BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jansen Rips Up Contract

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck to Matt, I wish him well wherever he goes (if he does go) and I will never forget the promotion season, and the season after in which he was robbed of an England place!

I Hope he stays, because I do think he will get a chance once we reach the 35 point barrier, and effectively safe, please Matty see out this season and re-assess in the summer!

Get yourself at Congleton Town Matt!! God knows they are crying out for a decent striker....

Seriously though good luck Matt, he's definatly my favourite player ive seen at

Rovers since ive been going and probably will be for a good while. Hope it all works out for him.

tinykit.gif

I think last season he played 4 and scored 4, something like that. He ended up with a better ratio than Dickov and Stead who played more games as they were our first choice strikers.

370590[/snapback]

Jansen last season played 8 scored 2

Dickov played 35 scored 10

Dickov has the better ratio and is much better value for money.

I very much appreciate what matty has done for us, in getting us to the premiership but I’d rather that he did nothing and got paid for it at another club as it is now obvious he has very little to offer us.

Good luck in the future rover.gifxmas.gif

That's simple, Rovers reserves has become more of a Rovers u20 after Sparky arrived. However, both Thommo and Todd has played a few matches, so I guess it's because the coaching staff believes the club will benefit more from playing our younger strikers (Jemal, Derbyshire, Barker, Garner etc.) for the reserves.

That's a few steps in the right direction I feel

- if it were up to me he'd get a testimonial.

370610[/snapback]

Well I for one am glad it isnt, I'd more likely go to Flitcrofts than his.

Jansen has had 3 years worth of wages when most players would have been sacked on the spot for breaking the terms of their contract by buggering about on a motorbike.

That said, I still hope that he can just scrape through and make it with us. I'll choose to remember the many good times we had when he was at his best; Cardiff and Preston being 2 of the best moments I have experienced with Rovers.

I didn't really think of the testimonial as a fundraiser for Matt Jansen, I was thinking more in the lines of a fine possibility to say goodbye to one of my all-time heroes! smile.gif

Strictly selfish thinking, in other words wink.gif

Edited by herbergeehh

In todays Sun it says Matt is ready to quit Rovers so has he actually left or what. There has been no official word from the club, so it could be all newspaper speculation. I think Hughes has been a fool and should have used Jansen alot more. If he is given the chance maybe he can show us what he's got left.

Good luck Matty.

What a player he was. So many great goals, from his debute against Tottenham, his stunner against Norwich was a fitting tribute for Uncle Jack, to his goal in the worthington cup final. He lead the line brilliantly throughout the promotion campaign and continued it into the Premiership. I can remember him tirelessly leading the line against Liverpool on his own in a 4-5-1 and scoring the equaliser. He had it all, pace, flair and a hard work ethic.

A true rovers legend.

As it is I think he'll make it again, though via the lower leagues. It's a no win situation at Rovers, we can't afford to play him until he gets better but he won't get better and regain his sharpness without games. If you look at his goals last season you can see that his talent the instinct is still there, but he needs games to get back to any sort of consistency. In a good team playing well at Championship level I reckon Matty will resurrect his carear. And goo luck to him.

Well I for one am glad it isnt, I'd more likely go to Flitcrofts than his.

Jansen has had 3 years worth of wages when most players would have been sacked on the spot for breaking the terms of their contract by buggering about on a motorbike. 

That said, I still hope that he can just scrape through and make it with us.  I'll choose to remember the many good times we had when he was at his best; Cardiff and Preston being 2 of the best moments I have experienced with Rovers.

370642[/snapback]

Think that's a bit harsh Ste. You don't know, as well as all the other members on here, what the terms of Matt's contract were. You also don't know the ins and outs of the accident itself. To say someone was 'buggering about' on a motorbike is a load of old shait too - he was a moped (apparently), not going very fast (apparently) and (presumably) wouldn't be 'buggering about' if he was on the verge of becoming an England player. We all know the guy is/was a sensible young lad, and it was simply an unfortunate accident.

And to say "he's had three years worth of wages...", well it wasn't exactly his fault that he wasn't being played and the club were bringing in his replacements!!! All credit to the guy for keeping his head down and working hard, but also not saying anything in the media when other players certainly would have.

