BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers-Match Preview

Ozz

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kean's behaviour at the end of the game was an absolute disgrace and a clear incitement.

I don't know if he had seen Robbo heading to the away end and decided he'd try to cash in on the cheers for Robbo for himself but Kean was rightly booed or yelled at most of the game.

Biggest chant of the day was for Jack Walker.

I come back to the fact we were playing freefalling 8 defeats on the trot Wigan. In the last 15 minutes, they had Rovers on the rocks or as much on the rocks as you can when every third pass by them was going out of play. Seriously Wigan were abysmal and Kean's set-up still couldn't handle it.

The game was summed up by the simple truth that we couldn't handle Conor Samman who obviously thought all his birthdays had come at once playing against us.

Posession 55 - 45 (yes we conceded the majority of posession to a pie eaters' side whose passing was for the most part wayward yet we gave them time to rescue lost causes turn and come at us)

Oh, and I felt that at times, it looked like the players had given up playing for Kean, massive captain's passion from Robbo being the notable exception.

Philip - just to pick you up on a few points.

Wigan are in freefall - but their performances of late have deserved far more (hmm sounds familiar).

I thought Samman had a good match - whether that was him - or our inept defending is debateable.

Possession - oh come on, we had 10 men for most of the second half.

Given up playing for Kean - not so sure on that. I thought first half we were out-fought by Wigan - but after going to 10 men in the second half the effort put in by the players was excellent. For the first time I started to wonder whether the protests are turning counter-productive. As many stated, the players didn't come to thanks the fans at the end of the match (with one noteable exception) - so it would seem that the players are behind Kean. It would appear that the protests are starting to put up barriers between the players and the fans - and that can't be good. Possibly if Glenn recognised this - called a halt to the protests for this exact reason (i.e. the players are behind Kean - and though we feel Kean is an inept buffoon (or words to that effect) - we will respect the players stop the protests and get behind the team (though largely the protesters have remained behind the team during the match - yesterday possibly the first time chants against Kean for large parts of the match). At least this way - if any players are against Kean - it will put the onus on them to come out. To be honest if they don't sack him after that inept display yesterday - and with us starting to get cut-adrift at the bottom (though results did go our way yesterday) - they never will.

Technically speaking, Wigan's 3 goal was illegal as well. The ball was rolling from the free kick.

Will be interesting if MGP says he thought the ball was live, or if he was chancing it.

First goal - player in off-side position obscuring Robinsons view ? Not seen all the angles - but it looked that way to me.

Just watched it on MOTD. Defensively we're a shambles, We don't look like a team at all, you can't really see a shape. The back four get no protection from midfield. It's open season for the opposition midfield runners.When we go a goal up you know it's only a matter of time before the opposition score because we can't shut teams out. I've got say it but Robbo's struggling for form, I'd expect any keeper to do better on all three goals. The last one especially, I'd have been gutted letting that one in and I was only a stand in goalie. If we'd have lost to that goal I'd have cut my wrists ! Getting a kick on the head doesn't make up for those errors. It's hard to captain a team and give out bollockings when you're not playing well yourself. At least his attitude is good. We look like a team that is relegation bound. We've just played two teams that will be down there at the death, scored three goals away from home each time and come away with just two points, that's what relegation level teams do.

To get out of this mess we need to become hard to beat first and foremost, that means becoming hard to score against. The trouble is I don't think we've got the playing staff to do it, too many ball players and not enough who can put a foot in, mark up and run their blood to water. Their is light at the end of that tunnel though, Grella will be back next week, alledgedly.

On the subject of injuries what happened to Ollsen ? He played all the England v Sweden game on Tuesday and didn't seem to get a knock at any point. Where was he yesterday ? That's the thing with struggling teams, too many cry offs. If you're any good you know you'll get back in the team so if you've got a niggle you feel able to back out. In a winning team you cry off, somebody comes in and you don't get your place back, so you play through the niggles.

I watched Swansea as well on MOTD,they look a team, they've got shape. On current form I fear the worst when they come to Ewood.

• Moderation Lead

We were very lucky to get anything in the end, as ever I got my hopes up after we scored early days only for us to implode defensively. Hoilett the biggest cuplrit for that IMO.

Both teams are doomed on the evidence of that shower yesterday.

How would anyone know if the players are playing for each other or the manager? And is there a difference?

I expect that when you are down to 10 men you tend to work that much harder - even mentally.

It's also noted that but for Robbo's heroics and bravery we may have given Wigan a 3 point advantage. That's how fine the margins are.

I've got say it but Robbo's struggling for form, I'd expect any keeper to do better on all three goals.

Did MOTD show the two absolutely world class saves he did in the second half ?

