BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Birmingham 3-3 (phew)

cn174

After missing the Pompey game, I’m still waiting to see my first Rovers victory of the season sad.gif It’s been a long season so far, but after three consecutive draws Birmingham at home could actually be the game that I see Rovers eventually win!

Yesterday, the Blues suffered their 5th 1-0 defeat of the season at home to Everton. They weren’t particularly bad, just couldn’t score – Heskey and Yorke both missing very good chances. For their visit to Ewood, Birmingham will be without influential midfielder Muzzy Izzet after he produced a fantastic two handed save on the line earning him a red card.

Meanwhile in Rovers game something amazing happened. Rovers were awarded a penalty!! Rovers fans celebrated as if we’d just scored, Danny Mills got send off then we realised that someone had to then actually score the penalty. Thankfully Dickov coolly slotted it into the bottom corner to make it 1-1.

The Players

In recent years Rovers has become a minor feeder club to Birmingham with Damien Johnson, Martin Taylor and David Dunn all heading south.

Damien Johnson has been there the longest and is a first team regular on the right wing for the Blues. Johnson made over 100 appearances at Ewood after progressing through the academy. He left Rovers in the 2001/02 season after making just 8 appearances. We kept Gillespie, Birmingham got Johnson – doesn’t seem that good in hindsight!

Martin “Bambi” Taylor moved to Birmingham in January for (a somewhat overpriced) £1.25million. Although Taylor played a part in the defence in the season that Rovers kept 15 clean sheets, many thought that he did not progress as much as hoped. Steve Bruce was a big admirer of his, stating “"Martin Taylor appeals to me because he is versatile and young, he's English, he is six feet, four inches tall and he can play right-back, left-back and centre-back. “ However he has only made two appearances this season.

David Dunn left Rovers in the summer of 2003 for £5.5million. Dunn was a Blackburn lad, supported Rovers and came through the ranks at Rovers. He made 169 appearances for Rovers and scored 38 goals. He also played regularly and also captained the England U21 squad. During the first season back in the Premiership, Dunn was fantastic for Rovers and was part of the Worthington Cup winning team.

However in the 02/03 season he wasn’t up to the same standards and also he didn’t see eye to eye with Souness. The sale of Dunn split the opinions of Rovers fans. There were those who believed that he should have stayed at Rovers – a fit Dunn would have been very handy at times last season. On the other hand others believed that Souness could no longer get the best out of Dunn, and that he was injured too much, so £5.5m for him was a good deal. I am one of the people who would welcome Dunn back to Rovers any day.

Plug for the site coming here – at the end of last season Alan75 sent an interview off to Dunny who took the time to reply. Click here for the article

The Games

In the past few seasons our record against Birmingham has been pretty good, losing just once to them in the league since 2000.

Last season saw Rovers win 4-0, lose 4-0 and draw 1-1.

In December, Rovers scored four goals in 22 second half minutes. The first half was a pretty boring affair, even though Dugarry should have been sent off for a blatent elbow on Craig Short. However after the introduction of Andy Cole in the second half, Rovers were on fire. Although Cole didn’t score he played a part in the first two goals, being involved in both Ferguson and Neill’s goals. Dugarry did then get send off, for a second bookable offence and from then on the Rovers victory wasn’t in doubt with Tugay and Gallagher scoring.

However it was a completely different story in the FA Cup in January. After waiting an extra 35 minutes for the game to kick off due to a power failure, two goals either side of half time gave Birmingham an easy victory. Rovers were pretty poor that day, and the excellent game that David Dunn had only made the defeat worse. Morrison, Clemence, Forssell and Hughes were the scorers.

The final game between the two teams was Rovers last game of the season. Rovers had just secured their Premiership place for this season and were looking to finish the season on a high. After the Blues started the game on top, Andy Cole put Rovers ahead in the 24rd minute. The game ended 1-1, after Stern John equalised in the 83rd minute. It was the story of Rovers’ season – drawing a game we should have and could have won, meaning that Rovers slipped down the table by two positions and losing £1m in the process.

The Opposition

To get an opposition view of things I asked Flopsy’s mate Nigel, who is a Blues season ticket holder, some questions.

1) Much was expected of Brum following an expensive summer. Where has it gone wrong so far?

Forsell's and Morrison's injury's, Heskey, Gronkear, Sick Note Anderton & Sick Note Dunn.

