BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

• Moderation Lead
10 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

What do you want him to do with no money ?.. he’s steadied the ship!!!

Did you miss the part where he spent £12 Million on Brereton and Gallagher? 

Hardly no money in the second division, is it?
That’s the reason we ma the lacking now!

• Like 3

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I wouldn’t say no money. Though the total budget (fees + wages) are around 12th highest in the league.

Yes but the likes of Preston can only dream of paying 7 and 5 Millon fees on individuals.

Mowbray spent the money badly our squad should be in a lot better place with the money he has had.

Money can not be used as an excuse as to why key areas in our squad are severely lacking in quality

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

What do you want him to do with no money ?.. he’s steadied the ship!!!

What do you mean, Mowbray has had no money? £15m on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher. Another £2m on Chapman, Rothwell, Bell and Dack. All for the first team. We've had value added on Dack and Armstrong. That's a very poor return. Those 7 do not play together in the same team.

Remember Lambert who said we needed to spend £15-20m to gain promotion. He would have brought players to play in the first team. That's the difference. Mowbray buys to strengthen the squad. That's not the way to achieve promotion.

Far from steadying the ship, Mowbray has increasingly unbalanced the squad. He's played players out of position and gets much less out of them than he could.

12 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

You do know he hasn’t actually said that yet has he?

If we want to get heated about made up things how about this -

TM - “Delighted that Lionel Messi has signed for us, his boyhood idols. Now he just needs to learn how to play the wide forward role from young Ben and then if he gets his chance, I’m sure that he’ll do his best to take it.”

I appreciate the irony.

• Like 1

Good stuff from @JoeH very interesting and backs up what I've been saying for weeks.

Mowbray started the comparisons with that lot last time he was rooting for a set of excuses. However when you do and you get down to the nitty gritty it does him no favours at all.

Of course there's a possibility they'll fall away next season. There's also just as much chance we'll finish similar to each other again midway. Yet give them 5 mill in summer & a few luxury loans I'd back them to be way above us. Give us similar again and I don't expect much difference.

Says it all, they push we dawdle.

6 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

What do you mean, Mowbray has had no money? £15m on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher. Another £2m on Chapman, Rothwell, Bell and Dack. All for the first team. We've had value added on Dack and Armstrong. That's a very poor return. Those 7 do not play together in the same team.

Remember Lambert who said we needed to spend £15-20m to gain promotion. He would have brought players to play in the first team. That's the difference. Mowbray buys to strengthen the squad. That's not the way to achieve promotion.

Far from steadying the ship, Mowbray has increasingly unbalanced the squad. He's played players out of position and gets much less out of them than he could.

Not necessarily disagreeing with much regarding Mowbray but Lambert would not have spent 15m on strengthening the team, not successfully anyway!

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with much regarding Mowbray but Lambert would not have spent 15m on strengthening the team, not successfully anyway!

Hmm I wonder how much Graham was worth if he'd had to buy him after the initial loan ?

A fair chunk of that I reckon.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lambert would have signed Graham on a free and kept Hanley and Duffy. He had his formation worked out 3-5-2. He had Lenihan and Evans in midfield. He'd brought in Williams and Bennett to be his wing-backs. He'd have been looking for a strike partner for Graham, a midfield generalissimo, a third CB and a goalkeeper. I think he could have brought in players to make us promotion contenders.

2 hours ago, Swanson said:

@Hannoverover might know?

There are quite a few German clubs interested in him. Hamburg (2nd division- did a Nottingham Forest at the end of the season and somehow didn't get promoted) and Union Berlin (1st division not wealthy) Berlin may only want him if they sell one of their strikers though. He almost single handedly saved his team from relegation last season and the article says he's weighing up his options. Price seems to be around €3-5 million and his team need to plug a €4 million corona-induced hole in their finances so would be willing to sell. 

And the quotes were lifted from the Karlsruher local paper which I've never heard of... so I have no idea if it's a reliable paper or not.

Edited by Hannoverover
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I just think that if he specifically mentioned us and another Championship side as interested in Iversen and within 48 hours, he moves abroad on loan, it seems like the story was not correct. 

