BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boycott Bolton

I read the Bolton Evening News for my sins the other night, there was an article in there with statements from their club in Horwich, it was comparing their bad attendances to ours and making some observations about ticket prices, Bolton are seemingly not going to cut ticket prices even though we let them in at our place for 15 notes and despite the match being on Sky.

TBH I'm getting sick of these greedy gets that just keep ripping us off, yes I'd like to support my team as I always do but £39 for the Breezeblock is just a huge urine take, had a chat with my mates who I goto away matches with and who sit in the BBE with me and they agree we should do something about it.

I just ain't prepared to pay it this year, the grounds horrible with no atmosphere outside of our end and the facilities are rubbish with no service.

Any thoughts & do you reckon the Bolton guys join in to make a statement to their greedy owners?

It get's worse, was trying to find the original article and I found this:

i.e. Intiatives for home fans only and NOT for our game as we'll bring a few !!!!

BOLTON Wanderers have made fresh moves to boost crowds at the Reebok with a cut price ticket offer.

Season ticket holders can take friends or family members to the upcoming Premiership games against Charlton Athletic and Fulham for £5 apiece.

The "Bring a Mate" deal represents a saving of up to £24 per game and is aimed at stemming the tide of falling attendances, which have seen crowd figures at the Reebok fall dramatically this season.

Advertisement continued...

The initiative for the two fixtures - the Charlton game has been re-scheduled for Wednesday, January 31 (kick off 8pm) and the Fulham game will be played on Sunday, February 11 (kick off 1.30pm) - follows the experiment in December when season ticket holders had the chance to buy additional tickets for the home game against West Ham at £15 each.

"The initiative for the West Ham game was very successful, so we have decided to make a similar offer for the Charlton and Fulham games," a Wanderers' spokesman said.

"We feel the reduced prices will be an attractive proposition for our loyal season ticket holders to bring along family and friends to savour the atmopshere of a Premiership game. We aren't expecting the biggest gates for these games because we don't expect Charlton and Fulham to bring massive support, so this is a great opportunity to give something back to our season ticket holders."

The anctipated demand for the cut price tickets has prompted Wanderers to recommend season ticket holderes to use the online ticketing facility at www.bwfc.co.uk, entering their client reference number to purchase additional tickets.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although a fan boycott is commendable (and quite understandable) it'd hurt them much more if the situation was reported in the national press. If the opening post on here was to be sent to the nationals I'm sure there'd be enough interest to get some kind of coverage. At the very least this should embarrass the ****ers and at best force them into a rethink.

All that a boycott in itself will do will add fuel to the fire that we're a small town club, no support blah blah blah...

While them charging that kind of money after the deal we offered would seem churlish in return it seems they haven't actually decided on ticket prices for our match yet anyway.

On here - Latest Ticket Information there is no mention of the Rovers game at all.

We don't play them for almost two months! Maybe should wait and actually see what the prices are before getting all offended?

I was reading that article in the Bolton evening news. a couple of days ago.

The season ticket holders aren't pleased with the offer of "bring a friend for a fiver". As one fan says [in the reader comments at the bottom of the page], it's great for the friend but worthless for the loyal fan who put £400 forward as his loyalty payment at the beginning of the season.

The Bolton prices are something BRISA has brought up with the club and is waiting for another response.

I think initially it was said that Bolton would not be slashing prices for the return match back at theirs, however, now it's been chosen for sky coverage I would have thought it would encourage their board to re-think.

Last season was one of our worst (numbers wise) followings to Bolton for many a year. If they don't reduce the tkt prices then, with it being on TV I can see a pathetic 500 following. Surely that in itself suggests there is something sadly wrong with the game today.

The season ticket holders aren't pleased with the offer of "bring a friend for a fiver". As one fan says [in the reader comments at the bottom of the page], it's great for the friend but worthless for the loyal fan who put £400 forward as his loyalty payment at the beginning of the season.

The Bolton prices are something BRISA has brought up with the club and is waiting for another response.

Right well lets employ a bit of lateral thinking here. What about rewarding ST holders and promoting the club at the same time? The computer age makes this easy. Charge £15 for any casual walk-on ticket bought by a ST holder for guests and then in summer knock £5.00 off next years ST for the current holder for each ticket purchased for games this season. :tu: Commision / Retrospective rebate call it what you want but as I've said before there is a potential sales force of 13000 people at BRFC. And what company can boast that in this day and age?

Play with the figures but consider the principle before you all shoot me down in flames.

First I have to say we aren't going anyway. We started to boycott Bolton about 3-4 years back when they gave a very small concession allocation for kids in the lower tier, which sold out very fast. Then when the next batch of tickets was made available there were no concessions in the upper tier, tried to stiff us for £168. Since then I have refused to go to the Reebok. Secondf I'm away that weekend kart racing.

It's a bit early to make a fuss. I reckon the tickets will be on sale either February 4th or 11th and until we know the price there isn't anything to base a boycott on. If it proves to be £39 I would personally urge everyone to stay at home or go to the pub.

This isn't specific to the Bolton game but to any that try and rip the fans off...

If Rovers fans are willing to pay silly money at away games they are in effect supporting (financially) that other club and at the expense of our team. Their fans don't pay Rovers that so our fans shouldn't subsidise their team unfairly. If any club charges far more for their home game against us than we do against them (maybe ignoring the special offers we do for some games as that isn't the usual pricing structure) then Rovers fans should think about if it is worth helping a club cheat our on own club and our fans in that way.

Listening to Talksport. The guy reporting on the Bolton v City game has mentioned the swaithes (sp?) of empty seats in the home & away ends. He also mentioned the city fans boycott.

GOOD! :tu: glad some fans are finally taking some action against the greed of football clubs.

If tickets are to be £39 then that is an absolute joke. What exactly are we paying for? El Hadji Diouf's new dummy? Kevin Davies' next truck load from Holland's? It certainly isn't entertainment.

For me to go with my dad and brother this trip to Bolton would cost over £120. How any club in the entire North of England can justify these prices is totally beyond me.

I'm pleased however that fans are starting to see the sense in football prices. Manchester City (in my opinion) were going to be one of the clubs whose fans were going to be the toughest to persuade that they are paying too much. Month by month though, there are more and more clubs that are failing to sell out. We now have Rovers, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Manchester City and Charlton who are seeing their attendances drastically affected. Unfortunately, it may not be until the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Man United and Liverpool start regularly showing empty seats that we see anything done about it.

Guest fernhurstblue

a quick look on the bolton website shows that the Rovers match is a CAT B (tbc by the club) ..... the most expensive ticket is 32 quid, after last season would they notice if we did boycott the match? :ph34r:

a quick look on the bolton website shows that the Rovers match is a CAT B (tbc by the club) ..... the most expensive ticket is 32 quid, after last season would they notice if we did boycott the match? :ph34r:

Well that is the thing. For it to be recognised as anything other that 'rovers have a crap away following' it has to be a proper boycott and noone turn up. Which unfortunately wont happen.

I heard that City had only a few fans there today, not even 1,000 is that true?

Dunno the numbers but the boycott because of Boltons excessive pricing policy was highlighted on MoTD. Yet another dong in the ding dong battle between Allardyce and the Beeb.

£39 is crazy, but we charged Liverpool £36 on Boxing Day.

I was going to say much the same. Everyone is up in arms about the possibility of having to pay 39 quid at the Reebok but no-one seems to mind too much charging Liverpool Man Ure Everton Arsenal etc a similar price.

You can't really have it both ways.

Archived