BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v West Ham

rovgers

265 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend as normal on Saturday?

• Yes
    • No - In protest
    • No - Unable to make it

I'd say strggling to fill 30000 home seats when you have a catchment area stretching from The City to the Essex coast

is 'poor' but what do I know?

If you genuinely believe that West Ham have fewer supporters than us, and if you cannot see how having a third of Ewood empty each week equates to neutrals viewing our support as 'poor', then fine. I cant be bothered. Im not going to argue.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not what I'm saying at all, when they got to the Cup Final in 2006 I'm sure they could have sold the Millenium Stadium out on their own- we can but dream.

However, the crowds we get from a small hemmed in town are unparelleled, but a combination of ignorant media and sheep like fans means we never get the credit for that fact.

Not what I'm saying at all, when they got to the Cup Final in 2006 I'm sure they could have sold the Millenium Stadium out on their own- we can but dream.

However, the crowds we get from a small hemmed in town are unparelleled, but a combination of ignorant media and sheep like fans means we never get the credit for that fact.

Our support is poor relative to other teams in the league, as mentioned previously. You are absolutely correct in that we extract our support from a tiny catchment area and therefore we do very well to get the 20k each week that we do, however that still doesnt really change the fact that our support is relatively poor. Thats the point. Thats the perception other fans have and quite frankly you cannot really blame people for thinking that way when half the Darwen End is empty tomorrow afternoon.

Clearly our stadium is 5k too big, but thats a different issue.

'Poor' is a pejorative word, 'lower' unquestionably.

Without doubt Ewood is 3-5k too large, obviously Jack was 'thinking big', perhaps too big!

It riles me as we get similar crowds to clubs like Birmingham, West Brom etc- much bigger catchment areas yet they don't get half the abuse we get.

1995 and all that jealousy is a lot to do with it.

You're still missing the point booth. What a manager has to do, is what we've been doing very well at home for the last two seasons - win. For any manager, it's not about being "more attacking", it's about finding a balance that brings 3 points. Which is what we've been doing very well, at home, for the last two years.

Agreed?

I'm not really sure what you're on about if Im honest. Saying we need to win is kind of obvious really, I don't think anyone disputes we need to win. It's what gets promotion, safety, silverware and money. But I believe that when we attack teams we seem to do better. For example against Wolves, we are 3-0 up and the bench tells them to defend deep and try to keep possession. Only for Robbo they'd have got back into that match. Because we stopped attacking it gave their defence a break and allowed them to get more bodies forward. For me that's what I hated most about SA. Forget hoof ball and baffling team selections I could put up with that. It was infuriating when I received a text in the second half of the Burnley match when I got a text from my Burnley mate. He said now that Sam had told us to lay off the gas they might get something out of it. The text ended with him saying he orignally thought they were going to get beat by five goals again. And I do believe we would have done had it not been for the about turn around in the tactics dept, so did my dingle loving chum.

If you believe SA was bringing balance, I don't agree. With Sam it was all or nothing unlike Hughes who could mix it up. If you mean we can't go gung ho then yes I do agree.

Football isn't that black and white, it shouldn't be just defend or attack. If you see an opportunity you should go for it despite the tactics. Against Wolves in the last 20 minutes it was like the players were afraid of getting their pay docked if they attempted to shoot on goal.

I'm not really sure what you're on about if Im honest.

I'm not trying to be clever booth, but what I'm saying is quite simple. We've had an excellent home record for the past two years, coupled with good league position - so no matter what kind of football we play, if our overall league position falls, then that's a backward step from where we were under Allardyce - would you agree with that then?

How do you think Venky's would react to the side playing a more open, attacking game during the season, but gaining fewer points and flirting with relegation?

You're still missing the point booth. What a manager has to do, is what we've been doing very well at home for the last two seasons - win. For any manager, it's not about being "more attacking", it's about finding a balance that brings 3 points. Which is what we've been doing very well, at home, for the last two years.

Agreed?

Absolutely and 100%. A plus one for you, and two if I were allowed. :tu:

Without doubt Ewood is 3-5k too large, obviously Jack was 'thinking big', perhaps too big!

It riles me as we get similar crowds to clubs like Birmingham, West Brom etc- much bigger catchment areas yet they don't get half the abuse we get.

