BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Youth Cup Semi

folkdevil

It was indeed the finest schoolboy team from Blackburn for many years. From memory they got knocked out in the quarter final which was played at Ewood Park. Mark Brennan was involved but also the likes of Mark Bennett, Mick Young, Mohammed Ilyas, Peter McCrae and a host of other outstanding young players. Several of them had successful careers in local non-league football.

Alan Cameron from Witton Park was also involved.

My kid brother. The only schoolboy ever to play 100 times for Blackburn and Darwen. He was always big for his age and broke into the team a year earlier than usual. Also played for Lancashire (as did half of that side). Apart from a couple of games with Rovers reserves he never did anything as an adult and just played the occasional Blackburn Combination game. It was a very good team, Pete McRae was an excellent centre forward. And yes, it was the quarter final, just checked with our kid. Their opponents had a black kid playing on the wing who was like lightning and went on to play top flight football, the name escapes me though.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My kid brother. The only schoolboy ever to play 100 times for Blackburn and Darwen. He was always big for his age and broke into the team a year earlier than usual. Also played for Lancashire (as did half of that side). Apart from a couple of games with Rovers reserves he never did anything as an adult and just played the occasional Blackburn Combination game. It was a very good team, Pete McRae was an excellent centre forward. And yes, it was the quarter final, just checked with our kid. Their opponents had a black kid playing on the wing who was like lightning and went on to play top flight football, the name escapes me though.

Vince Hilaire ?

Strange how outstanding schoolboy footballers oftten do not make it at professional level. In the mid 1960s Ian Kendall was outstanding for Blackburn Schools yet failed to get beyond Rovers reserves.

Vince Hilaire ?

Strange how outstanding schoolboy footballers oftten do not make it at professional level. In the mid 1960s Ian Kendall was outstanding for Blackburn Schools yet failed to get beyond Rovers reserves.

Don't think it was him Jim, I'm sure he's more my age group.

I remember that whilst they were a really good side they could look after themselves too. In the game you mentioned the Blackburn centre forward (Haworth?) got involved in a real battle with the South London centre half. They were two really big lads and knocked lumps out of each other and I can't remember either of the whinging to the referee. I too remeber the black wide player but I don't think it was Hilaire although I'm sure at that time he was affiliated to Crystal Palace.

You must be Andy then?

I remember that whilst they were a really good side they could look after themselves too. In the game you mentioned the Blackburn centre forward (Haworth?) got involved in a real battle with the South London centre half. They were two really big lads and knocked lumps out of each other and I can't remember either of the whinging to the referee. I too remeber the black wide player but I don't think it was Hilaire although I'm sure at that time he was affiliated to Crystal Palace.

You must be Andy then?

Yes indeed - Slowest centre forward ever to grace the Blackburn Combination :)

You're right about the Crystal Palace connection and I'm sure that lad played against Rovers at Ewood in later years..it will come back to me.

The lad Haworth that played up front in our kid's team - he was a big lad but I played alongside him a few times and funnily enough he didn't use his size well enough in the adult game and got bullied out of games. Pete McRae was a class act though, great finisher and very quick, with a good reading of the game. I was surprised he didn't play at a higher level, but it does prove the earlier point made that being good at that age guarantees nothing.

You must be Andy then?

Still can't remember the name of the fast winger but apparently Michael Thomas of England, Liverpool and Arsenal fame played for South London in that game!

John Salako ?

I'm not quite sure how I can put this in a politically correct way. Ah, begger it, what the hell, this lad was proper black, darker than Salako. Good shout though :) I've asked my brother if he can remember who it was so he's having a think about it. I had thought it was perhaps Rod Thomas (not the Welsh player), but Mick doesn't think so.

What the feck is going on ?

Phil Thompson‏@Whalleywonder

@CryerRovers absolute disgrace Rovers applying to play YC semi final at Leigh with 2.00 ko. Not fair to players and devalued match status

If correct, Rovers need hang their heads in shame.

Where is the Burnley home leg being played - Skipton or Harrogate ?

@CryerRovers absolute disgrace Rovers applying to play YC semi final at Leigh with 2.00 ko. Not fair to players and devalued match status

The game is to be played at Ewood on Thursday 22nd March

Cryer has put the record straight:

Andrew Cryer‏@

Youth dates confirmed by Burnley. First leg at Ewood on March 22, then second leg March 28 at Turf. Kick offs 7pm

Thank goodness for that.

As far 'Whalleywonder' - get your feckin act together !

The might be the same year we beat Liverpool at home 3-2 as well, though it could have been 1963.

Liverpool quickly went 2-0 up, Rovers clawed it back to 2-2 at half time including a Mike Harrison penalty and we scored the winner in the second half.

Scousers went home thoroughly unhappy; lots of beer bottles being thrown around I remember.

Hi Jim, I remember that game well, the first time I'd seen real trouble in and around the the ground and lets just remember who the visitors were. I think I'm right in saying this game saw the end of the little forms for the kids to sit on around the perimeter wall. It was the first time I saw Mike Harrison take a penalty. I've never seen a player side foot the ball harder, it went in like a rocket. I was right in line with it behind the goals at the Blackburn end, but for the net I could have been killed !

