BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel it such a shame for him influenced by money and agents, the love of a footballer should be to play football at the top of your lvl and play for your country, he was doing both at rovers and left for greener pastures :rolleyes: If his main dream was to play for england he may well have blown that and i find that a damn shame for him.

I have to feel some kind of symapthy also for friedel, just another in the long list of players bettering themselves by leaving rovers, i had him down as being here for years finally retiring to a coaching role, to see him move to villa whose fans dont seem to fully appreciate him like we did at rovers and still he has no higher standard of football, poor ol monkey man as my missus would say (after arsenal ofc)

If we stay up it will be interesting to see how the rsc saga continues in the summer because he could well be another to bury himself in his own £50 notes.

just another in the long list of players bettering themselves by leaving rovers, i had him down as being here for years finally retiring to a coaching role, to see him move to villa whose fans dont seem to fully appreciate him like we did at rovers and still he has no higher standard of football, poor ol monkey man as my missus would say (after arsenal ofc)

:rolleyes: Look at the table. I think Villa are having a slightly better season than we are. And if you want to be pedantic then it's easy to point out that Villa played in the UEFA Cup and we didn't.

You guys sound incredibly bitter. Bentley a failure? He's still rather young and he'll probably go on to have a good career, whether at Spurs or not is another question. Mark Hughes is a good manager and will also probably go on to have a good career, whether at Man City or not is another question. I'm a Rovers fan and all and I would have rather our good players/managers stay here but in particular calling these two failures is laughably short sighted as any reasonable football observer would note that 3/4 of a season usually isn't enough to ruin a career.

Well Bentley isnt in the squad but Beckham, SWP and Lennon all are. Think that proves he should of stayed.

As for Gus Gus - YES bentleys move has become a failure - can you see him getting past lennon, the guy who has just signed a new deal?

:rolleyes: Look at the table. I think Villa are having a slightly better season than we are. And if you want to be pedantic then it's easy to point out that Villa played in the UEFA Cup and we didn't.

You guys sound incredibly bitter. Bentley a failure? He's still rather young and he'll probably go on to have a good career, whether at Spurs or not is another question. Mark Hughes is a good manager and will also probably go on to have a good career, whether at Man City or not is another question. I'm a Rovers fan and all and I would have rather our good players/managers stay here but in particular calling these two failures is laughably short sighted as any reasonable football observer would note that 3/4 of a season usually isn't enough to ruin a career.

Villa are having a better season in terms of results, but the quality of their football is not scintillating most of the time. They were very efficient at the start of the season, found a way of playing that suited them and got results and stuck to it. There was very little excitement - pace, yes, but not loads of shots on goal or anything. They've been found out now with injuries to the odd key player, Young and Agbonlahor looking weary and no replacements coming in. I don't blame friedel for being there, but realistically they are little better than us as their defeats at the hands of the big teams show recently.

Can't see Hughes being interested, I get the impression the relationship soured a bit between Bentley and Hughes before Hughes's departure. Probably more like Bentley trying to initiate a move or make it known to other clubs he wants a new start.

I can't see us being able to afford him either, even if the deal involves payments from Spurs being scrapped from the original transfer.

You would also have to ask what would be the advantage in moving from Spurs where he is behind Lennon to City where he is behind Robinho, Ireland and SWP? Plus I am sure City are eyeing up ritzier signings.

Villa would be a strange one because they already have Young, Milner and Ablanghor. I am sure there are other areas of their team they would sort out first. Everton are a possibility if they find the money - although surely the priority is a striker for them?

The one team I would bank on to try and sign him if they stay up is Newcastle. Bentley has Newcastle player written all over him. Mercurial talent, lack of discipline, desire to earn a lot of money and play for a "big" team.

• 1 month later...

Heard a disturbing rumour from a Spurs fan on Saturday;

He had heard that Bentley didn't play on Saturday vs City, because that if he had come on he would have gotten his 25th?? match of the season.

Blackburn Rovers are getting paid when Bentley reaches 25 matches for Spurs, but if they sell him this summer without giving him 25 matches we will get less??

