BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester United v Blackburn Rovers

colin

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just embarrassing to watch what has become of our team both on and off the field.

Off the field? Why? what have they been up to? If you mean being bought by a company who want us to do well in order to grow their other businesses from owners who no longer wanted us, then I don't see where you are coming from. and that's not the team,; it's the club. I doubt the players had any say in it or, as long as they get paid, any real concerns about it.

For me the most disappointing thing about Sam's reign so far - he sets his teams up to be negative - but we still can't defend.

Losing 7-1 would never be acceptable - but we may feel better if (as Blackpool) - we tried to play good football.

We do neither one thing or the other - rarely play attacking football and rarely look like we can keep a clean sheet.

For a manager that prides himself on his attention to detail - he has been found sadly lacking on a number of occasions at Rovers.

His only defence - is the number of injuries we have in midfield - though no one could argue Andrews, Nzonzi, Pedersen or Grella are world stars we have been left very exposed in this area.

Dont care about today. We were never going to get anything. 7-1? Obviously thats shocking, but if we beat Wolves next week then I couldnt care less. We've been hammered several times over the past 3/4 seasons, under Ince, Hughes and Sam. It happens. Its the reaction from those defeats that I care about. Against United at OT was never going to be a game which decides our season, does that excuse the pitiful result today? No, far from it, however there are bigger games in our season to come. If we lose 2-0 against Wolves then I would genuinely be far more concerned in comparison to today's 7-1 loss against Man Utd.

I feel sorry for the Rovers fans there today.

The result is dissappointing. And Sam deserves most of the blame. The team selection or tactics or both were all wrong. This cannot be disputed as the score line doesn't lie. And if a defeat is considered inevitable, why not go down like the Texans at the Alamo with a fighting line up? Our back 4 (excepting Chimbonda) pick themselves. Why not go with a front line of Kalinic, Roberts and M. Diouf, supported by a midfield of youngsters like Hoillett, Morris and Jones? We might lose (which is likely in any event) but at least the fans would be cheering on the lads as they battle.

Having said all of that, and after swallowing my dissappointment, a loss is not unexpected (though the score line is enough to make one want to scream). We are in a decent position going into December. We should pick up a more than acceptable point tally before the end of the year.

I really think McCarthy and Halloway have the right idea when playing the "big" clubs away. Go in with the second string, the youngsters. Send in the players who are hungry and have something to prove. I can think of at least three benefits associated with such a team selection:

1. It rests the first string and saves them from ego crushing defeats.

2. Worse case, it gives the second string some valuable game time/experience.

3. Best case, the second string take the opportunity to put pressure on the first string and prove they have what it takes.

And I think Jones, Hoillett and Morris demonstrated that the youngster have more fire in the belly than many of our 'experienced' hands. Chimbonda, for instance, should be relegated to the reserves for the balance of his contract (and hopefully sold and replaced in January). An ill Givet is a better pick.

And for those who want to replace Sam based on today's horrible performace (and despite an acceptable, if not great, 18 points in 15 games with more likely to come in December), with whom do we replace him? Many of the current/proven PL managers would never come to us without a promise of substantial funds (far more than the 5 million currrently bandied about). And of those who might, only Halloway is crazy enough, frugal enough and brilliant enough to take a scalpel to our Frankenstein-like squad and replace or inspire some of our non-performers to achieve at or above expected results, IMO. And I can't see Halloway leaving Blackpool short of relegation (or if certain armchair generals actually fine him for his team selection choices).

Sorry for the rant. I need to do some work and then drink some serious beer.

The result is dissappointing. And Sam deserves most of the blame. The team selection or tactics or both were all wrong. This cannot be disputed as the score line doesn't lie. And if a defeat is considered inevitable, why not go down like the Texans at the Alamo with a fighting line up? Our back 4 (excepting Chimbonda) pick themselves. Why not go with a front line of Kalinic, Roberts and M. Diouf, supported by a midfield of youngsters like Hoillett, Morris and Jones? We might lose (which is likely in any event) but at least the fans would be cheering on the lads as they battle.

