BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton V Blackburn Preview

Nate

I've just read it's Lars Jacobsen's birthday on Sunday and his wife is expecting a baby next week. Playing his former club with a point to prove, it might be worth a cheeky punt on him to score as the odds will be +50/1

Wish I could bet.

Wouldnt that be quite the story if he did. I think I would laugh my ass off.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you having a laugh ! Or are you seriously undermining Evertons capability. Everton have a far stronger squad than we have wether we want to accept it or not.

Im just very confident. Our injured players are returning, and our squad looks strong. Its the rest of the teams who play us, that will take us lightly at their peril.

Far stronger squad? That I'm not sure about. They have a better midfield, which is crucial, but the rest I'm not sure. I'd probably take our back four now that they have lost Lescott and up front would you really choose Saha over what we have? He'd be better than Roberts, but realistically Roberts should be 4/5th choice even in our squad.

Far stronger squad? That I'm not sure about. They have a better midfield, which is crucial, but the rest I'm not sure. I'd probably take our back four now that they have lost Lescott and up front would you really choose Saha over what we have? He'd be better than Roberts, but realistically Roberts should be 4/5th choice even in our squad.

I didnt mean our squad is stronger than theirs. I meant with Bert, Dunn and perhaps Reid back our squad is strong, as compared to last year. Our back 4 is better than theirs, our keeper is better. With Dunn and Bert in midfield, and if Gamst gets back to his ultimate best, then id say we equal to their midfield. If Benni was fit, and scoring then he would be better than Saha.

Their midfield isn't far better than ours. To be fair, I highly rate Cahill and Fellaini, but I feel the same way about Dunn and Grella. Pienaar and Osman aren't any better than Pedersen and Diouf either, or Emerton for that matter.

We are much stronger defensively... even with a second-choice back four. I mean when you have Nelsen, Samba, Givet, Chimbonda, Jacobsen and Salgado to choose from... you're not doing too badly :)

Strikers is where the difference lies... but to be fair all our strikers are either out of form or unproven, so that doesn't necesarily mean they're worse. Not like Jo or Saha are anything to write home about anyway..

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

In the general context of the last year comparing Grella and Dunn to Fellani and Cahill is laugable. The Everton pair are much better. However in the context of the last two games Grella and Dunn have looked good, especially Dunn who has arguably had two of his best ever games in a Rovers shirt.

Honestly if I was picking between the two teams I would probably take Dunn as the pick of the four atm.

In the general context of the last year comparing Grella and Dunn to Fellani and Cahill is laugable. The Everton pair are much better. However in the context of the last two games Grella and Dunn have looked good, especially Dunn who has arguably had two of his best ever games in a Rovers shirt.

Honestly if I was picking between the two teams I would probably take Dunn as the pick of the four atm.

That's what I'm talking about. Fellaini was excellent last year, and Cahill has been phenomenal for a while now, but judging on the past few games... you can't really go and say that Dunn and Grella are that much worse. They don't offer the same strength in the air though :)

Judging on the last few games Thomas Vermaelen should play up front every week. Cahill and Fellaini are better players, without question. Dunn has looked quite good this season but its so, so long since he did it anywhere near consistently.

I would say there is a pretty big question about this. Form changes massively over time. David Bentley is a fine example of someone who is a 'good player' but has been absolutely toilet for a long time now. When do you decide he becomes a 'bad player'?

People are too keen to stick indelible labels on players, despite the enormous amount of evidence that how individuals perform alters massively over time. Indeed at Rovers we have made a business of buying 'bad' or 'average' players and turning them into 'good players'.

It comes down to whose a better bet on the day. At the moment Dunn is offering more to his team than either of those two and I would put him into a team in front of them.

Cahill is a great goal scorer for a midfielder but is his all round game that good? Not really, pretty average. Fellaini isn't that great either, he's big and strong but not that skillful and I'm not sure he would be in David Moyes' best 11 if all were fit.

Grella played and Dunn both played very well against Wolves, time will tell but if they both stay fit I expect good a good season for them both.

Miker's sentence certainly wasn't laughable.

Their midfield isn't far better than ours. To be fair, I highly rate Cahill and Fellaini, but I feel the same way about Dunn and Grella. Pienaar and Osman aren't any better than Pedersen and Diouf either, or Emerton for that matter.

We are much stronger defensively... even with a second-choice back four. I mean when you have Nelsen, Samba, Givet, Chimbonda, Jacobsen and Salgado to choose from... you're not doing too badly :)

Strikers is where the difference lies... but to be fair all our strikers are either out of form or unproven, so that doesn't necesarily mean they're worse. Not like Jo or Saha are anything to write home about anyway..

Pienaar is 10x better than Pederson.

The 3 key areas will be:

Our midfield...Can we get decent possesion, break up their play and move forward.

Our set pieces...Give the long throws a bit of a rest. Get Pedersen off corners and free-kicks and give Dunn and Diouf a go.