I think Jack Walker thinking big was and is a huge benefit for the club. Ewood is something that served the Rovers well then and should well into the next decade plus as our support grows. And I say that as we are thinking positive, and growth equals revenue and revenue equals increased prospects for quality players/management and quality players/management equals silverware which equals yet more growth.

Jack Walker dreamed of Rovers success. The one positive I see in Venkys at this date, is that they also dream of Rovers success. And that may be enough in the end.

Of course, Jack dreamed of success as he was a fan whiel Venkys wants to capitalize on their marketing/hobnobbing with celebrities prospects. But in the end our owner's motivation is irrelevant, what counts is what they do to safeguard and move the club onward.

Back on subject, I think Kean and the squad will do us proud tomorrow.

I'm not trying to be clever booth, but what I'm saying is quite simple. We've had an excellent home record for the past two years, coupled with good league position - so no matter what kind of football we play, if our overall league position falls, then that's a backward step from where we were under Allardyce - would you agree with that then?

How do you think Venky's would react to the side playing a more open, attacking game during the season, but gaining fewer points and flirting with relegation?

I agree with that but how many times have we lamented so called lost points due to our rather cagey attitude. I'm not saying we should go gung ho, but for example in the cup matches last year we were a lot easier on the eye so we know the team can play better without capitulating. Its a shame more fans didnt turn up for those games as they were the better games under Sam. I would love to see those kinds of performances translate to the league.

From Morten's blog:

Kean is a very talented and respected man within Blackburn Rovers and I am not at all worried about the future. The team has agreed that we should only look forward and that is always the next game. This time it’s West Ham and they will pay for the incredibly annoying defeat to Bolton. The mood of the club is very good, and people enjoying themselves on training.

Hopefully all the players are in the same state of mind.

I agree with that but how many times have we lamented so called lost points due to our rather cagey attitude. I'm not saying we should go gung ho, but for example in the cup matches last year we were a lot easier on the eye so we know the team can play better without capitulating. Its a shame more fans didnt turn up for those games as they were the better games under Sam. I would love to see those kinds of performances translate to the league.

Cup games are always different to league games. All teams set themselves up differently for cup ties.

And all teams lose points too. But that so called "cagey" attitude has arguably gained us more points than its lost, it made us a very solid and hard to break down side during Sam's reign...apart from the few times we played big name opposition away from home.

Well with the way they have begun their ownership who knows! They don't seem to follow normal logic.

I think the way Sam had us playing is in a way a good foundation to progress. We had started to, at times play some nicer football. It's not completely alien to the team to get the ball down and attack. If anything the aimless long balls cost us points at times, the hopeful punts just come back at us 90% of the time.

Bearing in mind the weather conditions there there's only one thing I want to know and only one person to ask...

Hughesy...

...Is the game on or not?

doubt it as its snowing very heavy around Ewood at the moment and has been for the last hour or so !

And all teams lose points too. But that so called "cagey" attitude has arguably gained us more points than its lost, it made us a very solid and hard to break down side during Sam's reign...apart from the few times we played big name opposition away from home.

Well that's where I disagree, like Dan I think the 9 men in our own half while hoofing it to the lone poor git up front routine caused us more trouble than it was worth. I just can't see how that worked and I'm not afraid to say so. We appeared to do much better when we gave the opposition a game. Birmingham last season for example.

At the end of last season we became defensively very solid and strangely enough we started playing better as a team all round without the cagey attitude we displayed against teams like West Ham and Wolves (first half). Pulling everyone back and trying to soak up an onslaught is asking for trouble. Just my two pennorth.

You missed what I meant about cup games btw. I was just pointing out that when allowed they are capable of causing the opposition problems going forward.

I know I have been as unhappy as anyone at Venkys' involvement of Kentaro in the management of our club.

But it is incredibly important we win this game tomorrow.

So please keep the protests until AFTER the game so that nothing can distract the players from the job at hand.

If we should go 0-2 down the roof will fall in.

• Backroom

Green out for tomorrow. Looks like you guys will have an even easier win.

If I was you I would be going down the bookies and put my mortgage on Rovers.

Is green being out good or bad for rovers? Who is his stand in?

I think it will be 2-2 tomorrow.

Sorry about your bad luck Daremz that is really bad news.

Nervous about tomorrow as it's a tricky game given the circumstances, think this board may be best avoided if we lose as some will be revelling in it.

It'll be no different than every Sunday over the past two years then Tom. :rolleyes:

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Archived