BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] fans NOT going to Burnley - please read.

AndyNeil

Turf Moor Reasons for not Attending  

119 members have voted

1. 1. I am not going to Turf Moor because

• Ticket Price
    • Transport Cost
    • Combination of 1 & 2
    • Enforced Transport
    • Overcrowding at Turf Moor
    • TV Coverage

As the club announce that the tickets go on open sale, I'm interested to know the reasons why fans are choosing to stay away from the East Lancashire derby.

PLEASE NOTE THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS NOT A "I'M BETTER THAN YOU", IT IS TO TRY AND UNDERSTAND AND OFFER FEEDBACK TO THE CLUB/POLICE AS TO WHY FANS ARE STAYING AWAY FROM THIS FIXTURE.

Mods, could you please run a poll on this with option of ticking more than one box (if possible).

A) ticket price

B) transport price

C) Combo of A & B

D) enforced transport

E) over crowding at Turf Moor

F) tv coverage

If the reason is something other than the options above, please leave your reason below. If as many people could vote who AREN'T going before 7pm this evening, that would be great!

:rover:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to Turf Moor twice (2-0 victory in the promotion season and 0-0 in the FA Cup) so I do feel as though I've sampled the atmosphere and experienced the highs of a derby day victory.

That said, I've decided not to go for three of the reasons.

1. I think the transport situation is a complete overkill and certainly spoils the day.

2. Tickets are too expensive! £38.50?!!! Extortionate for a Championship fixture.

3. I don't want to be forced to stay in the stadium for a hour if we lose.

I didn't go last year but listened on the radio, the fact it is on TV is a bonus.

I have quite a few Burnley friends (through school, cricket etc) and all of them agree with my first two points, the transport situation and cost ruins what should be the biggest fixture for both clubs. I expect a smaller turnout from Burnley when they come to Ewood later in the season.

A & D for me.

Although for D is not just the forced transport, its the ridiculous start time, meandering 1 hour journey to Turf Moor and back again, and altogether seemingly endless delays and tortuously lengthy and slow pace at which the whole day bar the match seems to move. I know there's safety concerns but its not crossing the Israel-Palestine border and some aspects of the day seem very over the top.

And another reason which isn't mentioned is the irritatingly anti-social kick-off times the games are always played at.

To their credit this isn't something you can accuse either club of generally being like, but as far as this fixture's concerned I think its looked upon as a big cash cow without any concern for the fan experience. Never thought I'd say this but I've become a bit disillusioned with them.

Im going but the 2 regulars i go with are giving it a miss after last seasons shoddy experience. No mistake it's the travel arrangements that are keeping them at home. After getting up for work at 5.30am everyday the last thing you want to do is sit on a bus/stand in a concourse for 2 or 3 hours for a game on a Saturday morning and the same coming back when you would normally set off an hour and a half before. Then be charged £38.50 for the privilege.

1) D

2) A

3) F

4) B

5) E

1. Following BRFc to Burnley takes up an entire day. When it's on tv it's too easy to watch elsewhere.

2. I hate coach trips.

3. Given up going away cos of the dollopers that one is likely to be seated behind or next to. Plus I hate watching what I consider to be half a match with a distorted view from behind the goals.

Away grounds in this Div should offer a section in the stands alongside the pitch imo. If they want to charge more to dissuade certain elements then thats fine by me.

btw..... I must say Dec 17 at t'Turf lives long in my memory of BRFC highlights..... even more so than the April Fools Day massacre.

Been to that place often over the years, but as I said in my preview, will not be herded like cattle, and be overcharged for the privilege.

Matter of civil liberty, I can go to every other away game unrestricted, and I consider Leeds to be far more intimidating a place.

More police in and around the ground.

The fact that it's on TV is great and it may just prompt the authorities to reconsider arrangements when they see the ground far from full, for a game that should be at capacity and rocking.

• Backroom

£38.50 to be treated like a criminal for 8 hours? No ta.

I have a pal who lives in Burnley (Rovers fan) who would walk to the ground minus club colours with no issue.

Instead, he'd have to rise at 7am to get to Ewood for 9am. And he'd likely not be home til 5 or even 6pm. That'd be 11hours for him! On top of this, he can't really enjoy a pre or post-match pint either.

