BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mufc V Brfc Carling Cup Match Thread

Roost

That our gates would be even more embarrassing if we didn't.. Rovers, like any business, don't slash prices out of altruistic love for the customer - they do so because if they don't, they sell nowt!

Not really true. Rovers cut season ticket prices knowing full well they were going to make a loss compared to what they would make if they kept them the same. They probably knew the attendance increase would not be able to compensate for the 33% drop in season ticket revenue. It was a strategy to increase support in the future which, unfortunately, will probably fail.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a case of a boycott but I am just not prepared to pay £41 to watch any football match. I can get two bottles of single malt for that and I do not have to pay for transport to and from to get it. Just a case of value for money, particularly when it will probably be mainly a reserve match anyway.

Here is a copy of the correspondence I sent and received to the FL. Note that they stress that Rovers were quite happy for their own supporters to be charged this ridiculous sum a few weeks before Christmas in the middle of the worst financial crisis for years.

Rovers look after fans well enough at home with ticket prices. We have to be competitive somewhere.

Think about it, Rovers get half of the takings of a 60,000 crowd at on average £41 per ticket.

That's 30,000 at £41 which is probably more than what they make for 2 home league games in gate receipts.

We have to make money somewhere. We know we have took a hit on money earned through ticket sales at Ewood in order to keep prices cheaper for us fans. Is it really that unreasonable that Rovers have allowed this to go ahead at £41 when you consider the financial benefits for themselves.

Is it really that unreasonable that Rovers have allowed this to go ahead at £41 when you consider the financial benefits for themselves.

As a one-off, - no, I don't think it is. For once rovers are dipping into United's huge financial advantage and good luck to them. Makes up, in a miniscule way, for the change in rules where clubs used to share all gate reciepts equally.

I can understand why some on here think that what Rovers have done is alright (in keeping up the high ticket price to take advantage of United's support) but it sweems rather odd that they appear to have sold those fans who wanted to go down the river.

If, on principle, you are against high ticket prices (which surely most if not all of us on here are), I don't think you can really pick and choose when you do or don't think it's OK to charge £40 (or anything over £30).

It's quite clear from many posting on here that the price is detering lots of people from going to this match. Comparing this price to those charged at Chelsea, Tottenham or QPR when this game is a mid week League Cup game just before Christmas and at a time when many people are worried about their finances is just bloody daft.

Those saying a boycott won't work or make much difference are right but that doesn't mean that it's not worth protesting about the cost of going to football these days. If you don't kick up a fuss then those in charge just think that they can get away with it again in the future because a precedent has effectively been set.

I can understand why some on here think that what Rovers have done is alright (in keeping up the high ticket price to take advantage of United's support) but it sweems rather odd that they appear to have sold those fans who wanted to go down the river.

If, on principle, you are against high ticket prices (which surely most if not all of us on here are), I don't think you can really pick and choose when you do or don't think it's OK to charge £40 (or anything over £30).

It's quite clear from many posting on here that the price is detering lots of people from going to this match. Comparing this price to those charged at Chelsea, Tottenham or QPR when this game is a mid week League Cup game just before Christmas and at a time when many people are worried about their finances is just bloody daft.

Those saying a boycott won't work or make much difference are right but that doesn't mean that it's not worth protesting about the cost of going to football these days. If you don't kick up a fuss then those in charge just think that they can get away with it again in the future because a precedent has effectively been set.

That is the other side of the argument and quite valid. I think what's making it easier for us fans to accept the higher price, is the realisation that not many of us would have gone anyway, therefore wish rovers good luck in taking the money. Totally immorral, but that's the way it seems to me.

If we had been doing well and fancied our chances in the tie, then all hell would have let loose. :D

If we didn't play Fowler, we wouldn't have to pay him, then Rovers could have subsidised the tickets to get a better following... (more might turn up too on the promise that Fowler wasn't going to play)... everyone's a winner.

I think El Tombro makes some valid points about the need to get home fans demonstrating against prices but with United supporters already making an attempt to show that their prices are unreasonable, surely now would be a good time to show our opposition too. A number of United fans have joined the Facebook page against prices for the quarter final which shows that they have some sympathy for our position.

