BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

And if Mowbray does well ?

Then we'll all be happy of course. I have never been on his back and like how he talks - but lets not make out that he is some football god, he did relegate 2 teams last season.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HowieFive0 said:

And if Mowbray does well ?

He'll say "I told you so"

All today has done is shown up those posters who thought we would walk this league with 100+ points, and expected playing teams like Southend to be like playing the The Dog and Duck.

Many of our players, who struggled so badly over the last couple of years, are being heralded as too good for this league and I just don't see it.

Im liking how everyone is covering their a$$ with .."i like Mowbray but .."

How is that covering their a$$ ???

Unlike Coyle and Kean he comes across as a genuine bloke who talks a good game.

Im liking how everyone is covering their a$$ with .."i like Mowbray but .."

Did anyone say they liked coyle or kean (uncapitalised purposely) ? THe guy is a nice bloke - thats clear from fans of not just this club but all the others in the past. What you have to do though - is look at facts rather than emotions. 

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

How is that covering their a$$ ???

Unlike Coyle and Kean he comes across as a genuine bloke who talks a good game.

Its called leaving their options open Hasta so they dont look a tw @t if mowbray does actually achieve something .

If you'd asked me to predict this one, knowing nothing of our team and having not watched rovers for a season, I'd have said loss. Not because I want them to lose. I certainly don't.  But we all know that Rovers often lose, and used to even when they were quite good, matches they should in theory get at least a draw from. Then they go and win games you wouldn't give them a chance in. Southend know this league. Their manager isn't bad either

12 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

My worry is Mowbray thinks he can football his way out of the division.  Today's team was all wrong. We've just been spanked away at Carlisle, he talks about a wake-up call and then puts out the same kind of team, far too attacking and far too flimsy, flanks wide-open and the full-backs exposed.

Mowbray needs to adapt to the division, not expect to roll up at some tough grounds and be allowed to pass the ball round like it's a training game.

But apparently decided to go with a long ball game, which was always unlikely to succeed.

No panic, but an early reality check to those with a ridiculous amount of over confidence, (on social media rather than here, I hasten to add).

Let's have a look after ten games. We need a reasonable start or that familiar sinking feeling will return on and off the pitch.

May at least strengthen the manager's position regarding further incoming transfers.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think its a few people to be fair. 

Anyway logging off before I say something I regret

I like to be able to come on here and say - what a good performance that was. We looked like a team, we had a pattern of play, a coherent way of getting the ball from our end to their end, every player contributed in some way, they made me proud of the shirt etc etc. I'm not talking about Bryan Douglas style wizardry on the ball, I'm just asking for honest effort and the will to win.

There's a cancer at the heart of our club and whilst that's the case we'll never thrive.

Positives: kit looks good. Got to see the match on iFollow.

Negatives: the rest.

Conclusion: Mowbray needs to get them to "man up" and at least put up a fight. For the first game of the season with a fair chunk of goodwill from fans and the owners alike despite relegation it was a pathetic performance and that is the fault of both the manager and the players.

Nobody wants to go gung ho but as the big cheeses allegedly in this div I feel we have the personnel to force the issue a bit more so hopefully that takes shape as Mowbray often talks about attacking football but in his time here we've seen very little of it aside from an impressive last day display against a team already on the beach.

"I like Mowbray but " his motivating of the team as an attacking force does worry me a bit and did last season, of course that wasn't his team but the engine room of this is.

To be fair though someone was saying they went for Dack early and looked to knock him out of his stride so the management have to have the team whipped up from the off to counter this stuff not just after a half time rollicking. 

Just now, Batman. said:

I like him Tom but I'm not sure what gives you such confidence?

Last time in this league he failed badly.

I too am concerned he wants to pussy foot his way out of the league. Whether or not it's possible is yet to be seen...

Right now, this is my big worry.

He got it wrong today, it happens. But Mowbray's pedigree is of much higher standards, better quality players, and opponents who, by and large, play football: PL, SPL, and Championship.

We are now going to come up against teams, players and managers who are well drilled in the art at this level and will be physical and direct and will love playing against a 'big name' like Rovers - especially if we are going to be passing it around patiently. Even moreso if our confidence wanes. All of the pre-season tests look to have been about raising confidence - hence the low grade teams. The one real test we lost, albeit narrowly.

We are going to have to learn to play ugly. It's too early after one game for the knives to be out, let alone on the steel, but being the purist that he is, with a genuine love of football, I'm worried that he will fail/walk - bemoaning his own failings - rather than compromise on his beliefs about how the game should be played. The question pointed glaringly towards a Warnock or an Allardyce (type); the answer we have is a Mowbray. Time will tell if it's the right one...

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think its a few people to be fair. 

Anyway logging off before I say something I regret

Give over Chaddy.

Not the end of the world but lessons learnt - this aint gonna be the roll over many expected. Bury, Wigan, Bradford, three that I expect to be our main rivals, all won. At home next time out, hopefully get some more personnel in, and start to pick up some confidence.

There - thats kinda positive...right?

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, Batman. said:

I like him Tom but I'm not sure what gives you such confidence?

