Jump to content
darrenrover

Watford v Rovers Wed 21st Oct 7.45pm

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Butty said:

Despite Dolans last two performances being pretty quiet there’s no way I’d start Chapman ahead of him and I’d go Johnson instead of Evans purely for the fact Johnson can’t play worse than he did yesterday surely 😂

Just thinking to freshen things up a bit. I'm not a big Chapman fan anymore since he lost his pace.

But playing gally on the right and Chapman through the middle like tony did Saturday isnt the right way to play them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Just thinking to freshen things up a bit. I'm not a big Chapman fan anymore since he lost his pace.

But playing gally on the right and Chapman through the middle like tony did Saturday isnt the right way to play them

Yeah it’s a shame isn’t it, he used to be electric quick, in his first spell here he was class, I don’t think he’s good enough for this level these days, Chapman. I agree on your last statement to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Evans and Trybull are both the same type.  We need some thrust in there.  I'd have bought a proper box to box midfielder 

I bet you've got just the player for that role in mind. Having said that I agree with you. Nothing hurts you more than a central midfield player running from deep and drawing defenders out of position. Like when we had Dunny, or Berkovic and Bohinen.

It's obvious Mowbray doesn't see it that way, like Southgate he's very defensive minded and prefers to central midfield players who spend most of the game in their own half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I bet you've got just the player for that role in mind. Having said that I agree with you. Nothing hurts you more than a central midfield player running from deep and drawing defenders out of position. Like when we had Dunny, or Berkovic and Bohinen.

It's obvious Mowbray doesn't see it that way, like Southgate he's very defensive minded and prefers to central midfield players who spend most of the game in their own half.

To be fair to Mowbray for once, Rothwell is supposed to be the one and it is why he played Chapman centrally when he came on on Saturday but when team play very deep it doesn't work even with the players you mentioned. It is then you need variation in the game which is where Mowbray falls down. 

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd throw all 3 outfield deadline day signings in for this, fitness permitting of course. 

Hoping and praying Holtby is back as we're gonna need to keep the ball given Watford's quality, but not holding my breath.

Would've also been the perfect game for Rothwell's drive in midfield. 

Be very much like Rovers to sneak this one but I'm seeing a 1-1 draw. Which in isolation (ignoring last 2 results) would be a decent result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Playing a winger like Chapman in there is a case in point, he is a winger and should have been out wide. Instead we had him in the middle and SG playing as a wide forward.

 

Formation should utilise player strengths not players be shoehorned in to fit a formation.

Sure, I agree with that. I was just referring to the fear that Mowbray doesn't change formation, which he did in the game.  DIdn't help much though, and Chapman was poor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I think I'd throw all 3 outfield deadline day signings in for this, fitness permitting of course. 

Hoping and praying Holtby is back as we're gonna need to keep the ball given Watford's quality, but not holding my breath.

Would've also been the perfect game for Rothwell's drive in midfield. 

Be very much like Rovers to sneak this one but I'm seeing a 1-1 draw. Which in isolation (ignoring last 2 results) would be a decent result.

I hope I’m wrong but given the number of players missing and new ones still to settle in I can’t see anything but a Watford win. 

Best we can hope for is to shut up shop and squeeze out a draw. We need to keep the young Pedro quiet as he looks quite a threat. They also have Sarr who’s deadline day transfer to Palace fell through. All in all they look quite strong both defensively and up front. 

Hopefully by Saturday we will be in a better position squad wise but much depends on those still isolating being available. 

 

 

Edited by Uddersfelt Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't argue with what's being said re; the importance of Holtby/Rothwell. But - Dolan looks half the player without JRC backing him up. Since Nyambe we've not looked anywhere near as much of a threat down the right. 

That being said, I'd stick with Nyambe on Wednesday - as we'll likely need his defensive capability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I remember standing on the terraces at Vicarage Road when we won 3-1. I think Tony Field scored and maybe one of their ex players Garbutt or Endean. 
Same again please. 

was that when it absolutely poured down and we were on the open end. Lads where raiding the shop/hut for boxes to try to keep the rain off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Holtby will be back in time for this game. He left his family last night in Germany according to his own Instagram 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Evans and Trybull are both the same type.  We need some thrust in there.  I'd have bought a proper box to box midfielder 

But as was quoted : With what's available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Playing a winger like Chapman in there is a case in point, he is a winger and should have been out wide. Instead we had him in the middle and SG playing as a wide forward.

 

Formation should utilise player strengths not players be shoehorned in to fit a formation.

100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, briansol said:

Sure, I agree with that. I was just referring to the fear that Mowbray doesn't change formation, which he did in the game.  DIdn't help much though, and Chapman was poor. 

he didn't change formation, he changed personnel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looks like Holtby will be back in time for this game. He left his family last night in Germany according to his own Instagram 

Like the littlest Hobo....maybe tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rigger said:

he didn't change formation, he changed personnel. 