Higher wages and greater wealth down south means that clubs there are able to keep charging daft prices because they know that although some fans might boycott games or be unwilling to pay those prices, there's enough people with the money to take their place. United's fan base is so big that the same goes for them. Just because the market will bare those prices doesn't mean that it's OK to do it. A whole generation of supporters are in danger of being priced out of the game as shown by recent research which highlighted how it's now mainly older fans who (can afford to) go. The shortsightedness/shorttermism of football is putting its own future under threat.

I believe that the lack of young kids coming to matches and the move towards a more wealthy supporter base is part of the reason why the atmosphere has virtually gone from most grounds. Over pricing of tickets is having a range of both direct and indirect affects on our game and needs to be fought before it ruins it for good.

I think it's fair to say that we Rovers fans have been spoilt by low prices at Ewood. The "football is for fans" campaign thing is done with sincerity it seems from the Board. But as someone on here wrote a while back, apologies since I forget who, but they said 'low prices are a great idea, until they come back up again'...

I think it's fair to say that we Rovers fans have been spoilt by low prices at Ewood. The "football is for fans" campaign thing is done with sincerity it seems from the Board. But as someone on here wrote a while back, apologies since I forget who, but they said 'low prices are a great idea, until they come back up again'...

Well that's one way of looking at it Bobsterbrfc or it may be that Blackburn are charging what some might consider as reasonable prices while many other clubs (including plenty in the Championship) are just asking too much to watch football.

Hasta and others seem to have failed to grasp what I perceive as the main iniquity in theser prices

All United watchers are invariably season ticket holders or members - therefore they pay £35 for the tickets we pay £41 for

Believe me, only a miniscule if any number of United fans will decide to become members solely to attend this game and therefore pay £6 membership joining fee plus £35

That is a fair point and it's true it's not what I was considering in my replies.

However, as unfair as it seems, it must be within FA rules and there's nothing Rovers can do about it. In this case it's not really BRFC'S fault.

That is a fair point and it's true it's not what I was considering in my replies.

However, as unfair as it seems, it must be within FA rules and there's nothing Rovers can do about it. In this case it's not really BRFC'S fault.

The rules state that the Rovers have had to agree to the price of £41. They may see this as a way of getting revenue and are obviously not really bothered if too many of their own supporters don't turn up. The gate will be 60,000+ even if it is all Manchester United supporters and the Rovers get the money.

However, where I do take the club to task is that to add insult to injury they are also asking supporters to pay a further £10 for coach travel to Manchester. This takes the price to £51 if you use the official Away Travel.

In recent weeks I am led to believe that Bolton Wanderers have provided FREE coaches to Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United and Hull City.

Charging £10 for the coach to Manchester while our neighbours are getting FREE transport to London is purely down to BRFC!

In recent weeks I am led to believe that Bolton Wanderers have provided FREE coaches to Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United and Hull City.

/quote]

Don't forget their free trip to boro last week and this weeks trip to Sunderland.

According to the Bolton fans I know there is a strong possibility that there is many more free away trips to come this season.

Sorry Parson but I think you're taking the biscuit to be quite honest; in defense of the club, what more do you want them to do when they've kept ticket prices for their own fans down to a minimum?

How long do you reckon this will last? Short term efforts to encourage more support - and similar to Rovers low ticket prices, once they're taken away, what then?

So you are saying that once the Rovers drop their cheap tickets that the fans will fall away? In these difficult financial times officials need to continue to find ways of encouraging people to follow the club. Bolton don't get a penny from away League games but have put free coaches on to help the fans. We, on the other hand, will be getting a percentage of the gate money for the game at Manchester.

If the Rovers had put free coaches on to Manchester - which I would suspect would be somewhat cheaper than coaches to London - it would have been good PR as well as helping those fans, like myself, who are paying £41 to go and support the team at Old Trafford. Let's remember that this game comes after we have just paid £37 for Tottenham and £35 for Portmsouth. That's a total of £113 that I, and many other supporters, have paid out to support the team and that's without the cost of transport to Tottenham and Portsmouth on top. I just feel that free coaches to Manchester would have been a way to acknowledge the financial outlay that the supporters are making to follow the club.

