BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom
Just now, davulsukur said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18132325.mowbray-explains-rovers-rotation-policy-christmas/

Mowbray doesn't need to defend his mental rotation policy over Xmas, despite it providing abject performances and a poor points return.

“I don’t feel I should have to defend myself about the selection."

No Tony, you don't, but it would certainly gain you some good will if you did, rather than take the high and mighty route of "I know more than you so shut up". Even if it's true that's a pretty shitty way to deal with fan concern IMO.

Perhaps if we didn't sign so many f'ing crocks we wouldn't be in the position of having half of them in the treatment room. Just a thought.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

I can see why some fans want Mowbray replaced, while I don’t agree with that view, I do can understand and respect their view.

As some others have said, I fully expected a mid-table finish this season and we are on course to achieve that.  I never bought into the play off talk because the squad that we have isn’t good enough to get the points required to get into the top 6.

The transfer policy is something that does need to be questioned.  TM and his recruitment team are in full control of signing players and we have spent £12 million on strikers that don’t look capable of getting anywhere near 20 goals a season, so that has to be questioned as does the decision not to look at what we lack (particularly in wide areas) which is pace.  Teams find it easy to setup against us because we cannot really hit them on the break or disrupt their defensive shape because everything that we do is so slow.

I hope that Mowbray is given until the end of the season and then we can review where we are.  The other danger of making any change is that there are still outside influences that have access to Venky’s which always brings the danger that they end up listening to the wrong advice and appoint someone as bad as Coyle/Kean which would throw the club into freefall.

We've been in free fall since the Indians first rocked up 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18132325.mowbray-explains-rovers-rotation-policy-christmas/

Mowbray doesn't need to defend his mental rotation policy over Xmas, despite it providing abject performances and a poor points return.

He doesn’t believe in having a best XI. That much is clear. He thinks that picking whomever trains best for the next game is the way to achieve his goals. To hell with consistency and form - despite that being the root of his recent success. He needs to have a re-think.

Interviews like this are exactly why I think he can’t take us any further.

• Like 9

Just now, Stuart said:

He doesn’t believe in having a best XI. That much is clear. He thinks that picking whomever trains best for the next game is the way to achieve his goals. To hell with consistency and form - despite that being the root of his recent success. He needs to have a re-think.

Interviews like this are exactly why I think he can’t take us any further.

I just hope he retires at the end of the season it would save a lot of hassle and force the issue with no one to blame. Obviously the snowflakes amongst the support would have a breakdown and melt but we might end up with someone who'll role their sleeves up and get stuck in instead of winging it.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

I just hope he retires at the end of the season it would save a lot of hassle and force the issue with no one to blame. Obviously the snowflakes amongst the support would have a breakdown and melt but we might end up with someone who'll role their sleeves up and get stuck in instead of winging it.

We are stuck with him for the foreseeable. He can’t simply walk away from the money. It’s a pretty defiant tone to say that he doesn’t feel he should need to justify his (failed) rotation policy. It will take the players to down tools and lose 10 games in a row to force the issue - but why would they? It’s easy street for them too.

What I find odd is just how much Smallwood has fallen out of favour. He has been consistently poor at Championship level and yet consistently picked until some kind of terminal end to his involvement. A fall out or an automatic contract extension or pay rise after a number of games?

The Adarabioyo mystery injury is still suspiciously like a contractual clause, maybe consecutive games triggering a payment to City. All very odd.

Yet he remains bullish about his reasons for making 28 changes in half a dozen games. “Don’t question me”.

• Like 2

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

unfortunately for us mowbray is`nt getting sacked,however there is light at the end of the dark tunnel,i think he`ll see the season out and retire,he`s looking more and more dejected on the touchline week by week,he just does`nt seem interested

I don’t see him retiring, he’s only 56!

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

he seems tired to me,fed up with the game and disallusioned, he certainly won`t be short of a bob or two,im`e sure he`ll finish at the end of the season

I guess we’ll see.

3 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he seems tired to me,fed up with the game and disallusioned, he certainly won`t be short of a bob or two,im`e sure he`ll finish at the end of the season

He's done it to himself if that's the case !

I have wondered recently how much of this increasingly crazy swap and change policy is just him being him and how much is it sticking the middle finger up just a tad ?

this management lark is all about man management,you`ve got to treat people/players  differently,some you can leave alone to get on with it,some need encouragement while some you just need to get rid of as quick as possible,it`s the same as managing a works department,if you don`t have their respect or upset them all they won`t perform,i think this is happening at rovers,i saw it at huddersfield,half the side won`t go the extra step for tony,i think he knows it but is either to proud or hoping to secure our place in the division for next year,then he will resign with a pay off

It's a little odd - and speaks volumes for the character of the man - when he feels that it is wrong to question him after numerous abject performances. Almost like the easy Street that is managing Rovers makes him hypersensitive to any criticism or questions, even when it is clearly justified. Things like this show why I dislike him as a manager and as a person. Crap decisions (crap manager) and Muppet of a person (I can't be questioned). 

Just get rid. At best he is mediocre. But given his losing runs, his terrible transfers and horrendous repeated basic errors of players out of position there's more bad than good in there imo. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else but I do find the conclusion that we are playing worse this season despite accruing points at a better rate somewhat bizarre.

The reason is that we have better game management now and despite your remarks about defence is because we are able to keep a reasonable number of clean sheets.

I don't understand your down on the loan system for which nowadays effective utilisation is an essential part of the manager's skillset. Regarding your comment on the goalkeeper Sheffield United were promoted last season with an on loan goalkeeper in Dean Henderson and are doing the same again this season - pretty well by the look of the league table.

