BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Squad 2017/18

• Backroom

Well, the inevitable happened and we are relegated to league one. 

Who stays and who goes next season? 

From today's line up I'd imagine the following will stay: Raya, Nyambe, Williams, Ward and have a funny feeling we might keep hold of Graham.

From the bench I'd like to think we can keep Conway, Akpan and Feeney. 

Everyone else I think is either sellable or out of contract or on loan. 

It's very highly doubtful that Venkys are going to get the cheque book out so we're probably going to be stuck with what we have left, something like...

Raya

Nyambe Greer Ward Williams

Feeney Akpan Tomlinson Conway

Graham Mansell

Not a bad side for league one but the above is if we're lucky and the strength in depth would be none existent. Thoughts?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Greer's commitment level is proven by the fact he took a Sky pay day to be a pundit at the forest game rather than being down at Brentford with his teammates and suffering fans.

I fear what comes next is worse than anything we have come to see before, all the out of contract bods leaving and anyone worth a penny to follow.

Mulgrew, Lenihan and Nyambe will be cashed in on.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Greer, Akpan are both out of contract

on Graham, his wages are around 20k a week cant see many Championship clubs paying him that. Plus he has fitness concerns aswell.

Ward's wages are around 12k I heard.

Neither of those 2 will be here next season then.

Raya (£3k)

Nyambe (£3k) Greer (£3k) Ward (£3k) Williams (£5k)

Feeney (£5k) Akpan (£10k) Tomlinson (£3k) Conway (£10k)

Graham (£15k) Mansell (£3k)

Assuming none of them leave. Then assuming the rumour about the Mahoney contract offer is true then our younger players can expect to be on no more than (£3k). Then, let's say, Williams gets a bonus for being POTY. Akpan, Conway and Graham won't renegotiate their contracts. I've tried to be conservative about their respective fees given their age and likely inducements to sign and a potential relegation clause.

That first XI totals £63k per week. Over a year that's £3.3m. League One rules dictate that we can only spend 60% of revenue on wages so we need £5.5m income. (With volunteers manning the subs bench).

TV and prize money are a pittance and there are no parachute payments.

Season ticket sales total, let's be optimistic and say 7,000 at £200 each to account for concessions (still on the high side) is £1.4m. 

That's a whopping £4.1m shortfall that needs covering. Including £2.2m which can't be spent on wages but presumably could be taken as profit and the "reinvested" back as a capital investment by the owners? So actually we still only need another £3.3m!

Therefore the difference between income and spend (if the 'donation' is allowed) is £1.9m - phew!

Everyone now needs a £3,300 pay cut. Sorry young uns, forget that car payment, you need to pay Rovers £300 to play!

Just kidding, luckily we've sold everyone else including Lenihan, Mulgrew and Bennett for £5m (total) probably to pay for Senior, Cheston and the agents who helped to sell the players.

On historic evidence none of the money made will actually be reinvested so I suspect Graham, Feeney, Akpan and Conway would be found new clubs. Some Championship loanees would then fill the gaps.

What a great time to be a Rovers fan.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Greer, Akpan are both out of contract

on Graham, his wages are around 20k a week cant see many Championship clubs paying him that. Plus he has fitness concerns aswell.

Ward's wages are around 12k I heard.

We can't afford either of those wages now, never mind next season.

Greer was told he was not featuring for BRFC a few weeks ago so he wont be here. Hopefully the likes of Feeney wont ever darken our doors again.

As for playing staff, Lenihan, Mulgrew and Graham are the only sellable assets, all under contract. Steele will go, Bennett and Ward will also go, Mahoney wont sign so that leaves a whole host of rebuilding on the cheap!

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Raya (£3k)

Nyambe (£3k) Greer (£3k) Ward (£3k) Williams (£5k)

Feeney (£5k) Akpan (£10k) Tomlinson (£3k) Conway (£10k)

Graham (£15k) Mansell (£3k)

Assuming none of them leave. Then assuming the rumour about the Mahoney contract offer is true then our younger players can expect to be on no more than (£3k). Then, let's say, Williams gets a bonus for being POTY. Akpan, Conway and Graham won't renegotiate their contracts. I've tried to be conservative about their respective fees given their age and likely inducements to sign and a potential relegation clause.

That first XI totals £63k per week. Over a year that's £3.3m. League One rules dictate that we can only spend 60% of revenue on wages so we need £5.5m income. (With volunteers manning the subs bench).

TV and prize money are a pittance and there are no parachute payments.

Season ticket sales total, let's be optimistic and say 7,000 at £200 each to account for concessions (still on the high side) is £1.4m. 

That's a whopping £4.1m shortfall that needs covering. Including £2.2m which can't be spent on wages but presumably could be taken as profit and the "reinvested" back as a capital investment by the owners? So actually we still only need another £3.3m!

Therefore the difference between income and spend (if the 'donation' is allowed) is £1.9m - phew!

Everyone now needs a £3,300 pay cut. Sorry young uns, forget that car payment, you need to pay Rovers £300 to play!

Just kidding, luckily we've sold everyone else including Lenihan, Mulgrew and Bennett for £5m (total) probably to pay for Senior, Cheston and the agents who helped to sell the players.

On historic evidence none of the money made will actually be reinvested so I suspect Graham, Feeney, Akpan and Conway would be found new clubs. Some Championship loanees would then fill the gaps.

What a great time to be a Rovers fan.

I think it was mentioned today you start league one with £1m rather than the £6m in the championship (around £105m in the prem - read it and weep venkys)

• Backroom

Josh Askew has mentioned on Twitter that he is leaving and not being renewed.

Don't know much about him so can't say if it's a big loss or not.

Just now, Tom said:

I think it was mentioned today you start league one with £1m rather than the £6m in the championship (around £105m in the prem - read it and weep venkys)

Where has that come from Tom? Source?

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Where has that come from Tom? Source?

Sorry the commentator said it today during the game unless I misheard it totally 

Just now, Tom said:

Sorry the commentator said it today during the game unless I misheard it totally 

I've being trying to find League One prize money figures and the numbers I found were in the order of low 6 figures.

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Talking to some of the London Branch today, Senior was at their end of season event.

He said ALL out of contract players will be out the door.

Typical that Lowe leaves just as we reach his level.

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

I've being trying to find League One prize money figures and the numbers I found were in the order of low 6 figures.

I would trust your research more than theirs to be honest mate, a lot of the lines were very apologetic to our owners 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Talking to some of the London Branch today, Senior was at their end of season event.

He said ALL out of contract players will be out the door.

That has been obvious for a while.

All those in contracts will be actively touted around for sale.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

the sky commentator DID say money was a 1 million not the 6million dished out for being in the championship.

Archived