SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Ince Gone

Back or Sack  

557 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• Back
    • Sack

Had a quick look through the early pages of this thread and what a mess we were in this time last year!!

Sadly, still don't think I have fully recovered from having Paul Ince as our manager, still feel uncomfortable when I see/hear his name.

I think this messageboard shud filter Paul Ince as P*** I***. That'd help me get over it. Everytime I see his face, I want to hit him. And when he does an interview, its like he's watching the wimbledon final!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a quick look through the earlier pages of this thread and what a mess we were in this time last year!!

Sadly, still don't think I have fully recovered from having Paul Ince as our manager, feel uncomfortable when I see/hear his name.

I think it gives the Sam lovers an excuse for us not being anywhere close to being where we were under Hughes, even though he's had almost a year now, and only had 2 main subtractions from the club during Ince's tenure (and watching Brad this year, we've broken even on that one).

He put us behind the 8-ball last season, but has nothing to do with how poor we've been for most of this season.

I think it gives the Sam lovers an excuse for us not being anywhere close to being where we were under Hughes, even though he's had almost a year now, and only had 2 main subtractions from the club during Ince's tenure (and watching Brad this year, we've broken even on that one).

He put us behind the 8-ball last season, but has nothing to do with how poor we've been for most of this season.

Could you post that again, only this time in English ?

I think one of those "subtractions', namely Bentley has been rather hard to replace though and would have made an enourmous difference. certainly Grella and Andrews haven't replaced him! How poor have we been this season? Our away form apart from 1 game has been aweful, our home form apart from 1 game where we picked up a point has been terrific. Plenty to build on----vast contrast with last year, but not for the Sam haters.

I think one of those "subtractions', namely Bentley has been rather hard to replace though and would have made an enourmous difference. certainly Grella and Andrews haven't replaced him! How poor have we been this season? Our away form apart from 1 game has been aweful, our home form apart from 1 game where we picked up a point has been terrific. Plenty to build on----vast contrast with last year, but not for the Sam haters.

We should be comparing the record to and building on a squad that finished 7th. Had Sam not spent so much on right-backs (wage-wise) maybe he could have replaced Bentley.

He's had 2 windows - we can't blame Ince forever.

We should be comparing the record to and building on a squad that finished 7th. Had Sam not spent so much on right-backs (wage-wise) maybe he could have replaced Bentley.

I'm not blaming anybody! You are! 14th with the squad we have and the fixtures we had is about right. And there's no way we could have found another Bentley by not signing Salgado or Jacobson.

What is there to blame? We are doing just fine so far this season. Not great but not awful either. The football produced at home has not been awful at all. There have been some highs and lows like EVERY OTHER SEASON. Some idiots come on saying "that was the worst I have even seen in 20+ years" like EVERY OTHER SEASON. Fans have been on saying we need to aim higher and not be concerned with relegation...we used to say that under Hughes as well. More than once we were in and around the bottom three under him as well at this time of the campaign. That was not just in his first season either.

We are midtable and in the quarter finals of the cup with a run of games coming up in which we can expect better returns than recently.

It is interesting how many of those getting on Sam's back while not giving him a chance used to defend Ince to the hilt and I remember accusations of not being proper fans for not getting behind the team and manager enough.

As for Salgado...all managers make mistakes and we are yet to see if it truly was a clanger. Hughes brought in Berner when we did not really need a left back...and he has nothing of the pedigree of Salgado yet cost 2million squid or so.

Sam ain't a perfect manager and could really do with some work on his PR skills but I really cannot see the need for all this gnashing of teeth and pulling out of hair. the squad looks better now than before and Big Fat Sam even appears to be listening to the desires of the fans.

It seems the glass at BRFC is more half full than half empty now. This time last year we were getting down to the dregs at the bottom of the glass...

I may have got mixed up with that one then...I thought he did cost some kind of fee though.

Whatever...I do not see the need for either of them. Perhaps Salgado was deemed to be a bit of a marquee signing to show intent. Needs to learn to play somewhere else other than right back however as that is the one place in the side do not need any more bodies.

As for those who did not want Sam or Ince...well, Ten Cate didn't come nor did Mancini or Laudrup or whatever big name foreign manager you wanted. So..we have BFS and he is doing alright so far. Let's see where he is after some games we really can expect to pick up points from. Starting with Bolton and Fulham...

That's a bit harsh. Hughes never had a transfer fund of minus 15 million or whatever it was to deal with. Additionally the likes of City and Spurs are much stronger now than before. What Hughes did with us was brilliant but is getting harder and harder to replicate with each season. Our financial situation is getting increasingly threadbare each season whilst other Premier League clubs are looking like increasingly attractive propositions. We should judge Sam on his own terms and not against a man who worked wonders for us.

There's very few 'Sam lovers', just people who think he's done a decent enough job so far and that the posts of some on here have bordered on the ridiculous. Interestingly, some of those who backed Ince for longer than most are now some of Sam's biggest critics on here...

People praise Hughes as though he were some sort of god. Hughes did absolutely fantastically well for us yes but the situation we are in is in part down to Hughes. The decisions of him and John Williams to reward players with massive contracts after one or two purple patches of form is currently coming round to well and truly bite us in the ass.