2) Are you glad that Steve Bruce didn't take the Newcastle job?

Yes

3) What are your thoughts on Rovers so far this season?

They will be lucky to stay up

4) Newcastle then offered their job to Souness, he buggered off, and now he have Hughes. Do you think we'll be better or worse under Hughes?

Better under Sparky but you'll still go down if you don't buy in the winter window.

5) We've had mixed reports of David Dunn from Brum fans. What do you think of him?

He is an exceptional player who's skill and workrate make things happen, just a shame he is as soft as ###### when it comes to injuries.

6) More importantly how is Tiny Taylor doing?! ;-)

He is crap, we should never of got rid of Purse to the Albion

7) Who have been your best and worst players this year?

Melchiot has been the best, Gronkear the worst.

8) What style of play can we expect from you on Saturday?

We will command midfield, defend well, but have next to no chances. 0-0 draw.

9) Which Rovers player are you most scared of?

Friedel

10) Any memories from Blackburn v Birmingham games that stick in your mind?

0-4 followed by 4-0 last season was a game of two visits. The season before at Eawood when you kicked Dugarry etc all over the place. A dirty game which we should have won.

11) Where do you think both teams will finish at the end of the season?

Blues - Bottom half (11th), Blackburn - 15th to relegated

12) And finally - last season the three games between Rovers and Birmingham brought 10 goals. Do you think we'll see the same kind of high scoring or do you think it'll be a bore draw?

Bore draw most certainly

Thankyou to Nigel for answering those smile.gif

The Predition

As for the score I’m going for 2-1 to Rovers. Dickov to score in the first half, Birmingham to equalise just after half time. Then Stead to come on and score his first (of many) goal of the season!

Come on Rovers!!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only see Rovers winning TBH. Brum were very poor against Everton I thought, they created nothing apart from a chance for Dwight Yorke in the last min, which not unlike him, he missed!(watch him score against us now)

anyway, as long as Rovers keep the same team apart from the injured Stead.Who should be replaced by Matt Jansen, i really do fell rovers will win easy.

Rovers 4-0 Brum rover.gif

This will be one bad boring game- a terrible advert for trying to bring the TV watchers to Ewood. Quite possibly a sub-20,000 crowd as well.

Brum have managed just 8 goals all season and we have scored 9. Unlike us, Brum don't conceed many either.

This is the long over due 0-0. We will have to wait a bit longer for the second win of the season.

This remindes me of the Everton game last season at Ewood, its a must win game again.. sad.gif A poor nervous game I would think, with Roves taking all points from a late Johansson goal..

Rovers 1

Birmingham 0 (damn you Bob biggrin.gif )

Johansson (82)

Att: 21 093

Edited by krislu

This will be one bad boring game- a terrible advert for trying to bring the TV watchers to Ewood. Quite possibly a sub-20,000 crowd as well.

Brum have managed just 8 goals all season and we have scored 9. Unlike us, Brum don't conceed many either.

This is the long over due 0-0. We will have to wait a bit longer for the second win of the season.

11 goals actually. Still not enough though

10-0 to Blackburn, and in a record breaking game all of the goals are scored by different players. Only Jon "No Barn Door Too Big" Stead misses out.

After the game Rovers fans end all attempts to undermine the sheer greatness of the team with facts and cutting tactical analysis, and in a newfound spirit of optimism come to believe that Rovers are heading for only one thing only this season: glory.

At the risk of winning the 'Stating the bleedin' obvious ' award. Not only do we have to start winning but we need to start winning by 3 - 0, 4 - 0 to get rid of the crap GD.

So with that in mind

Us 4 ( Dickov 2, Jansen, Stead)

Them NIL

tinykit.gif

Rovers 1

Everton 0

Johansson (82)

Att: 21 093

Bloomin 'Eck krislu!! That's one brave prediction! Not only is Nils Eric going to score (highly unlikely in itself) but we're going to beat Everton?!? What about Birmingham? I don't know what the odds are on that but it's got to be worth a pound.

I think we'll win. 2-1. Yorke to open the scoring with a tremendous 80 yard run where he beats our entire team and Mark Hughes before sending an acrobatic over head kick past a stranded Eddie Niedzwiecki in the Rovers goal. We equalise through the "tireless running" of Paul Dickov and Rovers score the winner in the 79th minute through David Thompson who out jumps everyone to side foot home from 3 yards. Just as I predicted last week, again, there will be no penalties.

