BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Bentley was never consistent enough to make it at a bigger club, with attention on him week in week out. People only realized MGP had gone off the boil during the last 6 or so months. Last season they thought he was still the MGP of 2 seasons earlier.

Bentley had one in three games for us, where in effect he was brilliant, but he was always capable of an assist nonetheless. Thats never going to cut it at bigger clubs. Same goes for most of our players.

Last player bordering on world class who we had was Bellamy.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bentley was never consistent enough to make it at a bigger club, with attention on him week in week out. People only realized MGP had gone off the boil during the last 6 or so months. Last season they thought he was still the MGP of 2 seasons earlier.

Bentley had one in three games for us, where in effect he was brilliant, but he was always capable of an assist nonetheless. Thats never going to cut it at bigger clubs. Same goes for most of our players.

[/quote

I'd have put Shearer a long way before Bellamy. Still each to there own.

I don't know about that. Being world calss is about form and fitness as much as talent. We have been well blessed: Tugay (2003 to 2006 he was exceptional), Duff (year before he was sold), Freidal (pretty much ever since he came...), Cruz (first season), Bellamy, McCarthy (first season), Nelsen (second season). All these were close to world class in my opinion. Freidal definately was, as was Duff when he went to Chelsea - hence his amazing world cup in Japan.

Bentley never quite hi tthe heights of those players in sheer effectiveness but was very very good. If he wanted to come back I would take him, if we settled him he would be fine. However I cannot see it happening, he will feel it to be a step back.

I can see him moving round the country, club to club, for the next five years. The one place that might sort him out is Villa, but then he rekected them in the summer and they now have 3 right wingers already.

Hasn't he been played out on the left for much of his time at Spurs? I'd say this would be a major factor in his underwhelming performances.

If I was Hughes I'd put in a bid for him ASAP. He got the best out of him at Rovers and if he reproduces the form he showed for us he'd be an asset for any side in the League.

I'd have put Shearer a long way before Bellamy. Still each to there own.

Yes but that's exactly what Shearer was - BEFORE Bellamy. Hence him saying the last player we had that was close to World Class was Bellamy. Before that it would have been Shearer.

Hasn't he been played out on the left for much of his time at Spurs? I'd say this would be a major factor in his underwhelming performances.

If I was Hughes I'd put in a bid for him ASAP. He got the best out of him at Rovers and if he reproduces the form he showed for us he'd be an asset for any side in the League.

They have a bunch of players who can play right wing - SWP, Ireland, Zabaleta, Robinho. All of who are as good as or better than Bentley. And two (Ireland, Robinho) of them, plus Elano - although he might be out the door, are better playing behind the front man too.

Just not needed.

Yes but that's exactly what Shearer was - BEFORE Bellamy. Hence him saying the last player we had that was close to World Class was Bellamy. Before that it would have been Shearer.

What about Duff, Tugay and Freidel. All world class imo at one point or another during their time at Rovers.

I'd have him back, we can't hold grudges against everyone!

It's easy to say he wasn't actually that good but from what I remember he performed pretty damn well for us and is probably half the reason Roque hasn't got as many goals this year. We need a right midfielder and we could do a lot worse than him.

I understood when he wanted to leave for champions league football and then obviously felt very let down when that changed to European football, but maybe he just felt by then he had burned his bridges and couldn't stay, who knows?

He'd have to hold his hands up and admit his mistake obviously but performances will turn any fans around, look at Ronaldo and Barry after what they did/said.

Loan with a view to buy? Maybe we've even got some kind of sell on clause, could well have put one in since we knew we were getting a raw deal after Arsenal's cut. Although it would probably be a percentage of any profit, don't think a profit on him is very likely!!

A few articles suggest is Downing goes to Spurs then he will be available, however rumour has it that if they fail with Downing they may want MGP, straight swap? Who would you rather? I'd have to go for Bentley over inconsistent Peds at the moment.

It may be unrealistic but I'd love him back, he best buy we could get. One of the biggest reasons for our slump this season was losing him IMHO. I know he has acted like a cock but if SA could find a way to bring him back I think he could still be great for us again. It is sad to see one of the most gifted young English players around floundering at the moment.

It may be unrealistic but I'd love him back, he best buy we could get. One of the biggest reasons for our slump this season was losing him IMHO. I know he has acted like a cock but if SA could find a way to bring him back I think he could still be great for us again. It is sad to see one of the most gifted young English players around floundering at the moment.

Indeed, he might even see is as resurrecting his career. There are certainly worse options availabe both to Bentley and the Rovers.

Certainly looks like Bentley has joined the leagues of Hughes, Souness, Neill, Bellamy and Duff. The "ambitious failures".

Some might say that Duff was not a failure at Chelsea. He still managed win the Premiership.

What a fool :D they will be lucky to get 10 million for him now! astute piece of business rovers!

If Spurs were to sell him now for £10 mill, where does that leave Rovers in the terms of collecting the several million in balance of payments that is still owed? Or could we strike a deal with Spuds that we take him back for free?

