Jump to content
J*B

Sam Gallagher Returns

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Amo said:

“He has to learn the way we play"

We have a way we play?

He means he has to control a ball thumped at him, at height, on the wing, beat 2 defenders and get a cross in for someone who isn't there.

Oh, and get back to defend when his cross is thumped up-field. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible player and more cobbles wallop from the guy who signed him ... 

assets and projects !! Beggars belief ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont understand all this nonsense about him getting used to a new style. So is everyone else, seeing as Mowbray claims to have started it this season. That being said, I dont see a strong identity especially in an attacking sense anyway.

There has to be big pressure on him. All 5m that we spent on transfer budget went on him, as well as high wages. Hes 24, hes got over 2 full seasons worth of Championship experience including one 

You look at the 3 teams that went up last season and they all had a 20 plus goal striker. I didnt want Gallagher in the first place and from what Ive seen so fae this season he will struggle to get to double figures. Im not saying that Mowbray picks the correct team and tactics to provide a consistent supply line but a striker that never gets chances suggests issues with his movement and anticipation. He needs to improve and start scoring ASAP for us to achieve our objectives as many of our other signings have proved shrewd additions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont understand all this nonsense about him getting used to a new style. So is everyone else, seeing as Mowbray claims to have started it this season. That being said, I dont see a strong identity especially in an attacking sense anyway.

There has to be big pressure on him. All 5m that we spent on transfer budget went on him, as well as high wages. Hes 24, hes got over 2 full seasons worth of Championship experience including one 

You look at the 3 teams that went up last season and they all had a 20 plus goal striker. I didnt want Gallagher in the first place and from what Ive seen so fae this season he will struggle to get to double figures. Im not saying that Mowbray picks the correct team and tactics to provide a consistent supply line but a striker that never gets chances suggests issues with his movement and anticipation. He needs to improve and start scoring ASAP for us to achieve our objectives as many of our other signings have proved shrewd additions.

cos Gallagher is probably used to playing different in his footballing career and playing the way Mowbray wants him to is taking time. 

I have seen a change of style since start of the season as the stats would back this up aswell. 

How many chances as Gallagher actually had whilst on the pitch? How many chances have we actually created for our strikers whoever has played up front? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I have seen a change of style since start of the season as the stats would back this up aswell.

You sound like Tony’s spin doctor, my eyes have seen very little in terms of new playing style.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why our style only really suits an experienced genuine target man / poacher so why oh why has he not sourced something similar to that.

He's been obsessed with wide strikers and it looked like he'd finally got one who would do the graft required in Gallagher even if there wasn't an end product, he's a tall centre fwd after all.   Now he's talking about him replacing Graham yet at the same time changing style, surely he should sign players to fit the style or play a style or formation that suits what he now has, he does neither.

When you are wanting to play Dack off someone and bring others into play also you need a good target man. If you are playing a tighter system without flair and don't create much whilst hoping for clean sheets you need a poacher who can snaffle the odd chance and also set piece specialists who can weigh in, again which is it here ?  

Neither it just seems mix and match, look to stop the opposition and pray it clicks or your better players just pull something out the bag.

Preferably in a strong squad looking for a tilt at the top 6 you'd need a bit of everything up front.  Aside from DG we now seem to have 3 other 'strikers' set to play wide who are almost identical. Gally, Samuel and BB, tallish but gangly not strong and no real goal scoring pedigree or look capable of being target men either.

That's at a cost of a cool 13 millionish and probably anywhere from 30 to 40k pwk combined.

Remind us about building a team again....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's not helping himself or the team by being farmed out wide. 

When we signed him, I thought he was basically going to be replacing Graham over the course of the season.

We should be playing the likes of Rothwell and Chapman out wide and integrating them into the role and getting them to understand "how we play" not Gallagher.

Seems like a fruitless exercise all round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ten years ago when DG was a similar age he was banging goals in regularly for Carlisle then Watford so he had some pedigree for it.  He's only become a good target man here in the last few years as he's aged and tailored his game to it alongside developing that understanding with Dack.

Gallagher - and i like him - doesn't have that pedigree nor one as a target man he's done his best work at this level in his loan here a few years ago in a combo of wide striker ( not winger ) and up top.

I fail to see any correlation as to why you'd pay big money for him with the intention of him replacing Graham right now.  He's another who the manager is now fashioning the excuse of developing for a role yet not actually doing anything to develop him for that role.

I'm sure in the medium term this lad can offer something but not in the present formation if he's going to be a main man things will have to be tailored to get the best out of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If SGs been bought to replace DG, why oh why does he not get played in that position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the gaffer is talking shite SG was probably brought in because he was known to the club and manger and they like him, he ticks a certain amount of boxes on and off the field, has the right agent and his price suddenly became affordable.

Now they are trying to figure out what is best to do with him, classic Venky era Rovers transfer policy and classic TM approach to the forward lines.

The shoehorn system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Aside from DG we now seem to have 3 other 'strikers' set to play wide who are almost identical. Gally, Samuel and BB, tallish but gangly not strong and no real goal scoring pedigree or look capable of being target men either.

 

4 with Armstrong? We have 5 strikers and only DG can be relied on!

