BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

731 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean stay or go

That may be the case but he's what we've got and in the circumstances it's up to us to back him and the players to the hilt to try and get some points on the board.

Sam is history. The Trust is history. What Sam might or might not have done is irrelevant now. Give it a rest and back the Manager and the boys. there's nothing else we can do right now.

Don't disagree with any of this Roversmum. Simply replying specifically to Gav's points as to what my motives were.

Whether we all agree on here or not has bugger all to do with it. Whatever is said on here it certainly won't influence the players or get the best team picked or make the best strategic sub decisions or sort the defence out. They are tasks for Kean!

And I sincerely wish him all the best with them. That's a given for all Rovers supporters.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone is suggesting taking "Kean Out" placards to Ewood or booing him on match days, of course during the heat of battle (war analogy for GAV) we should cheer our team and our manager but 'supporting the manager' doesn't mean you can't then come on a Rovers message board and write about your true worries for the club and rate the manager honestly.

If we go one up against Blackpool I'll be singing "Steve Kean's Blue & White Army" as loud as the next man but that won't stop me from worrying about his longterm ability to manage our club or from expressing those views on a fans forum like BRFCS.

If you wanna only talk about positives, ignore inevitable derailments and wear club coloured glasses 24/7 join a Liverpool or Newcastle board. I honestly think Rovers have a good set of intelligent fans, realistic without being overly pessimistic and that still applies despite the circus that surrounds our club right now.

Anyway, I'm off to iron my Burnley shirt and put my Claret and Blue scarf on....well in GAV's head anyway.

Totally agree with Tony Parkes' comments. I don't rate Kean personally but considering we're 14th and that he was a hero 2 months ago, many fans are becoming a bit hysterical about what is still just a bad run. I wouldn't wanna be lumped in the same bracket as the destructive moaners who used to constantly undermine Allardyce (no doubt GAV was one) so he's got my full support at the ground as long as we have a chance of turning it around.

Looks like we are finally starting to climb that curve... Maybe the public backing of Kean at his lowest point is the tangible communication from the owners that people have been waiting for.

the-change-curve.jpg

I don't think anyone is suggesting taking "Kean Out" placards to Ewood or booing him on match days, of course during the heat of battle (war analogy for GAV) we should cheer our team and our manager but 'supporting the manager' doesn't mean you can't then come on a Rovers message board and write about your true worries for the club and rate the manager honestly.

If we go one up against Blackpool I'll be singing "Steve Kean's Blue & White Army" as loud as the next man but that won't stop me from worrying about his longterm ability to manage our club or from expressing those views on a fans forum like BRFCS.

If you wanna only talk about positives, ignore inevitable derailments and wear club coloured glasses 24/7 join a Liverpool or Newcastle board. I honestly think Rovers have a good set of intelligent fans, realistic without being overly pessimistic and that still applies despite the circus that surrounds our club right now.

Anyway, I'm off to iron my Burnley shirt and put my Claret and Blue scarf on....well in GAV's head anyway.

Completely agree.

There are absolutely genuine issues with regards to our long-term future and the long-term future depends completely on how we do in the short-term.

Having concerns about Kean's (so far poor) performance as manager is natural in the cirumstancs and doesn't make you any less of a Rovers fan; quite the opposite.

Everyone should get behind the team for the forthcoming teams but in everyday life do you just accept something that's not right, bury your head and hope it all works out?

No, you don't.

You challenge the issue and do whatever is in your power to rectify it - and in this situation, by us identifying the problems, discussing them and the possible solutions, we're showing that we actually give a damn about what is without doubt a pretty serious situation at the club.

The issue that's damaging to the club right now is not fans questioning Kean, it's the constant bickering, side-taking and point-scoring that's going on in placed like this.

Its no wonder the majority of decent poster have long since left for pastures new. An unhealthy mix of posters who never attend games, to the usual suspects with hidden agendas/teams.

But despite all of this, hardly any of you support the manager, he’s been in the job 3 months and the 1% of our support that post on here want him gone, spineless, but not one disparaging voice on Sky yesterday

The modern day Rovers fan, brought up on Shearer and money, never known the hard times.

BRFC RIP.

Is that the same kind of hidden agenda that many had and you still have against Sam? I notice the anti-BFS brigade are very quiet thesedays, must be all the success on the pitch that's keeping them quiet.