Also, all of the back scratching, "spot on again" type posts we saw on here on Sunday (including from yourself) because the oracle Nixon had put his name to the Iversen rumour turned out to be premature and misguided.

Now he has reverted back to being cryptic, just naming the positions we all know that we are looking for.

My status on loaning a kid in net hasnt changed and I am just glad that there is one less possibility for that. Hopefully the Muric link is equally untrue.

yes he is moved to Belgium Club which has the same owner as his parent club. 

Nicko wasn't my source so I already knew the info and it was legit. 

We had interest in Iversen but I would expect we have interested in plenty of keepers depending on different list we will have 

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Or a return to a real 4-4-2 with Armstong running off the big lad.

I don't see how you can play 4-4-2 with our squad. 

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-goalkeeper-iversen-transfers-18752422.amp

This article mentions that talks for Phillips have fizzled out, with Charlton demanding a fee of 800k plus.

800k? Just fucking pay them and have done with it if that's true. The lad is 25 and just had the second best shot-stopping ratio in the league. If we think he is good enough, we are talking less than 100k a year for him for the rest of his career to have the position potentially sewn up. And quite possibly a profit of course. I think we'd all be happy to get him at that price, especially if we were still looking for further competition there.

If the fee is that amount its seems a no brainer in my opinion depending on his budget. 

Who are talking at Charlton end? Is their Director of football Steve Gallen or owners of the club cos the entire club just seems total chaos 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Lambert would have signed Graham on a free and kept Hanley and Duffy. He had his formation worked out 3-5-2. He had Lenihan and Evans in midfield. He'd brought in Williams and Bennett to be his wing-backs. He'd have been looking for a strike partner for Graham, a midfield generalissimo, a third CB and a goalkeeper. I think he could have brought in players to make us promotion contenders.

Have you seen his work at Ipswich, or indeed at Stoke, Wolves or Villa?

I think its fair to say that a team with Williams and Bennett at wing back and Lenihan in central midfield isnt going to be challenging.

I dont think Coyle chose to sell his best 2 centre backs willingly.

Mowbray has made mistakes and has plenty of flaws but hes certainly better than that chancer!

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

yes he is moved to Belgium Club which has the same owner as his parent club. 

Nicko wasn't my source so I already knew the info and it was legit. 

We had interest in Iversen but I would expect we have interested in plenty of keepers depending on different list we will have 

I don't see how you can play 4-4-2 with our squad. 

If the fee is that amount its seems a no brainer in my opinion depending on his budget. 

Who are talking at Charlton end? Is their Director of football Steve Gallen or owners of the club cos the entire club just seems total chaos 

Whatever your source is, maybe best to ignore it next time! And maybe dont prematurely big yourself and the source up 2 days before the player goes elsewhere on the back of Nixon posting the rumour in the paper ?

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Whatever your source is, maybe best to ignore it next time! And maybe dont prematurely big yourself and the source up 2 days before the player goes elsewhere on the back of Nixon posting the rumour in the paper ?

The info was correct we had an interest in the player which I knew a week ago. I didn't need Nixon story. 

No one big anything up just more false ridiculous claims from you! 

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Have you seen his work at Ipswich, or indeed at Stoke, Wolves or Villa?

I think its fair to say that a team with Williams and Bennett at wing back and Lenihan in central midfield isnt going to be challenging.

I dont think Coyle chose to sell his best 2 centre backs willingly.

Mowbray has made mistakes and has plenty of flaws but hes certainly better than that chancer!

Yes, I am aware. Hanley and Duffy weren't going to stay at a club with no ambition. Wing-backs is what Williams and Bennett were. Years of trying to force them to be something they weren't had not yet happened. I don't recall too many people griping about Lenihan. Lambert was no chancer, though he did overplay his hand. I rate Lambert above Mowbray - more Premiership seasons, for one thing. 

Edited by Richard Oakley

33 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Coyle bought Williams

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

At the risk of being chastised for using data, I posted a comparison of our Squad Age vs Playing Time against Preston North End under the same metrics on social media. You can see just how dispersed we are, with young players pre-peak getting a lot of game time, and a huge chunk in the bottom right for players in the post-peak stage of their careers.

