BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Youth Cup Semi

folkdevil

I think Tiny Taylor could have played in that final.

No he didnt, long before his time, I didnt make that side, it was a good one but kept friends with Keith Newton up to his untimely death, even worked with him in later years!!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barry Ratcliffe who played on the wing in the 1959 final went on to play 50 games for the Rovers first team. The rest hardly played Div 1 football at all although Alan Bradshaw and Vinnie Leech had long careers in the lower leagues. Paddy Daly who was fancied to be the next Bryan Douglas sunk without much of a trace.

Thanks for that information, TS. It's nice to find out what happened to some of the other players of that team.

What about Paddy Mulvey and Barry Griffiths?

Barry Ratcliffe who played on the wing in the 1959 final went on to play 50 games for the Rovers first team. The rest hardly played Div 1 football at all although Alan Bradshaw and Vinnie Leech had long careers in the lower leagues. Paddy Daly who was fancied to be the next Bryan Douglas sunk without much of a trace.

Alan Bradshaw scored the winner in a 3-2 victory at Goodison circa 1964. Might be wrong but think he later became a schoolteacher in Blackburn.

That'll be den, 47er.

We've played in the youth final in the last few years - that's the game I was referring to. Pickering,Newton and England? Fabulous, fabulous players.

Sorry Den--typo! Team was:

Griffiths, Wells, Pickering, England, Newton, Leech, Ratcliffe, Bradshaw, Jervis, Daly, Mulvey.

Beat West Ham 2-1 over 2 legs.

I think Tyrone meant Taylor playing in the 2001 final against Arsenal, which we lost 6-3 over two legs.

We had Neil Danns and Jonathan Walters in the 2001 team.

Among the 1998 team that lost to Everton in the Final were Leam Richardson, Tiny Taylor and a guy called David Dunn - wonder what happened to him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals_of_the_1990s#1997.2F98:_Everton_v._Blackburn_.283-1.2C_2-2.29

Alan Bradshaw scored the winner in a 3-2 victory at Goodison circa 1964. Might be wrong but think he later became a schoolteacher in Blackburn.

I was proud to be there. Did Duggie score the other two?

I'd be interested to see that 2003 line up. I know not many became Rovers regulars but I think one or two have had decent careers elsewhere.

I'm surprised that Burnley made it past Fulham and I had no idea the facecombers had a decent youth set up. Interesting that they have a few Irish players and I seem to remember that #### Billy Hamilton was doing a bit of scouting for them.

I dont know much about youth football but I suspect that, with technique levels being still at developmental levels for some, the side who is more "up for it" should have the edge. I'd reckon this makes the Dingles favourites given how the rustic end of the M65 gets all hysterical at the prospect of taking on their illustrious rivals.

If the Yahoos do prevail they will never let it drop believe me. Speaking of which, I wonder where Sam Dingle is these days. I would have thought the last 15 months would have been manna from heaven for him.

Among the 1998 team that lost to Everton in the Final were Leam Richardson, Tiny Taylor and a guy called David Dunn - wonder what happened to him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals_of_the_1990s#1997.2F98:_Everton_v._Blackburn_.283-1.2C_2-2.29

I heard that Dunn fellow went on to run a pie N chip shop in manchester:

jimmy-dunn-2.jpg

Just to tie up a few loose ends-

Barry Griffiths played 2 games for Rovers first team then drifted out of pro football.

Dave Wells played 8 league games for Rochdale at full back. I remember their manager doing a " Fred Pickering " with him and playing him at centre forward. He was banging the goals in for fun in the reserves and was due to start for the first team up front, then he broke his leg. Career over.

Vinnie Leech played 108 league games for Bury, and 59 for Rochdale.

Barry Ratcliffe played 26 league games for Scunthorpe and 11 for Rochdale.

Alan Bradshaw made 11 first team appearances for Rovers before leaving for Crewe. He played in the league 287 times for Crewe.

Billy Jervis made 1 league appearance for Gillingham

Paddy Daly played 3 times for Rovers first team in the League before leaving for Southport where he made 10 appearances in the league.

Paddy Mulvey moved to Accrington Stanley but according to my records didn't play for the first team there.

