BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Youth Cup Semi

folkdevil

Makes depressing reading this site sometimes, people should lighten up a bit. Our young lads get to the semi final and then go and beat Burnley and still people are moaning. What do you expect? These lads have never played in a game with even 1% of the profile and importance of this and in front of 10,000 they go out and win. I think we should all congratulate them and wish them all the best for finishing the job next week rather than criticising them and comparing them unfavourably to Pele.

COYB!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm guessing that Adam Henley, who has looked capable when in the first team should give up now because he didn't look anything special tonight?

Braddock dear boy, I didn't say that. What I said was that only one player caught my eye tonight and that was number 8, a small, slight lad who I'm told was Osawe (couldn't read screen from where I was sat). In any match, any player with real potential, whether good, bad or indifferent on the day, usually does at least one thing that makes you sit up and take notice and there were very, very few of those tonight.

Think you miss the point. My point was that those who are really going to make it don't get fazed on the 'big' occasion - one poster suggested the occasion had got to them a bit. It was not a criticism of the Academy.

I remember Damien Duff's PL debut as a 17 year old in a PL game at Ewood in front of almost 30,000 - it didn't effect him. Bottom line is you either have it or you don't.

Bottom line is that these kids have gone further in this prestigious national competition than those of Arsenal, Spurs, City, Everton, Liverpool and put Newcastle out on their own ground in the last round. They are a credit to Rovers. You though prefer to write of their fledgling careers on the evidence of the one Youth game that you have seen.

No surprise I suppose, you've done nothing but moan about this game for the last week.

We are supposed to be an Academy level youth set-up,a much better level than Burnley....there really wasn't that much between the sides tbh.

Uh you mean the same academy that produced Jones, Hanley and Lowe?

How many youth games have you actually been to see in the last few years to see the players' development? You go to see them once and essentially come on here to say they are all ######. That is really unfair on the players who have been working hard to improve and reach these semis.

Very easy for most of you to say 'technically poor', 'god help us if that's the best we have' when it's the only time you've seen them.

That was an under par performance tonight, we were much better in earlier rounds. But so what? These are young lads who are obviously still raw.

Remember you only need 1 or 2 'graduates' to the first team a year.

This club has so many issues, but that youth set up is something you should be proud of.

Fair comment Matty and your last sentence I agree. But I can only go off what I saw.

It was a decent performance - especially first half - without ever really crafting anything to threaten their keeper. Second half Bumley came out fighting - which was a little disappointing as all the action was in the Darwen end half for about 70-75 mins.

We got back into control in the last 20 minutes (ironically our sending off helped us) but still couldn't really create. I thought Hanley's lack of movement made it difficult for his team mates - perhaps he had a bit if stage fright.

I think Bumley will be very pleased to still be very much in the tie and will believe they can intimidate us over there and get the result. Let's hope not!

EDIT: slightly unfair of me to say "didn't create". We could have scored a couple but it would have been a case of scoring with every chance had we taken the couple in the second half.

Braddock dear boy, I didn't say that. What I said was that only one player caught my eye tonight and that was number 8, a small, slight lad who I'm told was Osawe (couldn't read screen from where I was sat). In any match, any player with real potential, whether good, bad or indifferent on the day, usually does at least one thing that makes you sit up and take notice and there were very, very few of those tonight.

You said nobody stood out and if this was the best we had to offer in this country (which nobody was claiming) then it's a sorry state, or something along those lines. I presume this included Henley who has looked decent when making the step up and now you claim you didn't mean that. You then moaned that we didn't have players with the resolve of Best or Pele.

Write a complaints letter to their parents or give it a rest with the moaning.

Makes depressing reading this site sometimes, people should lighten up a bit. Our young lads get to the semi final and then go and beat Burnley and still people are moaning. What do you expect? These lads have never played in a game with even 1% of the profile and importance of this and in front of 10,000 they go out and win. I think we should all congratulate them and wish them all the best for finishing the job next week rather than criticising them and comparing them unfavourably to Pele.

COYB!

Too right, they are Rovers YOUTH team not flippin Real Madrid. The occasion got to plenty of them no doubt.

Bottom line is that these kids have gone further in this prestigious national competition than those of Arsenal, Spurs, City, Everton, Liverpool and put Newcastle out on their own ground in the last round. They are a credit to Rovers. You though prefer to write of their fledgling careers on the evidence of the one Youth game that you have seen.

