BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2005/6 Season Ticket Sales

Season Ticket Sales - Renewing or Not ?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Season Ticket Sales - Renewing or Not ?

• Renewing my season ticket.
    • Renewing season ticket but moving to cheaper seats.
    • Not renewing my season ticket.
    • Buying my first season ticket.
    • Exiled Rover - wish I could attend games.

This poll is closed to new votes

We need a ' Pay at the turnstile ' option. How many people wake up on a saturday morning and think ' I fancy going to a match today '. But can't, because of the need to buy a ticket in advance.

I used to have mates that came to games every now and then, but have never been since tickets were introduced. Even if they were prepared to buy a ticket, they couldn't sit near me.

I'm sure many thousand of potential floaters just never bother now, just as I never bother going watching anyone else, unlike days gone by.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

322559[/snapback]

Yes and no re your more funds/st ratio Bob F - as EIT has said previously - its relatively small play as part of income nowadays - problem is that we are paying big bucks to average players (lesser product) which is what annoys - maybe not our fault but the state of Football at the moment.

I go on holiday tomorrow and am still undecided yet what to do about my S/T - but MB has hit it on the head when he says the club haven't really done anything to entice the floating fan to buy (regardless of price) never mind the exisiting S/T holders.

322574[/snapback]

1. It is small fry compared to the Sky money - but it all adds up. Another 2000 drop off in ST sales equates to approx £800,000 (£400 x 2k) - or half a Jon Stead. Or a players yearly wage. Yes it does annoy and I can see why people are getting fed up with it (me included) - but this is Hughes team is it? He hasn't bought these "average" players has he. And he intends to sort it out - but it'll take longer than this close season I'd imagine. BTW More than half the Premier League has average players.

2. I agree with that second paragraph. I suppose that when the club is left with 12,000 ST holders we'll eventually find our level. Maybe it needs to happen. Maybe Williams simply doesn't have anything positive to say after all - but then neither does anyone else other than Chelsea and two or three other teams.

And that's what make the Premier League the "Greatest In The World" - apparently.

Look, I ain't rushing to finish that fence and I'm sure there are things that you need to put off as well. Have a good holiday and I'll see you next season Capt. wink.gif

I'm considering buying a season ticket for the first time in ten years.

Only problem is I now live in Paisley, Scotland.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone north of the boarder who thinks they will be attending games on a fairly regular basis ,or, even better with a season ticket.

I'm not aware of any supporters associations up here, but do know there are Rovers supporters this side of the wall. So to discuss the possibility of car sharing, or ways to keep travel costs down PM me please.

Thanks

tinykit.gif

(Flopsy - what's Tom been up to in Blackpool?)

Hate to think what Sergeant Pringle (he passed the course) has been doing in Blackpool, im talking about my mate Dave who I usually get a lift with.

I feel that Rovers are again at the leading edge of football. Unfortunately this is the leading edge of apathy towards the Premiership and the general feeling that football is all about money. The number of people that I know (who support a variety of clubs) who are losing interesting is amazing (especially considering some support clubs with more money and success than Rovers)

Sky, who initially brought so much to the game, are now slowly killing it with over saturation, stupid kick off times and the uneven spread of wealth around football.

This isn't a Rovers specific problem - but will slowly spread around other clubs. Rovers biggest problem is that our fan base isn't big enough to allow for too much erosion in match day support.

Maybe Rovers need to look at something radical - like a standing area - to get some atmosphere back into the ground. The Riverside would seem the logical area to change to standing only - we could then see the glorious sight of fans moving from one side to the other as we changed ends smile.gif

Wife and I have both renewed, but more for the reason what else do you do with your spare winter time than watch Rovers why change or life now !

But i can understand why we are not attracting new fans.

1. They can watch loads of footie on the tele.

2. £400 a season ticket, i know its cheaper than most PL grounds but when most average fans are taking home £800 - £1000 a month, they have a mortgage, a house to run, kids to feed etc, £400 for a season ticket is a lot of money. Ok for single people living at home with mum and dad.

3. Rovers have not entertained the fans for how long ?

4 . We have no flair players thet excite the crowd.

5. As said many times before Blackburn is a low population area also it is not a rich area.

Look at the opposite end of the scale. Chelsea cheapest season ticket is about £800, the London area is heavily populated with high average incomes plus at the moment they are entetainers with flair players.

Even if we suddenly started playing great football and winning most home games our average crowd would only get to 25 or 26k. How many times did we sell out in 94/5 not very often.

