BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 09/10 Promotions

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three cheers fror Blackpool. The Lancashire home of football lost Burnley from the top flight but the Seasiders have stepped up to replace them. Now can please both Preston and Burnley win promotion next season too ?

he was released coz he wasnt good enough

Exactly...and proven a correct decision as he's never been a decent Premier League player.

Absolutely delighted for Blackpool, I was worried the Premier League would be without a 'romantic' promotion after Newcastle and West Brom came up.

Things like this are going to get so much harder when the extended parachute payments kick in, so it should be enjoyed.

I'm happy to see Blackpool come up - There'll be a good chance for us to break the 26,000 average crowd barrier too next season with Newcastle & WBA replacing Hull & Portsmouth whilst Blackpool should bring a similar following as Bumley... :)

Whats the saying? you reap what you sow? absolutely no sympathy for the club,although i feel for the fans.

Sorry, that's what i was implying. Agree with you completely, just didn't make myself clear

MASSIVE changes needed to stay up - but to be honest I dont think they will be too bothered about that with £90m in their pockets.

Just recently this has become an interesting aspect of Championship football. Get promoted, try to avoid too much embarrasment for a season, accept relegation and then your club shoud be financially set up very nicely unless you blew everyhting on players and wages chasing the dream. I'm not sure this is a good thing?

Any way great news for Blackpool, they must be feeling fantastic this morning.

Amazing revival of Lancashire as a football force continues even though the giants all faltered this year.

In the '80s I despaired as QPR, Charlton, Wimbledon, Millwall, Luton, Watford and Palace all colonised the top flight but isn't it great to see Rovers, Wigan and Bolton as long term Prem residents with the likes of the dingles and Blackpool popping in as well?

Pity the north enders. They've seen all the lancs town teams make it to the top league and now little old Blackpool have made their mid term future secure, - while PNE are hanging onto their existence by a thread.

Warra shame :D

Can't imagine how Lawrenson feels. :)

I'm happy to see Blackpool come up - There'll be a good chance for us to break the 26,000 average crowd barrier too next season with Newcastle & WBA replacing Hull & Portsmouth whilst Blackpool should bring a similar following as Bumley... :)

You would hope so - esepecially if we can maintain 19k ST holders. Blackpool will fill what we give them, as will Newcastle. And West Brom will fill thier 3k.

Just recently this has become an interesting aspect of Championship football. Get promoted, try to avoid too much embarrasment for a season, accept relegation and then your club shoud be financially set up very nicely unless you blew everyhting on players and wages chasing the dream. I'm not sure this is a good thing?

Any way great news for Blackpool, they must be feeling fantastic this morning.

Very true...dont think its a bad thing either.

They should be able to finish their stadium too, aswell as clear any debts if they have any. It will also provide Blackpool hotels with approx £3m bonus per season it was saying the other day.

CANNOT Wait for the away game!! What a quality away day that should be!

September 1979. Lost 1-2 at Bloomfield Road in the promotion-winning season under Howard Kendall.

31 YEARS!!! 31 YEARS!!!! 31 YEARS!!!

Very true...dont think its a bad thing either.

They should be able to finish their stadium too, aswell as clear any debts if they have any. It will also provide Blackpool hotels with approx £3m bonus per season it was saying the other day.

I don't think Paul is specifically talking about Blackpool. But the way the PL gives the money, with the parachute payments, is essentially creating a money division within the Championship so that in a few years only a few teams will have the financial clout to reach the PL. This is possibly so eventually they will create a PL2 which has been a long term plan it seems.

There'll be no more stories like Blackpool's.

I dont buy that! Football is a special sport and their will always be an under-dog that will suprise people....Look at Blackpool - favs for relegation, land the play offs by a late surge and then JACKPOT!

Eventually their will be a 2nd prem - no doubt about that!

Dont get over excited about the prospect f a day out in Blackpool. The exclusion of away fans for next season is still a very hot topic on their agenda. Work begins immediately on three aspects of their ground, medical and media as well as their training ground/pitch. the current structure for the east Stand isnt acceptable anymore.

But the way the PL gives the money, with the parachute payments, is essentially creating a money division within the Championship so that in a few years only a few teams will have the financial clout to reach the PL. This is possibly so eventually they will create a PL2 which has been a long term plan it seems.

There'll be no more stories like Blackpool's.

Agree with this, this seems to be the way things are going. Whether officially or unofficially it seems like we'll get a PL2 eventually. I guess that becomes the new dream for smaller clubs at the moment, and the fact that Blackpool have managed it shows both the beauty of the play offs, and more crucially, that we are not fully at the stage where money talks either.

Am looking forward to going to Blackpool - most of my family live not to far away so should be a very easy away game to get to.

BTW haven't checked back so appologies if this has already been mentioned but does anyone remember a pre-season friendly vs Blackpool in our first year during the championship. Think we played just our reserves, Flowers and Gillespie as I recall - couldn't imagine then that Blackpool would ever make it to the Premiership.

BTW haven't checked back so appologies if this has already been mentioned but does anyone remember a pre-season friendly vs Blackpool in our first year during the championship. Think we played just our reserves, Flowers and Gillespie as I recall - couldn't imagine then that Blackpool would ever make it to the Premiership.

Wrong year...

Yep I remember, red hot sunny day and a 0-0 draw. It was only Flowers and Gillespie which was a bit disappointing.

Yep I remember, red hot sunny day and a 0-0 draw. It was only Flowers and Gillespie which was a bit disappointing.

That's the one. Then when the teams were read out someone yelled "come on you reserves!" I have trouble remembering friendlies but this one seems particularly blank of incidents. Can only remember that and the shocking view because half of the terracing was blocked off.

I remember it well. Our 'new' signing Dwight Yorke played and ran from the halfway line bouncing the ball on his foot so that it didn't touch the ground. His shot missed though... :)

I think you're talking about the other Preason friendly in 2003 in which Yorke played.

In that game in 99 the team was Flowers (sub Williams), McNamee, Taylor, Brown, Richardson, Gillespie, Scates (sub Fitzpatrick), O'Brien, Corbett, Hamilton, Thomas (sub McAvoy).

Jimmy Corbett...£500,000 we paid for him!!

Archived