Its beyond pathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 47er said:

4 with Armstrong? We have 5 strikers and only DG can be relied on!

Its beyond pathetic.

What are you on about? 

Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher and Samuel are all incredibly reliable and the stats prove it! 

They're just reliable at not scoring, as opposed to scoring. 

Hehe. 

I just read the article with TM and despite the time, I am rather confused by what he says. 

Gally is suffering as he hasn't played enough in the last few years as a striker. Surely if that is the case then you play him as a striker and persevere. A striker is a finisher of moves and opportunities first and foremost. And yet he is playing on the wing, where primarily you create said chances for the strikers. Perhaps his time out wide is why he squares the ball when he should really shoot? 

Edited by Dr X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 47er said:

4 with Armstrong? We have 5 strikers and only DG can be relied on!

Its beyond pathetic.

I didn't chuck him in because he's a bit different being smaller and a bit quicker he is actually one who fits what Mowbray tries to do simply because stuck wide he can knock it past people and he does cut inside and get goals.

At 1.75 rising to maybe 3 mill personally i thought he was a decent buy no massive risk and there was a bit of thought behind it because they'd already had a look at him. If we'd bought Brereton for similar it wouldn't seem as crazy.

The fixation with Samuel is odd though but predictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tomphil said:

Project stay in the job.

Comments like we are a work in progress are aimed at the owners, not us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought Sam was immense yesterday. Ran himself into the ground and a big part in our victory by hurrying Bristol into repeated mistakes.

Starting to look like an astute acquisition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, philipl said:

Thought Sam was immense yesterday. Ran himself into the ground and a big part in our victory by hurrying Bristol into repeated mistakes.

Starting to look like an astute acquisition.

I was a critic Phil. I thought he was a bit of a lightweight previously who also wasn't a natural goalscorer. From what I see and read he's putting himself about a bit now. He's a big lad who can gallop. If he can learn how to use his size he'll be an asset. I liked how he brushed that Derby player aside like he was a school boy out on the wing before setting up a chance for Armstrong last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, philipl said:

Thought Sam was immense yesterday. Ran himself into the ground and a big part in our victory by hurrying Bristol into repeated mistakes.

Starting to look like an astute acquisition.

He definitely had one of his better games yesterday, plenty of selfless running.

I am not sure at all that you can describe him as an "astute acquisition" yet though personally, we spent a decent chunk of money on him, yet in 15 starts and 2 sub appearances, he has only scored 2 goals. He has more often than not been ineffective.

One thing I would say is there seems to be a lot more there compared to our other big money striker signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He definitely had one of his better games yesterday, plenty of selfless running.

I am not sure at all that you can describe him as an "astute acquisition" yet though personally, we spent a decent chunk of money on him, yet in 15 starts and 2 sub appearances, he has only scored 2 goals. He has more often than not been ineffective.

One thing I would say is there seems to be a lot more there compared to our other big money striker signing.

He's got more about him than Big Ben.Having said that I don't think he'll ever be a prolific goalscorer. Neither was Kevin Davies at Bolton but the player Big Sam built over there would have been the perfect Danny Graham replacement. 

 

Straight swap Sam for Rhodes in January ? Would you ? I wouldn't personally but I'd shake on Big Ben for Rhodes, not that it's likely to happen.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's got more about him than Big Ben.Having said that I don't think he'll ever be a prolific goalscorer. Neither was Kevin Davies at Bolton but the player Big Sam built over there would have been the perfect Danny Graham replacement. 

 

Straight swap Sam for Rhodes in January ? Would you ? I wouldn't personally but I'd shake on Big Ben for Rhodes, not that it's likely to happen.

Whilst I understand that this is not the point you are making, Gallagher lacks the aeriel ability, strength and hold up play to play such a role. I thought yesterday he did bring plenty of selfless running but didnt offer that much directly productive in terms of attacking aside from that half chance he had which he took well to be fair and drew a save.

I certainly would do that swap, even accounting for the risk that Rhodes would never recreate the incredibly consistent and prolific strike rate that he had the first time he was here. I think goalscoring is becoming an underrated part of actually being a striker, and theres no comparison of a one in two striker compared to a one in maybe six or seven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Whilst I understand that this is not the point you are making, Gallagher lacks the aeriel ability, strength and hold up play to play such a role. I thought yesterday he did bring plenty of selfless running but didnt offer that much directly productive in terms of attacking aside from that half chance he had which he took well to be fair and drew a save.

I certainly would do that swap, even accounting for the risk that Rhodes would never recreate the incredibly consistent and prolific strike rate that he had the first time he was here. I think goalscoring is becoming an underrated part of actually being a striker, and theres no comparison of a one in two striker compared to a one in maybe six or seven.

And how many chances did we actually created for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

And how many chances did we actually created for him?

You seem to still be under the impression that all of the responsibility in regards to chance creation falls at the feet of the midfielders.

The reason that Dack scores so many tap ins is because his movement and anticipation gets him into the correct positions. It is not a coincidence that Dack, despite being slower and smaller, gets many more chances "created" for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

if mowbray negotiates a swap deal of rhodes for brereton then they should commision a statue of him next to jack😎

And then I woke up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.