No surprise I suppose, you've done nothing but moan about this game for the last week.

Agree, both Rovers and Burnley have done well to progress to semis, however, it's not all about winning at this level. If what I saw tonight is represenative of the country as a whole then it's no wonder that as a nation we struggle technically. Academies are surely meant to hone the best talent and produce fine young technically gifted players.

I wouldn't pretend to write any carrer off - what I've said, just as others have said who went to the match, is that the standard was disappointing.

As for moaning for the last week, get your facts right. I had a bit of a moan yesterday about ground areas made available by Rovers and this was justified on what I saw tonight. You call it sport when two morons threaten a 70+ year old when he politely asks them to sit down as he can't see the match. WTF..........

On a side note, it was great to go to a game at Ewood and not have to watch the clueless boffoon on the touchline.

Bumley fans tried to win us up with chants of Keano but we didn't bite and instead the great anti-Bumley atmosphere was maintained.

Exactly as it should be - as I'm sure even longsider would agree!

Mercer you saw them at one game I'm afraid you are talking out of your backside. Get off your high horse and Go support Burnley as all you do is critizise every possible thing.

Were you there ?

How many youth games have you actually been to see in the last few years to see the players' development? You go to see them once and essentially come on here to say they are all ######. That is really unfair on the players who have been working hard to improve and reach these semis.

I didn't say they were all ###### Miker,Just a personal observation that nobody on the Rovers side really made you take notice and think 'that lad has got something special'.Great that we have won but I have a feeling the game at Turf moor could be the acid test for these lads.

You said nobody stood out and if this was the best we had to offer in this country (which nobody was claiming) then it's a sorry state, or something along those lines. I presume this included Henley who has looked decent when making the step up and now you claim you didn't mean that. You then moaned that we didn't have players with the resolve of Best or Pele.

Write a complaints letter to their parents or give it a rest with the moaning.

Braddock - find an empty phone box and argue with yourself.

If you are going to try and rationalise then at least be factually correct.

You call it sport when two morons threaten a 70+ year old when he politely asks them to sit down as he can't see the match. WTF..........

Who's said anything was wrong with that part of your original post?

Keep your backtracking though.

Why would this singular game be representative of all English football? REACTIONARY.

I agree. Mercerman and garners are being really harsh. 1 youth team game and players are condemed! terrible.

oh and sorry for being pedantic.. but it wasnt the captain that got sent off (edwards was captain), it was o'connell.

burnley came to frustrate and defended well. Rovers played most of the football.

was impressed with edwards, hanley.. and Osawe stood out. Hugo was quiet, but showed decent touches.

Interesting stat given to me by my dingle mate, Hewitt (number 8) burnley's best player was released by rovers at aged 10. He was the only one of theirs that stood out.

rovers definitely missed cotton tonight.

well done the ballboy, and the blackburn end created their best atmosphere in a couple of years.

It is all set up for the 2nd leg. looking forward to it already! :rover:

I was there and I enjoyed the game.

Some good and some bad but these are kids who are learning the trade.

I was impressed by two players, Rovers number 8 and Burnley's number 4.

Next wednesday might see the metropolis of bumley getting trashed if they come to a youth match and pick fights with the kids.

This is a decent Burnley youth team don't forget, they knocked out Fulham who have some very good young players including frei who has not looked out of place in their first team.

They were very decent despite the seeming difference between the two clubs as I don't think that Burnley even had a full complement of subs and two of those who were warming-up looked no older than 15 !

I agree. Mercerman and garners are being really harsh. 1 youth team game and players are condemed! terrible.

oh and sorry for being pedantic.. but it wasnt the captain that got sent off (edwards was captain), it was o'connell.

burnley came to frustrate and defended well. Rovers played most of the football.

was impressed with edwards, hanley.. and Osawe stood out. Hugo was quiet, but showed decent touches.

Interesting stat given to me by my dingle mate, Hewitt (number 8) burnley's best player was released by rovers at aged 10. He was the only one of theirs that stood out.

rovers definitely missed cotton tonight.

well done the ballboy, and the blackburn end created their best atmosphere in a couple of years.

It is all set up for the 2nd leg. looking forward to it already! :rover:

Where was Cotton?

Archived