Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Matty that's more of a sign of how social media influences the views of others than the state of our club. They have tweeted that because it is more likely to be retweeted, liked and commented on than a simple thanks for your services.

But then they are diminishing the club by calling a solid pro, who’s done a good job in the lower leagues for us (been a favourite of mine since day 1), but still a fairly insignificant figure in the grand scheme of things a ‘club legend’ we are Blackburn Rovers, not Reading. 

That’s poor PR for me, but WTF do I know 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mattyblue

Good luck Danny,good servant to the club.

Id give Downing another year but id be looking to move Johnson on , thought he was going to be a good signing but been poor majority of games this season and looked like his heart wasn't in it 

15 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Neither. Everyone really rated him, but I found he slowed down play a lot.

This 💯 

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

And Bennett????

Another year to go

Agreed on Downing. He has undoubted quality but on the rare occasions we look decent is when we move the ball quickly through midfield and Downing always seems to take that extra touch.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But then they are diminishing the club by calling a solid pro, who’s done a good job in the lower leagues for us (been a favourite of mine since day 1), but still a fairly insignificant figure in the grand scheme of things a ‘club legend’ we are Blackburn Rovers, not Reading. 

Yeah, fair point. I don't want people to link Danny Graham to Rovers legendary status I won't lie. There are a lot of worse things that could happen to us though.

I think he scored 50 goals, which isn't case for legendary status at any club, let alone a club steeped in history and success like Rovers. There's far more players above him in the pecking order like Jansen, Kevin Gallagher, Sutton and that's not even considering the actual players we'd consider legends.

Legend is becoming a too commonly used phrase to describe footballers relationships with clubs. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sounds like another lazy Mowbray signing.  Team mates son. More jobs for the boys

Ah come on now, that's harsh. 

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Agree, in my opinion he's been a lazy sod for the last 18 months, barely breaking into a sprint and not showing any real commitment,  apart frol a few tap ins.  Club legend my arse.

Like the brilliant Gary Delaney says, the word 'legend' is now demeaned to the point of returning home unexpectedly with crisps.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah come on now, that's harsh. 

So, he's not good enough for the nobbers but good enough for us?

Can't complain about any of those being released. Graham could go to the MLS and still score goals, maybe even Scotland. 

A lot of wages freed up and good that Downing isn't on the list. 

I think we should sign downing for another year under the assumption we change the way we use him. I feel he’d be a great bench option, good ball retention if we’re leading a game also option to bring on for good set piece deliveries and crosses if we need a plan b.

3 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Agreed on Downing. He has undoubted quality but on the rare occasions we look decent is when we move the ball quickly through midfield and Downing always seems to take that extra touch.

100% and yes he keeps possession, but he has slowed down so many attacks by slowing the tempo down to league 2 level.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yeah, fair point. I don't want people to link Danny Graham to Rovers legendary status I won't lie. There are a lot of worse things that could happen to us though.

I think he scored 50 goals, which isn't case for legendary status at any club, let alone a club steeped in history and success like Rovers. There's far more players above him in the pecking order like Jansen, Kevin Gallagher, Sutton and that's not even considering the actual players we'd consider legends.

Legend is becoming a too commonly used phrase to describe footballers relationships with clubs. 

Then I suppose when you have the turn over of staff that we have, it’s probably not a surprise.

Warren Lucy, as an example, I assume runs the social media accounts and he’s a southern hired hand, who will see DG as part of the furniture, he’ll have no connection to our heritage or real awareness of who WE see as legends.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

So, he's not good enough for the nobbers but good enough for us?

He's young and highly rated. As a replacement for Leutwiler, I would be happy with it. 

Sponsor
Posted (edited)

He's young and highly rated. As a replacement for Leutwiler, I would be happy with it. 

Fair enough but not no.1. Highly rated by who? Not Alex Neil

Edited by Sparks Rover

Not as a first team keeper? 

In league 1 with Oldham did he not get the most clean sheets in the league? 

Agree with the decisions on contracts, Downing has a role albeit probably a more reduced one youd like to think. But has been a very good signing. The others, sadly for Graham who has been a good servant, need to be moved on. Gallagher and Brereton now need to push Armstrong, all 3 central strikers.

Just a shame that Bennett, Mulgrew and Johnson remain and are unshiftable.

My mate who is a Preston fan doesnt rate Ripley at all. Happy to see him go. Would be an easy link especially considering his dad and presumably coming in as number 2.

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

They should retire the No.10 shirt.

Don’t tweet them that, it’ll give them ideas!

Then Warren Lucy is just another bloke at Rovers who is bad at his job. He probably doesn't have a clue about football though, and done a social media influencer course at an old polytech university. Now he is earning mid 20k a year to post absolute tripe on our social media page and has never bothered to look up our history. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a program in place which tells him about key dates and when to post what "throwback".

I won't get too angry at him for calling DG a club legend because it is Danny Graham but it isn't true. We name stands after legends, build statues for them and still sing their names even to this day - Danny Graham won't have a song for him even next season.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Then Warren Lucy is just another bloke at Rovers who is bad at his job. He probably doesn't have a clue about football though, and done a social media influencer course at an old polytech university. Now he is earning mid 20k a year to post absolute tripe on our social media page and has never bothered to look up our history. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a program in place which tells him about key dates and when to post what "throwback".

I won't get too angry at him for calling DG a club legend because it is Danny Graham but it isn't true. We name stands after legends, build statues for them and still sing their names even to this day - Danny Graham won't have a song for him even next season.

It’s astonishing how much of a reaction this has brought. Slagging off the media comms guy for a hashtag? No one is comparing him to Shearer. It’s just a tweet, pull yourself together.

DG has been a decent servant for the club and that says a lot when you consider some of the failures we’ve had through the door. Good luck to him.

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

It’s astonishing how much of a reaction this has brought. Slagging off the media comms guy for a hashtag? No one is comparing him to Shearer. It’s just a tweet, pull yourself together.

DG has been a decent servant for the club and that says a lot when you consider some of the failures we’ve had through the door. Good luck to him.

#decentservant, I like it!

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

My reaction has been contained to the BRFCS messageboard, of which I'm certain Danny Graham doesn't read or at least won't do from today.

If Warren Lucy is reading then he has had his first history lesson into Blackburn Rovers and with any luck won't be calling Elliott Bennett a club legend when he leaves on a free in 12 months time.

It wasn't at all meant in any seriousness by myself, and I'm sure Matty isn't going to go and picket the social media suite either, but more a discussion of how the phrase legend is too commonly banded about nowadays.

I'll pull myself together don't you worry