It all comes down to finances. East Lancashire is not a rich area. As someone said earlier if season tickets were £200 each we would sell loads. Yes i believe we would and other income would be generated from Shirt sales and programme sales etc. All price increases do is alienate more and more customers who simply cannot afford the prices. Its great getting loads of kids in the ground at cheap prices, but a seat is a seat and if the club can afford really cheap seats for kids, they can also for adults. The club will say that kids are the future, not if they cant afford the adult prices when they become adults they arent. Sorry to go on but a seat is a seat and currently we are selling approx 18000- 20000 seats every home , how many seats would we sell if say the price was £15 for everybody regardless of age.

In all fairness, the Sky money is remarkably evenly divided (Chelsea earned less than double the bottom club from the Premiership this season) and the Prem didn't want the increased TV coverage which the EU forced on them in return for less revenue.

The uneven spread of wealth is caused by

- Blackburn being an impoverished area

- Blackburn being such a small place

which has always been the case

- UEFA's Champions League which has pushed the earnings of the English clubs in it into the stratosphere.

There is a general downwards trend in demand for the game- even Man U apparently are now only just selling out some games whereas previously they were massively over-subscribed. I doubt Sunderland will return to house full notices at the 48,000 seater Stadium of Light in the Prem next season.

What is missing at Ewood is the feel good factor.

We have been spoilt by recent success and do not get excited by the thought of merely surviving in the premiership.

I cannot see the buzz returning until we are involved in challenging for promotion.

Edited by tashor

I wrote back to Messrs Hughes and Williams and informed them that if they signed Craig Bellamy I would buy a Season Ticket. We'll see.

322370[/snapback]

I bet you're outnumbered by those who'll refuse to donate cash to the obnoxious sod and not renew ....

I bet you're outnumbered by those who'll refuse to donate cash to the obnoxious sod and not renew ....

"Therein lies the rub"

Speedie was also an obnoxious sod, but he was quite good for us.

Only time will tell.

Maybe Rovers need to look at something radical - like a standing area - to get some atmosphere back into the ground.

I agree totally! smile.gif

Years ago, during crap games (which we have plenty of) the Blackburn End used to entertain themselves with good natured banter, bouncing up & down, "you are my sunshine", the east-side the west side. It was all great fun. thumbs-up.gif

I`ve got 3 nephews in their early teens, who think going to the Rovers is boring sad.gif , cos they have to sit down & freeze their nads off. When i was their age, we at least had a laugh at the game.

That`s 3 future season ticket holders that BRFC will probably never have, because the game is slowly being suffocated.

A renewal of my ticket in JW upper central would be £540.

On perusing the season ticket pack it seems I could relocate to the family stand, (£385) and take my 2 daughters age 14 and 12 (£70 and £60) and still save £25!!! blink.gif

This doesn't seem right from the club's point of view somehow, almost like stealing money off them.

Not sure what this says about our prices, probably that the pricing for juniors is truly exceptional value, (too cheap really?) possibly also that the pricing in JW upper central is too expensive in comparison to the rest of the ground.

We need a ' Pay at the turnstile ' option. How many people wake up on a saturday morning and think ' I fancy going to a match today '. But can't, because of the need to buy a ticket in advance.

I used to have mates that came to games every now and then, but have never been since tickets were introduced. Even if they were prepared to buy a ticket, they couldn't sit near me.

I'm sure many thousand of potential floaters just never bother now, just as I never bother going watching anyone else, unlike days gone by.

322593[/snapback]

Are the floating fans that lazy they cant walk to the ticket office! withstupid.gif

isnt there a policy of trying to revert the games back to the more tradional time of 3pm for this coming season ? I am sure it was mentioned at the last SKY contract dealings.

My wife will tottle off down to Ewood am tomorrow to renew mine.

people can save money by changing seats etc, not ideal but how good it will be if we the lower darren end a sight fuller as the camera angle fails to pick up the Upper JW seating !

Just a thought.....

I'm sure most people on this site realise that we're currently in a very depressing downward trend in terms of season ticket sales. In my opinion we'll struggle to sell 13,000 this time around and home attendances will again take a hit like they've done for the past few years.

Many reasons can be put forward as to why we can't put bums on seats but undoubtedly the rubbish we've been watching recently is a major factor above all else I’d say. Even with reduced prices people just don't come to Ewood anymore and that’s a big worry.

I look around the league at teams with similar aspirations to us:

Bolton are going to sell-out of season tickets and are putting people on a waiting list.

Charlton are increasing the ground capacity because they can't fit everyone in that wants to come.

Why the hell are we not able to do the same? Or even get 25k home fans through the gate for the bigger games? We've had far more success in recent times than either of the teams mentioned but yet were getting out supported....

Like BF has already mentioned if you can't sell season tickets you'll not sign player like McCarthy or bellamy, we'll end up with Marcus bent again or someone of his ability.