However, where I do take the club to task is that to add insult to injury they are also asking supporters to pay a further £10 for coach travel to Manchester. This takes the price to £51 if you use the official Away Travel.

Charging £10 for the coach to Manchester while our neighbours are getting FREE transport to London is purely down to BRFC!

Well go another way then. In fact you go and hire your own coach parsonblue. It'll make you feel better and then you can stop acting like a spoilt child on here.

Well go another way then. In fact you go and hire your own coach parsonblue. It'll make you feel better and then you can stop acting like a spoilt child on here.

If you went to away matches thenodrog you would see that support has fallen away this season. Bolton have probably had a similar situation and decided to do something about it. At a time of economic recession I thought that the club might have achieved some positive PR. We have done it in the past when we have wanted to encourage away support for important matches. As I said, I will be there and I hope you will be there supporting the club as well.

Are any Rovers fans actually going to this game?

I doubt if we have sold more than 200 tickets....any news on the sales Lee?

Against my better judgement I'm going with my son. His shifts mean we don't get to go together too often these days and this match just fits right with his airport job. Luckily I can afford it although it still feels wrong and I can absolutely understand anyone who has refused to go.

Against my better judgement I'm going with my son. His shifts mean we don't get to go together too often these days and this match just fits right with his airport job. Luckily I can afford it although it still feels wrong and I can absolutely understand anyone who has refused to go.

I’m going aswel, a case of heart ruling head. There is no way I would pay the prices if I was a homeowner etc but a little arm twisting has convinced me. Only got the tickets last Friday and we are on coach one so I can’t see there being too many there, but I don’t blame anyone for not going to be honest as I was very nearly one of them.

Yes, the reason being that the Mancs actually let disabled supportersand their carers in for free so Mr Roversmum and I will be there, the lone Rovers flying the flag and taking the inevitable embarassment on the chin :P . Then again, you never know...

Are any Rovers fans actually going to this game?

Yeah me and 2 others. Caved in and got tickets this morning. They've been reduced dramtically to £40.23 to account for vat reduction!

Whilst I accept that £41 is riduculous, there are clearly a lot people saying they are boycotting this game who wouldn't have bothered going in any event even if reasonably priced.

Furthermore whilst I accept that there are genuine fans who feel so strongly that they are boycotting this game out of principal and/or for financial reasons, any boycott should have been more publicised. Ie Sky sports news or newspapers. If that had been the case I may not have gone out of principal.

A small group of rovers fans protesting outside ground will go unnoticed.

That way at least our miniscule away following on wednesday would not be ridiculed by the media, nor would the likes of myself have to put up with 60k at the game singing how bad our support is.

No excuse by me - Iv got the money in the bank, I could afford the £41 and I really wanted to go to the game. I would of gone for £30 a ticket no problem at all - but at £41 each they can stick it where the sun doesnt shine - purely out of principal

Yeah me and 2 others. Caved in and got tickets this morning. They've been reduced dramtically to £40.23 to account for vat reduction!

Whilst I accept that £41 is riduculous, there are clearly a lot people saying they are boycotting this game who wouldn't have bothered going in any event even if reasonably priced.

Furthermore whilst I accept that there are genuine fans who feel so strongly that they are boycotting this game out of principal and/or for financial reasons, any boycott should have been more publicised. Ie Sky sports news or newspapers. If that had been the case I may not have gone out of principal.

A small group of rovers fans protesting outside ground will go unnoticed.

That way at least our miniscule away following on wednesday would not be ridiculed by the media, nor would the likes of myself have to put up with 60k at the game singing how bad our support is.

I presume you got yours on the phone? I've just been down to Ewood as I needed to get a shirt for a present but I couldn't get United tickets as they are re-printing them with the reduced prices on. God knows why they didn't take the sensible approach as Rovers are doing. It means I either have to go back tomorrow or get them on the phone and collect at Old Trafford, paying the extra booking charge. This will be a bit more than the discount!

Archived