Having said all of that, and after swallowing my dissappointment, a loss is not unexpected (though the score line is enough to make one want to scream). We are in a decent position going into December. We should pick up a more than acceptable point tally before the end of the year.

I really think McCarthy and Halloway have the right idea when playing the "big" clubs away. Go in with the second string, the youngsters. Send in the players who are hungry and have something to prove. I can think of at least three benefits associated with such a team selection:

1. It rests the first string and saves them from ego crushing defeats.

2. Worse case, it gives the second string some valuable game time/experience.

3. Best case, the second string take the opportunity to put pressure on the first string and prove they have what it takes.

And I think Jones, Hoillett and Morris demonstrated that the youngster have more fire in the belly than many of our 'experienced' hands. Chimbonda, for instance, should be relegated to the reserves for the balance of his contract (and hopefully sold and replaced in January). An ill Givet is a better pick.

And for those who want to replace Sam based on today's horrible performace (and despite an acceptable, if not great, 18 points in 15 games with more likely to come in December), with whom do we replace him? Many of the current/proven PL managers would never come to us without a promise of substantial funds (far more than the 5 million currrently bandied about). And of those who might, only Halloway is crazy enough, frugal enough and brilliant enough to take a scalpel to our Frankenstein-like squad and replace or inspire some of our non-performers to achieve at or above expected results, IMO. And I can't see Halloway leaving Blackpool short of relegation (or if certain armchair generals actually fine him for his team selection choices).

Sorry for the rant. I need to do some work and then drink some serious beer.

As a loan player M Diouf presumably couldn't play against his parent club.

Chimbonda should never wear a rovers shirt again awful and not just for the backpass which nelsen must take some blame for.thought all 3 subs did well in difficult circumstances,maybe linganzi should replace nelsen and let jones slot in beside samba.dunn looks to be finished,roberts didn't even have scraps to feed on.big investment needed,we need a left back,centre midfielder,right winger and at least 1 good striker,5 million just wont cut,worst performance ive ever witnessed by rovers.

I hope that the Chimp never plays again !! 5 goals he served to them today !

And the goal to 3-0, is he braindead or what ??

I did not expect a result today, but this is probably the most embarrassing I've experienced as a supporter of Blackburn.

One tiny point smoss Mame diouf couldn't play against his club.

As a loan player M Diouf presumably couldn't play against his parent club.

Sorry. I typed in a fit of frustration. If I had waited until I was entirely in my rational mind I would have caught that. Mea culpa.

I think the substance, if not some of my details, holds true in any event. Move Hoilet up and substitute EHD in his place in the midfield. If defeat is really 'inevitable', do something attacking and completely different. At least that way we'd have legitimate excuse(s) such as we were experimenting, giving the youngsters a chance, trying to entertain the fans, etc. It feels like we do the same thing over and over, expecting a different result, and then are disappointed-surprised with the same old sad conclusion.

Throwing the youngsters to the lions wouldn't necessarily have been the best idea. What would it have done for Morris' confidence if he had started and been ripped apart by Nani and co? Just because they are younger doesn't mean they will have more opportunity to attack (possibly the reverse), we would have been battling an FA charge for fielding a weakened team, and we still would have taken 0 points and a few knocks against the goal difference fromthe day.

Move on, we have a few games in December and we can at least compete for wins in all of them. No recriminations through the week, we've got to forget this game and get on with our preparations for Wolves.

Absolutely gutted.

Very, very embarassing and could have been worse.

When I saw the team, feared the worse.

I don't totally blame Sam - what were his options in midfield ?

Onwards and upwards next week when we have Peds back and a couple more available.

Keep the faith with Sam.

off for a real stiff drink or two.

• Backroom

We all have bad days at the office Abbs.

I'm never for guilting or forcing people to give up their wages to charity as we have no idea what they pay privately as it should be done.

Archived