I don't mind Steve Kean, he talks a good game and it certainly isn't his fault that we are in this situation. It is Venky's fault for employing him. Stand outside Ewood before the Blackpool game and take a Poll of fans, you will find that the figures are similar to here. The guy can't manage the team and has no tactical brain, it doesn't take much to realise that. He chops and changes the team every week, the key to success (as pointed out by his employers) is consistancy.

I may not have known the hard times of Division 3 but does that mean that my opinion is less valid? 2 seasons in Division 1 was enough for me, I'd like us to stay in the PL and remain in existance.

When you cant accept that most people have an opinion contrary to yours then you're virtually a dictator.

I agree with modes98. If we took a poll before the Blackpool game, then we'd have virtually the same results as the 400-500 people who voted here. At the same time, if we beat Blackpool and take a vote after it, then we will still see quite a high percentage still voting in the same pattern of before, but Im virtually sure 10-15% wagon fans will jump on or off it depending on how you see things. Those are people who change their opinion day to day depending on what they see/hear last.

When you cant accept that most people have an opinion contrary to yours then you're virtually a dictator.

I agree with modes98. If we took a poll before the Blackpool game, then we'd have virtually the same results as the 400-500 people who voted here. At the same time, if we beat Blackpool and take a vote after it, then we will still see quite a high percentage still voting in the same pattern of before, but Im virtually sure 10-15% wagon fans will jump on or off it depending on how you see things. Those are people who change their opinion day to day depending on what they see/hear last.

Certainly all True Rover Fans will be cheering for a Rovers victory and I certainly would vote for Kean Out no matter what the result. Living here in Thailand the 3pm games are on at 10pm at night, which makes them great for watching and enjoying a nice cold beer. Since the WHU game I have no been able to drink and watch Rovers, its not a good combination.

I don't mind Steve Kean, he talks a good game and it certainly isn't his fault that we are in this situation. It is Venky's fault for employing him. Stand outside Ewood before the Blackpool game and take a Poll of fans, you will find that the figures are similar to here. The guy can't manage the team and has no tactical brain, it doesn't take much to realise that. He chops and changes the team every week, the key to success (as pointed out by his employers) is consistancy.

Whether you like him or not isn't relevant at all in this case....

This chap has taken a massive job on knowing full well that he doesn't really have the expertise, experience or respect to do the job properly. It's not just some managers job at Mcdonalds that makes no difference at all to how the business is run in general, but this guys performance has a considerable impact on many peoples lives etc.....The fact that he's doing the job, proves that in fact he doesn't give a shyte about the club or the fans.....He should do the right thing and admit it's too much for him and suggest that the owners bring in a Venables type general manager to oversee and add that experience and respect. It has to happen now because his position will be untenable if we lose at the weekend.

I don't mind Steve Kean, he talks a good game and it certainly isn't his fault that we are in this situation. It is Venky's fault for employing him.

Venky's should not have employed Kean and compounded the error by giving him a long contract that will cost alot of money to terminate but unfortunately the commercial world is full of ambitious, over-promoted people such as Steve Kean who "talk a good game" but quickly get found out and have nothing to back it up the apparent confidence in their ability to do the job. They then move on to other organisations and repeat the trick, making a very good living in the process. Workers (and the country) pay a high price for these charlatans in terms of closed factories and lost jobs and in football terms Rovers supporters are suffering by seeing the club heading for relegation. In the end it's all down to mismanagement from the top.

Steve Kean is attempting to play an attractive brand of football, no one can knock him for trying to do that, it’s the naivity that he believes he can do this with the quality of the central midfield and the team in general available to him.

I bring this up today in the light of the Arsenal – Barcelona game last night.

Arsenal are arguably the best footballing side in the Premier League, yet they were outplayed, outpassed and defeated by a Barcelona team who’s ball retention is the best I have ever seen, a work ethic and quality throughout the team where each player is comfortable on the ball.

Now, did Arsenal try to football them? No, they set the game up by defending in great numbers and at half time, despite Barcelonas possession, had restricted them to few chances, they defended in two solid banks of four, ok, they didn’t get forward much but Wenger recognised that the result was the objective and it could be said, had Van Persie stayed on the park, they may have just scraped through, undeserved as it may be, that could have been the scenario.

So when we slate Allardyce for going to places such as Old Trafford, The Emirates etc and trying to defend the game, reflect on this game last night, which in the end could easily have been 5 or 6 to Barcelona and that’s with an Arsenal squad light years ahead of Rovers.

