• Warnock
    • Betnley
    • Tugay
    • Mokoena
    • Pedersen
    • McCarthy
    • Santa Cruz
    • Dunn

Just a small point but as Sunderland kicked off for the first half I presume that we won the toss and chose to attack the Blackburn end, against the biting wind and against our usual choice of ends.

Why?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think many people are taking the conditions into account when they're complaining about the quality of the game. First half as BBDU mentioned, rovers were kicking into a gale, - that's probably why rovers kicked towards the BBE first half, hoping to take advantage in the second. Someone mentioned that we used the long ball too much that half, - well you can't do much else in those circumstances. The priority is to clear your lines, which in itself is difficult.

Second half, the wind dropped completely. Did no-one notice how calm it was coming out of the ground? That was the reason for a much more even second half. Having said that, it still wasn't easy. Even Bentley couldn't play his usual game on that surface. The conditions all contributed to even things up, because our ball players couldn't play the way they like and that suited the Mackems down to the ground.

The booing off, of our players at half time was the height of ignorance IMO!

Speaking of booing,there was one guy on row 12 BBE lower seat late 20`s who started booing Rovers after the FIRST 10 mins!

Hence i told him if he didn`t like it to f**k off to the dingledome (at least he would have something to moan about!) :D

I don't think many people are taking the conditions into account when they're complaining about the quality of the game. First half as BBDU mentioned, rovers were kicking into a gale, - that's probably why rovers kicked towards the BBE first half, hoping to take advantage in the second. Someone mentioned that we used the long ball too much that half, - well you can't do much else in those circumstances. The priority is to clear your lines, which in itself is difficult.

Second half, the wind dropped completely. Did no-one notice how calm it was coming out of the ground? That was the reason for a much more even second half. Having said that, it still wasn't easy. Even Bentley couldn't play his usual game on that surface. The conditions all contributed to even things up, because our ball players couldn't play the way they like and that suited the Mackems down to the ground.

The booing off, of our players at half time was the height of ignorance IMO!

Fair point Den. Still doesn't excuse the fact Sunderland completely outworked and outplayed us in the 1st half especially in midfield. Although they didn't particularly threaten us they still managed to string passes together, which is more than could be said for us.

Does anyone else think that part of the problem with poor overall performances arising from our shape? It can be a complete mess at times.

There seems to be a few potential reasons for this, I think.

Bentley straying off his wing. I've no problem with giving the opposition additional issues to deal with by roaming a little, but there were times when the right wing was gaping and Bentley was out holding MGP's hand. In addition this congests the middle of the field and plays right into some opponents hands as this is exactly what they want to do. This also results in ineffective long ball play from ourselves.

Emo is then sometimes pushing on a lot to makes use of the space (not that we often pick him out when he does, anyway) which is leaving us with effectively 3 at the back at times, which must be unsettling and leaves holes for the opposition to exploit on the right or through the channels if one of the centrebacks covers.

Bentley's free role type play also appears unsettling as we can't be sure where he is most of the time. The easy outlet ball down the wing no longer exists and you see defenders dallying on the ball, which happened quite a bit last night again.

Also I thought that Tugs and the Axe seem to play too deep and we surrender the centre of the park as a result. With Tugs collecting the ball from Samba from 5 yards that also reduces the bodies ahead of the defence.

So at times we had Tugs stood in defence with Emo down where a winger should be and Bents all over the place.

Views?

Fair point Den. Still doesn't excuse the fact Sunderland completely outworked and outplayed us in the 1st half especially in midfield. Although they didn't particularly threaten us they still managed to string passes together, which is more than could be said for us.

I don't think they outplayed us LD. Due to the conditions [well 90%] they pinned us into our own half.

all round, a very poor performance. first half playing into the wind, we decided to go the long ball route, food and drink to their centre halves as it was for ours in the second half.

Isn't long ball inevitable when Mokoena plays? Whether you love or hate him, everyone will acknowledge that he isn't very comfortable on the ball. So despite playing deep, the centre halfs are more likely to pump the ball longer than pass to him.

Dire performance, freezing cold, long day, tired, thoroughly p'd off

GOONIGHT

Alan75 - Newsdesk

Is it really that cold in Los Angeles Alan ?!

Well done to all of you that braved the cold, couldn't go last night, had to babysit my two nieces in Darwen. In the second half I nipped out for petrol and drove down to Nuttall Street. Parking the Citroen near the Darwen End (engine running - heater on full) I legged it over to the big barrier and peered inside just as Dirty Dwight got his marching orders. As the icicles formed on me 'ooter I got back in the car.

