SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Patrickvalery2 said:

A winger who can change a game. Unpredictable and able to run with the ball. Don't know if it ended on decent terms, but it would make a whole lot of sense to try for Mahoney in my humble opinion. Would prefer that reunion than the other one mentioned in recent days. 

Everyone hates Mahoney because he left but the impact he had whenever he played was immense.

8 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Everyone hates Mahoney because he left but the impact he had whenever he played was immense.

Immense? He was ineffective to the point where by the end of the season he didnt make the squad. Dont hate him by any stretch, quite indifferent to him but he isnt that good. Dont get Rovers fans desire to build a team of ex players.

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I don't know anyone who hates him. I certainly don't.  He had an impact when he came on but I wouldn't describe him as immense. More least he will have a go.

I hope Downing is on top of the other 2 offers as he's already here and would not be strengthening.    OK at this level.  Not sure he would cut it in the championship.   Only worth signing as he is less of a liability than Ward.  As somebody pointed out,  he would be free in summer.  We would also know whichleague we are in by then! 

As for Lowe, no thanks. Lowe may do a job in this league but it would be a groan fest watching him.  Mahoney I'm indifferent about.  He would add a bit of flair but may be bullied out of it at this level.  Would really like to see the Turkish lad brought in from Wallsall.  We need a game changer on the bench.  If he's cheap enough (I'm sure he's out of contract in summer) then he would be a great addition. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Can one of the experts here tell me why they don't think Downing would be good enough for the championship? I see it written here daily. Just seems like a lazy thing one or two wrote and others just parrot it now with no back up or context. Anyone? 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15807763.Rovers_looking_to_secure_a_permanent_deal_for_MK_Dons_defender_Paul_Downing/?ref=mac

Mowbray's not sure.

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Can one of the experts here tell me why they don't think Downing would be good enough for the championship? I see it written here daily. Just seems like a lazy thing one or two wrote and others just parrot it now with no back up or context. Anyone? 

He just looks distinctly average for this League, some players look distinctly average at every level they play at but it is quite unlikely. He makes some silly mistakes that will probably be punished at a higher level.

Just now, Swanson said:

http://the72.co.uk/96048/blackburn-rovers-set-complete-shock-move-bring-birmingham-city-midfielder-back/

"The return of Jason Lowe would be an exciting one for Rovers fans if they can pull it off"

Oh yes! I can hardly wait...

When you see phrases like that and “He went onto play over 150 games for Rovers and became a popular player amongst fans.” you have to wonder about their fact checking. 

It rather diminishes their credibility.

I wont be revisiting their site in a rush.

• Backroom

Downing is 26, never played above League One and is currently on loan to us because he couldn't get into MK Dons first eleven. Plenty of reason to think he'd struggle in the league above if we got promoted. In fairness I don't think Williams, Nyambe, Ward or Caddis are much good either, but if Bolton can put up a fight in the Championship we probably could as well. I'd still tip us to come straight back down without some serious defensive reinforcements.

2 minutes ago, Swanson said:

http://the72.co.uk/96048/blackburn-rovers-set-complete-shock-move-bring-birmingham-city-midfielder-back/

"The return of Jason Lowe would be an exciting one for Rovers fans if they can pull it off"

Shock move? No other team wanted him when he was on a free transfer (even though a couple on here assured us he'd be going to a Premier League club...) and Birmingham have sussed him out after a few months, so who else would he move back to but the team who were daft enough to pay him a king's ransom for five plus years? 

Just now, Swanson said:

Whomever wrote that just undermined the credibility of the whole “article”. Looks like Jason is utterly desperate and his only hope is that Rovers take him back.

Our style of play has improved massively this season and we are at the right end of the table. The trouble is he is only 26 (if we can believe a single word of that link) so this one will come up time after time after time.

Nobody else wants him. How on earth can he be a potentially good signing for Rovers and no one else.

#pisstake

11 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Graham is a far better footballer than Rhodes. Due to his advancing years, however, he has become about as mobile as Rhodes was/is in his pomp.  

Both excellent finishers if provided with the right service.

Which is why Graham is playing league one and struggling whilst Rhodes is in a league higher having not been relegated but in a play off and bit player in the premier league.

righteo.

Just now, Stuart said:

Any respect I have for Mowbray will disappear if he signs Lowe.

He will wipe out whatever good will and standing he has acquired with 90% of Rovers fans in the last twelves months in one fell swoop ! When I read " Mowbray was chasing him " I thought " He won't have to run very fast to catch him ! ".

Just now, USABlue said:

Not really and true remember Graham managed to play and make something of himself in the Prem Rhodes not so much.

I think the £8m we paid ultimately led to Rhodes’ downfall. It put him in a bracket that made him unaffordable for your average Championship club. He contributed to 2 different teams being promoted but the requirements of the PL are of a much stronger striker physically. He would do well to work with Big Sam and bulk up a bit, maybe change his game so that he can hold the ball up better. Personally I think he would be better dropping down a division and enjoying his football again but nobody there can afford him.

Interesting that people keep saying Graham is a better striker. His career doesn’t demonstrate that. He took a while to get going and had one big money move to Swansea but even that didn’t work out well. He’s head and shoulders above most in this league but in reality is a bit of a journeyman who has had a few purple patches throughout his career. We got Rhodes on his way up, mostly in great form. We got Graham on the way down.

Both good players in their own right. Under Lambert I was looking forward to seeing them play together but it never happened.

Archived