.

He isn’t getting any younger though.

tinykit.gif

Yes, sorry Tris. How dare I stray off message. Fantastic signing, everything at the Rovers is great and I'm sure we'll now win the league.

I'm very excited about the signing as we almost certainly didn't offer as much in wages as some other clubs in spain would of, hopefully means he has a point to prove. However i really worried that the main priority of a defender is being overlooked!!! we KNOW we can already score goals even without tommo and fergy but we CAN'T defend at all. Everyone could see we needed a new defender even before the start of last season, it's even more obvious now as short a year older and more prone to injury.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.