Cheers for the memories Matt and ta-ra.

Not harsh at all. For anybody who makes their living through their body to risk it by hiring a moped in Rome is extremely stupid.

Also, as I think Rovers use the same basic contract for all of their players and it was certainly a prohibited activity on the contracts of the players that I know, I suspect we have gone above and beyond by not firing him on the spot.

Lovely guy. Could have been a great player. Ruined himself by stupidity. Got 3 years of wages for no return.

Not harsh at all.  For anybody who makes their living through their body to risk it by hiring a moped in Rome is extremely stupid. 

Also, as I think Rovers use the same basic contract for all of their players and it was certainly a prohibited activity on the contracts of the players that I know, I suspect we have gone above and beyond by not firing him on the spot.

Lovely guy.  Could have been a great player.  Ruined himself by stupidity.  Got 3 years of wages for no return.

370763[/snapback]

bloody hell!!!!!

1st post ive read off jan this year and im total agreement ...OMG!!!!hope its not a sign of things to come

Matty was a class act, he scored the goals that got us promoted and 1 of the goals that won us the worth cup, massive shame that Hughe didn't give him a proper chance to show what he can do.

370773[/snapback]

why did he not ??surley hes a better judge than me or thee.

good luck to him ...UNLESS HE ENDS UP AT NOBEND OR THE DINGLES .

And for the catty comments of people going on about how we have paid his wages for the last few years, maybe so, but aren't we still paying the wages of Flitcroft, Amoruso and players who haven't kicked a ball in anger for a long time. Could it not be they are just hanging round for the money?

370584[/snapback]

How can you name Flitty and Amoruso in the same context?

There is nothing wrong with Flitcroft's contribution to this club. It's his last year, he is still available for selection and he has been an excellent servant. Whats wrong with that?

Oh and to the best of my knowledge he has not wilfully and stupidly broken the terms of his contract and negated any insurance claim that we may heve wanted to make has he?

In todays Sun it says Matt is ready to quit Rovers so has he actually left or what. There has been no official word from the club, so it could be all newspaper speculation. I think Hughes has been a fool and should have used Jansen alot more. If he is given the chance maybe he can show us what he's got left.

370716[/snapback]

According to the LET today,the chairman and Jansen's representative will meet on Wednesday and according to the reporter, Jansen's wish to leave the club is likely to be granted.

That said, I still hope that he can just scrape through and make it with us.  I'll choose to remember the many good times we had when he was at his best; Cardiff and Preston being 2 of the best moments I have experienced with Rovers.

370642[/snapback]

I don't think this is harsh at all. If I had a accident which left me unable to do my job then I'm damn sure my employers wouldn't carry on paying me for three years!

If Hughes felt Matty had anything to offer he would have given him a chance but you can hardly drop a player who desrves his place in the team/squad to give Matty an opportunity, you have to pick the players on merit.

I really like Matty, I just wish he had never got on that bloody moped but I'm sure he must think that every day.

As for him breaking the terms of his contract by getting on a moped, as i have said on here once before, wasn't it a couple of pre seasons ago that Tugay was knocked of a bike which resulted in thankfully just bruising. And Souness was quoted as saying that it would be the last time that he allowed any of his players to ride a bike. Maybe thats why they didn't sack him, at least Matty was sensible enough to wear a helmet whilst on the bike, if not for that it could have been alot worse.

And while Flitcroft is up for selection, the same can be said for Jansen who whilst he isn't playing isn't actually costing us anything.

If the point is that Jansen wasn't sacked after riding a moped in Rome, because the club is presumably soft; how does Tugay being allowed to ride a bike without a helmet negate that point in any way?

370829[/snapback]

Tugay was very lucky but got away with it and it didn't affect his game at all. However matt didn't get any luck and he almost died and as such could and probally should have been dismissed. But the club held faith with him (all credit to us for that) and he has scored some crutcial goals for us. However there is no doubting it's matt jansen 1-0 rovers and now its full time.

Jansen can go off and try and do something with his career and rovers do not have to sack him or let his contract run out. It's a win win situation.

Jansen was very stupid and it's cost him a potential career with england.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.