Our attacking play..... Looks like Roberts alone again and I just can't see us creating too much.

Hopefull of a 1-1.

• Backroom

We'll go 4-5-1, I wonder who misses out on a place on the bench, it would be harsh for Hoilett if its him as he has looked dangerous when given the chance.

I think we'll get beat 2-0 after wasting chances

And it continues.

The "optimists" are making Everton sound like Real Madrid, so if we don't get the result tomorrow the excuse will be "we were up against a great team! A draw is a good result! We should be happy, stop moaning!!"

Let's see how far these draws will take us at the end of the season.

And it continues.

The "optimists" are making Everton sound like Real Madrid, so if we don't get the result tomorrow the excuse will be "we were up against a great team! A draw is a good result! We should be happy, stop moaning!!"

Let's see how far these draws will take us at the end of the season.

after today, I must admit that for the first time I am beginning to doubt if Hughes can do the job. Hopefully he can turn things around, as so far it hasn't been good enough.

Forum: The Messageboard ·

Posted on: Sep 18 2005

how anyone can defend the team right now is beyond me. I've followed Rovers for over a decade and this was perhaps the biggest pile of crap I have ever seen. Newcastle were beyond terrible. They were the worst premiership team I have ever seen for many, mnay years. From the first whistle, they were practically on their knees begging for a trashing. Now only did we not trash them, not only did we not win, we actually lost. And not only did we actually lose, we lost 3-0. Everyone was to blame. If we can't score against this team than we are hopeless. Hughes's stupid defensive 5-men midfield tactic is obviously not working. This is not how we are going to win games. Even if Hughes' only aim is to barely keep the team above relegation by scraping some 0-0 draws, maybe someone needs to tell him that we also actually have to win games, a task that becomes extremely hard with tactics like this one. With the excpetion of Bellamy, none of our players can actually take on and beat a man. This reduces our scoring opportunaties to some lucky rebounds or set pieces. Souness has made a joke of Newcastle, yet he still leaves with 3 points and a big victory because we are compeltely clueless and helpless.

I can't remember the last time I've felt this disgusted by a Rovers result.

Forum: The Messageboard

Posted on: Sep 18 2005

I refuse to watch anymore, this is the biggest joke I have ever seen. We deserve to be relegated for what we have done today.

Posted on: Aug 27 2005

not really. He made a few wrong passes, held the ball well on a few occasions but nothing past ok.

Find Member's Posts

We played much better in the 2nd half, but obviously not enough. There is just no idea, no combination, no tactics involved in our attacks. It seems like the only thing we do is try to bundle the ball in the danger zone somehow and hope for some dumb luck. And it doesn't help when Kuqi misses are one and only real chance of the game. Maybe we just don't have the quality to do any better. Emerton is not good enough to beat the premiership defenders, that's as clear as daylight. Savage does little, and please, stop letting him take set-pieces. He screwed up every single one today. The defence that looked so solid at the end of the last season is in trouble again. Matteo/Gresko are bad, Todd has been a liability so far, and especially today this got exposed. In reality we should have lost by a lot more. Oh and another thing - someone explain to me how exactly does Baros, who did NOTHING in his entire stay at Liverpool, suddenly starts playing like a world-class star and runs his arse-off ?

Very angry with today's game.

we've played so badly this half it's beyond belief really. we look like an amateur team. Villa look like scoring every time they press forward, and we are completely toothless in attack. Every ball just ends up floating comftorbly at the hands of the keeper.

Sort it out Hughes.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,

And no one can talk to a horse of course

That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse

He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.

He's always on a steady course.

Talk to Mister Ed.

People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day

But Mr. Ed will never speak unless he has something to say

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,

And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.

You never heard of a talking horse?

Well listen to this: "I'm Mister Ed."

Cahill is a great goal scorer for a midfielder but is his all round game that good? Not really, pretty average. Fellaini isn't that great either, he's big and strong but not that skillful and I'm not sure he would be in David Moyes' best 11 if all were fit.

Grella played and Dunn both played very well against Wolves, time will tell but if they both stay fit I expect good a good season for them both.

Miker's sentence certainly wasn't laughable.

Big, big difference here is pace with physique. Grella lacks pace and physique against a bigger, quicker set of guys. Hes OK for your Wolves of this world, but now he faces some stronger players than what Wolves had a big, big test.

If he comes through this one on top then I'll be far more optimistic about Rovers chances for the season.

Felliani has the edge tomorrow lets see if Grella can prove me wrong.

Noone is giving Rovers a chance nor are they giving us any credit.

At a healthy 4 to 1 for a Rovers win its worth a punt.

Rovers will not play 4-5-1 its a 4-4-1-1 formation coupled with a 4-2-4 set up :D

Looking at some of the Everton forums there seems to be a consensus that they will give us a 3 or 4-0 pasting, can't see it myself i think it will be close. I just hope we give it a right proper go, make it hard for them to take all three points.

Honestly I'd take a point right now if it was on offer.

Archived