I'd have him back, we can't hold grudges against everyone!

It's easy to say he wasn't actually that good but from what I remember he performed pretty damn well for us and is probably half the reason Roque hasn't got as many goals this year. We need a right midfielder and we could do a lot worse than him.

I understood when he wanted to leave for champions league football and then obviously felt very let down when that changed to European football, but maybe he just felt by then he had burned his bridges and couldn't stay, who knows?

He'd have to hold his hands up and admit his mistake obviously but performances will turn any fans around, look at Ronaldo and Barry after what they did/said.

Loan with a view to buy? Maybe we've even got some kind of sell on clause, could well have put one in since we knew we were getting a raw deal after Arsenal's cut. Although it would probably be a percentage of any profit, don't think a profit on him is very likely!!

A few articles suggest is Downing goes to Spurs then he will be available, however rumour has it that if they fail with Downing they may want MGP, straight swap? Who would you rather? I'd have to go for Bentley over inconsistent Peds at the moment.

This is beyond belief! Bentley is in a totally different class to Pedersen who does something exceptional every now and again(can't remember the last time) but is really quite ordinary most of the time . A straight swap is beyond my wildest dreams!

Certainly looks like Bentley has joined the leagues of Hughes, Souness, Neill, Bellamy and Duff. The "ambitious failures".

Duff won two league titles and some cups, I wouldn't say he was a failure. The others definitely have been. However think of the team we could have had if players hadn't felt the grass was greener. Bentley and Duff on the wings and Bellamy up front with Santa Cruz or McCarthy. We would be in the Champions League! :rolleyes:

Don't you hate to see good talent wasted?

Yes I do. Bently could and should be the premier English right wing with a regular place in the England squad. As for all the negative comments on the thread, I dont remember him upsetting me when he was playing for us but I do remember some great goals and some scintilating performances. The look on Ferdinands face when he scored against United was worth a minor kings ransom.

Duff won two league titles and some cups, I wouldn't say he was a failure. The others definitely have been. However think of the team we could have had if players hadn't felt the grass was greener. Bentley and Duff on the wings and Bellamy up front with Santa Cruz or McCarthy. We would be in the Champions League! :rolleyes:

Duff was a success in terms of medals because he went to a big club. In 2002 I thought Duff was the best left-winger in the world and one of the best players in the wolrd; if you said the same thing now, when he should really be in his prime, people would think you were an idiot. Says it all really.

To be great you have to play every week and you need to play for a team that maximizes your talents. Rooney doesn't look as good at United when Ronaldo is playing as he doesn't get as much time on the ball. Anelka doesn't look as good when he plays alongside Drogba. So on and so on.

Duff was a success in terms of medals because he went to a big club. In 2002 I thought Duff was the best left-winger in the world and one of the best players in the wolrd; if you said the same thing now, when he should really be in his prime, people would think you were an idiot. Says it all really.

To be great you have to play every week and you need to play for a team that maximizes your talents. Rooney doesn't look as good at United when Ronaldo is playing as he doesn't get as much time on the ball. Anelka doesn't look as good when he plays alongside Drogba. So on and so on.

True. I think the reason Spurs and Newcastle take so many players and ruin their careers is becuase they 1) don't put a stress on organisational shape, and 2) play too many flair forwards.

Man Utd are a prime example of how to make a high flair game work - sure, they play a ridiculously attacking game - it is not unsual to start two wingers, a striker and an attacking central player. But vitally their flair players, berbatov aside, work extremely hard to win the ball back. Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney cover ground and tackle, plus have a physicality that can compete against even burly defensive midfield palyers. Man utd don't "carry" these three, they are part of the defensive unit as much as the offensive unit.

On the other hand the likes of lennon, bentley, Modric, Duff, Martins, Guitarrez, Viduka etc. are not going to win you the ball back and they are not really going to stick rigidly to a shape. Yet becuase the fans of the two clubs demand "attractive attacking football" then manager is forced to shoe horn four or five of these types of individual into the team thus creating a highly disorganised side.

If, for example, Modric was at Rovers he would be special becuase we would stick in Pedersen, Emerton, Grella etc to do the donkey work and protect him, whilst he would have absolute freedom to get forward. At Spurs you have Lennon, Bentley and Modric all trying to move in the final third so they get devastated on the counter.

• 2 months later...

Wonder if he is still glad he left us? Im pretty sure he wont last at Spuds with Lennon there.

Last season 9 goals, this season 2. Last season 6 internationals, this season 1. Going backwards David - should of stayed a rover!!

According to todays Mirror - City are set to offer him an escape route in the summer. It also says he has now made it known that it was a mistake and that the move back fired on him.

Can't see Hughes being interested, I get the impression the relationship soured a bit between Bentley and Hughes before Hughes's departure. Probably more like Bentley trying to initiate a move or make it known to other clubs he wants a new start.

I can't see us being able to afford him either, even if the deal involves payments from Spurs being scrapped from the original transfer.

Archived