In summary: -

Rovers 2

Stoke City 1

considering I got three of my last four predictions right and only missed out on getting Norwich right due to the sending off, otherwisw would havebeen right.

Frankly I don't think we are strong enough up front to say we will score more then one goal, but I havbe hope thart Thompson or Reid is going to get a winning goal from 20 yards

2-0 to blackburn

Another Reply from one of my Collegues - Sorry Claire thought I might as well just post it.

Michael England another Bluenose

1) Much was expected of Brum following an expensive summer. Where has it gone wrong so far?

[Michael England] Changing the emphasis of the team from defensive to attacking - all of the players signed are more likely to turn up in the opposition half than defending in ours, but havn't looked like producing the extra goals that the new style of play needs. Forssell getting injured hasn't helped, but Bruce is a berk for basing his plan for the season around a loan player.

2) Are you glad that Steve Bruce didn't take the Newcastle job?

[Michael England] To be honest i'm not sure. Yes he took us up within half a season of being manager, and yes the last couple of seasons have been ok, but we've only won about 7 out of the last 33 games, so on current form i don't think his job is that safe.

3) What are your thoughts on Rovers so far this season?

[Michael England] Not exactly a great season so far is it? Sourness lost the players by the look of it & ran before he was pushed (why the feck did newcastle want him for christs sake?). Pinning your goalscoring hopes on bothroyd, stead, & the taxi headbutter is a tad desperate as well.

4) Newcastle then offered their job to Souness, he buggered off, and now he have Hughes. Do you think we'll be better or worse under Hughes?

[Michael England] Worse. I'm part welsh, & hughes is definately living off the period of games where they beat germany & italy - they havn't won in 19 world cup games or something silly, and played some terrible football, so i wouldn't be surprised if you're playing burnley again next season.

5) We've had mixed reports of David Dunn from Brum fans. What do you think of him?

[Michael England] Fat get who can't put his socks on without gettng injured.

6) More importantly how is Tiny Taylor doing?! ;-)

[Michael England] Who?????? Oh, you mean that ballboy we paid 1.25m for.

7) Who have been your best and worst players this year?

[Michael England] Gronkjaer doesn't know the meaning of 'teamplay', heskey & yorke may as well spend saturday afternoon's in the players lounge for all the good they are doing on the pitch at the moment. Melchiot has to be the best of the new bunch - im surprised chelski let him go for nothing, as he looks a level above the rest of the squad. Julian Gray has surprised me as well - not sure about him being talked up for england, but sven could do a lot worse on the left side.

8) What style of play can we expect from you on Saturday?

[Michael England] Lots of neat passing between defense & midfield, then down the wing for gronkjaer / gray / lazaridis to shank it aimlessly into the box for heskey & yorke to stand next to each other and watch it get headed out by a defender.

9) Which Rovers player are you most scared of?

[Michael England] er, can i get back to you on that one? (ferguson maybe, emerton possibly.)

10) Any memories from Blackburn v Birmingham games that stick in your mind?

[Michael England] A game 3 or 4 years ago when we still had francis as manager, we played a midweek game when we could still have got automatic promotion to the premier, lost 0-2 (i think duff scored the second) - I'd been dumped by my bird & made redundant in the couple of day's previous, so i snapped, stood up & launched into a quite amazing torrent of filthy language aimed at the players & manager. The boke sitting next to me the proceeded to ###### me one. Not the best of weeks really....... .

11) Where do you think both teams will finish at the end of the season?

[Michael England] I can see blackburn going down, as hughes is unproven & there doesn't seem to be anyone in your squad that can spark a game into life. As for blues, we need to fluke a few more wins like liverpool to get things going.

12) And finally - last season the three games between Rovers and Birmingham brought 10 goals. Do you think we'll see the same kind of high scoring or do you think it'll be a bore draw?

[Michael England] we've scored more than 1 goal in a game only once this season & you ain't exactly top of the scoring charts. 3-3 it is then.

see you in a couple of seasons......... . .

Birmingham fans obviously don't think we're good enough to stay up and struggle to name one of our players who might cause them a problem. Says it all really.

Brum have been in desperate form and this is a match we need to win if we are to start climbing out of trouble. The problem is I can't see where our goals are coming from. So to prove me wrong it'll be:

Rovers 4 Birmingham 0

We owe them that for the dreadful display in the FA Cup last season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.