Heard a disturbing rumour from a Spurs fan on Saturday;

He had heard that Bentley didn't play on Saturday vs City, because that if he had come on he would have gotten his 25th?? match of the season.

Blackburn Rovers are getting paid when Bentley reaches 25 matches for Spurs, but if they sell him this summer without giving him 25 matches we will get nothing??

ok then :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean we don't get any of the fee lol, but I wouldn't be suprised if it triggered one of the many add-ons that appear in transfers. I'm also guessing that him missing out on England squads may have also been bad news for us aswell.

As a football player I think he is brilliant and my head says 100% yes however, what he did to us after what we did for him is unforgettable plus we wouldn't be able to afford to buy him back - my heart says no. Anyway:-

He does nothing at Arsenal and is shipped out to Norwich where he becomes a little hero.

Rovers buy him and he is just as good for us as we are for him

He gets an England call and everyone raves about him

He decides he has to "kick on" and move to a 'better/bigger' club - he waits for ages and no one wants him

Spuds decide to get him and sit him on the bench for a season

He is no longer on the edge of the England squad

Makes for nice reading that doesn't it - the little fool

I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean we don't get any of the fee lol, but I wouldn't be suprised if it triggered one of the many add-ons that appear in transfers. I'm also guessing that him missing out on England squads may have also been bad news for us aswell.

Edited my first post.

See new post above.

If we lose out on £2 million based on performances, that is very sad for our small club.

They paid £31m for those two!

makes you laugh, if theyre holding out for what they bought them for they will be still at spurs next season, personally I'd see a swap of bentley and bent for roque as very good bit of business! would bentleys pride be able to take "a step backwards" tho?

They paid £31m for those two!

Yes Bentley cost them £15m (but im sure they havent paid it all yet?). Bent was available in January for around £8m. That comes to £23m (but like I said I dont think they have paid all the Bentley money yet anyway). We were asking for £20m for RSC. Write that debt off and take both players and get rid of RSC asap.

We then have a replacement and also good delivery from the right again. Leaving sam to just sort out midfield and maybe right back if he sees fit.

Yes Bentley cost them £15m (but im sure they havent paid it all yet?). Bent was available in January for around £8m. That comes to £23m (but like I said I dont think they have paid all the Bentley money yet anyway). We were asking for £20m for RSC. Write that debt off and take both players and get rid of RSC asap.

We then have a replacement and also good delivery from the right again. Leaving sam to just sort out midfield and maybe right back if he sees fit.

I don't think this is going to happen. Bentley is not going to come back to Rovers , like Bellamy he is not the sentimental type. Bent may be more of an option as few will be willing to take a punt on him due to his scoring record. We would have to figure out how to use him though - he has talents, but he certainly has his limitations too....

I don't think this is going to happen. Bentley is not going to come back to Rovers , like Bellamy he is not the sentimental type. Bent may be more of an option as few will be willing to take a punt on him due to his scoring record. We would have to figure out how to use him though - he has talents, but he certainly has his limitations too....

I dont think it will happen either mate - just a suggestion.

As for bent. Whats up with his scoring records??

League: 253 games (46 as sub), 97 goals

League This season: 32 games (11 as sub), 12 league goals - 17 goals in total for season in all comps.

Only 25 years only, has abit of pace and knows where the goal is. He is a confidence player, and if he isnt player week in, week out then that confidence is drained out of him. Maybe Robbo could pursuade him we are the right club to join?

For some reason the quote and reply buttons aren't appearing but that sounds more realistic Alexanders. I thinks it's fairly common to have appearance related bonus payments on transfers.

Sounds about right that Redknapp would do that although he clearly doesn't rate Bentley.

I too would have him back if the deal was in Rovers favour. Damn sure there'd be no sell on clause though!

Don't think he'd come back though, he's too arrogant. He'll probably end up at Birmingham. Unless he wants to stay in London, in which case he'll probably start hanging around with Fulham fans!

Archived