Swear to God, Penguins were gathered in circles together outside Levers against the wind - you are all to be applauded.

I don't think they outplayed us LD. Due to the conditions [well 90%] they pinned us into our own half.

Agreed. The wind really did make good football impossible in the first half. In the corner of the Blackburn End and Jack Walker stand the ball was alternately hanging up in the wind or racing out of play on a gust of wind, making controlled play almost impossible. I thought Sunderland started strongly and had a good first 10-15 minutes but after that we gained some measure of control. The conditions were largely responsible for us not turning this into pressure and chances but we rarely troubled after the first 15 minutes.

Does anyone else think that part of the problem with poor overall performances arising from our shape? It can be a complete mess at times.

Bentley straying off his wing. I've no problem with giving the opposition additional issues to deal with by roaming a little, but there were times when the right wing was gaping and Bentley was out holding MGP's hand. In addition this congests the middle of the field and plays right into some opponents hands as this is exactly what they want to do. This also results in ineffective long ball play from ourselves.

Emo is then sometimes pushing on a lot to makes use of the space (not that we often pick him out when he does, anyway) which is leaving us with effectively 3 at the back at times, which must be unsettling and leaves holes for the opposition to exploit on the right or through the channels if one of the centrebacks covers.

Bentley's free role type play also appears unsettling as we can't be sure where he is most of the time. The easy outlet ball down the wing no longer exists and you see defenders dallying on the ball, which happened quite a bit last night again.

Also I thought that Tugs and the Axe seem to play too deep and we surrender the centre of the park as a result. With Tugs collecting the ball from Samba from 5 yards that also reduces the bodies ahead of the defence.

So at times we had Tugs stood in defence with Emo down where a winger should be and Bents all over the place.

Views?

Davis Betnley has to go after the ball coz no-one else is going to create anything.

I think out main problems are:

Emerton is a crap right-back (defensively) (see numerous goals conceded from our right side)

Nelsen is too slow and poor in the air at present (see build up to their pen last night)

Samba's marking and positioning is poor at times (oppo centre forwards keep scoring while unmarked, see WHU or Villa)

Mokoena has a total inability to control/pass the ball.

It doesn't help the at Tugay keeps passing it to him on the half way line with his back to goal and 2 men around him.

Pedersen is unable to get a cross past the first defender and all his passes are blocked.

McCarthy is short of confidence (but signs of improvement last 2 games)

Dunn gives the ball away too much (but at least he does it trying to go forward)

Ooijer is injured

Reid still regaining his touch

Roberts is sulking, as is Savage

Derbyshire needs to improve but might be worth a run of games.

Apart from that......

We have to create more than 1 shot on target at home to Sunderland.

I said the same thing to my mate last night.

I think the absence of a quality attacking CENTRAL midfielder is costing us dear,i noticed both Pedersen and Bentley constantly being pulled into the centre to try and get hold of the ball.

I thought the main difference last night was the fact Sunderland kept their shape and we didn`t,which was unusual for us.

The main reasons for us being hard to beat whilst Hughes has been in charge have been down to good organisation and putting `round pegs into round holes` so to speak,ie:everybody knows exactly what their job is and they stick to a set formation week in week out.

At times this season opposing teams have ploughed through the centre of our midfield with embarassing ease.

Views?

I don't mind the Bentley free role, it clearly causes the opposition all sorts of problems. Mokoena and Tugay do indeed sit too deep though. They shouldn't be playing together - one likes to sit infront of the back four and break up play, the other likes to sit infront of the back four and dictate play. The result is that there isn't a meaningful challenge put in until the opposition are 30 yards away from goal. This huge gap between the midfield and the forwards is why Santa and Benni aren't hitting it off - they're rarely in the same area of the pitch as Benni has to drop off if he wants to sniff the ball.

I don't mind the Bentley free role, it clearly causes the opposition all sorts of problems.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him finding a soft place in the opposition to exploit, but sometimes that soft place is on the right wing!

Diabolical game, Sunderland are terrible, which is nice after spending the whole summer reading about Roy the Messiah!

I have to hold my hands up here and say that I fell into the trap of assuming that Keane was the real deal after Sunderland's success in the Championship. However, his team's ugly (and relatively ineffective) football combined with his dubious transfer activity would suggest that Mr Keane isn't up to much. Whilst Jones, Chopra, Gordon were expensive but, at the time, reasonable signings - the fact that elsewhere Keane has plumped for ex-team mates displays a clear lack of knowledge in the transfer market. Ian Harte!