So all who advocate that kind of football remember, you have to work within your

Means and for Steve Kean to try to change our game so quickly with the players at his disposal is at best naïve and at worst stupid, that’s why we are in the mess we are in at the moment!

I keep being told it is time to support the manager, normally by those that formerly criticised SA from the rooftops with the same old repetitive, boring drivel.

Well as far as I am concerned, the manager hopefully won't be here much longer and I am not prepared to ignore common sense or my own knowledge and blindly support a total incompetent with no experience or managerial history and seemingly little ability.

We took a gamble I did not agree with from day one. It has failed dismally. I am all for being positive and supportive, but realism far outweighs blind optimism and it is time to acknowledge the experiment was a total non-starter from the word go.

Who in their right mind would blindly continue to follow when all evidence suggests otherwise. Only a fool.

11 from 36. 1 from the last 15. 4 defeats in the last 5. 2 points off relegation. 12 conceded in the last 5. 9 of the 11 matches against teams below us when we played them.

What more evidence do you all need?

So when we slate Allardyce for going to places such as Old Trafford, The Emirates etc and trying to defend the game, reflect on this game last night, which in the end could easily have been 5 or 6 to Barcelona and thats with an Arsenal squad light years ahead of Rovers.

So all who advocate that kind of football remember, you have to work within your

Means and for Steve Kean to try to change our game so quickly with the players at his disposal is at best naïve and at worst stupid, thats why we are in the mess we are in at the moment!

Not the best example Kelbo as it was a cup game and not a league game where you get another 'chance' so to speak but I think I get your message.

In addition , VP or no VP, I think it was for the very reason they went against what they are used to that cost them in the end - but that's something we will never know now.

What more evidence do you all need?

None whatsoever but the owners apparently know better.

One thing is certain, they wouldn't continue to employ a failing manager at one of their chicken farms.

Whether you like him or not isn't relevant at all in this case....

Correct but my point about not minding Kean was more aimed towards the comment about people having an agenda against him. Some people hated Sam and wouldn't give him a chance. The majority gave Kean a chance and now are sure he isn't up to the job.

I have no ill feeling towards him, I just want him to leave. Whereas Ince I hate, so arrogant and ignorant.

Venky's should not have employed Kean and compounded the error by giving him a long contract that will cost alot of money to terminate but unfortunately the commercial world is full of ambitious, over-promoted people such as Steve Kean who "talk a good game" but quickly get found out and have nothing to back it up the apparent confidence in their ability to do the job.

All bad owners give crap managers long contracts. Them's the rules! Pardew 5 and half years!!!

Correct but my point about not minding Kean was more aimed towards the comment about people having an agenda against him. Some people hated Sam and wouldn't give him a chance. The majority gave Kean a chance and now are sure he isn't up to the job.

I have no ill feeling towards him, I just want him to leave. Whereas Ince I hate, so arrogant and ignorant.

All bad owners give crap managers long contracts. Them's the rules! Pardew 5 and half years!!!

Pardew was given a long contract just to get him to take the job, he had them over a barrel as no one else wanted the job,

The same scenario is developing at Ewood!

That may be the case but he's what we've got and in the circumstances it's up to us to back him and the players to the hilt to try and get some points on the board.

Sam is history. The Trust is history. What Sam might or might not have done is irrelevant now. Give it a rest and back the Manager and the boys. there's nothing else we can do right now.

Well said Mum, even I didn't give up on Allardyce after 3 months, yet these on here have waved the white flag already.

would you have been prepared to gamble with the clubs future to secure 'entertaining' football?

That's one of the most annoying things. We're not even seeing entertaining football.

The two goals against Fulham will be two of the scrappiest goals you'll ever see. We still look at our most threatening when sticking big men up there and hoping something will happen.

That's one of the most annoying things. We're not even seeing entertaining football.

The two goals against Fulham will be two of the scrappiest goals you'll ever see. We still look at our most threatening when sticking big men up there and hoping something will happen.

Hate to think of the selection of nominations for goals of the season this year. Was bad enough last year, but this year????

I've never given up on a Rovers manager after 3 months.

Come off it! Ince was never up to it, that was clear from at least October. As John Williams said, your only loyalty as Chairman is to the club and its wellbeing- therefore Ince had to go.

Archived