BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Arsenil

Here is a hastily thrown together preview for the upcoming match.I beleive we would all agree the whole of us wanted Bolton to win last night for numerous reasons.Despite late on heroics sending the match to extra time the Arsenal machine was victorious.So it is off to the Emirates again where no Rovers fan really wants to remember the previous outcome.In fact,as I recall,after our loss to them on Januray 13 at Ewood there was a sentiment expressed by the coaching staff and the players that "at least we won't have to play THEM agains this year".As is also said,"football is a funny old game"and so we find ourselves up against a tema who would seem to be our bogey team this year and in recent history.

Speaking of history,we have met Arsenal 6 previous times in the FA Cup and won twice.The most obvious memory is of our day out in Cardiff 2 years ago in the Semi-Final where we lost by a score of 3-0 (memorable to most of the neutral football world for Andy Todd's accidental elbow of Robin Van Persie).Our meeting before that was in the 6th round in the 2000-2001 campaign at Highbury where we were buried 3-0.One would have to go back 40 plus years to see the next match and most recent win for Rovers against this lot.1966 January in the 3rd round home at Ewood saw us triumph with a scoreline of ...............you guessed it......3-0.For the next match you would turn back the pages another almost 40 years to 1928.This was a special one though.We met in the Semi-finals and eeked out a 1-0 win (singing"1-0 to the Rovers,1-0 to the Rovers" doesn't have that same ring as THEIR mor famous chant does it?) en route to our glorious victory over Huddersfield Town for our most recent FA Cup tophy.Glory Days.OK,back to the history books:1926 saw us lose at Highbury in the 4th round by a score of........you alsmost guessed it didn't you.........3-1.Rounding out our meetings in this competition,1901 February saw us lose away in the first round 1-0.

So what do we expect for Saturday?"You can expect nothing Rovers fan and like it!" this would be the prevailing sentiment.However,football being the funny ol game it is i present you with 3 choices for a scoreline

a)3-0 Arsenal(seems a popular choice)

B)1-0 Arsenal (so they can sing their silly song)

c)1-1 forcing a replay(late header from Andy Todd off a corner kick )

As for me ,i can't see any way for a Rover victory but I consider myself a bit optimistic so i am going for the score draw to force a replay at Ewood.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we get a draw at least we will be milking the cash cow.... Downside is the physical strain on our players as we cant field 11 players from the reserves....

I'll be optimistic. I think we can nick it. 1-2 scoring the late on after Arsenal in the 60 minute level the score from our early lead. Scores will be Emerton, aladiere and todd

Some of you are letting the embarrassment of the 6-2 outing colour your judgement.

We are going to lose but not in the cringeworthy manner of last time.

A gooner co-worker friend told me today that Arsenal will score at least 4 past us.

Got her to put her money where her mouth is.

2-0 Arsenal <_<

This fixture is simply one too early for a tired and injury hit Rovers side....Rovers to go down to a heavy defeat I'm afraid.

This of course will be to the complete and utter orgasmic joy of the BBC commentators who will be creaming themselves at the brave, noble and gallant Arsenal . <_<

<_< indeed!

Watching the game with the sound off takes care of that.

It's not as bad as it sounds and I found you get a better sense of the game without the distraction of sound....

... and the nauseating sycophantic commentary!

I remain insanely optimistic. Remember Naim in the Cup Winners Cup final? 2-1 with Tugay to score the winner from 30 yards out in injury time!

Realistically though playing Arsenal for me has become like a trip to the dentist, you don't want it to happen and you dread it for days. There are 2 stay away gooners at work who are getting so cocky it makes me sick, why are there so many of these type of fans around? My joke with them is I've actually seen Arsenal play! I'm getting sick of playing them. I want it done and dusted on Saturday.

However, if I could chose one win out of the next 2 games it will be the UEFA cup match on Thursday.

Our only slim hope I feel is to having mobility throughout the side of Saturday. Arsenal move the ball around so quickly that we have to be able to close down and track back effectively.