Preston boast a very even side, with older and younger players getting less game time, and the players in their supposed "prime" filling out most of the apps. Those central right based white dots speak volumes about where their squad is currently sitting at vs where the Rovers squad currently sits.

Bearing in mind that Rovers are set to lose three blue dots from this list, in central-ish areas, it doesn't make for amazing viewing if the goal is long-term planning.

212150493_PrestonvsBlackburn.thumb.png.44d4548748ff94726490023a2204726b.png

Whilst having a big chunk of players sat in the pre-peak section for Rovers isn't a bad thing, there's always the unpredictability of whether they will or won't succeed as Championship footballers. See Joe Rankin-Costello, John Buckley and so-forth. In 2019/20 we had twice as many players on the books in their "post-peak" phase than Preston North End did. 

This of course becomes even more fascinating when you look at the spending habits of both sides. Preston have spent a total sum of £1.9m in the last calendar year. They have continued with their development of younger players and seen them transition into the "Peak" section. Spending less than a third that Rovers spent, Preston finished two places better off in the final 2019/20 Championship standings. 

Preston head into 2020/21 with a solid back four, a high standard pairing at CB in Bauer and Davies, and a set of first team goalkeepers. They haven't had to break the bank to manage this, they have simply set their targets, gone after the players they wanted and got deals over the line nice and early. They picked up Patrick Bauer on a cheaper deal mainly because they acted more swiftly and shrewdly than the rest of the market (which included us). They managed a Scott Sinclair loan which really helped them push on this season, and with his contract up they'll likely grab him on a free for the new season too which is some very shrewd management. 

I'm not saying that Preston, only two places above us, are a God like entity we should be striving to replicate. We have a far superior set up at Brockhall, with better facilities, coaching and a far superior youth development program. Preston don't even boast an Under 23's team and have just lost their entire Under 18's crop. There are certainly areas however, most importantly their transfer policies and their ability to sign players in their peak, that we should definitely be trying to emulate if we're to succeed going forward.

At the end of the day Preston are a small club at this level with a restricted budget. Despite Hemmings being a 'billionaire' and subsidising their losses every year he will not splurge millions on players or allow huge losses to mount up.

But Preston do have a transparent structure and everyone pulling in the same direction to try and get promoted, and their transfer business reflects that. Balanced, sensible, methodical. Each signing made to do a job in the team and to try to improve the team on an immediate basis.

We far eclipse them in finances, facilities and pulling power, and supposedly have very rich owners always willing to write cheques out, and yet as you point out they are in the relatively comfortable position of having the essentials in place under contract. Even if they don't sign anyone this summer they will still be able to field a competitive established side.

Compare to the farcical situation whereby despite losses of more than double what PNE have and a wage bill significantly higher we are sat here with pre season upon us with no GK and 1 CB and seemingly yet again going down the old favourite loan route to plug gaps for a few months.

Just what the plan is here i don't know but with each passing window I become less of the opinion that the aim is promotion asap and more of the opinion that there are ulterior agendas taking place here.

Just how hard it can be to sign a proper proven keeper and a CB i do not know. Already we've seen Marshall, Phillips, Hall, Chester doing the rounds - all would be good bets for a couple of decent seasons yet they'll all go elsewhere whilst we fiddle. 

49 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Yes, I am aware. Hanley and Duffy weren't going to stay at a club with no ambition. Wing-backs is what Williams and Bennett were. Years of trying to force them to be something they weren't had not yet happened. I don't recall too many people griping about Lenihan. Lambert was no chancer, though he did overplay his hand. I rate Lambert above Mowbray - more Premiership seasons, for one thing. 

You have got to be kidding. Mowbray got Rovers out of the third division at the first attempt. Ipswich were nowhere to be seen. Ipswich fans are desperate to get rid of him but he signed a five year contract so he isn’t going anywhere soon and neither are they. He is a Chancer. A rich one. 

• Like 1