BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers-Match Preview

Ozz

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also Samba is injured for at least another 3 weeks. So can expect something like;

Robinson

Salgado

Givet

Dann

Ollson

Hoillett

Pedersen

Nzonzi

Rochina

Formica

Yak

Wow. Bad news. Agree that team is likely but I would prefer to stick Formica on the bench, start Vukcevic and move Hoilett behind the Yak.

Salgado and Dann are, on this season form, significantly weaker than Lowe or Samba. Bit nervous about this....

I'd bring Vukcie in for Formo, away from home its too much of a luxury to have Formica and Rochina in the team. Vukcie gave some good protection on the right when he played against spurs.

Also Dann/Salgado for Samba/Lowe.

Given how rubbish Victor Moses has been this season, I'm fully expecting him to tear Salgado several new ones on his way to a MotM performace. Such is the way with Rovers and opposition out-of-form attackers :(

The ones to watch are Rodallega, who hasn't scored all season and he's much better than that and anything we have, and Di Santo, who I am sure would like to rub our nose in it!

I fear there are a few banana skins awaiting us!

Lawro's call - Prediction: 2-1 - let's hope he's wrong:

"A massive game, but a fact that will not be reflected in the size of the crowd on display.

In the north west we call this a 'towsy' game. It will be a dog eat dog affair, it won't be great football and there will be lots of tackles flying in with both sides really struggling to stay up this season.

Wigan have been on a horrid run but could have got a point at Wolves last time out and the fact that they do have to win may be the incentive they need to defend better.

Roberto Martinez could have jumped ship in the summer but didn't and his situation looks relatively calm when compared to Steve Kean at Blackburn.

Blackburn have been under less pressure away from home and have played better away from their home fans but I back Wigan to come out on top".

When we were relegated last time, it was only with a few months hindsight that I was able to look at the team and think " no wonder we went down! "

I`m looking at the current team and already thinking the same before xmas. The strikers we employ are shocking.

Our strikers are not the best but there are worst-Wolves, Wigan, WBA, Everton, Stoke have scored less to date off the top of my head and most of them have not played 7 teams from the upper reaches of the table. I'm expecting the likes of Hoilett, the Yak , Rochina and Formica to stick something in at Wigan before being substitued on 70 mins to add late macabre ( and ultimately depressing|) drama.

From the little I have seen of Wigan they look quite similar to us, nice football with no cutting edge and poor defensively. I can see this being another draw, probably 2-2 or even 3-3. I am down in Lancashire on Saturday but just can't motivate myself to go I am so disillusioned with the current state of affairs. Bad show I know but there you go.

I got my tickets for me and my mate.

i just turned 18 and this is my first legal 18th away day, so im looking to get absolutely gazeboed.

lets hope the lads can get us the result the fans deserve, not venky's or kean, the people who really matter.

p.s. im going to be dressed up as a dog, so keep an eye out for me! :) COYB

What happened to Ozz's preview?, wanted to know the name's of the pub's you recommended pre-match, got the Wetherspoons but not the other two.

All I can see know is the vid of the ant taking a penalty.

It got a Venky ban I believe. Pubs-try The Anvil at the top of the bus station, Wallgate end. The other was The Swan And Railway near the stations, but it may well ne closed now.

An alternative would the Brickmakers near where the old Springfield Park ground was. Short walk to the ground from there.

Lawro's call - Prediction: 2-1 - let's hope he's wrong:

"A massive game, but a fact that will not be reflected in the size of the crowd on display.

In the north west we call this a 'towsy' game. It will be a dog eat dog affair, it won't be great football and there will be lots of tackles flying in with both sides really struggling to stay up this season.

Wigan have been on a horrid run but could have got a point at Wolves last time out and the fact that they do have to win may be the incentive they need to defend better.

Roberto Martinez could have jumped ship in the summer but didn't and his situation looks relatively calm when compared to Steve Kean at Blackburn.

Blackburn have been under less pressure away from home and have played better away from their home fans but I back Wigan to come out on top".

What the feck is a 'towsy' game?

Too early for the 'Jingle Bells' chant? We may not get another chance this year with our form.

Always look forward to Wigan away. Early train to Wigan, few in Spoons then onto the Round Robin pub.

Overdue a win there, so I'll go 3-1 Rovers......Givet with the winner! ole ole ole ole....

It got a Venky ban I believe. Pubs-try The Anvil at the top of the bus station, Wallgate end. The other was The Swan And Railway near the stations, but it may well ne closed now.

An alternative would the Brickmakers near where the old Springfield Park ground was. Short walk to the ground from there.

Wouldn't bother with the Brickmakers unless you want a quick shifty on way to the ground - its only small and can't make its mind up when to open.

Plenty in town - Moon under Water (Wetherspoons) /Berkley /Last orders/ bars on King St dependent upon what is open

On way - Pear Tree / SAMS BAR #2

Can also recommend SAMS BAR#1 (good pint relatively cheap) behind the Mercure (Oak Hotel) near Wigan Little Theatre just out side the centre - aiming to be heading here first myself then onto the Anvil

As also mentioned by Preston Blue earlier - Newtown Labour Club - behind the Police Station across from Robin Park

There is also the 'Marquee' at the ground.

Thanks, Anvil was the main one I was after.

Archived