BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Sam for Burnley

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that we have only been in a position to do that for about 12 years out of the last 30 makes it an odd point to make about appointments if that is the case.

But the others didn't get you in a position where you could make it - hence they were bad appointments at that time and at that level - surely

But the others didn't get you in a position where you could make it - hence they were bad appointments at that time and at that level - surely

Mullen - appointment in 4th division, left us a league higher.

Ternent - Same, but from the league above

I would argue that they were very good appointments, unable to take us higher but good appointments.

Makes for a change to see nicko scrapping with the Guardian's report and a former Burnley manager (?) rather than just the usual suspects.

From Sam's perspective, this story has got him back on the back pages again so, whether he instigated it or not, it has been a positive sort of day. If he lurks on here he will have seen that even if he stooped to dingle managing, Rovers fans still respect him.

I see Sam has ruled HIMSELF out, who would have thought that ;)

And aren't we glad over in Blackburn. He would not only have got you promoted for sure, but he would have kept you up in spite of Scrooge holding your purse strings. And in addition you would probably pinch a point or two off us with Sams tuition.

I was once stood next to Shearer in the toilets of a Newcastle Club, it was the day he got freedom of the city (I think, my employers at the time had got the same accolade that day so I might have imagined he did as well) and I jokingly said to him (with slur and everything) ' what you need to do in a few years is come to Burnley for the last year of your playing days as player/manager and take us back to where we belong'

Fair play to him he joined in and just said 'Not to Blackburn then?'

But Shearer, seems 100% commited to his media work and not sure he could do much for us.

Problem is Sambo they pocketed a load of Premier League cash, compo for Coyle, big money for Fletcher and now parachute payments, without spending much at all. They have a squad capable of promotion as they've already proved, a load of cash, add an excellent manager to it and they're a great bet for promotion and more.

If Sam wants Burnley he'll get it and they'll be up next year.

They still have a seriously long road to go to have the quality in their squad that is required to stay up and make a good impression. Even armed with their millions from their fairytale and the potential payments from getting back, they will be years catching us up. We're also supposedly backed now and willing to spend money well above what they would or could if they came back up.

My biggest fear in Sam taking over is his record against his previous clubs is immense and given all that's gone on on top he'll be dangerous should he return to Ewood. I still think we would finish above them, but not convinced we'd do the double over them.

EDIT: people might also want to consider that the likes of Howard, Lamb have worked with Sam 2 or 3 times previously. Howard, Newcastle, bolton and us, lamb Newcastle and Bolton, would they walk out and go to Burnley? You'd have to think that they would consider it after all that's gone on and their strong relationship with Sam. Losing our whole SS team would be interesting to say the least.

Sam to Burnley?

What a non-story this is.

Nice for Sam to keep in the news, but he knows he would be a serious contender for any lower-half Premiership vacancy.

Exactly.

Sam actually stated in an interview recently that, unless absolutely necessary, he wouldn't be stooping into the Championship.

And why should he?

It was never going to happen.

Not sure if anyone has already seen this but the Guardian suggests a "close source to Allardyce" advises he has ruled himself out of the running.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/30/sam-allardyce-burnley-preston

I think this backs up my point, take anything you read in the tabloids with an extra large pinch of salt. One rag says something, the other says something completely the opposite.

I cant see why someone who only 4 weeks ago was been tipped by Capello as a candidate to be the next England Manager, would take on the Burnley job. It's such a risk for him, if he fails, thats his reputation down the drain, and any hopes of managing a top club gone. I think he is holding out for one of the prem league jobs which may well be coming available very soon. If none of them come a knocking, he will try his hand abroad somewhere I think. I think Nicko is way of the mark on this one to be honest.

I saw what you changed in my quote, I just don't see what the changes brought to the table. I assume you've cracked a personal joke that is far too cryptic for me to understand.

No joke, I said "someone like Syed", your reply was ...........as if I had singled out Syed in particular.

In other words anyone with a decent amount of money to invest with say Sam as manager and they could well be serious rivals again.

Not sure if anyone has already seen this but the Guardian suggests a "close source to Allardyce" advises he has ruled himself out of the running.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/30/sam-allardyce-burnley-preston

I think this backs up my point, take anything you read in the tabloids with an extra large pinch of salt. One rag says something, the other says something completely the opposite.

I cant see why someone who only 4 weeks ago was been tipped by Capello as a candidate to be the next England Manager, would take on the Burnley job. It's such a risk for him, if he fails, thats his reputation down the drain, and any hopes of managing a top club gone. I think he is holding out for one of the prem league jobs which may well be coming available very soon. If none of them come a knocking, he will try his hand abroad somewhere I think. I think Nicko is way of the mark on this one to be honest.

He is not exactly starting out fresh, I don't think his free bus pass will be affected. I reckon he only has one more job in him, but like most others think that will be to save one of the clubs about to go into free fall in the PL.

1 SOCCER Burnley McInnes

McINNES LINKED WITH TURF MOOR JOB

By Ronnie Esplin, Press Association Sport

St Johnstone boss Derek McInnes has emerged as a leading candidate to become the next manager of Burnley.

The Lancashire club are on the hunt for a new boss after the departure of Brian Laws and according to one bookmaker the Scot is in the running behind favourite Eddie Howe, Phil Brown and another Scotsman, Paul Lambert.

McInnes is also being mentioned for the vacant manager's position at Preston following the sacking of Darren Ferguson but the more likely destination is Turf Moor.

Burnley tempted Owen Coyle from McDiarmid Park in November 2007 and his success in leading the club into the Barclays Premier League in his first full season in charge may help McInnes follow in his footsteps.

The former Rangers, West Brom and Dundee United midfielder is recognised on both sides of the border as one of the brightest up-and-coming managers in the game and may get a chance to join the long list of Scottish managers currently plying their trade in England.

Burnley first team coach Stuart Gray has been placed in charge of the Lancashire club on a caretaker basis and will be assisted by youth team coach Terry Pashley and club captain Graham Alexander.

Unless Burnley bottle it...

The feeler was put out today within an hour of the sacking.

Burnley would be mental to turn him down. Give him it until summer, hand him a huge bonus...job's a good un.

Not Burnleys style to pay someone £3m+ pa imo. Allardyce will surely get offered a much better job than that in the Prem. Villa, West Ham, Fulham, Brum, Wolves and even (unlikely cos they think they are better than they are) Liverpool will provide a greater platform for his talents than the backwater of Burnley.

Revenge is a dish best served cold and he needs to cool down and think with a level head.

Archived