BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Williams in my view could be a decent centre back for us, he's also a good option off the bench and would suit as a 3rd centre back. I don't particularly rate him at left back, then again Bell hasn't really nailed down that spot when he's had the chance and in some ways has regressed. In some ways Bell is a bit of an enigma and he's not quite the player I expected we would sign, i'd give him chance till the end of the season to nail that spot down, as i've seen enough off Williams to know he's not good enough (although a steady performer) for a promotion chasing team.

Your spot on when you say the next evolution of this team is to more of a passing team and away from being a long ball team. I think we have the centre backs who are good on the ball its then about getting the more technical players in the team. Signing Reed on a permanent would be massive for us, he has the hardworking ethos but also has that touch of quality. I can't see Rothwell playing Centre Mid regularly as he's not disciplined enough to do it and it may stifle his natural instinct to go at people, maybe if we played 3 centre mids. Bennett has done well most times he's played centre mid but I don't think you'd want him as first choice in there. Davenport could end up being that player for us, but we won't know till he gets fit and gets a run of games. We are in a situation where as it stands our Centre mid options next season are: Smallwood, Bennett, Davenport, Rothwell(at a push) but I think centre mid can wait until the summer. 

The other part of that evolution is who the main striker will be next season, Armstrong, Brereton or someone new cause obviously that will affect our build up play and how Dack plays whether its more of a second striker as he is now or as a more of a playmaking no.10.

I feel more comfortable with Williams at left back personally, especially in terms of Bell's inadequacies, but the main point is that Williams can not cover both positions if needed simultaneously and I feel we do need an additional body there. If you felt like Williams was more likely to play as a centre back then maybe it would be worth bringing in an upgrade on Bell rather than the centre back I would prefer?

Agreed on Rothwell, his natural talent lies in taking people on etc, something he cant really do playing deep. It has to be evolution as you say rather than revolution, we dont want to totally lose the tenacity and hard work that a midfield containing all 3 of Smallwood, Evans and Bennett gives us, but we need to look at just adding that bit of technical ability, whether it be by playing Reed more centrally, or playing Rodwell, to give us more when we are on the ball, and also allow us to play through the lines better to get Dack more involved. Considering some of the technical players we have, especially in the last third, it doesnt suit us to play long ball.

44 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I (think) I more or less admitted in an earlier post I'd possibly feel different if the shoe were on the other foot, but it ain't. We've lost a half season (if we recall him) of development for a lad we fully expected, and were probably told, would be a regular starter and had the option of this bit part role (or better) at a higher level. Not saying they should be obliged to play him if he isn't one of the best two centre halves they have, but I feel we and Scott have been missold on this.

Chelsea probably do have the same complaints, and rightly so. They will probably recall him. We have given Kasey opportunities in a fair few more games though.

Definitely would concur that we should bring him back in Jan and loan him elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, rigger said:

I cannot see why. He is not strong in the air or on the ground. Defensively his positioning is poor. He does not seem to have a great turn of speed, or if he does he doesn't use it. He does not see short forward passes. He does not seem to be able to hit a long pass, or if he can, again he doesn't use it. Going forward he cannot seem to take on his opponent. He tends to turn inside whenever he attacks, to lay the ball off square or backwards. It is far less dangerous to loose the ball taking a defender on the outside than if you turn in-field and loose it. After all that,  I hope that he proves me wrong. 

Agreed. Specifying home games was a particular curiosity to me, when he is so toothless going forward.

7 hours ago, Nesnajttam said:

Mowbray.. Bradley Dack going nowhere in January..

But..

If he goes for 25m, TM hopes for a significant wedge of that to purchase 2 or 3 players..

?

LT article mentions the first part, no sign of the second part. Mentioned in the meeting was it?

32 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

If that was true you'd hope Rovers made bids and signing before selling him to keep fees reasonable. Once teams know you'll spend they charge double the rate.

Not really possible to hide that you're going for a Dack replacement though. You'd probably be looking to spend 4 million upwards to get someone even remotely filling the gap (not that they'd be as good), and if we started looking for someone in his position at that money, it'd be obvious what was happening.

Other positions though, sure.

7 hours ago, Nesnajttam said:

Mowbray.. Bradley Dack going nowhere in January..

But..

If he goes for 25m, TM hopes for a significant wedge of that to purchase 2 or 3 players..

?

So he's definitely not going anywhere in January. But IF he goes for £25 million then Mowbray HOPES a SIGNIFICANT wedge of that will go on new players.

Likewise Mowbray HOPES Dack doesn't come to him and tell him he wants to leave.

