BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle 3-0 Blackburn Rovers

Newcastle 4 (Shearer 90 pen. 91pen. 92 pen. 93 pen.)

Rovers 0

All from clear handballs in our box by newcastle players and not rovers!

Have to think that the geordies will be up for this but on the other hand losing there 5 years manager may do more damage than good here shoping!

No prediction as i don't want to curse us again! *grabs lucky shamrock*

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm suprised there's not more optimism about this one. Against Utd the team was the most balanced, and more importantly fired up for a long time. We battled for every ball and for once looking as if they really care; which has been lacking somewhat of late. Evidently we've realised that we are allowed to play in the first half... Things are looking good. Added to which the team will be really fired up about the injustice of their last result.

Newcastle on the other hand have quite a few discontented players, which Sir Bobby just about kept from anarchy. As every manager so far has ruled themselves out of the running for the job (even Sam thinks Bolton's a better bet) it's likely there may be a coach in charge. And if Bobby struggled to keep Newcastle as a cohesive unit, then the coach will find it really difficult. Regardless of team selection there's going to be some naffed off players in the Newcastle dressing room. Getting the players motivated for this one is going to be a struggle for Newcastle. If ever a team's ready for getting beaten its Newcastle. Mind you, I thought the same about Southampton.

My team: Freidel, Neill, Short, Nissa (if Amo's suspended) Grey, Emerton, Tugay, Ferguson, Pederson, Dickov, Stead.

2-1 Rovers, with us getting a 2 goal lead before a nervy finish.

First match with a new manager was wonderful for Soton...

2-1 to us, Bothroyd and Ferguson (both off of Emerton assists) Kluivert doing what he does best and scoring a garbage time goal (only 13 of his goals for Barca was for a win or a draw).

Aussie, I'm saying that he scores a lot of goals when it doesn't matter. Essentially when the match is over either way. When it comes down to crunch time and you need points, he's not the striker you want.

Have not got my ticket yet, should arrive soon, will let you know what row I am in.

Row T?? Have a spare pair of binoculars if you need them biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Geordie friends are more scared of us, and are particularly worried by the prospect of having EL TEL in charge, if that is the case.

Pumped up for match, can almost taste that sweet corona, mmmmm........

and a victory!!!!!

Well, after a long lay off im back to add my two cents.

I cannot believe we did not sign a midfield partner for Ferguson, but on the whole the aquisitions of MGP and Boothroyd are good.

How I would like to see us lineup on Saturday:

Stead    Dickov

Pedersen        Thompson    Emerton

Ferguson

Gray      Short      Matteo    Niell

Friedel

Bench: Boothroyd, De Pedro (if fit), Johansson, Enckleman, Tugay

While Barry is arguably wasted in the holding role we now appear to have little choice but to play him there. Tugay needs more space than he will get at Newcastle and Douglas is an appalling passer of the ball. Matteo is required in defence.

If Thompson is injured (is he fit?) then Tugay can be drafted in reluctantly or even De Pedro, providing he has improved his condition, could be given a central playmaking role.

One thing seems likely, our success this season may well depend upon Ferguson becoming more tenacious in the tackle as it appears he will be left to fight this front virtually single handed.

I dont think we will win this one: 2-1 Newcastle.

Oh, one further point.

If thompson does become a central midfielder and Emerton never improves his woeful form I would like to see Gallagher given a shot on the right wing. He can beat a player, something Brett cannot, and provide a decent cross. Its worth a shot.

Apparently Boothroyd can play there too.

Rover win 2-1 with a goal in the 10th minute of injury time as Alan Wiley tries to make amends

No chance! There will be a 1-1 draw, with the first ever 'time taken off' instead of 'time added on' thereby negating the goal that Rovers scored in the 40th second of the 45th minute mad.gif

There's a decent pub, just outside the ground, behind the goals which are opposite the Rovers end. Full of Geordies mind, but me and PennyDuff got in 2 years ago without any problems.

Plenty of good places to eat and drink down by the Tyne where it has all been modernised. It's then just a short walk up through the shopping area to the ground.

Top place, a great day out and I wish I was going.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.