BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

At the end of the day the argument is simple: if Kent arrives instead of Maddison then it is obvious we missed out on plan a and went to the plan b. Although, seemingly, Kent isn't even plan b now but is plan c based on Sharpe's tweet.

Ryan Kent may have/may do turn out to be a good player but there is absolutely no logic in the world whatsoever that dictates he would be a better acquisition than a player that has proven over the space of 3 years he can set up and score goals. I don't care who watches LFCTV or watches U23 matches the records speak for themselves.

This has to be the end of it. If we end up with Kent then ok, we've got a decent player and I hope he does well but he's by no means our first choice. That in itself speaks volumes.

who ever said he is a target? not ever seen a link at all. 

So please explain how we miss out on plan A? 

Chaddy, dack has no championship experience. If someone bought dack for 2.5 million would you say they got a good deal? I certainly would. I'm pretty sure Maddison got more goal contributions last season than Dack in a worse team.

Im not saying Maddison is better than dack but I'm just putting that in perspective. 

Fair enough you rate Kent, but I think I speak for many people on here that they would much rather the permananent signing of Maddison than kent and it would be excellent business if we could pull it off.

Edited by TruRover
  • Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We are looking at 2 loans deal and 2 more permanent signings so I don't see the problem or your negativity towards have 2 good loans if these are Kent and Gallagher. Newcastle need to sell before they buy so I would look to strike a deal for Armstrong as soon as possible. around 1 to 1.5 million pounds bid so be enough to secure a deal. But I don't know what his wages are either. 

would I say 2.5 million pounds is a good deal for Maddison? not really for me. No Championship experience. 

A good deal only becomes good in time. £2.5 million for Maddison might be a waste if he doesn't perform, but likewise if he does it might be an outstanding investment. Its a risk you have to take in football. If you don't want to take risks then you rarely get the rewards. If he comes in and excels in the Championship his value could quadruple over the next few years. Alternatively he might be the catalyst to us climbing the Championship and getting into promotion contention.

Usually I would agree that no Championship experience could be a concern, but when you stand out massively in League One as Maddision, Marriott, Dack, Rhodes etc. did then you get your move up sooner or later.

Everyone said Rhodes was poor value for money and a waste. Yet time proved he wasn't and we actually even made a profit on him which most said could never happen.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Rich Sharpe thinks Kent may not be the first target:

‘believe there's someone ahead of Kent atm, should be bit of info tomorrow’

Maddison. Has to be. Announced tomorrow and unveiled at the game. Get your hopes up everyone. There is no way this isn't happening!! 

All joking aside, Sharp is always pretty coy until something is confirmed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the bit of info is an actual signing. 

• Like 1

Pleased for Wharton. Convinced that there's a long term future for him here, even if this season is at least 12 months too soon for him to be playing a consistent first team role.

If we're determined to play 3 at the back this year, then it might be worth keeping him around the squad, but hopefully he can get 1st team football at a good league 1 club next year. 

Just now, Tugay's Right Foot said:

How about Wharton stays and we forget about 2 million pounds Bauer?

I agree with this. Seems a waste to spend some of our budget (if we have one) on a 'backup' player when we already have a ready made back up player in Wharton. Especially when we need to improve starting positions in the squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Ruaney said:

I agree with this. Seems a waste to spend some of our budget (if we have one) on a 'backup' player when we already have a ready made back up player in Wharton. Especially when we need to improve starting positions in the squad.

Yes, I think the areas that need to be looked at first would be both wings and up front. Conway can be a mentor but not a starter imho

For a great example of good League 1 winger turned top end Championship regular last season, see Nathaniel Mendez-Laing. Probably performed as well for Rochdale as Maddison has for Peterborough, then moved to Cardiff and took to the Championship well.

Yeah, completely agree. Maddison, Chapman and then Kent in that order (if they are our only targets). Preferably two of.

Armstrong would be a good addition up top but yet to see another rumour that would fill me with excitement up front!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

How about Wharton stays and we forget about 2 million pounds Bauer?

Not saying we should loan him out but I thought I read an interview where Mogga said Wharton had been tested at league 2 and now needs to try League one? 

Could be wrong though.

55 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

At the end of the day the argument is simple: if Kent arrives instead of Maddison then it is obvious we missed out on plan a and went to the plan b. Although, seemingly, Kent isn't even plan b now but is plan c based on Sharpe's tweet.

Ryan Kent may have/may do turn out to be a good player but there is absolutely no logic in the world whatsoever that dictates he would be a better acquisition than a player that has proven over the space of 3 years he can set up and score goals. I don't care who watches LFCTV or watches U23 matches the records speak for themselves.

This has to be the end of it. If we end up with Kent then ok, we've got a decent player and I hope he does well but he's by no means our first choice. That in itself speaks volumes.

The Maddison link is by us fans...No stories in the press linking us. Nothing coming out of the club linking us.

Don't get me wrong I hope Maddison is a target and I hope we do sign him but you can't say Mowbray lost out on his plan a target If we don't sign him as none of us know if he is a player that Mowbray wants

Signing Maddison would instantly take it from a fairly poor window to a good one. IMO he will be worth north of £10million within 18 months if he avoids injuries. He has vision and creativity that we severely miss. Kent may turn out great but we would only have him for a year and the better he performs the less likely he stays beyond this season. If he is signed on loan in addition to Maddison I'd be happy with that. Striker wise I'd be looking at 2 from Amstrong/Harrison/Gallagher or others not yet mentioned eg hidden gems like Gestede a few years ago.

Edited by robbojohnno
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Not saying we should loan him out but I thought I read an interview where Mogga said Wharton had been tested at league 2 and now needs to try League one? 

Could be wrong though.

In two minds too. Could be worth a try in a few games at this level and see how it goes. Never try never know

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Can somebody bring me up to date. Is there one scintilla of evidence that we are even interested in Maddison ?

Nope

Just done a quick goggle and twitter search and nothing come up with link or reporter linking us with us. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
Add more comment
  • Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

There isn't any evidence we will be signing Kent either tho Chaddy.Nixon says he is number 1 target...Sharpe says he isn't. So 1 of them is wrong.Or both of them don't have a clue like the rest of us 

True

• Like 1

Chaddy. Do you honestly feel that Kent is a better player than Maddison, at this point in time, taking money completely out of the equation?

Please don't rehash why you rate Kent, I've seen every single point you've made about him. If you have something new to add, feel free, but otherwise I'm just asking for a yes or no answer.

I'm also curious if there is a reason you don't rate Maddison, apart from that he hasn't played in the Championship? Again, without considering the finances at all, and without comparing to Kent (let's assume Kent went elsewhere). Also, have you seen much of him? I will freely admit myself I haven't seen him, or if I did I don't remember.

• Backroom

Rich says the link isn’t Maddison and isn’t anything to get too excited over - so not Chapman either.

Sounds like a loan

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Can somebody bring me up to date. Is there one scintilla of evidence that we are even slightly interested in Maddison ?

No 'evidence', no. The only reasons he is being discussed so much is because the Peterborough chairman is answering questions about him from fans of every single club except ours (and we know the clubs likes to keep its business under wraps these days), and because whoever is in for him is trying to pay in installments, which sounds like us.