Doesn't really get us much further does it? If an offer of £18 million comes in and Dack wants to go there's little chance of Rovers holding out for £25 million, and even less chance that most of that money would be reinvested straight back into the team.

Anyhow, the frenzy is now in full swing as January approaches.

Why do I get the impression it suits Mowbray and Waggott for this circus to be in town for the next 6-10 weeks?

Just now, bluebruce said:

LT article mentions the first part, no sign of the second part. Mentioned in the meeting was it?

"We bought him for 750k, if we sell him for £25m I'd hope I get a good chunk of that to spend on two or three players." 7.20pm

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17242330.live-blackburn-rovers-supporters-consultation-meeting/?ref=mac

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

"We bought him for 750k, if we sell him for £25m I'd hope I get a good chunk of that to spend on two or three players." 7.20pm

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17242330.live-blackburn-rovers-supporters-consultation-meeting/?ref=mac

Cheers, I hadn't read that one, as it said it was a live thing so I figured there'd be too much for me to be arsed reading through. Interesting they didn't add that to the Dack article.

Mogga on Dack:-

"My belief is that he owes us something back in the short-term. In the mid-term we have to give him a team that he can keep producing in."

I think that is fair comment. Rovers took a gamble on Dack when nobody else would. Whether it works like that in Dack's head if we get a big bid for him in January is another matter...

• Like 1

Hate but understand when our better players start getting links away, they remain until the inevitable. See Bentley, Santa Cruz, Shearer, Bellamy, Rhodes. It does start to give you a feeling like they do owe us and how dare they think of wanting away, but dack has said he is happy here and not showed anything to suggest he wants away so let’s not get the carving knifes out for him 

23 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On a new deal for Evans 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17239131.rovers-fans-jury-on-a-potential-new-deal-for-corry-evans/?ref=mac 

The last line from that Tom guy is interesting. I would say that is the last place we need to worry about 

I would be happy to see him sign a new deal, but do feel that the middle of midfield is a place we need to strengthen, if we are to view ourselves as play-off chasers in the coming seasons.

I would agree with that. Maybe Smallwood or Evans but not together. We need more creativity than both of them together. Rodwell looks class there and if I were the manager that's where I would play him, but I am not so Reed is fine.  Ideally I'd play Reed and Rodwell. 

We are well off in central mid if we pick the right ones.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Hate but understand when our better players start getting links away, they remain until the inevitable. See Bentley, Santa Cruz, Shearer, Bellamy, Rhodes. It does start to give you a feeling like they do owe us and how dare they think of wanting away, but dack has said he is happy here and not showed anything to suggest he wants away so let’s not get the carving knifes out for him 

With football the way it is these days, there is no point in signing any player with any expectation that they will be here for the long term. Certainly for a club in a position like us. 

We signed Dack and he did the business in League One, he's bagged enough goals so that clubs are still keeping tabs on him so links will be inevitable. If he keeps going as he is, it's likely he'll be gone in the summer. Shame but that's football these days.

No point in getting the knives out, just accept that he's likely to be off sooner rather than later.

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I feel more comfortable with Williams at left back personally, especially in terms of Bell's inadequacies, but the main point is that Williams can not cover both positions if needed simultaneously and I feel we do need an additional body there. If you felt like Williams was more likely to play as a centre back then maybe it would be worth bringing in an upgrade on Bell rather than the centre back I would prefer?

Agreed on Rothwell, his natural talent lies in taking people on etc, something he cant really do playing deep. It has to be evolution as you say rather than revolution, we dont want to totally lose the tenacity and hard work that a midfield containing all 3 of Smallwood, Evans and Bennett gives us, but we need to look at just adding that bit of technical ability, whether it be by playing Reed more centrally, or playing Rodwell, to give us more when we are on the ball, and also allow us to play through the lines better to get Dack more involved. Considering some of the technical players we have, especially in the last third, it doesnt suit us to play long ball.

I wouldn't be looking to sign another left back in this window no. As currently stands we have Lenihan, Mulgrew, Rodwell (all fairly injury prone), Downing (maybe to be replaced by Bauer or even a recalled Wharton) I think thats enough bodies at centre back, If Williams has to moved to left back to replace an injured or badly lacking form Bell then we've got enough players at centre back. Rodwell can't hack 90 mins in centre mid so I don't think he should be considered to start there, we can't have 2 players in the 1st 11 who aren't good for 90 mins, I think you could use him there off the bench to see games out and help us retain possession better. Only thing Mowbray should be thinking for me is how to we evolve to play through the lines more.

On 21/11/2018 at 19:25, Swanson said:

I hope that we might take a look at young Alexander Sørloth at Crystal Palace, currently 4th choice there. He has said himself that he might leave in january. 