I take it we all know what became of Newton, England and Pickering.

By the way the scorers in the Rovers win v Everton game in the 1964-65 season were McEvoy 2, Bradshaw 1. I believe Bradshaw scored on his debut v Wolves away.

I think Tyrone meant Taylor playing in the 2001 final against Arsenal, which we lost 6-3 over two legs.

In which case he is mistaken.

Tiny Taylor played in the previous final we lost against Everton, one in which I think David Dunn also played.

The third Youth final we played in, the one against Arsenal, was the first time none of our players went on to play regularly in the top Division.

I expect that Neill Danns was the closest.

Did Walters actually play in the final-I thought he was sacked during a season and might have gone before the final?

In which case he is mistaken.

Tiny Taylor played in the previous final we lost against Everton, one in which I think David Dunn also played.

The third Youth final we played in, the one against Arsenal, was the first time none of our players went on to play regularly in the top Division.

I expect that Neill Danns was the closest.

Ah, there you go then. So the bottom line is that to reach the FA youth cup final you must have a very good team. Not necessarily players that will make the grade in the top flight.

I remember JW telling me that rovers academy were good at providing players to lower league side free of charge, while it cost our club millions.

We beat Liverpool At Anfield in the same season!

The might be the same year we beat Liverpool at home 3-2 as well, though it could have been 1963.

Liverpool quickly went 2-0 up, Rovers clawed it back to 2-2 at half time including a Mike Harrison penalty and we scored the winner in the second half.

Scousers went home thoroughly unhappy; lots of beer bottles being thrown around I remember.

The might be the same year we beat Liverpool at home 3-2 as well, though it could have been 1963.

Liverpool quickly went 2-0 up, Rovers clawed it back to 2-2 at half time including a Mike Harrison penalty and we scored the winner in the second half.

Scousers went home thoroughly unhappy; lots of beer bottles being thrown around I remember.

Also in season 1963-4 we beat Everton at home in exactly the same circumstances. They went 2-0 up and their fans were singing Jingle Bells as the snow came down.

Stirring 2nd half come-back with Douglas scoring a penalty in the dying minutes to put us 3-2 up!

One of the most enjoyable games ever.

Speaking of which, I wonder where Sam Dingle is these days. I would have thought the last 15 months would have been manna from heaven for him.

Morning deryck.

I do still browse occasionally, but not really bothered posting. The Venky's have pretty much done my work for me, there doesn't seem much to add these days.

All the fight seems to have gone out of your lot. Even Gav seems subdued, although I noticed he's still twitching over this youth game... old habits, eh?

As regards the youth set-up, we've done well to get a good group together. No academy and so many Prem teams on your doorstep doesn't make it easy but we seem to have cast the net fairly wide and got a few decent prospects in. Should be a couple of good games, aside from all the crap that follows this fixture round.

He certainly did, and he helped to run the Blackburn and Darwen schoolboys team for many years, including the very early 80s side containing Mark Brennan, (who went on to play for Ipswich for years) that went as far as (I think) the national final and lost to a south London team.

Morning deryck.

I do still browse occasionally, but not really bothered posting. The Venky's have pretty much done my work for me, there doesn't seem much to add these days.

All the fight seems to have gone out of your lot. Even Gav seems subdued, although I noticed he's still twitching over this youth game... old habits, eh?

As regards the youth set-up, we've done well to get a good group together. No academy and so many Prem teams on your doorstep doesn't make it easy but we seem to have cast the net fairly wide and got a few decent prospects in. Should be a couple of good games, aside from all the crap that follows this fixture round.

Wow, almost sounds like you feel sorry for us?

He certainly did, and he helped to run the Blackburn and Darwen schoolboys team for many years, including the very early 80s side containing Mark Brennan, (who went on to play for Ipswich for years) that went as far as (I think) the national final and lost to a south London team.

It was indeed the finest schoolboy team from Blackburn for many years. From memory they got knocked out in the quarter final which was played at Ewood Park. Mark Brennan was involved but also the likes of Mark Bennett, Mick Young, Mohammed Ilyas, Peter McCrae and a host of other outstanding young players. Several of them had successful careers in local non-league football.

Alan Cameron from Witton Park was also involved.

Archived