The policing itself, I've no issues with, as I'd rather be safe. But why additional measures need to be put in place is beyond me. Just having more cops than a usual away game is more than adequate.

But sod it, he's coming round mine for the match with a couple drinks and a curry later on. About £15 each, tops.

Mainly cost, especially in the middle of a house move.

But also the fact that it's on TV helps - I'd, quite frankly, rather be in my own living room with my wife and son, feet up in my own comfy chair, with a brew in my hand (and £40 better off).

I'm not going due to being at Wedding that day sadly. cos original the game was schedule for Sunday NOT Saturday Dinnertime. will get to watch the game live on TV tho.

But I don't think I would go with the chaos of having to be at the Ewood Park 3 hours before kick off to get a coach there that's takes 20 mins and getting home around 5pm. so its around 7 or 8 hours trip for a trip that would be no long than 3 and half/4 hours normally. Plus the game being on TV will make a lot of fans watch it at home or in the local pub with a few pints.

Also a lot of fans worked Saturday mornings so Dinner time kick offs are a problem aswell.

Plus fans who have families will also be short of money at the time of year with a lot just being on summer Holiday or having to pay for kids school cost and bills that have gone up this year.

• Moderation Lead

I'm going, I wouldn't miss it. But there's no doubt that the transportation, cost and over-zealous policing is completely ridiculous for

A GAME OF FOOTBALL BETWEEN 2 TEAMS 12 MILES APART.

btw..... I must say Dec 17 at t'Turf lives long in my memory of BRFC highlights..... even more so than the April Fools Day massacre.

How times change eh Gordon? I remember 'siding' with you on the messageboard in the week leading up to the game you mention. At the time it looked like we would not sell all our tickets. I remember stating that the "empty seats would stand out like rotten teeth" and cause embarassment to the club. I seem to remember you agreed.

Anyway early start for me on Saturday..... Brother's wedding up in North Yorkshire on Friday ... bang goes my original plan of having a few bevies at the hotel during the evening do :(

The cost, there's no way I'm paying £40 to watch a Championship match.

The hassle, there's no way I'm spending all day to watch a game ten miles away.

My rights, there's no way I'm putting up with such an infringement on my right to travel when and where I want.

This will be the first Burnley game, home or away that I have missed in my lifetime. That's going back nearly sixty years and includes those silly pre season tournaments in the seventies.

I'm not going due to being at Wedding that day sadly. cos original the game was schedule for Sunday NOT Saturday Dinnertime. will get to watch the game live on TV tho.

But I don't think I would go with the chaos of having to be at the Ewood Park 3 hours before kick off to get a coach there that's takes 20 mins and getting home around 5pm. so its around 7 or 8 hours trip for a trip that would be no long than 3 and half/4 hours normally. Plus the game being on TV will make a lot of fans watch it at home or in the local pub with a few pints.

Also a lot of fans worked Saturday mornings so Dinner time kick offs are a problem aswell.

Plus fans who have families will also be short of money at the time of year with a lot just being on summer Holiday or having to pay for kids school cost and bills that have gone up this year.

The timings you mention are some kind of myth which seemed to have gathered momentum on here Chaddy. The coaches are scheduled to leave at 10 am ie two hours before kick off. After the game the coaches are to leave as soon as everybody is on them so if that goes well we will be back for around 4 pm. Now if you were travelling independently what time would you leave and expect to get home at? The price could be prohibitive for some and I can understand that but to use the time away as an excuse is poor in my opinion.

Went last season and have been many times since the initial one in 1976.

Last season was diabolical.Herded onto coaches like cattle and spoken to by stewards like a piece of dog stuff. Sat on a coach for almost 3 hours until arrival and then finding that a) there was little or no hope of a drink or something to eat

B) an almighty crush under the stand.

c) incredibly poor toileting arrangements due to the overcrowding,(god knows how the ladies got on.)

d) the long trip home.

So all in all, I would not want to be herded like a convict and shackled metaphorically.

Ridiculous overkill.

I've added the poll for Fernhurst so perhaps those who replied could go back and vote?

My objection is the transport to which is added the conditions at Turf Moor before the game. Last time I was there the crowding and conditions under the stand were appalling. I don't want to arrive 1-2 hours before KO and have to hang around in the seats unable to get a drink, coffee, toilets etc. It's really very, very unpleasant.

Archived