Only 22 years, but big and strong (194cm), not that slow either.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opdKr0NTXX4

Think that he might be a good fit for the Championship.

I've been thinking the same for a while. Ticks a lot of boxes. Big strong target man, looked like an ok finisher prior to his palace move, mobile enough and young. Palace signed him for 9 million and I could imagine they'd be quite tempted by a loan with a view to buy given how little playing time they've given him.

He's not done much at palace so o could easily see them letting him go yet he has been in and around the first team suggesting he does have something about him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I've been thinking the same for a while. Ticks a lot of boxes. Big strong target man, looked like an ok finisher prior to his palace move, mobile enough and young. Palace signed him for 9 million and I could imagine they'd be quite tempted by a loan with a view to buy given how little playing time they've given him.

He's not done much at palace so o could easily see them letting him go yet he has been in and around the first team suggesting he does have something about him.

Coincidentally I actually thought of a loan for Sorloth the other day after I read an interview on him and how he struggled in Holland. Looks a lot better than the danish lad Cornelius signed by Cardiff under Mackay. Palace needs goals he’s not ready to do it in the PL so could be win win to deal a loan with Woy.

Id swap Bell for Knudsen at Ipswich, out of contract in the summer, jack hammer of a long throw, broken into danish team. Keep Williams as central and left back cover, ship out Downing and bring in Bauer. Each game is 3 points, we’d kick our selves if we were 3points short end of the season of the play offs because we had another makeshift defence.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I wouldn't start thinking about plans involving Dack for next season. I'd be astonished if he is still with us by then (past the summer windows anyway) unless we get promoted.

I think thats a fair point. January could be a good indicator, we've said we won't sell in January at any price so what people offer for him in January is what we could be selling him for in the summer. It could that nobody matches his valuation in the summer.

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Not really possible to hide that you're going for a Dack replacement though. You'd probably be looking to spend 4 million upwards to get someone even remotely filling the gap (not that they'd be as good), and if we started looking for someone in his position at that money, it'd be obvious what was happening.

Other positions though, sure.

You do have to wonder if you sign a direct replacement. The team formation could change, or the overall squad could be improved to supplement his loss as I do think he will leave in the summer unless he gets an injury.

25M could definitely be used to strengthen 4-5 positions permanently but wages would also need to be taken into account so it's a balancing act I suppose. I would expect around 15M-20M to be made available though if he did go. 

Mowbray likes to play 4 2 3 1, in his mind thats his ideal formation, with the 4 up top acting as 4 strikers in effect, so goals never drout and the opposition doest know were the next goal is coming from, with that in mind we would ideally like 2 in every position.

GK: Raya, Leutwiler

LB: Nyambe, ?

CM: Reed, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett

RM Rothwell, Brereton

AM: Dack Palmer

LM: Armstrong, ?

ST: Graham, ?

Were a bit light at lb, lm and st, i dont think well manage to get all three in Jan but if we can atleast get a left back to act as competition for Nyambe so bennett can be used further upfield id be happy, if we get chapman as well thatd be a great window

I suspect we've already got Dack's replacement. Look at the summer signings....we know that Bereton can't play the Graham role so looks better suited in the No.10 role. It is also clear that Rothwell is not been bought to fill a centre midfield spot so that leaves wide or Dack's position. Similarly we've brought Palmer in who prefers to play centrally. 

I suspect Mowbray was suspecting more interest in Dack during the summer or is getting ready for Jan or next summer. 

7 hours ago, adz4d2 said:

Mowbray likes to play 4 2 3 1, in his mind thats his ideal formation, with the 4 up top acting as 4 strikers in effect, so goals never drout and the opposition doest know were the next goal is coming from, with that in mind we would ideally like 2 in every position.

GK: Raya, Leutwiler

LB: Nyambe, ?

CM: Reed, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett

RM Rothwell, Brereton

AM: Dack Palmer

LM: Armstrong, ?

ST: Graham, ?

Were a bit light at lb, lm and st, i dont think well manage to get all three in Jan but if we can atleast get a left back to act as competition for Nyambe so bennett can be used further upfield id be happy, if we get chapman as well thatd be a great window

Have you been watching Rovers in a mirror? Nyambe is a right back not a LB. Rothwell has tended to play LM when he has played with Armstrong switching to the right. You've no mention of RB so I presuming Bell and Williams will feature there. Personally I can't see full backs playing on the wrong side catching on.?

Also Palmer when he has played has tended to feature RM although grant you his prefered position is AM. Bennett I agree CM is his best postion but mainly played RM.

• Like 1