BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City 0 Blackburn Rovers 0

Ricky

So here we go again. 1700 people are fortunate enough to be making the short trip to the City of Manchester Stadium. Once again we have managed to sell our allocation very quickly for this tie and it appears that we could have easily sold a considerably higher number of tickets.

Current Form

Rovers approach the game in good form, lying 4th in the current Premiership Form Table with 4 wins and 2 defeats in their last 6 games. Rovers goal scoring powers ;-) have also been highlighted with 12 league goals in these 6 games, second only to Chelsea in respect of goals scored. Manchester City are 9th in the Form table with 8 goals in their last 6 games.

Current Form (All Competitions)

ROVERS WLWWLW

CITY LWLWWL

Manchester City have been fairly strong at home this season and have recorded victories in their last 3 home games against Villa, West Ham, and Everton. Rovers have lost their last 2 away games at Chelsea and Liverpool (a result that may have been different if Zurab had stayed on the pitch)

Past Meetings

Rovers have had the better of the last few meetings, with Manchester City recording just one win in the last 7 matches between the two teams. Overall records show the following;

ROVERS 43 wins CITY 37 wins 23 Draws

The last 6 meetings have resulted in the following scorelines;

0-0

1-1 (Dickov 78 - Sibierski 45)

1-1 (Anelka 50 - Flitty 55)

2-3 (Sinclair OG 44, Amoruso 61 - Tarnat 4, Barton 59, Anelka 54)

1-0 (Dunn 13)

2-2 (Thompson 26, Cole 54 - Anelka 80, Goater 90)

Former Rovers

Obviously the one name that springs to mind is that of Andrew Cole. Cole arrived at the City of Manchester Stadium via Craven Cottage where he did a good job for a struggling Fulham side. He has got off to a perfect start for his new team scoring 5 goals so far. There was some talk of him returning to Ewood Park in the summer, a move that was greeted with some excitement by certain members of the BRFCS faithful. No doubt can be put on his ability, he has scored goals at the top level of football for all of his career and he has been lucky enough to win all of the major competitions in a hugely successful career.

Another name now associated with Manchester City is Tim Flowers. Flowers has been the goalkeeping coach at Manchester City since leaving a similar position at Leicester. The man with 'bottle' will always be remembered by Rovers fans as an integral part of the Premiership winning team of 94-95.

Players to Watch

Stuart Pearce has been keen to introduce a youthful look to his Manchester City Team. There were 4 homegrown players in the starting 11 against Fulham in their last Premiership encounter. The likes of Croft, Ireland, and Jordan have established themselves under Stuart Pearce and he even seems to have tamed Joey Barton, who is one of 4 players to have appeared in every premiership game this season. Musampa has been impressive to watch and creates a number of opportunity's for the strike duo of Vasselll and Cole, who have managed 10 goals between them this season.

Likely Line Ups

Manhester City have Joey Barton suspended for the first time this season, this will see a shuffle in the midfield with the possiblility of Claudia Reyna coming into the fold if fit. City also have question marks over the fitness of Musampa and Onouha. Expect to see Manchester City line up as follows;

James, Mills, Dunne, Distin, Jordan, Reyna,Musampa, Croft, Ireland, Cole, Vassell

Rovers have doubts over a few key players with Savage and Nelsen both struggling to shake off injuries in time for Saturday. Matteo may be fir but Micky Grey definately misses out. Expect to see Rovers line up as follows;

Friedel, Neill, Zurab,Todd,Gresko??,Pedersen, Savage, Tugay,Emerton, Bellemy, Dickov

After starting to write up the team I have absolutely no idea who we might play at left back. If Nelsen is fit we may see Neill at left back with Zurab on the right and a centre pairing of Todd and Nelsen.

I hope all those who have managed to get tickets have a good day out and cheer the team on to a great success.

tinykit.giftinykit.giftinykit.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well sound post ricky fairplay mate, bravo!!

after giving charlton a well good pasting last time out i've been looking forward to this game ever since.

As long as the lads on international duty come back alright with no injuries especially m.g.p, im thinking would can take the 3 points.

this one should be a good game, but i think their defence is weak and with david james between the sticks hopefully preforming some more embarrising calamities we could run away with this one and maybe hit another 4 with our players scoring with ease at the moment especially bellamy who is on fire!!

neil and emerton of cause doing all that travelling for australia's world cup play offs against uruagay, maybe rested for this one, depends really what state they are in when they return.

my team

friedel

neil zurab todd gresko

bentley tugay savage m.g.p

bellamy jansen

subs

emerton, lee, kuqi, dickov, reid

prediction

3.0 Rovers

tugay

m.g.p

bellamy

it would be happy days if matty got his first of the season though thumbs-up.gif

No Barton, no competition in mid-field. If Sibierski is put on as a last resort and try to do a Peter Crouch job (cannot hold the ball and is only a good header) then they may scrape a draw.

I'm going for a 2-2 draw with Cole and Vassel followed by Zurab and Pedersen. Bellamy to shine in the recovery on a dreary and very wet afternoon in Manchester.

Hope I'm wrong but Rovers aren't the finished article yet and won't turn in the exhilerating display of the Charlton game every time.

A frustrating low key nothing going quite right performance and a 2-0 defeat to put a damper on things I'm afraid.

Managed to acquire ticket in amongst the City fans, but also have to endure journey to ground on the Manc supporters bus from one of my local pubs…..going for a few beers in town after then train home, rather than travel back with that lot……unless we murder um…then it just might be worth it

Just got a ticket an hour ago! My mate rang from the ground to say that a few more have been allocated for some as yet unknown reason, so that's us sorted. Don't know whereabouts we are though.

Not expecting too much because one or two of our players are in the middle of frying bigger fish re: WC qualification.

Edited by thenodrog

Hope I'm wrong but Rovers aren't the finished article yet and won't turn in the exhilerating display of the Charlton game every time.

A frustrating low key nothing going quite right performance and a 2-0 defeat to put a damper on things I'm afraid.

360940[/snapback]

So, we are going to win!!

You had the same feeling just minutes before our last game started wink.gif

0-2

Bellamy and Emerton

rovers have a great chance to move up to 7= with city who will probably remain ahead on goal difference. west ham newcastle and charlton are all in tougher than the rovers this weekend. lets hope that they give themselves and the fans a tremendous boost in the confidence dept. by continuing this good patch of form.

1-2 for rovers mgp and bellers.

A gentle cycle ride for me to my local stadium.

It's a quite magnificent place for those of you who have never been there before, the big surprise is that the playing surface seems to be about 20m below ground level. You enter at ground level and the pitch is way down below. Quick mutterings of "water table" and "how the hell do they drain it" from those with the wherewithall.

Look out for the "B of The Bang"sculpture at the south east corner of the stadium. The tallest sculpture in the country - even taller than "The Angel Of The North" near Gateshead. The only problem is that bits keep falling off and threatening to impale passers-by. Have a look, it's impressive. But don't get too close.

Have a good trip everyone. I'll be back home before the lot of you. Which will make a nice change.

Prediction? Do I look like Lawro? What's the blooming point. If he, you or I were any good at it we'd all be retired to the Bahamas having scooped the Pools.

2-1 City

(Friedel ogs 2 - 1 James og)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.