BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Clement

Since when was Xavi a defender ? You really ought to think harder before revealing the extent of your high-powered intellect.

By the way Piquet lumps the ball into the stands when necessary. All good defenders do.

He's quick is Piquet with a good engine.

Good at corners as well.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, he doesnt. Although your lack of knowledge on the subject is unsurprising seeing as you can't even spell his name.

He does actually. And so does Ferdinand and many other "modern" defenders. Going back farther, cultured world-class defenders such as Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore gave the ball the hoof when necessary. I've been watching football at all levels for more than 50 years - you stick to your playstation.

Of course he does it sometimes. The discussion is about whether it is good practice to teach young kids to "get rid". Like every over enthusiastic patent does at kids football.

Theno / Jim think it is good practice to teach it, whereas the Barcelona football academy does not.

So Pique does hoof it into the stands then? T4E said he didn't. He either does, or he doesn't.

There's some crap being posted on here. If you say Barcelona don't ever want their kids to clear their lines when they're under pressure, then where's your evidence?

Theno / Jim think it is good practice to teach it, whereas the Barcelona football academy does not.

Never said it was "good practice to teach it" - just there are situations when the ball has to be cleared long and away from danger. I'd be glad to know your insights from the Barcelona academy - have you attended ?

All sorts of clever people with high IQ's took the p1ss out of me on here last March after the Blackpool match for suggesting binning Kean forthwith and allotting Player/Manager duties to Nelsen and Samba.

So whose still taking the p1ss now? And does anybody think we would be in a worse or better position if we had followed that course of action?

I also around that time I suggested that Nelsen was a possible option as temporary manager if Kean was removed. I was sure we were going down and that we needed to change something asap.

My suggestion was picked up by Nixon and Vinjay and I was ridiculed on twitter....Good judges those two... ;)

Of course we would be in a far better position with Nelsen in charge. The players would have responded fully to him, the crowd would have been 100% behind him and after years playing at the top level of International and English football he would be far better qualified than the current plonker, irrespective of little badges and certificates.

Educated guy, well spoken, respected, role-model, ambassador, hard-working, professional, experienced, polished, tough, committed and classy. What a contrast to Kean!

Not going to happen, can only hope for some good news one day, don't know why I am bothering writing. (For those who know him - Vinjay has now changed allegiance and supports City. Sounds about right to me)!

I also around that time I suggested that Nelsen was a possible option as temporary manager if Kean was removed. I was sure we were going down and that we needed to change something asap.

My suggestion was picked up by Nixon and Vinjay and I was ridiculed on twitter....Good judges those two... ;)

Of course we would be in a far better position with Nelsen in charge. The players would have responded fully to him, the crowd would have been 100% behind him and after years playing at the top level of International and English football he would be far better qualified than the current plonker, irrespective of little badges and certificates.

Educated guy, well spoken, respected, role-model, ambassador, hard-working, professional, experienced, polished, tough, committed and classy. What a contrast to Kean!

Not going to happen, can only hope for some good news one day, don't know why I am bothering writing. (For those who know him - Vinjay has now changed allegiance and supports City. Sounds about right to me)!

Well Nelsen has sent back to New Zealand, so maybe you got Kean worried with the talk of Nelsen as manager.

He does actually. And so does Ferdinand and many other "modern" defenders. Going back farther, cultured world-class defenders such as Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore gave the ball the hoof when necessary. I've been watching football at all levels for more than 50 years - you stick to your playstation.

When does he do it? Go on Jim, show us. I have NEVER seen Gerard Pique lump the ball in to the stands, and I havent missed a Barca game in as long as I can remember. Not interested in how old you are, or the other defenders you are now falling back on, I'm talking about the one example that you gave that you cannot prove. Over to you.

Well Nelsen has sent back to New Zealand, so maybe you got Kean worried with the talk of Nelsen as manager.

Yeah I know OJ. I'm only pissing into the wind writing those comments.

Most of us visit the message boards each day keeping abreast of Rovers news. Remember back in the day when we sometimes had some good news to look forward to? Shoddy times for our great club. I keep reminding myself nothing lasts forever.

Kean Out - Venky's Out.

Only talking about defenders are we? I thought we were talking about defending not defenders.

You don't think Xavi should ever "get rid"?

If so, we are both on the same page.

Of course he does it sometimes. The discussion is about whether it is good practice to teach young kids to "get rid". Like every over enthusiastic patent does at kids football.

You teach kids to play football the correct way, to pass and move but there is a sting in the tail, bad habits are normally the ones taken on board at a young age, the brain is more receptive at a young age, yes, encourage to pass the ball whenever possible but, there has to be a line here, if a lad is progressing to higher levels, he will come unstuck by trying to pass his way out of trouble, the decision making of young players is the most difficult thing to teach, it takes time, they have got to know as early as possible when to release the ball and when knocking it out of play is the best option, as they become stronger, then knock it long, towards the corner flags when you need to wind the clock down or are on the back foot. It would be wonderful if football was played as suggested but it wont happen, even at a young age, decent teams will murder you if you dont know when to pass and when to put your foot through the ball!

So it's confirmed Clement has gone?

This has the potential to save our season. A good assistant could solve our defensive frailties and give us a fighting chance of survival. Kean obviously has the ability to get players motivated and get a good team spirit, so if we can find an assistant with tactical nouse...

I'm not holding out hold that it will happen, but it's a chance I didn't think we'd get after the mistake of hiring Clement. Third time lucky maybe.

(Edit: BTW Bucky - thanks for going with the discussion regarding coaching, I've decided to leave it!)