I cannot remember us being so consistently boring as we are now in my time of watching.

Big Sam had his critics but there were always exciting moments and we often won!

People blame the awful atmosphere at Ewood on the stayaways but , honestly, what is there to cheer about? 

The fact that the Club still exists?

Edited by 47er
  • Like 7

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Firstly, funny how there’s no dig towards Gally/Brereton here, and secondly, stop playing strikers out wide. Wingers playing out wide, might just contribute funnily enough. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18133863.mowbrays-challenge-rovers-winger-first-team-return/

I am sick to death of reading Mowbrays shite

Here he is deflecting away from the fact he bought garbage in those 2 piss pot strikers.

He falls over himself to slag of certain players in public whilst leaving his chums well alone.

I feel for Sharpe having to listen to this fool babble on a daily basis.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Firstly, funny how there’s no dig towards Gally/Brereton here, and secondly, stop playing strikers out wide. Wingers playing out wide, might just contribute funnily enough. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18133863.mowbrays-challenge-rovers-winger-first-team-return/

Absolute horse shit! The man just loves to single people out. In my experience that is not the way to get the best out of someone. Play Rothwell on the right wing where he can get to the byline and put crosses in a la Ripley. 

Done listening to him now, just gonna sit back and watch this season dwindle out.

Edited by Wegerleswiggle
  • Like 1

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Ah back to the Rothwell bashing, yet no mention of captain fantastic who has been even worse. Also love this quote about Chapman.

“I think initially it’s because of the numbers we’ve got but it’s an opportunity for him to try and do enough to make sure that as people come back he stays on the bench,”

That's some motivation. Play well and maybe you'll get to sit on the bench.

• Like 5

I would appreciate TM "telling it like it is" about the lack of budget if at least he had some kind of plan for the squad, or had ideas about how to motivate them when the going is tough now. But instead all he can do is analyze how shit we are without Dack, and shrug. That's great Tony, but what are you paid for then? Other than to play players out of position?

He has no plan B for injuries, clearly brings 0 motivation for the squad, and plays talent out of position. In what way would we be worse without a manager?

• Like 2

Losing Dack tough as it is has now given him the free pass for not hitting 70 points and maybe not bettering last seasons place.

Of course it's going to have a massive impact but the 12 million seems irrelevant now in his mind.  As does making an attempt to shift some out and bring in a bit of flair.  His limited view of it all and lack of nous will hamper almost as much as Dack missing, clubs get key players injured, they find a way to cope. Especially when you've a squad still containing FIVE strikers and several who can play in Dacks position, at least that's what he told us when signing them.

A lot of these were recruited to so called cover these eventualities for gods sake.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Some other interesting points I took from that..

First regarding Chapman:

“I think initially it’s because of the numbers we’ve got but it’s an opportunity for him to try and do enough to make sure that as people come back he stays on the bench,” Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph.

“It’s down to him really. I thought he did alright. We need end product from our wide players.”

Great motivation, basically being told you will only ever make the bench. And the other wide players are creating loads of chances? Id be off if I was him. Obviously never going to get much game time while TM is here. 

Secondly regarding Rothwell,

“I’ve been showing him an example of (Bryan) Mbeumo at Brentford, 10 goals and five assists.

“Joe has no goals and no assists.

Pretty damning and also true. Whilst he may excite at times, you cant argue Rothwell needs to do more . 

Edited by benhben

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

“It’s down to him [Chapman] really. I thought he did alright. We need end product from our wide players.”

Might help if he plays on the right side?

21 hours ago, Pedro said:

That is very unfair to suggest genuine life-long supporters on here are fickle.  There are very few fickle folk on here to be honest.

If you've arrived at the party late, you may have missed that the strongest suggestions and criticisms on here have consistently been:

Play players in their proper positions.

Stick with a settled side.

Buy some defenders.

Drop Bennett for Nyambe.

Play to our strengths, not the strengths of the opposition.

Introduce more pace and movement by playing Rothwell.

Stop playing Gallagher as a winger.

BUY SOME DEFENDERS

Move the ball quicker instead of this lethargic approach play.

Press higher up the pitch.

Replace Bell and buy some effing defenders!!!

Now, when Mowbray finally did most of that and he picked the same team for four games, we won four on the bounce - and it wasn't ever rocket science. Yet, myself and the other tiresome members of the brigade didn't get over-excited and knew it wouldn't be long until Bennett was back in situ and way out of his depth, that numerous unnecessary changes would be made in order to give lads a game, that we'd concede ground on the pitch, start inviting crosses into the box again and stop pressing in the other half.  We knew that we would quickly revert to type and a winless run.  We knew this because we recognise what a poor manager he is on the most basic of levels and we listen to Mowbray's contradictory soundbites.

So unfortunately, I can't take your advice to just put up with the dross and shut up because clapping along merrily won't help the long-term future of this club.  Supporting a team doesn't mean sitting back, smiling and accepting failure.  I would much rather get rid of this useless chap now and give the new man the opportunity to chance his arm for the playoffs or at the least, give him a fantastic opportunity to have a kind of  pro-longed pre season 20-21 and see what is worth keeping or shipping out (like we did with Souness).

The Mowbray out brigade I refer to is on Twitter rather than on here. That's probably my mistake. I've uninstalled it now! 

I understand why people are against him I just don't see the point in making a change now. Who could we even get? Last time we did this mid-season we ended up with Coyle.

Just see where we are at the end of the season then if he goes (and if there isn't progress it might be a mutual decision) the new guy can have a pre-season.

• Like 1