First goal - thought his view was obscured by Wigan player in offside position. Second goal - again his view was obscured - and I am amazed we didn't have players on the posts - that would possible have headed it off the line anyway. Third goal - yes - oh dear.

To some it up. It was a poor performance, we should have been beaten never mind 10 men they where better the whole game. We are a team of individuals rather than a team as a whole.

And the only positive we can take is that we receive a lot of luck for once and maybe it could be a turning point but I doubt it. Not much more to say really

Did MOTD show the two absolutely world class saves he did in the second half ?

First goal - thought his view was obscured by Wigan player in offside position. Second goal - again his view was obscured - and I am amazed we didn't have players on the posts - that would possible have headed it off the line anyway. Third goal - yes - oh dear.

No it showed a good save from a shot from distance and a good reflex stop when Rodellaga shot at him from very close range. That's what I saw. Not long ago the stats said he was bottom of the Premier League goalkeepers stats, letting in every second shot. Yesterday will not have improved those stats. Are you happy with his form ? I'll bet he isn't. He gets beaten with low shots from distance too often for my liking.

As for the second goal we let the oppositions centre half ( should be no 1 target for close marking/ blocking off ) have a free header. Never mind the guys on the posts, cock ups like that need to be prevented first.

I think the best performance off the pitch was the fans who spooked the venky brothers. This was reported in the media. Can anybody share what happened.

I was asking the same thing. According to the Mail online when they arrived at the ground, the car stopped short and so they had to walk past disgruntled fans who let them know what they thought of them!

I'm all for a bit of verbal abuse at this stage (as long as it doesn't fall into racial abuse). After the way they have ruined the club, ignored the wishes of the fans and failed to get rid of the biggest problem of all, Steve Kean, it may take some strong words face to face for them to realise the level of hatred toward them and Kean.

Am I right in saying that something also happened at half time? Did someone say something to them there? Possibly a member of the board?

As for Kean reacting to the fans. It's a desperate reaction from a pathetic man who KNOWS the MAJORITY don't want him here. He knows he is out of his depth. He knows that the results have been awful. He knows what's going on behind the scenes at the club. He knows he won't get fired because of it.

Just watched it on MOTD. Defensively we're a shambles, We don't look like a team at all, you can't really see a shape. The back four get no protection from midfield. It's open season for the opposition midfield runners.When we go a goal up you know it's only a matter of time before the opposition score because we can't shut teams out. I've got say it but Robbo's struggling for form, I'd expect any keeper to do better on all three goals. The last one especially, I'd have been gutted letting that one in and I was only a stand in goalie. If we'd have lost to that goal I'd have cut my wrists ! Getting a kick on the head doesn't make up for those errors. It's hard to captain a team and give out bollockings when you're not playing well yourself. At least his attitude is good. We look like a team that is relegation bound. We've just played two teams that will be down there at the death, scored three goals away from home each time and come away with just two points, that's what relegation level teams do.

To get out of this mess we need to become hard to beat first and foremost, that means becoming hard to score against. The trouble is I don't think we've got the playing staff to do it, too many ball players and not enough who can put a foot in, mark up and run their blood to water. Their is light at the end of that tunnel though, Grella will be back next week, alledgedly.

On the subject of injuries what happened to Ollsen ? He played all the England v Sweden game on Tuesday and didn't seem to get a knock at any point. Where was he yesterday ? That's the thing with struggling teams, too many cry offs. If you're any good you know you'll get back in the team so if you've got a niggle you feel able to back out. In a winning team you cry off, somebody comes in and you don't get your place back, so you play through the niggles.

I watched Swansea as well on MOTD,they look a team, they've got shape. On current form I fear the worst when they come to Ewood.

Spot on, as for the midfield, I noted on numerous occasions our back four having to cope with three or four players and our midfield chasing back, good sides defend in two banks of four, we are not getting enough players behind the ball and thats why we leak goals, been saying it all season, why cant the imposter see it!

coming to something when people are starting to pick on robinson when its kean who is the real villain.

Robinson isn't a puppet with Kean pulling his strings, he should have done better with a few of them goals. I don't want to slate him though.

I was asking the same thing. According to the Mail online when they arrived at the ground, the car stopped short and so they had to walk past disgruntled fans who let them know what they thought of them!

I'm all for a bit of verbal abuse at this stage (as long as it doesn't fall into racial abuse). After the way they have ruined the club, ignored the wishes of the fans and failed to get rid of the biggest problem of all, Steve Kean, it may take some strong words face to face for them to realise the level of hatred toward them and Kean.

Am I right in saying that something also happened at half time? Did someone say something to them there? Possibly a member of the board?

As for Kean reacting to the fans. It's a desperate reaction from a pathetic man who KNOWS the MAJORITY don't want him here. He knows he is out of his depth. He knows that the results have been awful. He knows what's going on behind the scenes at the club. He knows he won't get fired because of it.