Whilst I accept the conditions last night might have played a part we were awful, especially in the first half. We couldn't control or keep the ball,first touch was appalling, we kept getting caught in possession and our only tactic was long to Santa Cruz. It reminded me of the first half at Wigan except that there we got punished and went 3-0 down. People who wondered why the team took so much stick from those that attended the JJB despite the fightback with 10 men might now understand.

The big positive is that we picked up 3 points when we didn't really deserve anything.

I think the 1st half - both teams were terrible and the weather didnt help. We did start playing abit more for the last 15 mins of the half but nothing special.

2nd half - both teams better, however I felt we only played at the level we felt necessary to win the game, we could have won that game easily if we had played properly but after 1-0 it was like a training match.

Tugay & Mokoena together dont work, because they are too deep and both like to go backwards and play pointless little passes.

Pedersen improved abit, but he would be best sticking to the line, and he will start finding alot more space.

McCarthy did well in my opinion and alot of the stick he kept getting from those around me was unfair, yes he doesnt chase back alot, but last night he was doing alot of the midfielders work. He is a striker, not a midfielder.

Nelsen is a major worry and how he got man of the match I dont know! Yes he won alot of headers but he always looks dodgy on the ball. He has been our poorest performer of the last 6 games I would say. Id rather see Zurab & Samba given a chance.

Also it would of been good to see Treacy get 20 mins last night, that was a shame for the lad, as I though against 10 men, Sunderland looked clueless and it would of given him a taste.

Tugay & Mokoena together dont work, because they are too deep and both like to go backwards and play pointless little passes.

Pedersen improved abit, but he would be best sticking to the line, and he will start finding alot more space.

As I've said in the midfield pairing thread, the second point about Pedersen didn't happen last night because of the first point. Bentley and Pedersen were coming infield to plug the hole that the central midfielders should be moving into.

Mokoena seems to be a lucky omen tho...!? Had a quick look on soccerbase and he's played in 20 games this season and we've won 13 of those losing only 4! :blink:

I think it's the Mark Atkins syndrome - everyone used to slate his performance but we always missed him when he wasn't there. Mokoena does the stuff which isn't pretty or memorable but which needs doing, breaking up the play, getting the ball back, protecting the defence. He wasn't brilliant last night but he did the job he's paid for and helped to get us back in the game after a very poor first 20 minutes.

Agree entirely o2g. That's 2 of us versus the rest of the mboard.

I agree with you, but the the way I feel is that we could get a player who could do the Mokoena role and pass a bit. If you have players who can only do one thing it makes life very difficult, particularly when we don't have a very creative central midfielder who can run the game alongside him (Tugay isn't up to that). Mokoena and Savage both contribute to the team in very ugly but efficient ways. If neither of them plays then we have a bit of a problem. If Savage goes then a player of that mold has to be brought in.

Agree entirely o2g. That's 2 of us versus the rest of the mboard.

Make that 4. I've never had a problem with Mokoena, I'd go so far as to say his game has improved since he arrived at Ewood. In particular he's much more likely to make a forward pass than when he signed. He does the job he's paid to do, it's not glamorous, but one that needs doing. Saying that I worry whenever he's forced into the CH position for some reason.

WHAT THE FOOK WAS THE AXE DOING ON THE PITCH

Matches my opinion exactly. When you need to break forward quickly he is one misplacing a pass or passing it backwards when there is no need to. Mind you Dunny didn't look great when he came on, spent most of his time running in circles with the ball instead of pushing on.

MGP should be dropped for the FA Cup game and get Treacy in. The striker situation is now a problem and shortly the CM area will be the same. Benni is the only fit CF and Rigters looks set for a loan move out. Gally has returned but i'm not sure he is up to much these days. It could be a case of Rafa having to step up to the plate. As for CM Reid is injured again, Sav is leaving, Axe is off to africa and hopefully will depart. That leaves us with Dunn and Tugs :blink:

Most of the games this week have been generally poor. Me thinks it is one game too many over the Christmas period. 3 matches in 6 days at the intensity the game is now played is asking a lot. I`m sure that`s why Sants has picked up his groin injury and many others on both teams looked shattered by the end. Cant begin to guess what the team for Saturday will be.

Archived