Unfortunately this means no place in my opinion for Dunn and Tugay. I feel Emerton should be pushed up to right wing. This allows Bentley to partner the Axe in the centre. For all his major faults we have to risk the Axe. On the left I'd give Peter a major chance to impress. If Hughes doesnt agree I'd play either Warnock or Berner there, whichever is more suited to makeshift midfielder.

At the back, I'd put Zurab at RB. As for who partners The Admiral take your pick of Toddy or Samba. I don't fancy either of them.

We're gonna get mullered !

I feel Emerton should be pushed up to right wing. This allows Bentley to partner the Axe in the centre. For all his major faults we have to risk the Axe.

I don't know. Bentley is outstanding on the right but always looks a bit lost in the centre. And I would say he is even more lightweight than Dunn and Tugay.

Moving Bentley from the right could mess with our one genuinely damaging player at the moment.

I know what you mean Joey. I just think trying to get either Dunn or Tugay to be chasing after the likes of Fabregas in midfield would lead to us being cut open through the middle. At least Bentley is fairly quick and can keep going. If we had any other mobile midfielder I'd have him out on the right straight away but we haven't.

Normally I'm a firm believer of picking your best side and letting the opposition worry about you rather than changing to counteract them. Unfortunately I think we've already seen this season that our system actually plays into their hands a bit.

I may take a bit of stick for this as I did with the Charlton game. Everyone knows the assortment of problems we have. We know that we are likely to be cut to pieces. Someone has posted on the other thread that if we played Arsenal 100 times at the Emirates under current circumstances we would probably lose 80.

So why the hell are Arsenal only 1-2 to win this game on Betfair? I'd expect them to be that price if we had a full strength squad, not with a patched up mix and match team.

This is going to be a slaughtering like none other I'm afraid. If we try to defend we'll get torn to pieces, but maybe keep things a little bit more respectable, like say 3-0 to the gunners. If we go and try to bring the game to them like last time, we might just get another goal, but I don't even what to think about how many they'll score. I'm sorry for the utter hopelessness here but I just see no way out. Away to Arsenal is pretty much my biggest footballing nightmare right now.

I think we should try to keep everyone that will figure in the Leverkusen 2nd leg out of the Arse game. Seriously! we can't hope to beat arse AND make progress in the EUFA Cup all within less than a week. We have to decide which competition means the most to us and also which holds the best chance of success.

Just send the reserves with any seniors that won't be needed for the EUFA match, such as Mokoena (Suspended for EUFA but eligible for FA Cup).

I don't go with all the doom and gloom that we're bound to get mullered on Saturday, however I think it is essential we win at least one of the Arsenal/Leverkusen games if the season isn't to tamely fizzle out.

And it won't be the one at the Emirates UNLESS we can start defending in a sensible manner - certainly much better than last night.

I would very much like to see us play a scrappy starting eleven tomorrow, or at least have some firepower on the bench. (Dunn, Tugay, Roberts?)

Impact players are underrated, we need hardworking players from minute one - and that touch of class to come on in the 60th minute to give us that needed creativity. Alternatively, go full throttle from the start, get a goal and continue to run them ragged all over the pitch. Sadly, I don't think we have the capacity for that, and we all know that Arsenal is a better side when it comes to playing short passes and one-on-one movement.

Get the grit back!

This is going to be a slaughtering like none other I'm afraid. If we try to defend we'll get torn to pieces, but maybe keep things a little bit more respectable, like say 3-0 to the gunners. If we go and try to bring the game to them like last time, we might just get another goal, but I don't even what to think about how many they'll score. I'm sorry for the utter hopelessness here but I just see no way out. Away to Arsenal is pretty much my biggest footballing nightmare right now.

Tell me about it. Makes it worse when your brother is an Arsenal fan.

0-1 Rovers

Friedel 90'

Come on lads - have some faith!

There's faith and there's delusion... :blink:

It's going to be a mauling I'm afraid.. especially as we are more than likely to have an eye on the return UEFA leg...

Archived