When does he do it? Go on Jim, show us. I have NEVER seen Gerard Pique lump the ball in to the stands, and I havent missed a Barca game in as long as I can remember. Not interested in how old you are, or the other defenders you are now falling back on, I'm talking about the one example that you gave that you cannot prove. Over to you.

I understand what you are saying. In general Barcelona would much rather play out of defence and are very good at doing it.

However and I don't have the link or example you are requesting, but I can assure you that Pique will on occasion use negative defensive tactics to clear danger in-front of the Barcelona goal.

I don't think you are going to listen, but at times there is obviously no other option. Far better to clear the ball aimlessly if need be, than concede.

Barcelona dominate so many games and play in the opponents third so much that they can play with a high back line to compress the play and defenders subsequently have time on the ball. Opposition teams normally play one upfront, which again provides numerical advantage and allows the defenders time to consider their options. Defenders drop deep to collect off the keeper and opposition forwards won't press man to man so again they have more time at the back to buiild attacks. Coupled with the fact they are amazing players and can control the ball on a six-pence with total confidence.

There won't be many occasions most games, when Barcelona are scrambling at the back. But when needed they will have to clear their lines, like all in football.

I am also of the opinion that our youngsters should be encouraged to pass and move and retain possession. I am sure they would enjoy it more. Emphasis should be removed from winning at all costs, to developing junior players technically. This is my biggest bug-bear with the manager who runs my lad's team. He is great at organising it all, everyone turns up on time, the oranges are fresh, but he knows little about football and has never played to a decent level, so I have to constantly bite my lip as he screams 'get rid' or 'clear your lines'. Kids should never hear - get rid - but should be educated there is a time and a place for longer clearances and the appropriate decision making. Pleasingly things are changing, but only slowly. A new generation of coaches are appearing, all more knowledgable due to Sky and the availability of coaching information. Step by step.

Pro-sport is totally different however and too much is at stake for niceties. Perfectly acceptable to clear your lines when required and an acceptable option for the very best players in the world when needed.

So Pique does hoof it into the stands then? T4E said he didn't. He either does, or he doesn't.

There's some crap being posted on here. If you say Barcelona don't ever want their kids to clear their lines when they're under pressure, then where's your evidence?

"Clearing their lines" and "lumping it in to the stands" are two different things. Of course they clear the ball away. However they are taught to do so in a way that maximises the opportunity to retain possession, instead of returning it direct to the opposition. You rarely even see Valdes kick long from goal kicks or from his hands, let alone the defenders in front of him.

I understand what you are saying. In general Barcelona would much rather play out of defence and are very good at doing it.

However and I don't have the link or example you are requesting, but I can assure you that Pique will on occasion use negative defensive tactics to clear danger in-front of the Barcelona goal.

I don't think you are going to listen, but at times there is obviously no other option. Far better to clear the ball aimlessly if need be, than concede.

Barcelona dominate so many games and play in the opponents third so much that they can play with a high back line to compress the play and defenders subsequently have time on the ball. Opposition teams normally play one upfront, which again provides numerical advantage and allows the defenders time to consider their options. Defenders drop deep to collect off the keeper and opposition forwards won't press man to man so again they have more time at the back to buiild attacks. Coupled with the fact they are amazing players and can control the ball on a six-pence with total confidence.

There won't be many occasions most games, when Barcelona are scrambling at the back. But when needed they will have to clear their lines, like all in football.

I am also of the opinion that our youngsters should be encouraged to pass and move and retain possession. I am sure they would enjoy it more. Emphasis should be removed from winning at all costs, to developing junior players technically. This is my biggest bug-bear with the manager who runs my lad's team. He is great at organising it all, everyone turns up on time, the oranges are fresh, but he knows little about football and has never played to a decent level, so I have to constantly bite my lip as he screams 'get rid' or 'clear your lines'. Kids should never hear - get rid - but should be educated there is a time and a place for longer clearances and the appropriate decision making. Pleasingly things are changing, but only slowly. A new generation of coaches are appearing, all more knowledgable due to Sky and the availability of coaching information. Step by step.

Pro-sport is totally different however and too much is at stake for niceties. Perfectly acceptable to clear your lines when required and an acceptable option for the very best players in the world when needed.

Again, its a different thing. I am not commenting on whether kids should or shouldnt be taught it. I am not commenting on which is right and which is wrong. I am purely and simply addressing Jim's point that Pique lumps it in to the stands at times. I've never, ever seen him do it. When he has the choice of row Z or back to the keeper, he gives it back to Valdes, every time. That is a form of clearing your lines.

I'm sure there's a topic here about Paul Clement, however I've just read 2 pages about whether barcelona's defenders clear the ball or not!!

Back onto the Clement talk please.

Someone mentioned Billy McKinley as Keans number 2, that wouldn't be a bad shout at all.

Someone mentioned Billy McKinley as Keans number 2, that wouldn't be a bad shout at all.

What?!

I don't think he's ever had experience as a successful assistant manager in this league. Isn't he some sort of youth coach at Fulham? I would be absolutely devastated if he was appointed.

Surely we've learnt to go for someone with experience this time...surely?

I'm sure there's a topic here about Paul Clement, however I've just read 2 pages about whether barcelona's defenders clear the ball or not!!

One of Kean's 'mates' and no real experience as an Assistant Manager, I can't see much changing if he comes in.

McKinley?? He'd fit in with the deceit and backstabbing ?

McKinlay is one of Kean's bessie mates. He is currently 'development squad manager' (whatever that is) at Fulham. Wouldn't be good at all.

Archived