BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen- Time To Get Rid

• Backroom

The problem is our play is sooooo predictable. We are entirely reliant on set pieces to score, and if the opposition nullify that threat we are toothless.

We need to either sign some midfielders with genuine creativity or change the system.

My worry is that BFS gets £100m, blows it all, and we are still entirely reliant on set pieces as all he buys are taller players who can kick it further! ;)

This is why I'm hoping we sign Popov, he looks to have a bit of something about him.

Like Villanueva, he may have been a let down but he was unpredictable and you had the impression he could do something, same with Hoillet but again he is too lightweight and a bit headless.

I honestly think if Sam had the money he would rethink the tactics, at the minute though with NZonzi and Samba in the team and a lack of strikers, our most likely route to goal is the ball being stuck in the blender and hoping for the best.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obviously Sam's aim to play deeper than he did today, Dunn will occupy the attacking role when fit. I'd have Pedersen in the middle before Jones that's for sure and Emerton isn't the player he was, I like the look of Linganzi and hopefully in time he and Nzonzi can make a good partnership but for now Pedersen is the best option IMO.

I'd have Emerton ahead of Pedersen. He had a good WC too, so he shouldn't be ruled out.

MGP is playing much better but still frustrates.

Foster made a hash of catching a cross ending way outside his goal with the ball dropping nicely to MGP. Instead of volleying straight back into the mixer with the keeper stranded, MGP lazily chipped it up and Foster gratefully caught it.

Crazy decision making by MGP.

And yes it was a cracking save from the pen but the arc of the run said it was going to the keeper's left all the way and Foster was actually airborne when it was struck. An instinctive penalty taker would have hit it to the right at that point.

Fair play I'll have to see it again on tv but surely the strikers should be taking pens?MGP had a good game though.

That doesn't necessarily follow imy. In fact I'd say the opposite frequently applies. Apart from Shearer the best penalty takers I can rem are from midfield and defence. Alexander got another today and has a fantastic record. Lawler hardly missed any for Lpool way back, Stuart Pearce and Julian Dicks had superb pen records. Despite the likes of Torres, Drogba and RVP in their teams Gerrard takes em for Livvie and Lampard for Chelsea and I think Fabregas takes em for Arsenal.

And yes it was a cracking save from the pen but the arc of the run said it was going to the keeper's left all the way

I don't agree with that. His run up would have made it easier to knock it in to the keepers right.

Peds had a very good near post corner delivery. Problem was every single one of them was to the same spot which made it easier for Brum to defend against.

For what it's worth I thought until the pen Peds had a good game. There were a couple of really nice touches and he certainly is good as the all rounder in midfield. I'd be very excited about seeing a central midfield of N'Zonzi and Peds with a creative player just in front of them as the link up. Think that could work rather wel indeed.

Pederson is a confidence player, not in a million years would I have let him take that pen, although the pen wasnt all that bad the last thing we need is his confidence denting.

Kalinic took plenty of pens for his previous team and it was my initial thought that he would take it, not only the fact that he has took them before but it also bumps his season goal tally too.

Yeah and call me crazy, but i think after the third or 4th time, brum knew to defend the near post...

I don't think they did - we scored from one and another resulted in a defensive header on the roof of the net both in the second half. He was putting them there because Birmingham were not dealing with them.

• Backroom

Can we afford a place in the team to a player that's only useful at set pieces?

Only useful at set pieces? He was MOTM against Everton and by most accounts good again today, plus he's useful at set pieces.

I don't think they did - we scored from one and another resulted in a defensive header on the roof of the net both in the second half. He was putting them there because Birmingham were not dealing with them.

We scored on the first near post floater. Then every other corner was dealt with handily. I'm not saying that style is useless, but it becomes usless 6 times. A laser far post or a cross to the back of the 18 for a shot, anything to mix it up. I'm the first one to celebrate when one of his deliveries works, but it doesn't excuse 10 other less than average attempts imo.

Only useful at set pieces? He was MOTM against Everton and by most accounts good again today, plus he's useful at set pieces.

I think most people had Jones as MOTM despite the award at the game, certainly the Lancs Telegraph and the Observer did. Let's be honest, the MOTM award at the games is more about who hasn't had a new watch for a while than how they've played! ;)

Although he's doing OK (penalties aside!), he's only a stop-gap in midfield until we can afford a proper centre midfielder. Now if we can buy one who can take a half-decent free-kick, then I can 't see where Pedersen fits in the team barring injuries.

Why does everybody start whinging about peds because we got beat. Yes he miss a penalty but his performance was good yesterday. he didn't let the miss get to him. he's better in the centre of midfield because he see more of the ball and can get more involved in the game. we lost yesterday because salgado was out of position and we didn't close down the ball before gardner shoot, plus our chances we miss aswell. Can we stop moaning about peds and support him. he's a good player and will have a good season.

Archived