BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The link to Villanueva got me really excited...then I realised that we are Blackburn Rovers and are sure to cock this one up.

Ditto. I'd be absolutely thrilled and over the moon if we were to sign Castillo and Villanueva - both look like extremely interesting prospects. Can't help thinking that we'll cock one of them up, or maybe even both, though!

I think we'll hang onto Roque. I'm sure he'd like a move to a big club but if we rejected a bid I don't think he'd kick up that much of a fuss.

Me too and if we can get Castillo and Villanueva signed up I reckon it will show Santa that we looking to improve, all this talk about our best players leaving must be unsettling at the moment :(

There wouldn't be any problems acquiring a work permit for the South American lads would there?

They look like they both have played in enough of their countries games recently and both nations are in the top 75, so it should be fine.

It looks like agent talk...the bottom line is he was sold to Real Sociedad a couple of weeks ago but it fell through when they failed to come up with the cash.

And I think you CAN compete with Real Sociedad.

Sorry Nicko, the link was for Real Madrid buying him in January 2008 with the article written back in December 2007. Just wondered if Real Madrid would still be interested and why they ended up not buying him in the January transfer window as that article suggested would happen.

I have no doubt we can compete with Sociedad.

So, when do you think he will arrive for his trial............ :unsure:

I think we'll hang onto Roque. I'm sure he'd like a move to a big club but if we rejected a bid I don't think he'd kick up that much of a fuss.

I hope so, but I think in the current climate that there will probably be a bid. Anyway, don't get concerned about it.

There are some interesting arrivals to focus on.

Robinson for Brad = replacing old for young

Andrews = Dont think he'll play more of a squad player

Fowler = Experienced and could help our other strikers

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Nicko what are your opinions on the Brad for Robinson deal? don't think you've mentioned it on here yet....

Sparky always stated 'My squad is fine. Any signings will be to improve the team.' Sure he flopped with Rigters and Berner but overall he kept his powder dry to attract the top players. Dunno what anybody else thinks but it seems to me that up to now Ince is doing completely the opposite.

I hope so, but I think in the current climate that there will probably be a bid. Anyway, don't get concerned about it.

There are some interesting arrivals to focus on.

No point in focussing on new arrivals, however interesting, if we keep having to replace the rest of the team. The current squad are at least proven in terms of being able to play in our league and compete with the big boys, even our worst players have shown some ability to do that. Newcomers may or may not be able to play here. Therefore it's very important that we keep at least some of our better players. If warnock and santa Cruz go as well as friedel and Bentley, then where do we stop? Will we end up with 11 new starters on august 16th?

Sparky always stated 'My squad is fine. Any signings will be to improve the team.' Sure he flopped with Rigters and Berner but overall he kept his powder dry to attract the top players. Dunno what anybody else thinks but it seems to me that up to now Ince is doing completely the opposite.

Friedel WANTS to leave, so that isn't our/Ince's fault.**

Andrews seemingly isn't on our radar (according to John Williams in the LT)

Hughes signed Jeffers in much the same way Ince is looking at Fowler.

**Although the club should perhaps have paid a bit more heed to the fact that it was always initially going to be open season on our players after letting Hughes and his team walk out with so little resistance. The new manager was always going to be sticking his finger in the dam at first, whoever it was.

Let's hope you didn't just trigger one ;)

Well, as the offer was made two or three days ago it's up to the club to make it happen.

I was sitting on it for Sunday, but then too much 'chatter' started and I could not wait any longer.

I just write the stories - other people have to do the deals.

I can't believe Newcastle think £2m is anywhere near enough for Warnock. He's an England international for cyring out loud. There is no reason why he won't be in and around the international squad for the next couple of years. Granted he's unlikely to start barring injuries to a couple of Chelsea's finest.

Despite the depressing feeling of having several players linked with moves away it shows a) what a great squad of players we have even if Brad and Bents leave and B) what a superb job Mark Hughes did with a limited budget - and that's no dig at Ince.

What would you base that on?

Robinson or any other keeper would be a replacement for Brad, so would go directly into the first team.

Castillo would be a signing to improve the first team.

Same goes for Villanueava.

If he signs a right back it will be for a starting position.

Right midfielder as a replacement for Bentley if he goes.

Fowler and Andrews are the only two players we've been linked with who would be seen as squad additions. Andrews is an odd one, but he obviously likes him and we are weak in central midfield, especially when it comes to creative players, so if he is being brought in as a back-up for a specific role no one else can fill it makes sense. Fowler is even stranger, but can be justified by his experience and the fact that at the moment it is only a trial where he needs to prove himself. If Ince doesn't like Gallagher or Maceo then that would mean he'd only have 4 strikers to choose from, which could become a problem during the season.

I'm starting to like where Ince is looking for players. I know that Hughes was good at finding deals, but I always felt that he never really looked "outside of the box". What I mean by that is that, with the exception of Nelsen, we signed all of our players from Western European nations. Good to see us really looking around.

Hughes signed Jeffers in much the same way Ince is looking at Fowler.

No way rev. Both talented but off the rails. If Fowler were to come good he's still worth the square root of sweet FA cos of his age. If Jeffers had responded to anything but his scouse thought processes and returned to top form he would have been sold for as much as Bellamy.

In a nutshell Jeffers had potential, Fowler has none.

Tris said that Brad wanted out - that is not the case. Brad would like the opportunity to take the money on offer, doesn't mean he wants to get out of the club - very different things.

He doesnn't want to stay, so doesnt that mean he wants to leave? Regardless of the reason Brad wants to leave.;

If memory serves me correctly Tris actually said that if Brad left, it would be his decision - not the club's.

Tris also said he would only go to Man City

No, both sides want a goalkeeper.

Then why are we remotely interested in Robinson :angry: Could it be that Robinson is a great pal of Eric Steele. I notice that on the 'Eric Steele Goalkeeping Services' website that it is none other than Robinson who is pictured in the coaching demonstrations where he is described as 'England Number 1'. Clearly Mr. Steele has a sense of humour :rolleyes: Sadly, I find nothing remotely funny about losing Brad and signing Robinson. So, that's one position that we will be weaker in this season.

In a nutshell Jeffers had potential, Fowler has none.

It depends what you define as "potential." Now there are seven subs, IF Fowler could get anything like fit, he might be a very useful option to bring off the bench wih twenty or thirty minutes to go etc.

Archived