BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

38 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17610000.mowbray-aims-to-have-a-more-technical-rovers-midfield/

Wonder what Tony's idea of Technical mean? Evans & Smallwood?

His comment don't make sense.

Patient...Just be Patient 

I think it’s pretty clear. Damning but clear. He’s saying that the current crop of CM’s is not fit for purpose with his new progressive style. He basically writes Rodwell off saying he needed a footballer in CM and preferred to play Rothwell out of position than keep Rodwell on ?...

In fact I’d go as far to say that he’s writing them all off bar Travis. And even he is put in his place in relation to where he is in his development. Furthermore Mowbray talks about midfielderS (plural) ...maybe he’s looking at buying two? 

Mustve gone looking at CM’s last week?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

The fact this thread is @ 45 pages, and it's not even the end of the season yet let alone the transfer window, bodes well for a 200+ page summer with some fantastic meltdowns thrown in. 

I'm going to follow the Cricket, not read Mowbray and have a pleasant Summer. Probably my last contribution to this particular thread.:rover:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Biz said:

I doubt this is true.

It's not, I don't think it has plummeted either. In fact quite a few made the argument that it was tosh.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I'm going to follow the Cricket, not read Mowbray and have a pleasant Summer. Probably my last contribution to this particular thread.:rover:

Since we've been turned to shit by Venkys the summer transfer windows have become a source of amusement for me, both in terms of the players we buy/are linked with and reading people losing their shit on here.

Back in the day I used to be angry/nervous/excited all at once every summer, buying the likes of Bellamy, Roque etc missing out on Lewandowski... it's hard to give a f8ck these days when you're buying Ben Gladwin and missing out on some clown you've never heard of.

Never fear though, our Tone has discovered Europe exists at the same time as realising Evans & Smallwood are utter dogshit, an exciting summer surely awaits us. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Have absolutely no idea how you got this from the article you linked.

He specifically says we have a midfield that just tackles and presses and that he wants more - he intends to sign players who are more comfortable on the ball.

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Have absolutely no idea how you got this from the article you linked.

He specifically says we have a midfield that just tackles and presses and that he wants more - he intends to sign players who are more comfortable on the ball.

People just see what they want to see...i agree entirely with you. Unfathomable really. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17610000.mowbray-aims-to-have-a-more-technical-rovers-midfield/

His comment don't make sense.

Patient...Just be Patient 

No, because the article specifically says our midfielders aren't technical enough.

Did you even read the article? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think it’s pretty clear. Damning but clear. He’s saying that the current crop of CM’s is not fit for purpose with his new progressive style. He basically writes Rodwell off saying he needed a footballer in CM and preferred to play Rothwell out of position than keep Rodwell on ?...

In fact I’d go as far to say that he’s writing them all off bar Travis. And even he is put in his place in relation to where he is in his development. Furthermore Mowbray talks about midfielderS (plural) ...maybe he’s looking at buying two? 

He had a quality central midfielder here this season, only he chose to play him out wide that majority of the time. And if he's writing them all off bar Travis then it wasn't very sensible to within the last year have given new extended contracts to Evans and Smallwood.

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

He had a quality central midfielder here this season, only he chose to play him out wide that majority of the time. And if he's writing them all off bar Travis then it wasn't very sensible to within the last year have given new extended contracts to Evans and Smallwood.

I think Evans and even Smallwood are useful squad players. Not every game is the same. Sometimes we will need lads to do the dirty work. 

Valid point on Reed though! 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think Evans and even Smallwood are useful squad players. Not every game is the same. Sometimes we will need lads to do the dirty work. 

Smallwood isn't good enough for the Championship. Evans can be a good player but we only seem to see it when he needs a new contract.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rigger said:

Have you watched his performances, rather than his stats

Yes. I have watched his performances. I like to watch Dack on the following premise:

Pretend you've never seen him before. It's his first game and he's a new signing. At the end think, is he good? For under a million pounds is he worth it?

I am yet to come to the conclusion that he wasn't, after any game, after any "bad" performance. And that's after watching every home game and half our away games in person. For me, anyone who could truly use that method and come to the conclusion after games that he wasn't worth it is just cynical.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Smallwood isn't good enough for the Championship. Evans can be a good player but we only seem to see it when he needs a new contract.

Evans just as bad as Smallwood at this level. He's not got the physical presence to play as a defensive midfielder, and he doesn't have the technical ability to play with the ball further up the field either. Both are League One players for me.

17 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I reckon the new deals were promised as a promotion bonus/incentive so to be fair he's only being a man of his word there.

Can't help but agree on Reed though but then again i'm assuming he knew there'd be no long term future here for that lad as we just can't afford him or he won't push the owners for that kind of ready made big wage signing. Therefore he's just here as back up to our own contracted players and being a good player he's expected to slot in anywhere and contribute. This is the problem with loans who are signed without an option to buy and are just here because they have some pedigree and the parent club is generous with the wages because they want them getting mins somewhere whatever the position.

Tony won't upset the status quo over a full season for such a player but his presence is supposed to spur the others on that's how he seems to work.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Evans just as bad as Smallwood at this level. He's not got the physical presence to play as a defensive midfielder, and he doesn't have the technical ability to play with the ball further up the field either. Both are League One players for me.

I'd say Evans is a lot better than Smallwood, early season Evans was playing excellent and a key part to our good start. Sadly not for the first time in his Rovers career his performances went down hill after signing a new contract.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Would rather have 11 Richie Smallwood's than 11 Corry Evans.

Feckless as well as shite.

Just imagine 11 Richie Smallwoods ?

• Like 2

Just now, neophox said:

Marcus Maddison and Patrick Bauer may be Rovers targets.

I'd say Patrick Bauer is all but confirmed really. That'll be free, and I can imagine that to start with, he'll play second fiddle to either another CB signing, or Derrick Williams, alongside Darragh Lenihan.

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It is somewhat encouraging but wouldnt you agree its also incredibly damning of the situation we are in now on the back of Mowbrays blind loyalty.

The 2 main players that we are seemingly looking to move on from are Evans and Smallwood, id put Bennett in the same category too, all of which could have been moved on for free in the summer had Mowbray not "rewarded" them with new deals. Evans I think may be ok as a squad player, no more, the other 2 not even that.

As has been pointed out, he had Reed this season and publically stated that his progressive style was what prevented him from being picked in central midfield, over less effective and less progressive alternatives. Mowbray saw that side of Reed as a negative in that position.

2 id like to see us move for are Will Vaulks and Joe Aribo.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Disagree with that mentality, doing the dirty work is not enough. For example, you would argue that Travis, Smallwood and Bennett are all equally combative, hard working grafters. Travis is far better in general, especially on the ball however, and with plenty of room to grow. Ultimately, you would never pick Smallwood for example over Travis "to do the dirty work" because that alone is not enough, as Travis has proved.

• Like 1