They apparently took some stick in the corporate area as well. Spoke to someone who was in there at the time, but do not want to divulge who.

I do hope someone can find out why they did not return for the 2nd half

Spot on, as for the midfield, I noted on numerous occasions our back four having to cope with three or four players and our midfield chasing back, good sides defend in two banks of four, we are not getting enough players behind the ball and thats why we leak goals, been saying it all season, why cant the imposter see it!

That's what's killing us, we're too easy to get at through the middle. The centre backs are having to do too much and the full backs are being dragged around covering up as well. We need players in midfield who want to fight like tigers to get the ball back and to do it as far up the pitch as possible. We're got midfielders who are content to jog around until the opposition give us the ball back. At the other extreme you've got the likes of Dunny diving in to late tackles because of a sheer lack of athleticism and tackling ability.

If we're still in with a shout come the window we need some workers in midfield not fancy dan keepy uppy 5 a side wonders.

To be fair to Kean he had the team set up reasonably well at the end of last season with P Jones and J Jones forming a strong spine in the centre. The failure to replace those two properly (or negotiate a reasonable fee for J Jones) was the biggest mistake in the summer in my opinion. Anyone know if J Jones is playing first team football at present ? If not he must be worth trying to sign again - at least on loan.

On the subject of injuries what happened to Ollsen ? He played all the England v Sweden game on Tuesday and didn't seem to get a knock at any point. Where was he yesterday ?

He didn't feature against Denmark because of an injury, but recovered in time to face England. Like you say he played the whole game, but perhaps aggravated the injury. Or he got injured in training, who knows.

Btw it's Olsson. It's not that hard to spell.

Back in London.

Top post from 1864 and great to meet a lot of people from the website as I ventured around Wigan.

Glen, hope you are OK mate.

Kean settled one thing irrevocably today- he completely ripped the carpet from under the feet of that tiny dwindling band of supporters who think we play good football under Kean.

That was the ugliest most inept performance yet under the imposter.

Put simply it was all too clear what the instructions were- players had been told to hold their positions.

So the defence was static and horribly bad.

Midfield was simply static.

Hoilett was getting no return playing on the left but was basically told to hug that touchline.

Time and again players looked for an out ball to the right but nobody was there.

I lost count of the times Nzonzi had the ball, looked up and saw statues all around him in yellow.

Yak took two goals well and fluffed another simply through being horribly wanting for pace. The Wigan defence in truth had it easy. OK we scored 3 but this was Wigan and goals two and three were freaks courtesy of indulgant officials.

I come back to the fact we were playing freefalling 8 defeats on the trot Wigan. In the last 15 minutes, they had Rovers on the rocks or as much on the rocks as you can when every third pass by them was going out of play. Seriously Wigan were abysmal and Kean's set-up still couldn't handle it.

The game was summed up by the simple truth that we couldn't handle Conor Samman who obviously thought all his birthdays had come at once playing against us.

The stats reflect the true state of the game today and how utterly dire we were:

Posession 55 - 45 (yes we conceded the majority of posession to a pie eaters' side whose passing was for the most part wayward yet we gave them time to rescue lost causes turn and come at us)

Shots on 11-2 (yes our only attempts on target went in and Al Habsy didn't make a single save all afternoon. By way of contrast, Robbo pulled off a couple of absolutely outstanding saves)

Shots off 10-4 (yes that is how little we managed to get anywhere near their goal. Three of the Wigan misses were truly horrible misses at that and a more confident side would have notched)

Oh, and I felt that at times, it looked like the players had given up playing for Kean, massive captain's passion from Robbo being the notable exception.

So 3-3 and both clubs even deeper in the mire at the foot of the table, but in truth losing 1-5 would not have been an unfair result to Rovers.

Out of interest, who would you have picked to play yesterday?? I thought we played Ok when we went down to 10 men (A stat you seemed to have missed in your analysis by the way) and I didn't have too many issues with the team selection considering the injuries. The performance in the first half was very poor and overall we did well to scrape a point considering the extra man that Wigan had.

In any other season you could put yesterday's result down to a one off game, but we desperately needed to win and we weren't good enough. Ince was fired when we were 4 points from safety and had failed to beat Wigan. The man has to go.

To be fair to Kean he had the team set up reasonably well at the end of last season with P Jones and J Jones forming a strong spine in the centre. The failure to replace those two properly (or negotiate a reasonable fee for J Jones) was the biggest mistake in the summer in my opinion. Anyone know if J Jones is playing first team football at present ? If not he must be worth trying to sign again - at least on loan.

He's barely playing, he's made 6 starts and 3 sub appearances.

Archived