Also in season 1963-4 we beat Everton at home in exactly the same circumstances. They went 2-0 up and their fans were singing Jingle Bells as the snow came down.

Stirring 2nd half come-back with Douglas scoring a penalty in the dying minutes to put us 3-2 up!

One of the most enjoyable games ever.

Also in season 1963-4 we beat Everton at home in exactly the same circumstances. They went 2-0 up and their fans were singing Jingle Bells as the snow came down.

Stirring 2nd half come-back with Douglas scoring a penalty in the dying minutes to put us 3-2 up!

One of the most enjoyable games ever.

I remmeber that game well also. Not quite as you remember it though. It was in November 1962. We were 0-0 at half time but Rovers scored first after half time, Ian Lawther out jumping Brian Labone to power in a header from a Mike Ferguson cross. Everton came back and scored two identical goals in quick succession, both times a midfield player firing home a half cleared corner through a crowded goalmouth past an un-sighted Fred Else. Rovers rallied strongly and led by an outstanding Fred Pickering took the game to Everton. With about 5 minutes to go and it looking like Rovers would go home empty handed Pickering got away down by the corner of the Nuttall St/ Blackburn end and fired in a shot from an acute angle that beat Gordon West all ends up.

2-2 and we breathed again. Before you could blink Pickering was away again in exactly the same place, this time an Everton player brought him crashing down for a penalty with the last kick of the game ! Dougie strolled up into the teeth of a blizzard and calmly sent the ball one way and the Everton 'keeper the other. Happy days. I walked down to the Boulevard with a spring in my step that night !

Unfortunately Everton's management team had seen just how good Pickering was and it wasn't too long before they and their cheque book came calling. You're right about one thing though- it was a great game. In my top 20 all-time Rovers favourites. We drew the return fixture at Goodison 0-0 in the following April, that was the season Everton won the Championship so 3 pts out of 4 was pretty good going.

Options

Hi Jim, I remember that game well, the first time I'd seen real trouble in and around the the ground and lets just remember who the visitors were. I think I'm right in saying this game saw the end of the little forms for the kids to sit on around the perimeter wall. It was the first time I saw Mike Harrison take a penalty. I've never seen a player side foot the ball harder, it went in like a rocket. I was right in line with it behind the goals at the Blackburn end, but for the net I could have been killed !

I remember that penalty too - why are matches of 50 plus years ago so clear ? I can remember every goal of the 7-2 drubbing of Tottenham.

With regards to the little forms for the kids they were definitely still in use in the our first season back in the second division 1966 - 67. I rememeber an early-season night match against Charlton and being right behind the line of the ball when Andy McEvoy fired in late winner for a 2-1 victory. I also threw the ball to Keith Newton for him to take a throw-in. My throw wasn't quite straight and he glared at me but I never let it bother me because he was a hero and a wonderful player.

Great days.

I remmeber that game well also. Not quite as you remember it though. It was in November 1962. We were 0-0 at half time but Rovers scored first after half time, Ian Lawther out jumping Brian Labone to power in a header from a Mike Ferguson cross. Everton came back and scored two identical goals in quick succession, both times a midfield player firing home a half cleared corner through a crowded goalmouth past an un-sighted Fred Else. Rovers rallied strongly and led by an outstanding Fred Pickering took the game to Everton. With about 5 minutes to go and it looking like Rovers would go home empty handed Pickering got away down by the corner of the Nuttall St/ Blackburn end and fired in a shot from an acute angle that beat Gordon West all ends up.

2-2 and we breathed again. Before you could blink Pickering was away again in exactly the same place, this time an Everton player brought him crashing down for a penalty with the last kick of the game ! Dougie strolled up into the teeth of a blizzard and calmly sent the ball one way and the Everton 'keeper the other. Happy days. I walked down to the Boulevard with a spring in my step that night !

Unfortunately Everton's management team had seen just how good Pickering was and it wasn't too long before they and their cheque book came calling. You're right about one thing though- it was a great game. In my top 20 all-time Rovers favourites. We drew the return fixture at Goodison 0-0 in the following April, that was the season Everton won the Championship so 3 pts out of 4 was pretty good going.

Options

Well I got the score right and the pen! Thanks for clearing that up. I was certain in my own mind that that game was played in 1963. Increasingly "in my own mind' is the best place to be!

It is really great reading everyones nostalgic memories of "the old days".

My first game was against Leicester at Wembley in 1991. Happy memories from that era are what is getting me through the current "situation".

Looking forward to watching the Youth Team. Anyone know how much tickets will be and the criteria to buy?

It is really great reading everyones nostalgic memories of "the old days".

My first game was against Leicester at Wembley in 1991. Happy memories from that era are what is getting me through the current "situation".

Looking forward to watching the Youth Team. Anyone know how much tickets will be and the criteria to buy?

Me too, as I said Venkies can't take away the memories.

Archived