It’s about time the town woke up to the realisation that we're not going to survive in this league without they're support. Unfortunately I can see us back in the championship in 3-4yrs time because we just can't continue like we are and gates falling is a major factor in this.

Maybe the championship is actually our level in terms of support and wages to reflect that support....... If we go down it'll be to late so we need the Blackburn public to act now.

PS,

Would never happen but an open letter in the Telegraph spelling out the need for the Blackburn public to come back to Ewood or face a very uncertain future in the top flight may prick a few consciences?

The club must take some criticism over their efforts to sell season tickets. If you aren't a current season ticket holder and haven't got access to the internet, you probably don't even know the season ticket prices, never mind the deadlines.

Where's the selling? Where's the master plan for improving the squad? What are the targets for next season - top half/bottom half? Is there any money available?

The silence is deafening. Tickets wont sell under those circumstances.

Has anyone seen any reason, why someone who didn't have a season ticket last season, should buy one this?

Edited by den

Was there any attempt at marketing the Rovers to the thousands who came to Ewood for the Women's games?

At the end of the day, it is the on-field product that will sell the STs.

That will critically depend on the summer signings and no doubt enormous efforts are going on behind the scenes to get the squad assembled in time for pre-season.

Given a hostile local council and a dead local media, I guess there is not a lot the Rovers can do until there is real news to whip up enthusiasm with.

However, looking at the degree of cynicism on this MB, Rovers could make a big coup and fols would just moan.

The club must take some criticism over their efforts to sell season tickets. If you aren't a current season ticket holder and haven't got access to the internet, you probably don't even know the season ticket prices, never mind the deadlines.

Where's the selling? Where's the master plan for improving the squad? What are the targets for next season - top half/bottom half? Is there any money available?

The silence is deafening. Tickets wont sell under those circumstances.

Has anyone seen any reason, why someone who didn't have a season ticket last season, should buy one this?

323151[/snapback]

Im sorry to say but a lot of those comments also go for existing season ticket holders. The season ticket pack sent out does nothing to encourage sales. The benifits shown on page 11, does not in anyway sell the ticket.

They dangle a carrot in the form of "much more to be announced soon"

Surely for a selling impact they should have had it sorted before now.

The only encouraging bit in the pack is Mark Hughes's comments on page 2.

It is easy for a manager to claim that "next season could be exciting" but in our case, I truly believe it to be a claim worth making.

After being starved of entertainment at Ewood, At the moment the only rational reason I can think of for renewing my ticket is to see if Hughes is right.

Others have mentioned this before but I'll mention it again 'cause I can. "Other" clubs start selling their Season Tickets when the season is still in full swing. Why don't we? I believe the answer is something like "We don't know which division we'll be in". Is that going to make a difference to the price? (It didn't last time - was it four extra games for the same money?).

So what you'll have is the Blackburn public stating that there is no way in the world that I'm buying a season ticket as we might be relegated yet. Then, when the near miracle happens and Mark Hughes keeps us up with games to spare, everyone is swept along on a wave of enthusiasm and renews and buys season tickets! It's easy!

But that "wave of enthusiasm" doesn't last long in Blackburn. Next thing it'll be the end of the season and people will want that big signing, want to know how much we have to spend, before considering S/T's. (BTW the club announcing that they have a transfer budget of (e.g.) £5.798 million isn't going to help us sign a Benni McCarthy or Craig Bellamy on the cheap)

They should at least give people the chance to buy ST's in March, April - just on the off chance that they might sell more, I very much doubt that it would have a negative impact on sales.

They should at least give people the chance to buy ST's in March, April - just on the off chance that they might sell more, I very much doubt that it would have a negative impact on sales.

323183[/snapback]

Totally agree sir,

Why not offer ST's for purchase that early, give a £20 discount on the price. Lets face it £20 isnt much to the club, but having a good amount of cash in early and the possibility of a small number of additionals. (Its surprising what a difference a relatively small incetive can make).

Was there any attempt at marketing the Rovers to the thousands who came to Ewood for the Women's games?

Just about every single poster site within the ground covered with season ticket stuff. In fact, even the bar staff were wearing season ticket t-shirts.

The programmes were produced by UEFA and there was no advertising of the usual products on the big screen. Let’s hope that those who came were potential Rovers fans. Judging by the amount of kids, the £70 junior season ticket (on many of the posters) will surely grab some interest.

Whilst I am on, I must say that alan75’s comment regarding the non-selling of season tickets to those who do not have one is surely a little wide of the mark. I remember last year bus after bus with adverts on and seeing ads at the back of the LET daily. What else do we think they should do? It’s a shame we always criticise but never give them any suggestions.

Edited by happygilmore

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.