He changed the formation from the start of the second half. Went from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-1-3. 

Evans was moved inside as a sitter with Johnson, and Buckley was pushed forward off the striker. Which was the same position that Chapman replaced him in.

Not sure if you watched it on IFollow,  but the commentators also mentioned the change.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
8 minutes ago, briansol said:

He changed the formation from the start of the second half. Went from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-1-3. 

Evans was moved inside as a sitter with Johnson, and Buckley was pushed forward off the striker. Which was the same position that Chapman replaced him in.

Not sure if you watched it on IFollow,  but the commentators also mentioned the change.

 

so what you are saying is one midfielder pushed forward. That is not a tactical change, that may happen during the natural flow of a game. A tactical change, using the same players would have been to play Gally as center forward ,down the middle and Chapman on the wing getting crosses in for him. any defensive headers out you have Johnson waiting 30 yards out to hopefully pick up some ball and have a shot. You never know he might get a deflection. I did watch the game, I will keep my opinion of the commentators to myself as I don't want to upset anyone.   

Edited by rigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, briansol said:

He changed the formation from the start of the second half. Went from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-1-3. 

Evans was moved inside as a sitter with Johnson, and Buckley was pushed forward off the striker. Which was the same position that Chapman replaced him in.

Not sure if you watched it on IFollow,  but the commentators also mentioned the change.

 

It was a slight change but that is essentially a less mobile version of the same due to a lack of the Rothwell that provided fluidity and hoped that Evans could provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll go nowhere continually persisting with Gallagher in any sort of wide right role these are the fine margins.  You just knew 100% bringing him on nothing was going to come of it.

Needs to be in the middle attacking balls put in front of him to be any real threat. If you just want someone tracking back then at least put someone there who might just do something going forwards if there's chance. 

At 5 million quid though and probably 15-20k pwk everyone had better get used to it because it won't go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We'll go nowhere continually persisting with Gallagher in any sort of wide right role these are the fine margins.  You just knew 100% bringing him on nothing was going to come of it.

Needs to be in the middle attacking balls put in front of him to be any real threat. If you just want someone tracking back then at least put someone there who might just do something going forwards if there's chance. 

At 5 million quid though and probably 15-20k pwk everyone had better get used to it because it won't go away.

I agree with you regarding Gallagher, if he's going to be playing in the middle he needs balls played in front of him, either on the ground or in the air, that he can run on to. Expecting him to be a hold up player won't work. Playing as a lone striker is very difficult, I'd say it's the hardest role in any team. Everybody else is normally facing the direction of play, you're normally facing back down the pitch. They're usually the highest paid players in most teams for a reason.  That's why the right service is all important. I wouldn't be expecting Alan Shearer in his prime getting much more that 15,16,17 league goals in this team because of the lack of service.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nagging feeling we are hitting another of our sticky patches it has a familiar feeling to it.  Hit on something that works well and have a few wins then something forced or unforced crops up.  Change it, hit the skids, no points, then go back to all out attack and a winning run again.

Watford  1    Rovers   0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Can get a feel for how similar to Cardiff I think Watford will be with this graph above. Whilst they boast a good side, viewing of The Hornets so far this season shows them to be a much more conservative possession based side, with more focus on dominating games rather than throwing men forward and having 20 shots on goal. This will be an extremely tough fixture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game for me, I'd be dropping:

Johnson, Evans and Brereton.

Johnson and Evans weren't up to it and after a bad performance should be dropped.

I'd bring in Holtby, Trybull for those 2. Think having those 2 will suit Buckley more. 

Whilst bringing in Elliott for Brereton, who looks much worse than Dolan. 

We CANNOT play Gallagher out wide, it baffled me how Tony is still yet to learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Johnson has much more credit in the bank than Buckley after a good start to the season, whereas Buckley had a chance and fell massively short. Johnson should be played slightly further forward where he can offer a goal threat breaking forward with ideally Trybull sat in front of the back 4.

Dolan and Brereton have been equally poor in the last 2 games, in an ideal world both should be taken out of the side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

This game for me, I'd be dropping:

Johnson, Evans and Brereton.

Johnson and Evans weren't up to it and after a bad performance should be dropped.

I'd bring in Holtby, Trybull for those 2. Think having those 2 will suit Buckley more. 

Whilst bringing in Elliott for Brereton, who looks much worse than Dolan. 

We CANNOT play Gallagher out wide, it baffled me how Tony is still yet to learn.

He absolutely knows but he's lumbered himself with a 5 million pound dilemma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

We CANNOT play Gallagher out wide, it baffled me how Tony is still yet to learn.

We shouldn't play him at all, he's bleeding awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.