Last time in this league he failed badly.

I too am concerned he wants to pussy foot his way out of the league. Whether or not it's possible is yet to be seen...

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

As much as I like Mowbray and desperately want him to succeed, the jury is definitely out. That team today looked wrong from the start. He comes across a bit 'fantasy football manager' at times, talking formations and the like whilst failing to address the basics like defending. His job is to win games.

I'm in the same boat I desperately want him to do well and off the field he's been a breath of fresh air but as pointed out he has to get it right on the pitch.

The reason I say he's our best hope is that he's brought in a lot this summer and another manager may come in too late to bring in players he wanted and would have to make do.

Hes been backed to a degree this summer but the predicted fire sale would happen for sure if we don't escape this season, feels like now or never for me.

Over to you Tony 

• Moderation Lead

I'm honestly not bothered if Mowbray is a nice guy or not. I'm not auditioning for a future son in law (I don't have any children and he's older than me, but you get the point). If he wins games but is a complete goon, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Just now, K-Hod said:

I'm honestly not bothered if Mowbray is a nice guy or not. I'm not auditioning for a future son in law (I don't have any children and he's older than me, but you get the point). If he wins games but is a complete goon, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

That bald gimp won a few games :)

Just now, martonrover said:

But apparently decided to go with a long ball game, which was always unlikely to succeed.

No panic, but an early reality check to those with a ridiculous amount of over confidence, (on social media rather than here, I hasten to add).

Let's have a look after ten games. We need a reasonable start or that familiar sinking feeling will return on and off the pitch.

May at least strengthen the manager's position regarding further incoming transfers.

That's my point. I'd imagine Southend stopped us playing the way we want to play and Mowbray didn't have an answer (I didn't see it mind so could be talking shyte!).

I remember an interview with him last season where he stated he didn't like league 1 and the football that was played. He knew what was coming today.

Agree about the ten games. On paper today was one of the toughest games of the season. I'm pretty sure we'll even enjoy some comfortable wins over the season because we do have some good players. We need a Keeley or a Faz though if we're going to cope against the more physical sides on compact grounds, of which there will be many.

We need a win against Donny.

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

Can't argue with any of that, I think Mowbray is our best hope at bouncing back (to the league we should never have been relegated to in the first place - how sobering) but he has to get it right and will need to get it right soon.

We don't want to create mountains to climb, this league is tough but we have a squad that should be at the top end.

We all want Mowbray to succeed and he must be given time but, as was the case when he was appointed, I simply don't accept he is / was the best bet to reverse our decline.

Too many people are equating the fact that he's (without argument) a decent guy with winning football matches.

Appointing a guy who left his previous club at the foot of the division below was exactly the sort of decision which epitomises the madness of recent years.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

That's my point. I'd imagine Southend stopped us playing the way we want to play and Mowbray didn't have an answer (I didn't see it mind so could be talking shyte!).

I remember an interview with him last season where he stated he didn't like league 1 and the football that was played. He knew what was coming today.

Agree about the ten games. On paper today was one of the toughest games of the season. I'm pretty sure we'll even enjoy some comfortable wins over the season because we do have some good players. We need a Keeley or a Faz though if we're going to cope against the more physical sides on compact grounds, of which there will be many.

We need a win against Donny.

Agreed - i don't think possession football is going to cut it in league 1. Saying that - saouthend still had more possession anyway. Cant see us outplaying many teams as Southend have already shown how to deal with it. Get some wingers on the pitch, some burley strikers and Cb's and mix it with the best of them.

Yikes, that was dreadful.

Southend looked like they had an extra couple of players on the pitch, all up in our face the whole game. No time for any of our players. Will be interesting to see what will happen when we play at Ewood on a proper pitch.

Raya, must have been learning from Steele on how to lamp it into the stands at every opportunity.

Nyambe, I have got him wrong, not a footballer at all and stuck out like a sore thumb today. Get Caddis in asap. 

Lenihan was also shocking and no where near his man all game. Take the money.

Mulgrew looks knackered already, 1st game of the season. Showed no emotion and encouragement at all. Good goal.

Williams, poor.

Whittingham was okay, lack of pace very evident, not sure if he is up for a fight.

Smallwood, shocking, is up for a fight but little footballing skills. Poor signing on first showing.

Dack, could have got yanked at half time. In effective, and everything he tried didn't come off. Bullied.

Bennett, did okay I guess. Should have scored with a half volley in the first half.

Samuel, wow. Beating to the ball time and time again. Poor decision making. Looks like a born loser I'm afraid, no tracking back and very little effort on show.

Graham, maybe the worst of the lot. Looks like he has completely lost it. He lost every single header today, every one of them. Did nothing positive all game. If he is our main striker we have big problems.

Subs:

Evans, has to start over Smallwood. Did okay.

Chapman, looked lively. Get him on the left and Bennett on the right next week.

We missed Gladwin which is strange to say, but he showed some decent hold play in preseason.

Tony, you need to go out this week and get a striker and a Centre half. If you don't we will be nowhere near the playoffs this year.

Archived