This is something many don't consider when talking about Hughes. He did well, took us as far as he could. He knew this and I am pretty sure he would have known the financial situation we were in as well. Hughes spent a lot with us. Not on transfers but wages.

Benni, Reid, MGP, Nelson, Roberts.

These are five earners none of which are contributing to much to the first team, all of whom were offered massively inflated deals over their true worth after short runs of good form.

Were this not the case then this summer we would not have had a transfer budget of - £15 million. What was the wage to turnover ratio. 85% or something along those lines. We overspent big time on wages the vast majority of which was during Hughes tenure.

Nevertheless. It was a good few years under Sparky but it had to end sometime.

He's had 2 windows***........... .

*** In your urge to chuck ever more mud at allardyce you forgot to add 'a free hand in the transfer market and unlimited cash'. :rolleyes:

Your misty eyed reminisces are inaccurate. Can anybody please inform the Americans selective memory banks where we were after 11-12 months of Hughes's reign? I seem to rem that we were near the bottom of the Prem with big signing Bellamy waving his sick note and nursing his knee from Brockhalls treatment table.

I think there is a third group- those of us who wanted neither Ince nor Sam.

Indeed.... But they did'nt know who they wanted either.

It's the same now. Chatting to two blokes in the pub Friday night who come from Brinscall and they both wanted rid of SA. I said OK so who are we going to get to replace him? And who will actually come to BRFC given our financial constraints? Best they could do was suggest 'Simon Grayson'!!! :lol: Next stab out of a certain desperation and probably to stop me laughing was a hastily spluttered 'well Slaven Bilic then'.

They even admitted to my query regarding all the Notlob fans in Brinscall (and there are plenty)that they would all have Allardyce back in a heartbeat.

Without reference to Bolton it seems the grass will always be greener on the other side of the hill. :rolleyes:

Memo to all the Allardyce haters : remember the sad example of Charlton Athletic.

Charlton fans if you recall forced Alan Curbishley out a few seasons back on the basis that a regular top ten finish in the Premier League wasn't good enough because they thought he should be getting them in the top six at the very least.

The result was a predictable slide down the table ending in relegation and then further relegation to the third tier, a sad decline for a good medium-sized club that was doing well competing with the big boys in a very similar way to Rovers.

This insidious campaign against Allardyce has to stop. Hound him out and we will lose him. Let a good man do his job.

Memo to all the Allardyce haters : remember the sad example of Charlton Athletic.

Charlton fans if you recall forced Alan Curbishley out a few seasons back on the basis that a regular top ten finish in the Premier League wasn't good enough because they thought he should be getting them in the top six at the very least.

The result was a predictable slide down the table ending in relegation and then further relegation to the third tier, a sad decline for a good medium-sized club that was doing well competing with the big boys in a very similar way to Rovers.

This insidious campaign against Allardyce has to stop. Hound him out and we will lose him. Let a good man do his job.

I agree with you.

There is no need for any Rovers supporter to hound SA. I would understand if Rovers were bottom of the league out of the carling cup. But Rovers are 14th having played some of the top 4 - 3 points above the relegation zone with a game in hand - still in the carling cup. With a very good home record. What needs addressing is the away form not a change or a hounding of the manager. With Ince we saw NO sign that he could turn things around on the field for Rovers, but that cannot be said of Big Sam.

There are not many other managers who could have got Rovers out of the dire situation they were in last season - Big Sam deserves to be given the credit for tthat, as well as this season to see what he can do.

That needed saying but it will cut no ice with the deluded at whom it's aimed.

Spot on Jim.

Rome wasnt built in a day and people need to realise that without massive amounts of cash...Rovers wont be rebuilt overnight - give them time. We are heading in the right direction and Sam will take us back to the top 10.

When we've had several top 10 finishes under Allardyce, perhaps you might like to post this again when it'll be more relevant.

I agree with you.

There is no need for any Rovers supporter to hound SA. I would understand if Rovers were bottom of the league out of the carling cup. But Rovers are 14th having played some of the top 4 - 3 points above the relegation zone with a game in hand - still in the carling cup. With a very good home record. What needs addressing is the away form not a change or a hounding of the manager. With Ince we saw NO sign that he could turn things around on the field for Rovers, but that cannot be said of Big Sam.

There are not many other managers who could have got Rovers out of the dire situation they were in last season - Big Sam deserves to be given the credit for tthat, as well as this season to see what he can do.

:rover: ince got rovers to the last 8 in the carling cup,and we played some premier teams on the way :blush::brfc:

• Backroom

:rover: ince got rovers to the last 8 in the carling cup,and we played some premier teams on the way :blush::brfc:

Yes, we were also high-flying in 19th by that point, and Manchester United butchered us in the last 8 match. Was a great time to be a Rovers fan.

When we've had several top 10 finishes under Allardyce, perhaps you might like to post this again when it'll be more relevant.

Gladly, and I don't see what was not "relevant" in the post.

In the meantime give Allardyce time to show his mettle.

So that's why you were arguing,only hours before he was sacked, that he should be given a whole season to prove himself? An up and coming manager you called him. Yet you were not prepared to give the new manager ONE DAY! :angry2::blink:

If some people have their way the manager will never get the chance to win several top ten finishes. Is'nt that the point?

Archived